The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:38 pm 

Now that the superb Admiralty resin kits of Courageous and Glorious are available, I'd like to start a dialog about the best way to build and detail these puppies.

Let me start by asking a simple question: the directions note that "on 'Tiddly ships' the practice of painting the metal areas around the anchor cables in Brunswick green was continued and most turret tops were in dark, flat, Brunswick Green on capital ships".

OK, so definitively SHOULD Courageous be painted thus? And what is a contemporary color match from the modern paint vendors for Brunswick Green?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:57 pm 
Hi Gerrard,
nearly all photos of pusser's war canoes in the 20's & 30's show 'tiddly' ships so if you are doing Couragous in her pre-flat top days, it is probably best to do her 'tiddly'. Airfix used to do a brunswick green years ago (out of production now) but John Snyder at WEM is very helpful when it comes to matching paint colours and there's bound to be something in the colourcoats range that matches.

regards

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:14 pm 

Good idea for a thread, Gerard. I expect to see lots of these built up in the near future. I edited the title to include the Furious, since she was supposed to be a 1/2 sister to the Courageous and Glorious. I have both the AMW Courageous and Loose Cannon Furious in the stash. I'm hoping someone does an "as launched" Furious, with the 18inch gun turret aft.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:27 pm 

At the risk of sounding incredibly stupid, I must ask...

Just what is a "Tiddly Ship"?

- Sean F.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:21 pm 
Hi Sean,
a 'tiddly' ship is slang for a very smart ship, gleaming white decks and paintwork, immaculately turned out matelots and taut awnings/halyards etc. DEFINATELY NO RUST!! (the buffer and jimmy would be mortified!)

regards

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:15 am 

Hello everyone!

Would Brunswick green be a kind of dark forest green? I'm not looking for the super accurate color but just a general guideline of what it might look like. I would definitely paint the model with the dark green but would not try it if a Brunswick green is actually an olive color :heh: Or worse yet a apple green!!! Yuk!!!! :big_grin:

And by the way I received the new Courageous model and words cannot describe the sharpness and details on this little gem. The triple 4" canons have drilled out bore for crying out loud!!! I have never seen that anywhere not even in brass and those are made from resin with an awesome breech mechanism. I spent the better part of 2 hours stupidly looking the model over for any new surprises and trust me there is always something new to see!!

I'll try to snag some pictures this weekend and will post them here. I just hope I can zoom enough in order to show all the details!!

Cheers, :wave_1:
Sylvain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:52 pm 

While trying my new camera I took those two pictures of the new HMS Courageous model. It's not much of a preview but it shows a lot of the details on the hull and funnel. I'll take some more pictures soon. Enjoy!
Attachment:
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG [ 349.04 KiB | Viewed 5125 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG [ 478.53 KiB | Viewed 5079 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:08 am 

Well, I have just started in on Courageous, and have two questions for fellow builders, or Pavel if he's listening:

A) PE part 27 is a hull paravane I believe, but this part has an attached ladder to it. Yet the drawings and plans show this same paravane without any such ladder extention. Which is correct?

B) The box top art and the elevations show a vertical strake on the hull port and starboard, lined up with the rear of the tower. This strake looks like it ends in a small deck box. Query: there is no part for this strake, and no mention of it in the plans themselves. So, what is it? Maybe I should just fabricate a pair our of sheet styrene?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:57 pm 

Hi chaps

I am just gathering info as I intend to build HMS Glorious as a BC using the excellent looking kit by Admiralty Modelworks

I have Courageous as well... ( modelbuying Avarice!)

Has ' Brunswick green been defined yet? equivalents in Humbrol or WEM Colourcoats et al?

Fortunately--to add interest and texture to the models.... the ships were not always ' tiddly' ...

see enc pics below

Cheers

JB
Attachment:
Courageuos_stern.jpg
Courageuos_stern.jpg [ 96.67 KiB | Viewed 5117 times ]
Attachment:
Image13.jpg
Image13.jpg [ 62.79 KiB | Viewed 5086 times ]
Attachment:
Image15.jpg
Image15.jpg [ 215.41 KiB | Viewed 5072 times ]

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:17 am 

I used Humbrol 86 for the green and scuffed it up a lot on my Courageous.

