The 96 BENSON-GLEAVES dual class are difficult to define easily as to standard configurations. These ships were delivered from before WWII into 1943 and were updated several times. As has been mentioned, look through this string of postings for many examples.
Besides the power-plant and different shaped stacks, there were other sub-groups based on when they were ordered/built, which builder produced them, and when key armament items (40-mm and 20-mm guns) were available. The original BENSON-GLEAVES group (DD421-444) were built/completed with five 5-in/38 mounts (except for the last couple completed), ten torpedo tubes (TT) and six 0.50-cal MG's. In mid-1941 these units had the original searchlight tower removed and DD421-428, and 431 retained five 5-in/38 guns, but lost 5-TT and had more MG's added for a total of ten. The balance of the early group, DD429-430 and 432-444, had the 53 mount 5-in/38 removed, retained 10-TT, and had 12-MG's. The previous open mounts received a half shield with a canvas top (Mount 53 on four gun units). Surviving units started to have six 20-mm replacing the 10-12 MG's in early 1942. Two twin 40-mm mounts were added starting in December 1942 into early 1944 on surviving units. There are other variations included with-in this group like the only DesDiv of the original group to see early service in the Pacific, DesDiv 22 (DD433-436), were authorized to have nine 20-mm guns like the MONSSEN kit.
The Repeat BENSON-GLEAVES units, DD-453 and after, followed the same power-plants, stacks, and basically the same layout. But, many, many, many details varied between builders and as change notices were incorporated ... check photos. Twenty-four of the Repeat units (from DD-454 on in ORDER of completion) were completed with a temporary quad 1.1-in mount in the starboard tub intended for a twin 40-mm mount. A single 20-mm gun was installed in the port tub ... this gave the ships a total of five 20-mm guns. Once the twin 40-mm mounts were available in July 1942, the authorized armament for repeat units was four 5-in mounts, two twin 40-mm mounts, four 20-mm single mounts, and 5-TT. The original group units were slowly standardized to the same except they retained 10-TT.
In late 1942 a fifth 20-mm was authorized and added in front of the bridge on an elevated platform ... FOR THE REPEAT UNITS ONLY. A short-while afterwards two more 20-mm guns were authorized in the bridge wings of Repeat Units for a total of seven 20-mm guns ... except for the twenty Square-Bridge units where the two additional 20-mm guns were added amidships. The original group retained an authorization for only four 20-mm guns. Some units updated in 1943 at Pearl Harbor got some strange looking modifications to these standards that looked nothing like sister ships modified stateside. This was the authorized armaments for the remainder of the war until the Anti-Kamikaze program came into being in April 1945. Of course some units were converted to DMS starting in late 1944. Many times, sister units in the same DesDiv were closer in configuration than to other units that were built by the same builder, but not assigned to the same Div. Many features were modified for the dual-class as lessons were learned ... example the location of the Mk 51 directors for the 40-mm mounts were relocated several times to get to a satisfactory location.
I really recommend that you seek out reference books and look through the Navsource and Destroyer History Foundation websites
...
http://www.destroyerhistory.org/benson- ... index.html ...