The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:49 pm 

ccain wrote:
desron48 wrote:
chris......one good trick i learned....before sanding is to put a thin layer of spackel over the entire hull...then coat inside the hull with resin or epoxy the spackel keeps the resin from seeping out side the hull this also locks the planks so they won't shift on you when your sanding. :thumbs_up_1: ....joe.....btw hulls looking exelent.....

Thanks Joe! Let's say I was looking into epoxy... What's the best epoxy to buy that will hold up for this purpose? I mean, I know there are some model rocket guys that are using this stuff:

What do you think?

Dave Wooley wrote:
Hi Chris A superbly crafted plank on frame hull . Question what type of adhesive do you use to bond the planks? I've always used a resin based wood glue called Cascamite now produced in the UK by Humbrol. The blurb says it's stronger that the material that it's bonding!
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Wow Dave, Thank you so much! Well, Ive never tried to attack anything quite like this before. So, prior to construction I did several adhesive tests using every kind of glue I could get at the hardware store. I then took these test panels and abused them severely. No kiddin', I threw these things around the shop, twisted them, pried on them and even whacked them with various blunt objects. The neighbors probably thought I was mad! :heh: The ONLY one to hold up, and to my surprise was the one built with plain old "Super Glue". Don't get me wrong it DID break but the super glue never separated, the wood broke away from it. I was sold.

So, long story short, it's all held together with super glue. And I figured since I'm going to apply a coating over the entire hull that it should hold up just fine. Although, I have to tell you... I have always been guilty of over engineering things.

trigrodge wrote:
hi ccain,
your hull looks fantastic, i've never built a hull from scratch before but want to give it a go when my other projects are done, so trying to gather as much info as possible, am i correct in thinking this is just a plug for a fibreglass hull or will this be the actual hull?
many thanks
leigh :thumbs_up_1:

Hi Trig...
Nope, not a plug. She's gonna get a coating (to be determined later) and this hull will be used as the actual hull for the build. Good luck with your build!
hey chris......tell ya the truth iv'e never used epoxy....i've used polyester for many many years....my fiberglass supplier keep trying to sell me on that west epoxy but it's very pricey.....any way i would use some thing that can saturate the frames and planking real good and dry hard as a rock....maybe some one else has good points to say bout epoxy.....joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:53 pm 

ccain wrote:
I worked out the hull mounted sonars today...

exelent work on the domes chris.....what kind of wood are you using both the domes and planking??.....joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:42 pm 

desron48 wrote:
exelent work on the domes chris.....what kind of wood are you using both the domes and planking??.....joe

Hey Joe... I'm using clear white pine for the carvings and I used honey pine which I milled at my father-in-laws shop.
I like it. It's light, flexible and sands really easily.

I finished up the stern this evening as well.

I think I got the domes close...

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:52 am 

ccain wrote:
desron48 wrote:

Hey Joe... I'm using clear white pine for the carvings and I used honey pine which I milled at my father-in-laws shop.
I like it. It's light, flexible and sands really easily.

I finished up the stern this evening as well.

I think I got the domes close...

i use clear pine as well... readily availabe for me ..im a finish carpenter...my boss lets me have all the scraps and cut offs...how ever some times i have to buy pine over 4 feet long....the pic of that pattern i sent you is planked in pine but the bow and stern blocks are MDF.....have you decided on the covering??.....joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 4:43 pm 

desron48 wrote:
have you decided on the covering??.....joe

No... Not yet. I'm still researching.

