The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:20 am 

Thank you for this valuable suggestion :thumbs_up_1: I will look for Inventor.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:20 pm 

I have found that Inventor has severe limitations compared to SW. It can't do configurations and doesn't have the surfacing tools SW has. However it is more stable and is cheaper if you wait for a sale.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:06 pm 

I would have to agree, stay away from inventor it will be very disappointing.

SolidWorks can get you up and running very quickly. I have been using it since 1997 (mold and machine design), and can model just about anything in it. My company also used Pro engineer and Catia, I almost always go with SolidWorks when I get a project, I actually get product and drawings out quicker. I have even done a 1/350 scale Graf Zepplin in it and have printed it in a 3d printer.

Todd

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:32 am 

Graf Zeppelin 1:350 printed on 3d printer... :faint: This is eXACTLY what I dream to achieve.

If it is possible I would be anxious to see the picture pleeeease of Graf Zeppelin (or any ready ship model printed on 3d printer this way) :worship_1:

I would also be very interested to know whether you have done some manual operations with the model after printing it on 3d printer - models like GZ in 1:350 are quite 'long' so I understand you had to print it in 'portions' and then glue. Is it advisable to do some manual upfit like railings and rigging or THE PRINTER does all the job.

Thank you very much for your information!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yevgeniy

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 am 

3D Printers don't have a very high resolution, i.e. dot's per inch. It's not like regular printing where you can print lines with very high quality. After the 3D "print" there is a lot of cleanup. It's good for getting the basic shape and size down, but details have to be done manually. That has been my experience, they might have some super-duper high res version out now that does everything for you, but they didn't when Tim and I were drooling over them.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:44 am 

Yes, I know about resolution problem - that is why I am even more interested to see how lucky guys print now on 3d printers (especially ships being complex structures with many details). So far I have seen only 3d printer advertisement short movie...you know you can not believe advertisements :heh:

Whatever the case now I believe 3d printers will change the ways we do modeling in some 10 years when they found economic ways of making them and cut down the price to a normal paper printer :heh: . I believe by that time they will also achieve much higher resolution.

But I am still drooloing to see Graf Zeppelin in 1:350 printed on 3d printer :worship_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:04 am 

Yeah, it would still be pretty cool.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:47 am 

I use both Solid Edge and Solid Works myself, been using each for ~9 years now.

Barrel Backed Chris Craft
Austin Healey type shell

the above were done in Solid Edge, I am looking to digitize a USS Missouri and model that next :).

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:21 pm 

Cadman wrote:
OK how many drafters do we have here? I use AutoCAD on a regular basis and have even done a ship or two. How about you all?

Cad drafter / designer / mad scientist for 20 years. Started with AutoCad V 9.0. Drafted for Proctor and Gamble & Pirelli Cable for years. Used BobCad for CNC stuff years ago and now do lots of solid modeling and CNC machining with Solidworks fro my own business.

A friend of mine bought BaD Ship models last year and I have been bringing all of the kit parts into 21st century production using AutoCad and Solidworks. I've been reverse engineering the original wooden patterns and creating laser cutting files for the parts.

My latest bit of fun has been bring all the Charles F Adams parts into Solidworks and assemble the ship... still have a ways to go though.

Lots of fun!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:11 pm 

I'm a Mechanical Engineer (may be Moniacal Engineer) and I use Autocad to make 2D and 3D drawings and Bobcad to turn the Autocad drawings into G code for my CNC router.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:34 pm 

Rhino3D 4.0. I am also trying to learn tsplines, which is a Rhino plug-in. Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:32 am 

What can i expect financially with a CAD degree? I am going to school to earn an associates cad degree. Computer art drafting. I plan to draw architectual plans maybe other things. What can i expect to earn financially starting out then future outlook?

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:38 pm 

I would imagine a lot of it depends on the industry and experience, even coming out of school. In the US, for example, what with the decrease in building projects, there's less need for traditional architectural CAD until people start planning and building new office spaces, etc. But people are still designing airplanes, ships, etc.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It really depends on where you live. Here in the Midwest it's 25 to 45k. But there is not a lot of hiring going on.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:45 pm 

Newbee, here :smallsmile:. I Just recently retired from from a naval engineering activity and I am trying to get back into model building (1/700 scale ship & 1/72 scale ac). Last time I built a model ship was in the late 60's.

I am fairly proficient in AutoCAD, ship installation drawings, incl 3D work. However, I have yet to try may hand at virtual model building. I hope to get up to speed on it later this year, once I get CAD / CAM set up for this. In the meantime, I am in the process of tooling up.

By the way, where is a good place for newcomer to start on this website?
Looking for directions.
-Tom B.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:03 am 

tombrashear wrote:
Newbee, here :smallsmile:. By the way, where is a good place for newcomer to start on this website?
Looking for directions.-Tom B.

Tom
This is as good as any place to start, welcome :big_grin:
Directions? bugs always sed "I should've turned left at al-bee-kirk-ee"
Tony

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:18 am 

Thnx Tony.

...Hey, wasn't that the wrong turn that landed bugs in Tazmania?

Anyway, looks like there is a lot offered on this website. I esp like the photogallery. Some really amazing craftmanship... ...I wonder if they post 3D renditions too.

-Tom B.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:20 pm 

Tom: as far as I know it hasn't been done before, but I'd like to see it. Try contacting CADman (he might be a little biased in your favor as you can guess :heh: ) or Sean Hert.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are a few virtual ships in our gallery. So if you want to submit photos of your CAD work, they will be treated the same. Post some of your in progress shots here and we can offer some tips.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:34 pm 

OK, thnx.

As previously indicated, I am currently in the processes of tooling up, so I won't get my first stab
at virtural model building until later this year.

Also, I take it that jpg conversions would be preferred over the rendered objects themselves.
As I recall, the rendered files tend to be memory hogs.

-Tom B.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next