The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1:48 USS Monitor 1862
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:28 am 

I finally decided that my first build of a working ship should be of a vessel that was fairly unique in naval history. Without doubt, the HMS Warrior was the first purpose built Iron Clad, however, to me, the first true Iron Clad of the same gene pool of modern war ships would have to be the Monitor. From the Keel up she was a purpose built Iron Clad with the first revolving turret.
Attachment:
h02780.jpg
h02780.jpg [ 80.4 KiB | Viewed 5333 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Internal layout plans of monitor
monitor1m small.jpg
monitor1m small.jpg [ 76.25 KiB | Viewed 5333 times ]

The views above are similar to the plans I purchased from Taubman Plans via the Loyalhanna Dockyard. The plans are not really geared towards building a model, however, the plans do make one use their noodle to work out keel shapes, bulkhead shapes of the "Raft" section of the hull and how to overcome the issues of just how close the waterline is to the deck. She is 1100mm long and 270mm across the beam. From the deck to the bottom of the drain keel she is a mere 80mm. The waterline is somewhere between 12mm and 10mm from the deck.... Definitely a calm water craft.
Unlike many of those experienced gentlemen ship builders out there, I was a tad excited and didn't photo log my progress. I have already glued the bulkheads to the keel ready to start the faring process to plank the frames. I also will be doing a final sand of the frames and harrassing the edges prior to planking.
Attachment:
File comment: The bow end. Part of the keel to be cut away for the anchor well. Several more bulkeads to be cut and attached
Bow end framing.JPG
Bow end framing.JPG [ 123.01 KiB | Viewed 5333 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Stern end. The prop well to be built with the recess in the keel to be sited for the rudder controls and more bulkheads to be added
Stern end framing.JPG
Stern end framing.JPG [ 129.71 KiB | Viewed 5333 times ]

Am looking to acquire a prop shaft before too much longer to set in position prior to planking. Have taken measurements, the shaft is dead level and down the centreline.... will this be a problem for sealing against water going down the shaft?
My next project is much bigger than this and as such I hope to hone a few basic skills on a smaller vessel prior to tackling the big girl. Hope to have something more substantial for the next post, till then, happy building and hope the New Financial Year finds us a little richer!
Kiwimedic and Ron (ARH) thanks to you both for inspiring me to start!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:37 am 

i will be following this build with great interest.....so far looking good.. :thumbs_up_1: ..joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:47 am 

Love this sort of thing, and looking forward to progress, with something 1-48 will you be R/C this Monitor ?

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:08 am 

Hello Bakdeson :wave_1:

I have built too the USS Monitor at the same scale of 1/48e. You can see my work on a ..... another forum sorry!!!

This is the link : http://www.wmunderway.8m.com/cgi/yabb2/ ... 1224206399

My model is RC and navigate very good but becareful, at a great speed, the bow "plunge" in the water!

Good luck for your project :smallsmile:

Alain

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:07 pm 

Increase the scale by a factor of 3 and see if you can borrow this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWn8gQ9Ykpk

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:14 pm 

This is really looking good Gavin, can`t wait to get in and give a helping hand :thumbs_up_1: :shipcaptain:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:52 am 

G'day all, well, true to my form, I wasn't happy with the way the start of this was going, I have restarted and sourced a product that may be of interest to some of you other guys for scratchbuilding. In Australia the price of a staple building product like Balsa wood is rediculous, about AUS$2.50 for a sheet of 1/16"x 3"x 915mm long (sorry for the change in measurement systems, I regularly work with both) I have been busy researching a diferent source of material that would be more cost effective for the dollar and have decided upon veneer. I have been able to source .6mm Turpentine veneer 8"x 8'for AUS$10.00. Being a hardwood and being very good for boat building and pier construction, I decided to give it a crack.
Attachment:
File comment: 5 sheets of Turpentine veneer
S6000284.JPG
S6000284.JPG [ 117.73 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]

Firstly, before the pics, thanks to Alain in particular who gave me some really good tips. Mark, If I could get a hold of it, I would seriously have a go at going bigger, that engine would be sensational. Bomber... mate, as you can see I have stared doing two, so get ready for combat!!!! ( Don't worry, both hulls will be seaworthy, wouldn't build you a dodgy one :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:)
I am cutting the frames from old Western Red Cedar stock I have had laying around for about 10 years, so it is dry and really light. I cut it down with my mini table saw and make the frames 6mm x 10mm with the front and rear sectoins of the hull shapers 10mm x 74mm. This is 2hrs worth of effort including the cutting of the stock.
Attachment:
File comment: Stern keel pieces with bulk head frames
S6000278.JPG
S6000278.JPG [ 135.15 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Bow keel pieces with a bulkhead frame
S6000279.JPG
S6000279.JPG [ 144.25 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Assembled bow and stern frames on keel pieces
S6000285.JPG
S6000285.JPG [ 148.06 KiB | Viewed 5049 times ]

You can see my little saw under the pieces of framing,.... glue drying area.
Next phase will be the build up of the lower hull frames and attaching them to the central keel section. the three sections will then be joined together and the skins applied.
:lol_3: I can't wait... Also, have noticed that there have been some issues not only here in Australia, but elsewhere in relation to the availability of litho plate, may have a very inexpensive alternative.
By for now.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:47 am 

