The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:09 pm 

Gernot wrote:
@KevinD: I would certainly buy the Friedman book at once, not only for the Exeter views, but for the other new or revised material expected to be found. I do not reproach AR for his pricing or conditions, that is his right, and if I can get a less extensive and less pricey option in the book, good for all parties concerned.

Gernot, just to clarify, as it seems you may have misinterpreted my answer. You asked a question and I simply supplied an answer, which was not intended to ‘reproach’ AR for whatever he may choose to do with or charge for his plans. That is of course his prerogative which I would have thought was a given. Just as it was my prerogative not to buy them @ $500. And yes I too will buy the cruiser book when released.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 am 

KevinD wrote:
Gernot, just to clarify, as it seems you may have misinterpreted my answer.

No worries, my statement was independent of your or anyone else's posts, and was not in response to anything you wrote. I'm happy for all parties to act in their best interests, respectively subjectively viewed :wave_1:
And I am *so* looking forward to that Friedman book, if it is really true..... <faint mewing sounds>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:39 pm 
The cruiser book will definately include the Norfolk (late 1943) and almost certainly the Sheffield.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 pm 

ar wrote:
The cruiser book will definately include the Norfolk (late 1943) and almost certainly the Sheffield.

Alan, will it also include Exeter too?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm 
KevinD wrote:
ar wrote:

Alan, will it also include Exeter too?

That will be up to the author.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:39 am 

I'm so excited about this but Google searches for upcoming books by Normal Friedman swamped my meagre capabilities in results of existing books. Since I received a good reply from an author here about his upcoming books (Mr. Bonnelli) I hope it will not be too forward to ask where I might find information about this upcoming book. I take it there has been some announcement made somewhere? Perhaps a website link? At the least it would help me budget for it: would the estimated date be 2010, or several years in advance, for example?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 am 
Gernot wrote:
I'm so excited about this but Google searches for upcoming books by Normal Friedman swamped my meagre capabilities in results of existing books. Since I received a good reply from an author here about his upcoming books (Mr. Bonnelli) I hope it will not be too forward to ask where I might find information about this upcoming book. I take it there has been some announcement made somewhere? Perhaps a website link? At the least it would help me budget for it: would the estimated date be 2010, or several years in advance, for example?

Dear Mr Gernot,
Please do not get too excited, it is only a book, albeit a two volume one.
I spent part of yesterday with the author discussing the book in question.
Material is still being collected by the author.
A goodly number of drawings have been drawn (most by D Baker). Some are still to be done. I have a list of the drawings and many depict ships as they appeared in wartime.
I would guess that the first volume will appear in about two years from now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:52 pm 

Dear Mr. Raven,
That is a most reasonable answer and I am most grateful. This (set of) books has been added to my budget list.
Best regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug

Edit: Excruciating brain fart there, sorry, I should definitely have written Mr. Alan Raven, not Mr. Roberts :oops: Corrected!

Last edited by Gernot on Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:20 am 

Gernot wrote:
Dear Mr. Roberts,

Errrrr, tell no one but you should have said Mr. Raven instead!!!!! :heh:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:40 am 

20mm on Exeter?

I have been sent some images by Kevin Denlay which suggest that HMS Exeter may after all have had at least one 20mm Oerlikon fitted when sunk. They are stills from a video taken in 2008.In Kevin’s words:

“I believe that is the remains of the weapon that has fallen out of (or appears to have fallen out of) the tub on the top of B turret, and it certainly looks like the remains of a 20mm mount to me; even what appears part of the shield is visible....

....It lays on the seabed right beneath B Turret. In image 1 the arrow points to the port barrel of B turret.....

....The object is directly beneath the tub on top of B turret, as if it just 'fell out'.”

I asked him how sure he is:

“Not 100%, but...........................it certainly looks like (the remains) of other 20mm I have seen on other wrecks.”

He also confirmed that what looks like the shield is poking out of the seabed and that no measurements were taken.

Given the many clear photos of Exeter that exist of her emerging from her Devonport rebuild in 1941, and later on well into 1941, showing no 20mm in the tub on top of B turret, if this is a 20mm it must have been fitted very shortly before she was sunk.

My thanks to Kevin for digging these images out.

