The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:16 am 

Hi!

I am new here. I have been building ship models since I was a kid. Liked ships so much I joined the Navy and saw the world (well, the Pacific).

I have been working on a 1:96 model of the USS Oklahoma City CLG-5 for about five years. I am working from the original blueprints from the National Archives plus a lot of my own photos taken on the ship 1969-72. I started constructing a 3D CAD model to help figure out how the radar towers fit together, and then just continued to build the entire ship in CAD. The CAD model is 1:1 scale, with almost all details from 1/4 inch (5mm) up. It is a work in progress. See:

http://www.okieboat.com/CAD%20model.html

I have been using the DesignCAD 3D Max program since 1987 (called ProDesign then). It is a far more competent program than you would imagine for the $100US price tag (just check out my CAD model page), and has possibly the easiest to use interface of any CAD program, plus a great user forum. If you want an inexpensive program to start learning 3D CAD I recommend it.

Attachments:
File comment: USS Oklahoma City CLG-5 CAD model
CLG5 ship assembly low res.jpg
CLG5 ship assembly low res.jpg [ 141.78 KiB | Viewed 2465 times ]

Last edited by DrPR on Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:59 am 

Hi Phil,

I just sent you an email with a very, very brief summary of the SPS-30...

...I didn't know how technical I should get on the subj. :sleepy:

-Tom B.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:19 am 

Cadman wrote:
There are a few virtual ships in our gallery. So if you want to submit photos of your CAD work, they will be treated the same. Post some of your in progress shots here and we can offer some tips.

Hey Tim, Tracey, Sean

I noticed that some folks out there are interested in getting ship drawings. You might want to take
a gander at Phil's "Okiboat" website... ...some REALLY impressive work there, by the way!

However, what also caught my attention was that Phil cites accesses to the National Archives to get microfilm copies of decom ship drawings... ...You might want to pass this on in the "tips & tricks" section.

Ciao, :cool_2:
-Tom B

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:06 pm 

Hi all,

Interesting thread. I started out on AutoCad many years ago and moved to Inventer for a while, but have been using Solidworks for the past 12 years or so doing mechanical design for the Defence Department. I'm currently doing a 3D model of of an ex USN Tagos ship for wind turbulence investigation. I'm also building a 1:72 scratchbuilt RC Tico cruiser and Arleigh Burke destroyer and am using Solidworks to model all the fittings, doors, weapons, bollards, lights etc for rapid prototype printing (3D laser printer). The initial results are impressive and a much easier way of producing 50+ doors complete with hinges, clips etc.

I'll post building progress in another thread as things progress.

Cheers,
Garry.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:18 pm 

We might have to recruit you for some work with Dragon. ;)

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:51 am 

Hi all,

I am new in this bbs so just post on this thread as a self-introduction. I have been using AutoCAD, 3DS (now 3dsmax) for quite a long time. Started to use them to model warships in 2000 and my first project was IJN Takao, based on the highly detailed 'Anatomy of the ship: Takao'. Later I moved onto Fuso, Dreadnought, Queen Mary and Invincible, with some other smaller vessels. Well, maybe I have gone too far with details, that none of them are complete. So I am still working whenever time allows. The main tools I use: Rhino for modeling complete objects, AutoCAD for regular shapes and assembling, 3dsmax for rendering. Recently I started to use Modo for hull making, which seems more suitable than Rhino on this subject. I am a not-so-active member in the Dreadnought project and had some renderings on its web, any one interested please follow this link http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:29 am 

I had to use Acad 10 and put it through its paces whilst doing a certificate of competency as ships engineer, since then though have only mucked about with other versions of Acad.
Same course also had to use Autoship, now thats a nice program. Have done very little recently though. :wave_1: :wave_1: :wave_1:

Update:
Have been in the land of smiles and managed to procure a version of a rastor -) vector -) cad program
which I hope to put through its paces.
Lets see what transpires hey lads. :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

Last edited by rpeteru on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:10 pm 

Greetings all,

I have been a mechanical/cad designer for 30+ years specializing in MicroStation going back to when it was a VAX based and called IGDS. Hawe experience in ProE and SmartCam. Have used AutoCad on the edges over the years but MicroStation is by far my favorite and I use it daily. In fact, I can use MicroStation to open AutoCad files in native format, edit and save them without having to convert the file. Works for me!

Anyway, would love to do a 3D project of just about any ship, coastal artillery and fortifications! Started doing a M1890 12 sea coast mortar but I need to get more drawings and time to do it. Enjoy reading about everyone's experiences and projects!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

frontkampfer wrote:
have been a mechanical/cad designer for 30+ years specializing in MicroStation going back to when it was a VAX based and called IGDS.

