The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:05 pm 

I've been talking with David as well about those Canonicus plans. Now to exert some USS Lafayette pressure!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 pm 

How about an Eads Milwaukee class? I have been looking for a complete plan set & so far have only what is offered by Maryland Silver.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:29 pm 

Milwaukee is another on my "wanna do" list as well. I've corresponded with him about the Canonicus specifically and he said he'd started them and from what Matt says and an email I received from David earlier today he's moving that up in the to-do list. We've also discussed Lafayette, one that he says he'll do eventually. I'm really interested in her because pre-war she was a riverboat on which one Samuel Clemens served as pilot.

Last edited by Devin on Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:54 pm 

I can think of a few tinclads & gunboats but will not try to get too greedy with my wish list.

I picked up several books while in the States last week & made a resolution to restrain myself on new project ideas until after I clear a few things out of kit stash. :cool_2:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:19 am 

Have you seen his plans for the tinclad USS Undine? A typical stern wheel driven packet pre-war, she had her lower decks sheathed in sheet metal for protection. A very cool little ship, one that I'd considered as my first scratch build, but her hull has some odd undulations that I wasn't comfortable tackling on my first go.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:48 am 

Devin wrote:
Milwaukee is another on my "wanna do" list as well. I've corresponded with him about the Canonicus specifically and he said he'd started them and from what Matt says and an email I received from David earlier today he's moving that up in the to-do list. We've also discussed Lafayette, one that he says he'll do eventually and that I'm really interested in because pre-war she was a riverboat one which one Samuel Clemens served as pilot.

Aha, so you're the other person he was rreferrring to! He followed up with an e-mail and said he was going to start working on the monitors next week, so hopefully we'll see them soon. One thing I found interesting (actually, the whole conversation was interesting, he knows these things inside and out!) was that the monitors had asymmetrical hull plating on top, at least some of them. I had never noticed until I looked at some photos last night and darned if he isn't correct. I guess he's some preliminary work on the Mississipi and Nashville as well.

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:24 am 

Undine sounds intriguing as I've always been interested in doing a sternwheeler, but I didn't see that one on his plan list. Eastport, Tuscumbia or Chillicothe would also make for good subjects to model.

Regarding Nashville, are you referring to the cruiser or ironclad?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:15 am 

herrmill wrote:
Undine sounds intriguing as I've always been interested in doing a sternwheeler, but I didn't see that one on his plan list. Eastport, Tuscumbia or Chillicothe would also make for good subjects to model.

Regarding Nashville, are you referring to the cruiser or ironclad?

Ironclad, the sidewheel monster.

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:23 am 

Matt,

Yes, that's me. Spoke with David on the phone last night. You're right, he sure knows these ironclads inside and out. Literally.

Chuck, you're right, the Undine isn't on that list. I'll ask him about that. And while David and I were speaking last night, you'll be happy to know he brought up the Milwaukee class twin-turreted boats of his own accord. I think he'll have plans for them eventually.

-Devin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:11 pm 

Thanks for the info, guys! Looks like my 1/72 fleet will be growing over time with this bit of news. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:55 pm 

Devin wrote:
Matt,

Yes, that's me. Spoke with David on the phone last night. You're right, he sure knows these ironclads inside and out. Literally.

Chuck, you're right, the Undine isn't on that list. I'll ask him about that. And while David and I were speaking last night, you'll be happy to know he brought up the Milwaukee class twin-turreted boats of his own accord. I think he'll have plans for them eventually.

-Devin

The Milwaukee would be great, the double turret monitors are a favorite of mine. I wonder if he could leapfrog off the Virginia plans to do a Roanoake? I'll have to pester him.

Matt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:53 pm 

Yes, Milwaukee is needed so I can fulfill my plans for a re-enactment of Mobile Bay on Xihu. :big_grin:

If anyone is interested in modeling in 1/72, Steve Lund's vac plate skins offer two distinct patterns which will be great to differentiate both Eriksson & Eads turret designs.

Chuck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:34 pm 

BTW, an update sounds like the Passaic plans will be done quite soon. yeah!

Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:23 am 

Wish I had those Passaic plans when I was building my Weehawken!

My take on the asymmetrical deck plates on the Passaic class in photos: I’m 99.9% positive the Passaic class were BUILT with symetrical rectangular plates, I have a book with copies of the original Monitor's armor plating and it was all definitely all rolled and cut to the same size. I believe some of the asymmetry in photos was caused by replacing or patching over cracked plates, this was old brittle armor and under a direct hit would crack. There are several reports of this during the war. Another reason is that after the first experiences with plunging fire, areas that were vital, such as around the stacks (engine room area) and some of the magazines, a second layer of plating added on top of the deck to thicken the armor. There’s a shot of this on one of the Passaic class – can’t recall which – and the extra armor looks like it was tossed down like a deck of cards and left where it fell.

Again, just my theories.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:11 pm 

Devin wrote:
Wish I had those Passaic plans when I was building my Weehawken!