Attachments:
DenlayExeter01.jpg
DenlayExeter01.jpg [ 122.09 KiB | Viewed 4826 times ]
DenlayExeter02.jpg
DenlayExeter02.jpg [ 63.18 KiB | Viewed 4824 times ]
DenlayExeter03.jpg
DenlayExeter03.jpg [ 63.56 KiB | Viewed 4824 times ]
DenlayExeter04.jpg
DenlayExeter04.jpg [ 66.63 KiB | Viewed 4826 times ]
DenlayExeter05.jpg
DenlayExeter05.jpg [ 66.12 KiB | Viewed 4826 times ]
 Post subject: Re: A+A plans
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:04 pm 

[quote="Laurence Batchelor"]What ever happened to the large collection of A & A Plans around commercially in the 70s? :scratch:

I've heard conflicting information[/quote]

These A+A plans held by Dave Sambrook were ,thru me , sold to Loyalhanna Dockyard a couple of years ago. He offered them to me but I do not have a local printer who could reproduce. Incidentley I am currently looking for Exeter plans. Any help put there ?? www.johnrhaynes.com

Post subject: HMS Exeter
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:04 pm 
What was the color of the Exeter at the time of engagement with the Graf Spee?

At the time of its sinking in 1942?

Post subject: Re: HMS Exeter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:47 am 

At time with Graf Spee 507C

At sinking 507B..

Bob Pink. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:15 am 
New member.

Is Exeter the least photographed cruiser of WW2?

I had started a 192nd scale w/l model and had hoped to show her alongside undergoing refit after the River Plate. However there appears to be a dearth of photos
of this period. Even background info would be welcome: which side alongside, berth info. etc.
I'm working from Metcalf's plan and have the Profile together with "British Cruisers of WW2".
In desperation I bought ISW's 350th. Exeter for extra information. Is this held to be a good kit?
Slow and tentative progress.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 pm 
Miketoo:

Hold off a bit; there is a good chance that Norman Friedman's new book on Royan Navy cruisers during WWII coming out later this year or next year will have an accurate line drawing of Exeter as she appeared at the time of her loss.

Mike E.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:42 am 

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the shipbuilding scene, but had been building scale r/c aircraft for years. Both my step son and my daughter are members of a Navy League/Cadet corp here in Ajax(Exeter/Ajax corps), Ontario, and I would like to build scale representations of both Exeter and Ajax to present to both Corps for static display. Would you be willing to forward the plans for Exeter to me?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:41 pm 

miketoo wrote:
New member.
I'm working from Metcalf's plan and have the Profile together with "British Cruisers of WW2"..

Hi Mike,

Just noticed your post from some time ago.

Re Metcalf plans. I assume you know there are some inaccuracies in same?

For instance, the aftermost 4" are wrongly placed (in relation to one another) and he does not show the quad 0.5 machinme guns just fwd of either fwd 4" (on 'lower' bridge 'wings', which are also not shown). It is also my understanding there were no 20mm atop the aft deckhouse as it were. These are a few points that come to mind.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:26 am 
The least photographed RN *Cruisers as they appeared during the war, were Calypso and Curlew.
Others may know more, but I only know of ONE view of the Curlew and NONE of the Calypso.
There were NO photos taken of Exeter undergoing her repair post River Plate battle. It was rare to have photos taken during refit/repair. One instance where this happened was when several photos were taken of the cruiser Berwick at Roysth in drydock in 1943. Of the four or five photos taken along the length of the ship, only ONE has survived.

*I assume that you meant RN ships.

miketoo wrote:
New member.

Is Exeter the least photographed cruiser of WW2?

I had started a 192nd scale w/l model and had hoped to show her alongside undergoing refit after the River Plate. However there appears to be a dearth of photos
of this period. Even background info would be welcome: which side alongside, berth info. etc.
I'm working from Metcalf's plan and have the Profile together with "British Cruisers of WW2".
In desperation I bought ISW's 350th. Exeter for extra information. Is this held to be a good kit?
Slow and tentative progress.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:37 am 
From Miketoo

KevinD and Michael E

Sorry, have not been near a computer for some time.
Thanks for that info ref Metcalfe's plan. I'm slowly becoming aware that there is too much 'iffy' info about to buld anything more than a representation of the ship.
Took a leap of faith and ordered Freidman's cruiser book but have just examined a copy of his British Destroyers and am not too impressed with that. Hopefully the cruiser books will be better.

All work on 'Exeter' is on hold for the time being untill the information crystalises. Am now seriously considering a Monmouth class WW1 to 1/96 with a twin engine steam plant.

Miketoo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:37 pm 
Having done County class recently I couldn't resist giving Exeter a try. As was said here information about the ship is not easy to come by, but with the rigging plan (thanks to KevinD), new Friedman's book and some pictures googled around I put together something resembling Exeter. I've borrowed some pieces from County class and I have plans of HMS Penelope that gave some idea about equipment of the ship. Still, it's just a try and I'm curious what experts would say.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 648 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 33  Next