Cheers,

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 am 

JIM BAUMANN wrote:
Has ' Brunswick green been defined yet? equivalents in Humbrol or WEM Colourcoats et al?

When I hear Brunswick green I always think of a pool table manufacturer named New-Brunswick :big_grin: Somehow I think Brunswick green as the same green used on a pool table surface. Pretty sure it's not the right color though :heh:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:21 pm 

I used a dark forest green on mine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:05 am 

I knew I saw this post out here somewhere and just remembered where. To answer the "Brunswick Green" question, when starting my HMS Glorious, I posed the same question - what is "Brunswick Green" and where should it really be applied? Here are answers I received that appear to be relevant:

"Re: "Brunswick Green" - a Color Question Posted by stc on May 27, 2009, 22:22:24, in reply to ""Brunswick Green" - a Color Question"121.217.31.148 brunswick green is the term applied to the uniforms of the brunswick regiment of rifles ,an old british regiment.they are also known as the 'black brunswickers', as the shade is almost black.I don't know if there are different shades these days or not.I would assume if it says Brunswick green,the shade should be at LEAST as dark as pine needles... "

Pavel @ The Admiralty Wrote:

"Brunswik Green and Painting.......
Posted by Pavel on May 29, 2009, 10:20:08, in reply to "To WR - WWI not decks but forward of breakwater and turret tops"
O.K. here is what Mr. Raven shared with me. In WWI not much was written down as such, this type of record keeping came later. For our purposes, the deck was not painted in Brunswick Green, but the plate under the anchor chain, the “chaffing plate” was. This is a MAJOR difference, and please understand, I am only going by the information that was available to me. Turret tops were also painted this colour, but no actual evidence exists to correctly paint either the HMS Courageous or HMS Glorious. As to ships boats, this was very much up to the Captain and / or Admiral onboard pre war, but would be subject to Admiralty regulations during the war but Mr. Raven pointed out that if a camouflage scheme was carried, the boats would be painted to match. So, please read Mr. Ravens article, link below, and make your own judgments. http://www.shipcamouflage.com/developme ... uflage.htm Thank you, Pavel @ The Admiralty"

Alan Raven Wrote:

"Brunswick Green on Turret Roofs.
Posted by wr on May 29, 2009, 11:05:24, in reply to "ATTN: John Iverson/ Brunswich green."
From anecdotal evidence that I collected from 'old hands' in the fifties and sixties, it appears that turret roofs were SOMETIMES painted Brunswick Green, and SOMETIMES they were painted BLACK! This, in the World War One time frame. There was NEVER ANY mention of Brunswick Green being used on ANY part of the decks, however if someone could come up with a reference of some substance...."

All that being said; and after talking with Pavel and additional research, I decided to simply paint my entire deck Humbrol 112 and weathered it with some chalking and faint black and light rust wear to make it come to life - almost imperceptable. Oddly enough, I picked up some Floquil "Brunswick Green" (a very dark gray) and used it for my funnel top/grill and the searchlight color - I found it flowed beautifully when brushed!

Here are some pictures to reference - Perhaps they can help someone out there:

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93 ... 1251902932

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93 ... 1251903498

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93 ... 1251903640

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93 ... 1251903716

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn93 ... 1251903761

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:06 pm 

AHA!!

Hmnnnnn-- having just finished a project--coming soon at MW.com I have returned back to my Courageous....

Well-- all fine and well- soooo.... to Green-foredeck or not eh...!!

Excuse the rotten quality pics-- the weather is so awful here today that the flash came on!!

aside from the flash and odd tones-- here is where my Courageous is at present...

( but built using the Glorious kit)

ie-1918- post-removal of mine rails- but mine-rail mounting brackets are still in place....

In light of the above posting-I am now debating an overpaint...!! :Mad_5: :? :? :? :?

Your thoughts guys...?

I also have shown pics of the turrets and turret tops

One weathered and one immediately after decal application.