My take on the asymmetrical deck plates on the Passaic class in photos: I’m 99.9% positive the Passaic class were BUILT with symetrical rectangular plates, I have a book with copies of the original Monitor's armor plating and it was all definitely all rolled and cut to the same size. I believe some of the asymmetry in photos was caused by replacing or patching over cracked plates, this was old brittle armor and under a direct hit would crack. There are several reports of this during the war. Another reason is that after the first experiences with plunging fire, areas that were vital, such as around the stacks (engine room area) and some of the magazines, a second layer of plating added on top of the deck to thicken the armor. There’s a shot of this on one of the Passaic class – can’t recall which – and the extra armor looks like it was tossed down like a deck of cards and left where it fell.

Again, just my theories.

If it's the one that I'm thinking of, it's the 2 photos of the Lehigh when it had the wheeled cannon on deck. I've never been able to get a good enough quality version of those photos to determine if it was a second layer or not, it kind of looks to me like most of the plate has actually been stripped off and the wood exposed. I just can't make out enough detail.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:29 pm 

Yes, the photo below. They did put on the armor in two layers on the deck, so it indeed could be the top layer removed. That would mean, however, that they had removed and then replaced that bollard in the foreground; as it is it would be recessed in the deck with those "missing" plates butted up against it, and I don't recall seeing a photo of them ever like that elsewhere (not that that means anything).

To me the top layer of plates look a little haphazard to me, the cutout for the dead-light on the right looks more oval than round as if hastily cut to make room for the dead-light below, and the gap in the plates just right of the gun carriage wheel to allow for the dead-light also makes me think that those plates were added later. It also looks like the plates are possibly jagged at some corner near the glacias ring at the base of the turret, which was a mid-war addition as well.

That's one of the things I really love about Civil War boats, there's no end to the discussion and no one can really tell you you're wrong about details, within reason.

-Devin

Attachments:
h51303.jpg
h51303.jpg [ 102.34 KiB | Viewed 4488 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:55 am 

It it possible they are installing a second layer of deck armour plates? Note how no plates are missing from the wheeled cannon to the turret and beyond. It appears these plates are installed like deck tiles.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:47 am 

That's exactly what I think they are doing. There are written reports to this being fitted at Port Royal after the initial Charleston attack.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:30 am 

My seven plan sets arrived today and they are beautiful. I can't wait to get started on the Atlanta but I have to say that the airo plans are lovely enough I almost wat to jump forward omnto her.

$20 for these thing is a heck of a deal, especially since when I started buying them from the Maryland Silver company they were upcharged to ~$50.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:59 pm 

Mr Meagher said it would be Okay to post these, so here goes. He asked me to mention that his job requires a lot of travel, so check with him via e-mail before sending any payment so there wasn't a prolonged waiting period.

Reference: Plans list and prices
Feb 2009

(The form letter:)
Greetings:
1. Thank you for your recent inquiry concerning my plans.

2. My current plans with scales available and wholesale prices are:
CSS Albemarle 1/48 - $50*
CSS Albemarle 1/96 - $20
CSS Arkansas 1/96 - $20
CSS Atlanta 1/96 - $20
CSS Chicora 1/96 - $20
USS Chillecothe 1/96 - $35*
CSS David 1/48 - $10
CSS F. D. Lee's Torpedo Ram 1/96 - 12
CSS Fredericksburg - 1/96 - $20
CSS Hunley 1/24th - $20 Based on Michael Crisafulli's work and drawn
with his permission. The only internally accurate Hunley out there.
CSS Palmetto State - 1/96 - $20
CSS Richmond - 1/96 - $20
CSS Stonewall - 1/96 - $20
CSS Manassas and Enoch Train - 1/96 - $40*
CSS Tennessee - 1/48 - $60*
CSS Tennessee - 1/96 - $20
CSS Texas - 1/96 - $20
USS Tuscumbia - 1/96 - $35*
CSS Virginia - 1/96 - $50*
CSS Virginia II - 1/96 - $20
USS Cairo/City Class - 1/96 - $20
USS Choctaw - 1/96 - $20
USS Eastport - 1/96 - $20
USS Galena - 1/96 - $20
USS Keokuk - 1/48 - $50*
USS Keokuk - 1/96 - $20
USS Monitor - 1/48 - $50*
USS Monitor - 1/96 - $20
USS Mortar Boat - 1/48 - $10
USS Neosho/Osage - 1/48 - $50*
USS Neosho/Osage - 1/96 - $20
USS New Ironsides - 1/96 - $30*
USS Onandaga - 1/96 - $20
USS Queen of the West - 1/96 - $20
USS/CSS Indianola - 1/96 - $30*
USS Tuscumbia - 1/96 - 30*
USS Chillicothe - 1/96 - $30*

Sultana - steamboat - 1865 - 1/96 - $50*
Mary Rose - carrack - 1545 - 1/96 - $35*
Portuguese carrack - 1507 - 1/48 - $50*
* Indicates complexity - usually the entire interior of the vessel is
drawn.

3. I have had to raise my prices in the last couple of years. This is
due to the present non-availability of the old diazo process, wherein
one 2' x 3' sheet used to cost $1, it now costs me at least $2 - $4 to
produce as a bond copy is the only reproduction means I have in the only
print shop (literally) in town (Huntsville, Alabama) which will do large
sheets.

4. If you do order plans I also need $12 for a tube and postage to you
for up to four plans per tube. Or I can mail them folded in a flat
manila envelope for $5.

5. Thank you for your time and attention.

6. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Cheers
David J. Meagher

David J. Meagher
171 Whitfield Drive
Toney, Alabama 35773
dmeagher@camber.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next