I took a break from my hull covering research to rough out the 5"/54 caliber Mark 42 gun. It needs a ton of sanding yet. I'm gonna try my hand at this resin casting thing... That is, once I get the supplies. After I cast them I'll hit them hard with details. I made the gun barrel with a pin on the back that fits into the guns structure. I figure this would make it easier the cast.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:38 pm 

ccain wrote:
desron48 wrote:

I took a break from my hull covering research to rough out the 5"/54 caliber Mark 42 gun. It needs a ton of sanding yet. I'm gonna try my hand at this resin casting thing... That is, once I get the supplies. After I cast them I'll hit them hard with details. I made the gun barrel with a pin on the back that fits into the guns structure. I figure this would make it easier the cast.

exelent chris.....doing a great job...... :thumbs_up_1: .....joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:20 pm 

ccain wrote:
desron48 wrote:

so ya going to start casting fittings heh??? here's my source http://www.silpak.com i use this because there spitting distance from me.......joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:29 pm 

desron48 wrote:
so ya going to start casting fittings heh??? here's my source http://www.silpak.com i use this because there spitting distance from me.......joe

Sweet! Thanks Joe! That's right up the road.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:43 pm 

OK... So, I know I said I was gonna cast another mount, but I had the stuff and I decided to just go ahead and make another one. I also threw a coat of primer on the first one. I may end up casting the better of the two, then again maybe not. But I am gonna give this casting thing a try. But that will be down the road a bit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:48 pm 

Well... I ordered up the resin that I will be using on the hull. So, while I'm waiting on that to come, I decided to press forward with the build and continue to rough out more components.

Here's the single Tartar...

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:53 pm 

ccain wrote:
Well... I ordered up the resin that I will be using on the hull. So, while I'm waiting on that to come, I decided to press forward with the build and continue to rough out more components.

Here's the single Tartar...

exelent.....awsome.....looking good chris.. :thumbs_up_1: ....if i may be so bold...where did you get your resin??...joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:37 pm 

desron48 wrote:
exelent.....awsome.....looking good chris.. :thumbs_up_1: ....if i may be so bold...where did you get your resin??...joe

Thanks Joe.

I'm getting the casting resin and mold making supplies from Silpak. :thumbs_up_1:

But... For the hull, I went with Max Clr. It's out of Ontario CA and I found it on that pig-latin auction site. I couldn't beat the price. :heh: I'm going to be coating inside and outside of the hull as well as using fiberglass mat and cloth for added rigidity.

I wanted something strong enough to take a little abuse. Here's the particulars:

Quote:
MAX CLR-HP A/B is a two-part epoxy based system specially formulated as High Performance version of the MAX CLR resin system.It offers higher mechanical performance while maintaining crystal clarity, gloss and other aesthetic qualities. MAX CLR-HP provides excellent performance at wider service temperature range, especially its retention of its mechanical hardness at elevated temperatures as well its durability when exposed to below freezing temperatures. Its none blushing performance, high gloss finish, excellent transparent clarity, color stability and ease of use make MAX CLR-HP an excellent choice as an impregnating resin for composite fabrics, protective coatings, casting resin and general fabricating applications.

MAX CLR-HP Is an excellent resin system applications where color stability and water clarity is crucial
Scientific Specimen Preservation, Molding Resin, Kayak and Canoe Stitch and Tape, Surfboard Fiberglass Laminating Resin, Craft Decoupage Resin, High Gloss Bar Counter Top Coating, Plaque Coatings, Clear Castings, Chemical Resistant Coatings

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES

Density:
1.10 G/CC

Form and Color:
Clear Liquid

Viscosity:
2,800 – 3,200 cPs @ 25ºC Mixed

Mix Ratio:
50 Parts “B” to 100 Parts “A” By Weight

Working Time:
45 – 50 Minutes @ 25ºC

Thin Film Set Time:
4 to 6 Hours

Handle Time:
8 Hours

Cure Time:
2 to 7 days @ 25ºC or 8 hours at room temperature plus 1 hours at 100ºC

Hardness:
80 ± 5 Shore D,

Tee-Peel Strength:
5.7 Lbs. per inch Width

Tensile Shear Strength:
2,935 psi @ 25ºC
1,970 psi @ -40ºC
1250 psi @ 100ºC

Elongation:
3.0% @ 25ºC

Flexural Strength:
13,000 psi

Flexural Modulus:
344,000 psi

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:52 pm 

ccain wrote:
desron48 wrote:

Thanks Joe.