Now that's old. AutoCAD all the way for me. For a project, I would suggest something that interests you. Post some screen captures of your work when you can.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:26 pm 

hi guys im new here just signed in today. I been using solidworks for a while now as my main cad program and also useing solid edge for abt a year. my main cad is drawing aircraft from factory drawings for museums, replica builder, and rc modellers. now I wanna have a try at ship design but am totally lost as how to do hulls so hoping to learn something here.

I want to do for myself personally 3 ships to make as a large RC model. I want to do the Yamamoto, the Bismark (currently trying to vector the station lines to do my loft) and an old sumner class or fletcher class destroyer.

the rest of the stuff on the ships are easy for me but I cant seem to make heads or tails out of the station stuff for lofting the fuse.

Joe H.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:30 pm 

Joe,

Are you working from station line drawings or a Table of Offsets?

Station lines are vertical slices perpendicular to the longitudinal center line. Waterlines are horizontal slices through the hull at various elevations. Butt lines are vertical slices at regular transverse distances from the centerline.

Station spacing varies from hull to hull. For example, for the 610 foot long Cleveland cruisers station spacing was 15 feet, but it was 16.5 feet for the 673.5 foot Baltimore class ships. The length of the ship is divided into some number of stations and the general lines are drawn onto the hull cross sections at these stations. Later, after the hull lines are done the actual frame lines are created.

The Table of Offsets is much more accurate than hull line drawings. For US ships the width of the hull (transverse or "Z" dimension) is given in feet/inches/eighths of an inch - so 23-7-3 would be 23 feet plus 7 inches plus 3/8 inch. Sometimes the eighths number may have a "+" suffix, meaning that it is more than the value given, but less than an additional eighth (I just add 1/16 inch). I am not familiar with how foreign tables are set up.

These numbers are listed at various elevations (waterlines, or "Y" dimension) at a given station (longitudinal, or "X" dimension).

All elevations are relative to an imaginary "Base Line" on the inside of the keel plating. All offsets are to the inside of the hull plating - the actual outer surface of the framing the plating attaches to. Hote: the hull is substantially wider where the armor belts are attached outside the hull plating.

Did this help?

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:37 pm 

lol not sure what I have. for the bismark I am using the drawings out of the anatomy of a ship book. I just started a thread for the help stuff as I figured this wasnt the place to do a full discussion on it. I will digest what you just posted and see what I have and maybe post a pic on my other thread.

joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:01 pm 

Hi Joe, welcome. I am putting together a tutorial on how to make a hull using surfaces in Solidworks. I'll post it on here as soon as it is done. Make sure and look for another recent post where DrPr and I discussed it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:14 pm 

ok thanks rob. I think what gets me most is all those station or profile lines seem to intersect etc everything else. I am really good at loftin in solidworks even wrot tons of tutorials for the rc plane guys i just dont understand all the lines for the ship stuff so will be looking fer yer tutorial

Joe H.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:16 pm 

BTW I do have a really nice sumner class destroyer done in rhino and 3d max but it get errors trying to get it into solidworks

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:24 pm 

I am something of a wiz at converting files if you need some help.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:50 pm 

well the file in rhino format which is what is supposed to be able to open in SW is at my website http://www.proflooney.net/destroyerrhino.zip

I get that it isnt a sollid or something in solidworks. I am gonna doublecheck the file seeif I can see something weird in it. but basically I want to get rid of the superstructure and just have the hull to start with in solidworks. I was in the navy and was on both a spruance class destroyer DD-967 the Elliot and a DDG DDG-15 the Berkeley both are scrapheaps now as the spruances they scrapped them all due to the aluminum superstructure cracking and I hear they rebuilt them with different materials and they called them something else now

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:02 pm 

Joe,

One of the problems I have seen in 3D file transfers is that what appears to be a solid in one program isn't a solid in another.

You can create a 3D object two ways in CAD, additive or subtractive.

Additive - draw each surface separately and then lump them together and call it a solid.

Subtractive - start with a large "work" piece and subtract "tool" pieces from it, like machining a block of metal on a milling machine or chipping away from a block of stone to create a sculpture.

The additive process can produce "leaky" solids with tiny gaps between surfaces. If exported to other programs these gaps can cause the parts to fail to be a true solid.

The subtractive process always leaves a true solid with no leaks.

Last edited by DrPR on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:06 pm 

thanks yes I use solidworks most of the time for all my cad work working in parasolids. A friend of mine does a lot of 3d graphics work as I call it using 3d max and such for movies and cgi stuff. H happened to have a very detailed sumner class destroyer he gave me but it wasnt working to make a solid. oh well I was hoping to get off easy.

I have the station drawings vectorized for the Yamamoto and am working on the Hull stuff now then to figure out what I do with it lol.

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:06 am 

Joe I was able to start converting it with a program I have but it keeps crashing the compy on me, so I need to play around with it. It is recognizing files and it is converting some of them, but about 20 minutes into it my laptop dies. I am going to try again tonight on my desktop which is a lot more powerful and 64 bit.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next