The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:16 pm 

Beautiful model Phil. Since they had a similar paint scheme I thought you might like to see these pictures of Euryalus at that time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dickfalmouth/Euryalus#

Best wishes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:21 am 
Thanks for the comment,Dick,and the photos.I noticed that Euryalus had a camo-patterned deck.I`ve been unable to find any info regarding Cleopatras deck.I hope I`ve made the right choice! Thanks again Phil

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:15 pm 
Just a quick update on how the Cleopatra is progessing bye Phil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:31 am 

For my next project I too am thinking of a Dido class in Camouflage (as I am also a Camouflage fan) not sure which one yet there is quite a few to choose from.

Mine will be 1:96 1760mm long and 210mm beam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:05 am 

Just seen the picture of HMS Euryalus with a camouflage deck pattern. Has anyone more details. How is the pattern applied where we can’t see in the picture?

I know that instructions for painting horizontal surfaces such as turret tops give a relative colour to adjacent vertical coloured surfaces does this apply to decks in Camouflage?

And as Phil asked did Cleopatra have the same as she has similar camouflage?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:35 am 
Tom@Crewe wrote:
Just seen the picture of HMS Euryalus with a camouflage deck pattern. Has anyone more details. How is the pattern applied where we can’t see in the picture?

To ascertain the pattern you will have to have photos. No designs showing the deck patterns have survived.

I know that instructions for painting horizontal surfaces such as turret tops give a relative colour to adjacent vertical coloured surfaces does this apply to decks in Camouflage?

The answer is NO.

And as Phil asked did Cleopatra have the same as she has similar camouflage?

You will need to find photos, NO other way.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:44 am 
Talk of the HMS Ulysses reminded me of some things. I think that there might have been an article on making the Ulysses in 1/600 in the old Airfix magazine, when it went to the larger format with the red trim on top and bottom. I do know that they did do an article on doing the Dido. Also, anyone old enough or perhaps lucky enough to have read the hard cover edition might remember the plans of the HMS Ulysses behind to the cover. My Fontana paperback edition doesn't have it, but I do remember seeing it in other paperback books. Rereading the book, "She was only one of her kind, a 5,500 ton modification of the famous Dido type, a forerunner of the Black Prince class. Five hundred and ten feet long, narrow in her 50-foot beam with a raked stem, square cruiser stern and long fo'c'sle deck extended well abaft the bridge - a distance of over two hundred feet...: I remembered the straight funnels but never noticed the square cruiser stem until I reread it tonight.
My first view of a Dido was the HMNZS Royalist in the old third edition of The World's Warships, by Raymond Blackman. Lots of boyhood pleasure. Wore the covers right off. Was a bit disappointed, when I found an older edition of Janes at the library, to find out that the Dido with the extra turret also had raked funnels. Grown to love it now.
Best wishes,
Grant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:53 am 

The talk about USS Ulysses has got me thinking. Those of us old enough or lucky enough to have read the hard cover of the book might remember the set of plans on the inner side of the cover. My Fontana paperback edition doesn't, but other paperback editions from the states did. The old Airfix Magazine did a series on the Dido and I think there was a later article on how to do the HMS Ulysses. I remember that the Ulysses had straight funnels and was different in other ways from a normal Black Prince class. From the book, " She was the only one of her kind, a 5,500-ton modification of the famous Dido type, a forerunner of the Black Prince class. Five hundred and ten feet long, narrow in her fifty-foot beam with a raked stem, square cruiser stern and a long foc's'l deck extending well abaft the bridge -- a distance of over two hundred feet...." I hadn't realized that it had a square stern until rereading that passage tonight. HMS Ulysses is still, along with The Cruel Sea, my favorite naval book, or two.
My first glimpse of what a Dido looked like was the photo of the HMNZS Royalist in the old The World's Warships, by Raymond Blackman. Gave me lots of youthful pleasure. Wore the covers clean off. The Royalist was a beautiful ship. I also remember the twinge of disappointment when I finally had a chance to read an older edition of Jane's and saw that the Dido, with her neat extra turret, also had slanted funnels. I've since grown accustomed to the look now.
Best wishes,
Grant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:48 am 

The hunt is now on for good pictures of Euryalus, the deck one I have seen is below and I have sent a search to the I.W.M. photograph library. If any one has any or knows the location of any I would appreciate a point in the right direction. (I have not seen a Port view)

I think it looks like its only the main deck which is Camouflage!