Note that the deflection scale markings are DIFFERENT between Courageous and Glorious!!

Beware!!-- there are also quite a few mis-captioned photos around --as I found to my chagrin!

JIM B
Attachment:
2009-08-30 005.jpg
2009-08-30 005.jpg [ 50.91 KiB | Viewed 5069 times ]
Attachment:
2009-08-30 006.jpg
2009-08-30 006.jpg [ 45.5 KiB | Viewed 5067 times ]
Attachment:
2009-08-30 007.jpg
2009-08-30 007.jpg [ 42.94 KiB | Viewed 5069 times ]
Attachment:
2009-08-30 012.jpg
2009-08-30 012.jpg [ 50.37 KiB | Viewed 5057 times ]
Attachment:
2009-08-30 014.jpg
2009-08-30 014.jpg [ 39.17 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:42 pm 

How the heck did you get those itty bitty numbers on those turrets - decals? Very sharp!!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:30 pm 

Hey Jim:

That build seems vaguely familiar! :big_grin:

I love the effect on your turrets. As to the Brunswick Green on the foredeck, I'd say leave it! Great affect!

Nice job on your Courageous. Can't wait to see it done up in the usual Jim Baumann fashion.

By the way, what colour is your base coat? It looks like Humbrol 147! I used that as my base coat for my HMS Glorious.

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:05 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
How the heck did you get those itty bitty numbers on those turrets - decals? Very sharp!

Yep-- home-made turret deflection scales--printed in black on white decal sheet.. :thumbs_up_1:

@ Jon-- I used Humbrol 28--

it allowed me to darken with washes, and also to draw on the plating runs using pencil tape, and the wash away the graphite to give a subtle and pretty convincing effect ( IMHO !)

Yep--progress is being made-- its the boats that are taking their merry old time!

JIM B
Attachment:
2009-27-04 001.jpg
2009-27-04 001.jpg [ 33.13 KiB | Viewed 5043 times ]
Attachment:
2009-27-04 005.jpg
2009-27-04 005.jpg [ 32.13 KiB | Viewed 5043 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:08 am 

I see! I had the same idea with Humbrol 147. I was able to darken it a bit with filters, washes, etc. and have it show a marked yet sublte weathering.

Your boats are coming along nicely. I see you cut oar placements in the 42' launch. Are you doing a dio with it in the water and sailors rowing?

Are you finding it to be a straightforward build so far (except for the extras you usually put in)?

Can't wait to see the finished product.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:43 pm 

Your Courageous looks real good Jim :thumbs_up_1: I also think you can keep the green paint on the deck. It looks good the way it is but, knowing you, I think we'll see a repainted deck the next time you show us your progress :heh: :cool_2:

Have started your QE yet or are you finishing Courageous first?

Sylvain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:37 pm 

Hi chaps

@ Jon

On the whole a pretty straightforward build--I will outline the bits I have altered in the build article here at MW.com when the model is finally completed.

That said-most of the stuff I have done is because I have decided to portray her late 1918-and there are a few differences -at that time there was an additional searchlight platform on the mainmast underneath the starfish, and the platforms on the aft tripod had a structure added- which I have added , the splintermatting and dodgers etc etc etc

- apropos starfish-- I made a new one...

I tried to hollow out the resin undersides to give an impression of the metal plates--and it looked ok--but then.... well

Paper and brass slivers just looked sharper!!

I have opened up the spotting top with metal frame windows, added bits here and added bits there, thinned stuff down and chopped other stuff away...

That said --it is overall and EXCELLENT starting point--- and is a credit to Pavel.

Nothing in life is perfect-nor is the kit....

-the kit does have a few flaws--but they are--in the big picture-- VERY minor!

@ sylvain..

Once Courageous is done--I shall catch my breath-- I want to build something short and sharp for Telford--only 2 months away...arghhh

QE will get my attention probably post Telford,

Doe anyone know what these are--or what hey do--or have better pics...?

see below

Attachment:
Image14.jpg
Image14.jpg [ 206.73 KiB | Viewed 5058 times ]