The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:08 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Those guys at the museum are going to be real happy Bill, i got a vacation week coming and is very probable if all goes as i planned i might pay a little visit to the Nauticus museum and i'll make sure of checking your masterpiece from top to bottom :big_grin:

Jose

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:22 pm 

Hi Bill Good luck with the delivery and I can only reitereate as to what has been said, the MM is getting one gem of a model. Say hello to Bill Clarke he will be looking out for you and the Santee.
Dave Wooley :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:53 pm 

Outstanding job, Bill. Thank you very much for keeping us in the loop when you were building her.
Mark

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:55 pm 

I really like the take-off - the plane looks like it's barely touching the deck!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:20 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Hello again all! :wave_1: Well, I made it to Norfolk, Va. in one piece and so did the Santee. Thru 12 hours of highway and some pretty rough roads, the Santee arrived unscathed! :lol_spit_1: Here are some photos that I thought you may enjoy. This will be the last post on the Santee build. Thanks for all the posts and your interest. Back to the Indiana build. Stay tuned! More to come :thumbs_up_1:
Attachment:
File comment: Here we are at the Museum. It is on the second floor. The building has three floors.
DSC03024.JPG
DSC03024.JPG [ 136.03 KiB | Viewed 4485 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: This is looking to the left of the building. Nauticus is the first floor which is a gift shop, restaurant, and some marine life exhibits. The third floor is also Nauticus and has other exhibits such as a deep sea sub, and a virtual Aegis Gunnery practice, among other items of interest. Something for everyone, if you will.
DSC03025.JPG
DSC03025.JPG [ 108.66 KiB | Viewed 4484 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The USS Wisconson. Take a look at that bow. You have no idea how big this is till you stand next to it. Totally awesome! I talked to some former crew members while I was here and they said normal full speed was about 33 knots. Rumor has it that it would do 40 plus, but vibrated pretty bad..........Wow!
DSC03021.JPG
DSC03021.JPG [ 113.59 KiB | Viewed 4491 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here's another bow shot. Each anchor weighs 15,000 lbs. Each link in the anchor chains weighs 120lbs. There's alot of links!
DSC03022.JPG
DSC03022.JPG [ 134.34 KiB | Viewed 4494 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Look at the people on deck. This gives you some idea of the size of this ship. She rides pretty high in the water as she is empty as far as fuel ,ammo, crew, etc.
DSC03044.JPG
DSC03044.JPG [ 163.68 KiB | Viewed 4496 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The #2 16" gun turrent. Those blast bags are really heavy rubber. I pushed on one and could'nt get it to budge. When these guns went off, the quietest place was inside the turrent, believe it or not. Would'nt want to be standing next to one, it would blow out your eardrums.
DSC03043.JPG
DSC03043.JPG [ 95.78 KiB | Viewed 4496 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Note the gangway. This leads to the second floor of the building which is the actual ship museum. Addmission here is free. The rest of the building, 1st and 3rd floors are about $11.00.
DSC03023.JPG
DSC03023.JPG [ 122.88 KiB | Viewed 4491 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Starboard side view of the fwd. superstructure. You can walk some of the decks on the Wisconson, but you cannot go inside. It is classified as "Inactive Reserve", so it is still a commisioned Navy Ship. Rumor has it that the Navy will give the ship to the city of Norfolk, and eventually they will open it up, at a cost of several million dollars.
DSC03042.JPG
DSC03042.JPG [ 142.22 KiB | Viewed 4502 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here we are on the second floor at the entrance to the Museum.
DSC03026.JPG
DSC03026.JPG [ 163.04 KiB | Viewed 4483 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: There are quite a few models here, mostly Civil War and WW1 ships. I did'nt have time to take photos of all of them but this one was most impressive. The USS Maine in 1/48th scale. It is a Builders Model, built by Newport News shipyard. It is to the tee and exact in every detail, truly impressive.....
DSC03037.JPG
DSC03037.JPG [ 147.33 KiB | Viewed 4501 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: A close up. Check out the detail!
DSC03038.JPG
DSC03038.JPG [ 167.08 KiB | Viewed 4500 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Mr. Charles Howse. He was a gunner in a TBF Avenger, shown here giving a short speech at the dedication ceremonies.
DSC03027.JPG
DSC03027.JPG [ 137.38 KiB | Viewed 4486 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: And here she is, USS Santee. She is on display just as you enter the Museum. This is temporary as the model will be moved to the "Battle of the Atlantic" exhibit when the area is ready. Note the red button. This is a momentary push-on switch that activates the hanger deck lights. There is one on the other side of the base as well.
DSC03028.JPG
DSC03028.JPG [ 182.21 KiB | Viewed 4524 times ]
Attachment:
DSC03032.JPG
DSC03032.JPG [ 223.05 KiB | Viewed 4521 times ]
Attachment:
DSC03030.JPG
DSC03030.JPG [ 201.64 KiB | Viewed 4506 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here's where the Santee will go when this area is renovated. She will go in the center of this room so visitors can walk all the way around it.
DSC03033.JPG
DSC03033.JPG [ 147.93 KiB | Viewed 4492 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Your's truly with the santee......
DSC03040.JPG
DSC03040.JPG [ 182.41 KiB | Viewed 4544 times ]

