The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:58 pm 

Hello to everyone,

it was quite some time ago when I asked for helping photos and weblinks on the Round Table Class trawlers. So it's time to say thanks for the help I received and time to post some photos of the built so far. I'm building slowly so it will probably take some more moths until works on the boat will be finished. I don't want to lose many words on the kit as I'm not too happy with the quality of some of the parts.
The project is from a kit and not a scratchbuilding project so if it might be not welcome here, please (admin) feel free to move or remove it from here.

Kind regards
Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:11 am 

hi matt
it looks good so far and when your done and sailing it will look fantastic just be carefull they dont stop to well.
i guess your not happy with the white metal fittings that i think is the normal gripe
looking good mate
gary

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:54 am 
Hello Gary,

thank you very much. I hope to have the boat on the pond later this month and test the brakes :)
It's not even the metal parts - I bought the kit on a second hand fair in incomplete condition so the oxide layer came probably from (bad) storage and also the burr from casting didn't bother me. It's quite clear that white metal fittings need subsequent work so in general the quality is ok for the claims I had on the kit. But of course - I haven't assembled them all, there are a lot of parts left so far...

So thanks for your kind words, let's see how building goes on :)

Kind regards
Matt

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:11 am 

Hello Matt Nice job you're making there.
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:52 pm 
Thank you Dave :)

I've had some time for the boat the last three days - work can be short in automotive industry.
The boat now has a scratch built deck as there was no possibility to install the original deck decor. The planks are a little wider than those on the original part which was a compromise to keep efforts on an adequate level.
I also started with the acoustic hammer on the bow of the boat and there's a question on the A-frame. This A-frame must have been strongly bent, otherwise it would have touched the anchor during use. So does anyone have a a photo what this mine hunting unit looked like on the original boats? It would help me a lot.

Kind regards
Matt

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:04 pm 

Good work so far!!

Nice looking model-- will be watching!

JIM Baumann :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:27 pm 

Hello,

I had seen a few pictures of this kit build on the net, you have already have these but here are the links:
http://wmunderway.8m.com/gallery56/gallery56.htm(see bottom of page)

http://www.bismarck-class.dk/shipmodels/british_models/sirkaymachin.html

Hope this can help.

Dry docked:
1/72 HMCS Assiniboine DDE 234-1960
1/72 HMCS Ottawa DDE 229-1960
1/72 HMCS St. Catharines-River Class Frigate-1944
On the slipway:
1/72 HMCS Camrose-Flower Class Corvette-1943
1/72 HMCS Trillium-Flower Class Corvette-1942

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:27 pm 
Thank you Jim and James,

I knew the photos by Julian Machin but the photos of Ronny Peter's boat were new to me and there's a good bow shot online. So this one helps me to see that that the A-frame is much more straight than mine is. It looks better and does also make more sense :)

Thank you and kind regards
Matt

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:57 pm 

After coloring the hull and the deck house yesterday, the first test in the water took place on the fun run of our local boat club this morning. I was positively surprised and very happy with the boat's behaviour on the water. The engine could have had a little more power but the brakes were better than I expected. I consider the braking distance two about 2 meters which is ok in my eyes.
So this was definitely much fun on a happy day for boat and builder :)

Kind regards
Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:04 pm 

WOW!!!! :lol_3: :lol_3: :lol_3:
SHE LOOKS GREAT ON THE WATER!!!

how does she handle?

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:21 pm 

Hello Reid,

thank you. All in all the boat handles nice. Running forward, reaction on the rudder is very good, moving backwards there's no reaction on the rudder. But the ship lies very stable, I needed to add about 1,5 kg of batteries and 700 g of ballast to get the boat on the waterline. I didn't weigh the missing parts, but they shouldn't be more than 500 g so I expect the boat to be stable in the end, too. And as mentioned, the boat needs some way to stop but that is possible to handle. The prop is a Raboesh 3-blade type D with 45mm diameter which seems to have good effect backwards and the engine makes about 3000 rpm.

Kind regards
Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:08 pm 

Do not forget to put the hammer on the correct way up. ARH

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:44 am 

Hi Matt Superb on the water shot s. Question What electic motor are you using?
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:25 am 

Hello Dave,

the motor is an old GEFEG VDO M4220. Since the company was sold, the motors have the name KAG.
The data of the GEFEG is almost the same as the Data sheet says for the M42x20/l (12 V).

http://www.kag-hannover.de/en/products/ ... 2x10.shtml

Kind regards
Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:08 pm 

I'll definitely be watching this thread with interest! I've also bought this kit recently (second-hand); it'll be my first attempt at building a "proper" R/C (as opposed to a kitbashed ready-to-run model, like my current USCG Island-class cutter build) warship. I plan to start it fairly soon, once the aforementioned USCG cutter is finished.

Your model certainly looks great on the water, it has a very realistic-looking wake and bow wave!

If you haven't already found it, you might be interested to check out the Aberdeen Ships website which has the original plans of several of the Round Table-class ships, including Sir Kay, free to download.

You could also try looking at photos of Mountfleet Models' larger (1/32) kit of HMS Sir Lancelot, though this ship has numerous differences to Sir Kay, it's equipped as a conventional minesweeper with paravanes, rather than an acoustic and influence sweeper.

I have a question of my own: Anyone know if there are any archive photos in existence showing these ships painted in "Western Approaches" camouflage? I've seen several models painted this way, and would like to do the same with my build, but can't find any photos of the real thing for reference (plenty of photos of other armed trawler classes in camo, but not Round Table ones!)

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:58 pm 

Hello Edward,

thank you very much. The plans by Aberdeen Ships are the ones I use, togehter with a few photos of some models. I didn't know the website of Mountfleet's beautiful model.

I'm sorry that I can't tell you anything about the camouflage. I don't have a single photo of the original boats or anything else in books,... That's also why my model will only include what's in the kit.

Kind regards
Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:06 am 

Hello everyone,

After another few hours on the boat and good weather outside, the structure of the bridge is finished and painted now. Further progress are the platforms for the yawl and the spot so detail works will follow next.
Enjoy the pics.

Kind regards
Matt

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:05 pm 

Hi Matt Your Sir Kay is turning into one fine model , crisp in detail in every department. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:40 pm 

Thank you Dave, I do my best :)

I have to admit, the further the build gets and the more it goes into detail, the more I like the kit. I never thought, I'd say that some day...

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:05 am 

Hi everyone,

it have been a few more hours Sir Kay so it's time for a small update. Progress goes slower when it's comes to detail works, especially when there's some color to dry in a cool basement...
So there's progress on the aft gun and aft gun nest, yawl, yawl platform and raft mount.

Kind regards
Matt

Report this post