I did have some advice along time ago from a model warship kit manufacturer that if no-one can tell you its right or wrong bo whatever colour you want! I perfer to get it right, so any help is very appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:16 am 
Dear Mr Crewe,
Your note, re Euryalus.
The best photos that I know of showing the Admiralty Disruptive Camouflage as applied upon completion is the portrait set taken on the 30th June 1941. The "OLD" Admiralty numbers are 28A, 28B and 28C. These are now held in the IWM.
I have large size (12" x 9") contemporary prints of this set, meaning that the prints were made just a day or so after the photos were taken. They are of high quality. Wether this means that prints made today would be of the same quality one cannot say.
Good luck, and keep looking for port side views.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:06 am 
A ps to my previous note.
The photos of the Euryalus that you put up, I am certain were taken at Scapa Flow in the month of August 41.
I have an on-board view taken a little later that shows that the deck camouflage had been painted out.
It appears that the disruptive camouflage was only worn for a very short period. By the time the ship reached the Med, or very shortly afterwards, she was in dark grey hull and light grey upperworks. It is possible that the upper and forecastle decks were still dark grey, including those arears in wood.
You state that the camouflage was applied to the main deck. This is incorrect, the main deck is the one below the upper deck, the latter being the lowest open deck. Camouflage was applied to the upper and forecastle decks.
Hope that this of some small help.

ar wrote:
Dear Mr Crewe,
Your note, re Euryalus.
The best photos that I know of showing the Admiralty Disruptive Camouflage as applied upon completion is the portrait set taken on the 30th June 1941. The "OLD" Admiralty numbers are 28A, 28B and 28C. These are now held in the IWM.
I have large size (12" x 9") contemporary prints of this set, meaning that the prints were made just a day or so after the photos were taken. They are of high quality. Wether this means that prints made today would be of the same quality one cannot say.
Good luck, and keep looking for port side views.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:43 am 
The model of the Cleopatra is finished,just thought you would like to see it.More pics will be on the gallery in future,Cheers Phil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:46 pm 

Thanks ar every little helps to the big picture.

The pictures I put up are dated 8th Aug 1941, I have a book by Gregory Haines & Cdr B.R. Coward RN, which has a few pictures of Euryalus, 4 in March 41 from the bridge looking at the colours of her raised guns I would say she was then in her two tone scheme and another picture in Aug 1943 she is 100% in the two tone Scheme.

Im still not 100% set on Euryalus for my next model but it will be a Dido class first group or second group, but must be a nice camouflage pattern.

ps I am not Mr Crewe, I'm from Crewe, in Uk

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:12 am 

PNS Babur ( ex HMS Diadem in Pakistan navy service ) source www.pakdef.info

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:55 pm 

Thanks ar for the IWM idea they do have 4 pictures of Euryalus the 3 I have seen and another. The looking down on the ship is better exposed and gives much more detail.

I have also found direct ref. to Euryalus and her painted decks in a C.A.F.O. 1983 from 1941 which indicates the side pattern is carried over the deck but in a slightly darker tone, as indicated by the chart horizontal to vertical tones from the CB3098 document.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:18 pm 

A couple of shot of Dido in the Glasgow Transport Museum. Hopefully, they will be of use to someone:

Attachments:
Dido 01 small.jpg
Dido 01 small.jpg [ 132.72 KiB | Viewed 4433 times ]
Dido 02 small.jpg
Dido 02 small.jpg [ 113.44 KiB | Viewed 4453 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:17 pm 
Hi Everyone:

I am a new signup to this forum so need some handholding. I was led to this forum in my search for building a Dido Class cruiser at 1/350 scale. My father was an officer on the Argonaught during WWII, is now 94, and hence my interest. He does by the way have lots of memorabilia on his war experiences - including a trip to Hiroshima not long after the bomb.

I see from the posts that there is a resin kit for HMS Scyllia from CommanderSeries.com and I assume this would be a close enough replica for the Argonaught. I would appreciate any feedback that can be offered on this kit as to its ease to build. I am a modestly experienced model railroad modeller but have never tackled ships or a resin kit before. It seems to me that is mostly about detailed painting and perhaps shaping of parts - is this so? What are the dimensions of the finished model and does it come with fine detail parts like brass fittings? Would I have to order detailed parts separately?

I was also looking for other approaches to modelling a 1/350 Dido cruiser such as modifying another kit of a similar look and structure. Are there any experiences with this approach?

I look forward to your comments. Many thanks.

Alan P [from Canada]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:24 pm 

HI Alan ,
Just to point out ,there is a Profile Morskie book on HMS Argonaut,using that ,in conjunction with the Commanders kit of HMS Sirius,which will include some Photo-etch,you could make a fair replica of your Dads ship.Please wish him well from me,we`ve a lot to thank his generation for.

Best Wishes Phil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:48 pm 

Hello Phil:

Many thanks for your kind thoughts for our family war hero - I will tell him when I see him next week. I am travelling to the UK [from Canada] to see him and my mother. They are getting frail now. Following your suggestions I have ordered the PDF images from Profile Morskie - have yet to receive them. Would I get much more from the book from these people? If the text is in Polish that would not be much use to me but would there be any more images aside from the PDFs.

Cheers,

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:24 pm 
I am having difficulty getting anything out of Profile Morskie. I have not received the PDFs that I ordered and I can't raise any response through email. Has anyone else had this experience? Are they still in business?

Alan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next