The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:32 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

Tony Bunch wrote:
Carl,
Joe says Hi!
Tony

Thanks, Tony!

I look forward to more photos of the day's events.

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:43 pm 

Very nice Tony.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:18 pm 

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the input(s).
Carl,
Joe was thinking of just sending a hull to you. My advice to you; let him! That is a nice but not too big hull.
Friday night at Dave's, I spent some time working on the Mk68 director to put atop the freshly built deckhouse for it. Bad News! Dave's workshop's carpet monster had its' way. Darren, Dave, Kurt, Steve V. and I all looked for these tiny 1/96 scale resin bits; all to no avail. It was great to see Darren from Canada. Kurt from warshipmodelsunderway.com, and some of my local boys too! I lost a key component to attach the radar dish atop the Mk68 director's top; hence the missing radar in the pics.....and the telescopic range finding, "ears", too.
When Lee and I had an all out race for top speed, I got by his New Jersey! Both models were moving along waaaaaaay too fast for the scale. These two unfinhsied models looked pretty darn good in a long straight run.
We call it, "ludicrous speed".
I have to get back to a 1/700 CVS-14 project now, so there may only be sporadic posts here.
It was waaaaaay fun, and I'll post any worthy pics sa soon as able.
Thanks, Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:23 pm 

Hi L'Arsenal,

Am new to the board, only post no 2. I am about to start a a 1/96 scale Toconderoga build (CG), not scratch, but a good way to warm up at this level.

I served in HMAS Brisbane (DDG 41) and whern I have finished Tico, I want to start Brisbane, but from scratch. I see you have some drawings. Can you let me know where you got them from please? I also need to source some drawings of an Ikara missile launcher. Our DDG's did not carry the ASROC system.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:13 am 

Hi Guys,
Ticonderoga,
The BuShips 1/96 plans came with the 1/96 scale DDG hull from ScaleShipYard. The Ikara launcher I don't know much about. I'd try ScaleShipYard, John R.Haynes, Floating Drydock, Sirmar or one of the lagre scale model companies.
I can't imagine you'll have too much trouble finding this information.
Good luck, and Happy Hunting!
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 am 
Scale Shipyard
Scale Shipyard

In my collection I have the plans that were done by Webb Warship Models Ltd that show the ship with the Ikara Launcher, but i have to find them

World's Largest Supplier of Large Scale Warship Hulls and Fittings
http://www.scaleshipyard.com

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:06 am 

Scale Shipyard / W.L.U. wrote:
In my collection I have the plans that were done by Webb Warship Models Ltd that show the ship with the Ikara Launcher, but i have to find them

Thanks Mr Upshaw, I would appreciate it if you can dig the plans out and let me know. BTW, looking forward to receiving the Tico hull......

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:11 am 

Hey there Tony!

I'm back from the dead and I have to say, I'm impressed with your progress. :thumbs_up_1:

I haven't looked at this thread in over a year.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:22 am 

Hi Guys,
It's been a while since I've posted on this particular thread, but I have been at this project at earnest for the last 3 weeks.
I have been invited to attend the USS Benjamin Stoddert's annual reunion as a guest of SailorBill and another former crewmember whom found me on facebook. It seems that I have earned my stripes as a modeler, and not a former crewmember. A few months ago, by SailorBill's recommendation, someone from the DDG-22 reunion ass'n contacted me as a possible candidate to construct a DDG-22 replica for the reunion ass'n to display at each annual members' gathering. The fellow whom contacted me said if I was interested, to please contact the members association president, Mr. Ron Z. Here's something totally serendipitous; Ron Z lives less than two miles from me. Who knew? Ron called me and we met at my auto service shop to discuss the possibility of my building a model for them. I brought in my 1/350 WEM DDG-22 project to share with Ron. I showed him all of the finished sub-assemblies and noted the numerous changes required to accurize the WEM kit. Anyway, he thought I knew what I was doing and asked, "how much $$"?
I told him I was not entirely certain about that, and I told him of the other projects I need to finish first. We'll see about that later.
I was encouraged by Ron to bring all of my models of the DDG-22; finished or not. He said these will be great conversation starters. This years DDG-22 reunion is in San Diego, so I'll be going. SailorBill will be flying in from Minnesota, and wants to hang out some with me. I'll finally get to meet SailorBill ! It's been nearly 6 years since he first sent the 72 WestPac pics to me to help wih my 1/700 DDG-22 build. Our first contact was when Bill made a topic reply to the then 1/700 DDG-22 project, "Gun run, Tonkin Gulf". Who knew then where this would all end up? Not me!
Cut to this project. The 1/96 model will get the most attention at this event, so I figured I'd better get something sunstancial done on it before the ships' reunion in mid-October. So, I still have another 4 weeks to get something done.
So far, I have built the Mk13 mod4 Tartar launcher. I have also built the Mk68 gun director. My last attempt at the bridge windows was aborted and other stuff was done instead. This time, I decided to do the bridge windows as I had done on the 1/350 DDG-22 project.
I really want to get all of the weapons in place, and a complete paint job; complete with hull numbers and the ships name decals in place. Also, I really want to get the mast assembly done.
I don't have a camera today, but when I get one, I'll post the latest progress pics here. I hope I'll get some pics done tomorrow.
I hope someone out there appreciates this long message. if so, then I did not waste my time.
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:37 am 