I'm getting the casting resin and mold making supplies from Silpak. :thumbs_up_1:

But... For the hull, I went with Max Clr. It's out of Ontario CA and I found it on that pig-latin auction site. I couldn't beat the price. :heh: I'm going to be coating inside and outside of the hull as well as using fiberglass mat and cloth for added rigidity.

I wanted something strong enough to take a little abuse. Here's the particulars:

Quote:
MAX CLR-HP A/B is a two-part epoxy based system specially formulated as High Performance version of the MAX CLR resin system.It offers higher mechanical performance while maintaining crystal clarity, gloss and other aesthetic qualities. MAX CLR-HP provides excellent performance at wider service temperature range, especially its retention of its mechanical hardness at elevated temperatures as well its durability when exposed to below freezing temperatures. Its none blushing performance, high gloss finish, excellent transparent clarity, color stability and ease of use make MAX CLR-HP an excellent choice as an impregnating resin for composite fabrics, protective coatings, casting resin and general fabricating applications.

MAX CLR-HP Is an excellent resin system applications where color stability and water clarity is crucial
Scientific Specimen Preservation, Molding Resin, Kayak and Canoe Stitch and Tape, Surfboard Fiberglass Laminating Resin, Craft Decoupage Resin, High Gloss Bar Counter Top Coating, Plaque Coatings, Clear Castings, Chemical Resistant Coatings

PHYSICAL PROPERTIES AND MECHANICAL PROPERTIES

Density:
1.10 G/CC

Form and Color:
Clear Liquid

Viscosity:
2,800 – 3,200 cPs @ 25ºC Mixed

Mix Ratio:
50 Parts “B” to 100 Parts “A” By Weight

Working Time:
45 – 50 Minutes @ 25ºC

Thin Film Set Time:
4 to 6 Hours

Handle Time:
8 Hours

Cure Time:
2 to 7 days @ 25ºC or 8 hours at room temperature plus 1 hours at 100ºC

Hardness:
80 ± 5 Shore D,

Tee-Peel Strength:
5.7 Lbs. per inch Width

Tensile Shear Strength:
2,935 psi @ 25ºC
1,970 psi @ -40ºC
1250 psi @ 100ºC

Elongation:
3.0% @ 25ºC

Flexural Strength:
13,000 psi

Flexural Modulus:
344,000 psi
looks like your on the right track..... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:42 pm 

Got a little more done to the Tartar...

Here's my missile lathe :big_grin:

Added a few details... I think I'm gonna hang it up for the night.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:39 am 

ccain wrote:
Got a little more done to the Tartar...

Here's my missile lathe :big_grin:

Added a few details... I think I'm gonna hang it up for the night.

that lathe sure looks familar..lol..i got one just like it......whatever works :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:30 pm 

Wow.... :lol_3: :lol_3:

This is turning out great :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:13 pm 

OK... So, my resin will be here tomorrow. I'm itching to get started on the hull again.

I got a little more detail on the parts I've built so far. I'm also running some paint tests.

So...

Here's some more progress on the deck weapons.

I also started working on the ASROC.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:32 pm 

i can't come up with any words dude......all the words have been said..... :thumbs_up_1: ...i will say....CARRY ON CHRIS......JOE

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:45 pm 

Well... What good is a ship without her Captain?

I'm probably not going to use him on the deck or anything. I just had a little time to kill after dinner and... Well.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present... Captain Woody. (My stepson named him :big_grin:)

Hmmm... The ship must be dry-docked in Mississippi.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:59 am 

ccain wrote:
Well... What good is a ship without her Captain?

I'm probably not going to use him on the deck or anything. I just had a little time to kill after dinner and... Well.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present... Captain Woody. (My stepson named him :big_grin:)

Hmmm... The ship must be dry-docked in Mississippi.

if that skeeter was that big in mississippi.....i'd leave real quick......nice carving.....joe

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next