This concludes another build here at Modelwarships.com. Hope you all found it interesting. I had a good time! Thanks to Cadman for everything, and Stay Tuned!! More to come.................... :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:34 pm 

Great stuff Bill, you've done the museum and the vets who served aboard her proud :thumbs_up_1:

Here's looking forward to the rest of the Indiana build.

John

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:15 pm 

Location: About 50 miles away from the Gulf of Mexico ( traveling W is you do so :)
Thanks for the shots Bill :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: that is indeed one beautiful bow, my vac is coming in 2 weeks and i'll be heading with my father and brother over there to check out the museum, your model, the Wisconsin.. shame they don't let people inside the ship though, i'm a bit disappointed on this however on our way back we intend to drop by the USS North Carolina and from pics and videos i've seen this one is completely open to the public just like the Alabama, never got to the engine room of the Alabama though they don't let you go down there for some reason..

Jose

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:23 am 

Hi Bill I'm Please you and your model arrived safely . From the photos posted your USS Santee makes an attractive exhibit indeed and one that will no doubt be seen by many. I hope to see the model for myself next year. Thank you for showing your build over the past months , I have enjoyed every frame and as others have mentioned I to will be looking forward to your Indiana build .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:10 am 

Bill,
Congrats getting the Santee to the musuem safely. Like the others have said. I also look forward to see your other ships you build.
Mark :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the photos. Quite and honor to have your ship displayed there. They are lucky to have it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:43 pm 

Hey Bill,

Its been a long time since I have visited the forum and I can't believe you got this done! I have to say that is the BEST bow wake I have ever seen. :thumbs_up_1:

TommyL.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:47 am 

Glad to hear your fine model made it safely to her her final display space.

Looks like an impressive museum--It would have to be with that mighty Battleship adjacent!!!

The model does you proud--the end effect of the water really IS very good!!

--I hope it inspires you for future waterline models...( saves all that pesky underwater detailing...!!!) hehehhehe!!

Best Wishes

JIM B :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:13 pm 

Bill!!! A true masterpiece, my friend!!! A true masterpiece. :thumbs_up_1: I hope to see it in person soon! Glad you're back in the groove! BRAVO ZULU!!!

Turn the minutes to hours?

-G. Lightfoot

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:34 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Thanks for all the posts! :wave_1: Guess you guys liked what you saw. I was happy with it although I wish I had more time on it. I am still coming down from the Norfolk trip. Gotta get the shop cleaned up........it's trashed, then regroup for the continuing USS Indiana Project. I"m rather lost on that at the moment. I really hate to put projects aside to start another. The Santee was important for the Vets. It was for them. Indiana is for the Museum. Not that it did not have men, too. I'm not sure if Indiana has a survivor group. I'll have to look into it. In any event, I have lost steam on the Indiana build but that is only temporary. I'll pick up where I left off......if I can remember where that was!! :big_grin: Stay tuned, more to come and Thanks to all, again.................Bill W. :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:48 am 

Hi Bill I know how you feel . Moving straight onto another "fresh" project is difficult but one that is already on the stocks presents additional problems motivation being one . I have this with Rurik , a really good project to work on but I just find it hard to think of generating enough effort to re-start the build once Kiev is completed. I suppose if it where destined for display then that would be motivation enough as it would be a "job pending" and a customer waiting. Non the less I'm keen to see you continue your Indiana build as it is such a good subject. More power to your elbow . :nod_2: :nod_2: :nod_2:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 am 

hI Bill. really your model looks wonderfull in the museum stand. you are a great ship modeller
Best Regards from Brasil :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:27 pm 

Man,I wish I could build like you. But in Supercarrier. You are a Bless Man. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:06 pm 

bill all your builds are fantastic and to carry on building after your wifes passing is a greater achievement in its self

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:23 am 
http://ussindianabb58.com/reunionassoc.html

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:58 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

A lot of folks have asked me, "How can you put that much work into something and just give it away?" Well, check out this photo. This is Mr. Charles Howse, 67 years ago....... This one photo made the entire build worthwhile. Need I say anymore....................
Attachment:
howse.jpg
howse.jpg [ 190.3 KiB | Viewed 4510 times ]

This is the same man in the previous photo, giving a short speech at the Museum at the dedication ceremonies.( Page 11 of this thread) Not many left of the Greatest generation. God's speed to all of them.........................

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next