Good to hear from you Tony... :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Get busy on this one, because Lee informed me that he may be shipping my DDG 16 soon.. :big_grin: :big_grin:

So start working... :bash_2:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:34 am 

Hi Guys,
I have become a believer in using the visuals to tell a story. Writing a description of things done is good, but sometimes challenging.
Here are some pics of the 03 fwd deckhouse after adding the bridge windows and the raised bulwarks just above. Before doing this, I removed all of the automotive primer and filled all of the construction seams. Some builders will apply a .010" skin atop the superstructure itself, but I've chosen not to. I hope I don't regret this decision. Studying pictures of the real ships and using the scale plan drawings combined can give very good results. One without the other would surely make things more difficult.
The entire bridge deckhouse is .0625" polycarbonate, and has to be bonded differently. Yes, there were seams.
I don't like using polycarbnate or plexi-glass for model construction.
"..It's a different type of flying............altogether.."
The bridge roof forward facing bulwarks are .5625" tall and .040" thick. The window vertical frames are .030" square stock that were sanded to a taper down to .010" thickness at the bottom. The entire facia below the bottom of the windows is .010" sheet styrene. When bonding very thin sheet plastic, I had to exercize care not to use too much liquid cement, a sthe possibility of, "sinks", is infinitely greater. So far, so good.

Here is a shot of the nearly finished Mk68 director. Yes, I did say it was finished before; not quite. I still need to add the ladders, the small window piece to the up-sloped face and the roof mounted observer's dome, (which was sanded away earlier).
Here are a couple of shots of the Mk13 Tartar launcher. I made it so the missile rail/arm can elevate in the base. The base rotates atop the cylindrical Tartar missile magazine.
Thanks for your interest guys, Tony

Last edited by Tony Bunch on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:15 am 

She is looking really good Tony. Fabulous attention to detail.

Modelers as good as you make it hard to keep up :good_job:

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:51 am 

nice work Tony! like to have one of those in 1/350.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:23 pm 

Finally, some progress!!!! Looking good!! :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:05 pm 

Hi Guys,
I got a new camera, and I am still getting used to it. It seems the flash is not strong enough, but I'll just bet there is a setting for that! I have actually done quite a bt of work since my last post. Most of the work was done in praparation for the USS Benjamin Stoddert ships reunion here in San Diego.
Here is the model as it looks today. I have just begun work on a most prominent feature; the tripod mast assembly. Plus, I just got my SPS-10 Surface search radar. Thanks to Richard Hardin of Tom's Modelworks for offering this part. I did not want to scratch build a radar; given the choice.

Here is the bridge after replacing the 03 deck, adding bulward detail to the bridge roof, and adding the bridge wing bulwarks.

Here is the bridge face looking aft showing the bridge windows and bridgewing bulwark. All of this was done with .030" sheet styrene cut and shaped to match The 96 scale BuShips drawings.

Here is the aft superstructure showing both sides and the work done to the funnel caps. Flashback to the 1/350 WEM funnel caps work done! All too familiar! The Ray Bean picture CD was invaluable in getting the funnel cap details right. This funnel cap detail is one area where all ships were the same.

I hope to get the mast close to finished by December 4th. That's the day of the annual, "Pearl Harbor Remembrance Run", here at Santee Lakes. This is the biggest RC gathering in San Diego of the year.
Very cool!
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:27 pm 
Back-Aft Models
Back-Aft Models

I love it!!

But, it feels like something's missing.......................Oh, Yea! Where's the black and white poke-a-dot table top? :big_grin: :wave_1:

Photobucket
https://app.photobucket.com/u/carlomaha

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4XXgrwKkhbIHgFtIYhAg

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:22 pm 

wonderful. taking notes from this. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:31 pm 

Nice progress Tony.. :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :thumbs_up_1:

Been away for a while...

But Santa has been good to me... And Lee also... :big_grin: :big_grin: :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:39 pm 

Hi Guys,
I've done way more work on this project than I have shared, so I'll refer to this as a, "catch-up", post.
First of all, I attended some of the USS Benjamin Stoddert's annual reunion last October. It was a 3 day event that included visiting local attractions and then there were evening gatherings. I attended two of the evening gatherings and was made welcome as one of their own; a nice touch. Thanks to the former crew members of, "The Bennie Sweat"!
On the first night of the reunion, Bill H, (aka SailorBill), met me beforehand and helped me to get my models set up in an adjacent room to the dining room. I brought all that I had to share; the 1/700 dio, the yet-finished 1/350 build and the yet finished 1/96 build. Unfortunately, only the 1/700 DDG-22 dio was finished, but it seemed that the in-progress builds drew some atention too; particularly the 1/96 model.

Last edited by Tony Bunch on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:44 pm 

Glad to hear that the CFA progresses well :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Looking forwards to somelovely pics soon :big_grin:

Andrew
:wave_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next