G'day guys, been busy again. The frame is starting to take shape.
I have basically built the hull frame in reverse... seemed like a logical approach. I cut all the timbers that would make the flat upper hull, recessed the beams to take the longitudinal strengtheners and then glued the whole show together on the cut out of the upper deck. On this I have plotted the frame positions to give me a guide and then after glueing the first row of beams and the end frames to the longitudinal beams, I then glued on the deck spacers and them the lower beams. This has now given me a box type frame and frm here I can manufacture the lower keel sections then glue that assembly to the upper hull. I used my router to cut out the recesses in the upper beams.
Attachment:
File comment: Here is the first stage where the end asseblies were being laid onto the longitudinal beams with the deck beams being spaced out using the frame spacings on the cut-out.
First stage of monitor deck frames.JPG
First stage of monitor deck frames.JPG [ 122.86 KiB | Viewed 4909 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here is a view of the upper hull with the bow and stern assemblies attached
Monitor top frame stern view.JPG
Monitor top frame stern view.JPG [ 116.55 KiB | Viewed 4909 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Showing the starboard side frames are lining up
View along hull upper frames.JPG
View along hull upper frames.JPG [ 130.35 KiB | Viewed 4909 times ]

From here I will be making up the keel section and attaching and also cutting out around the top and bottom of the frames and keel section for the strip of timber to show the curve and to assist in gluing the sheets of veneer on. This will also give me a line to fare the bulkeads to. Bye for now. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:11 am 

Don't hate me for saying this, just thinking about cross-sections and considering the amount of work you're poring into something that's not ever going to be seen. Would you consider a slice through showing the inner working of this ship, iron clad, flat thingy type errr :whistle: of your Monitor ? On one side showing the vessel as it would be, and the other side cut-away showing the supporting beams cross member and weapons etc etc etc. :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:20 am 

G'day Aleccap, mate, had to put all the extra frames in because the veneer is so thin, I needed the support the extra frames will give. The framing so far has only taken 6 hrs and that is for two hulls being built at the same time. because everyting is straight bits, seems to be fairly, dare I say it, easy! :big_grin:
A cut away would be very interesting but would be a monumental project needing a lot of brass to build the frames and plate the hull. Woulod like to have a go at it one day when my skill levels have improved

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:37 am 

This is looking very from the last time I saw it sitting on your bench :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: , it looks like some one else has come up with the same idea I put to you last week mate, :big_grin: , building a model and section it showing the inner workings of the boat now that would be something to do :big_grin: :big_grin: but I think if something like this was ever done it would have to be done at a scale of at least 1:20 in order to show the detail clearly, don`t get me wrong here mate I`m not saying this should be our next project but hey just think of it here we are building an American boat 150 years old and we can`t get the same info about an Australian vessel, oh well but yeah mate this is looking very good :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:44 am 

G'day gentlemen.
Well, due to work committments (not a really good excuse, but an accurate one) I apologise for the delays, but I have at last been able to get some work done on the sisters and thanks to Bombardier, this work has progressed well. He patiently cut a significant number of lower hull frames for me.
Firstly I built the well where the prop will go and cut the stern keel plate for the prop shaft. Will have to cut the shaft sleeve and re-sleeve it. Considering the addition of a grease nipple as the shaft is so flat, didn't want hydrostatic pressure or excess pressure from a working prop filling the hull and turning her into a sub. Any suggestions greatly appreciated... heres the pic with the 'prop shaft in situe ( not glued yet though)

Attachments:
File comment: Stern prop well with the shaft placed in situ. Shows the formers in the prop well to form the shape of the cavity.
Stern prop well with shaft.JPG
Stern prop well with shaft.JPG [ 134.4 KiB | Viewed 4700 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:00 am 

ooops, hit the wrong button, and didn't spell check....
here is the pic showing the frames that the Bombadier cut for me (half of them) and I glued up
Attachment:
File comment: Here are the lower hull bulkheads and the keel with the halfcheck notches cut in.
Lower hull bulkheads and keel.JPG
Lower hull bulkheads and keel.JPG [ 115.91 KiB | Viewed 4701 times ]

Next I checked the frames, glued them to the keel and then glued this assembly to the upper hull frame... now starting to look a little more like a boat.
Attachment:
File comment: Lower frames joined to the upper frames and shows the overall framing throughout.
Lower hull frame joined to upper hull frame.JPG
Lower hull frame joined to upper hull frame.JPG [ 127.55 KiB | Viewed 4701 times ]

Now for the messy pic... here you see the sisters together, one with the lower hull being glued to the upper hull and the second with the first bit of the skin on her sides...
Attachment:
File comment: The sisters together and progressing
Catch-up on hull two and starting the skin on the first hull.JPG
Catch-up on hull two and starting the skin on the first hull.JPG [ 132.13 KiB | Viewed 4701 times ]

Just need to clean this up and she will start to look the part. :big_grin:
Hope to post another reply tonight with the skin cleaned up and a closer pic showing what I have done.
NB: the veneer is brittle but very strong. Glues well and am looking forward to the whole hull being finished. To date the timber component of the hull weighs less than the prop shaft on its own!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:16 am 

They are looking sweet now Gavin, it was good to have given you that helping hand on Sunday cutting all those pieces for the Bulk Heads, now you can see these grand old ladies taking shape :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: but I can say I was surprised with the weight, there was no weight to speak of with the framing so far.

Keep smiling Gavin :thumbs_up_1: :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:26 am 

Been at it again, now we have a little more to see, the frame is being covered up :big_grin: :thumbs_up_1:
Both hulls are at the same point now.
Attachment:
File comment: A view from above with the hull upright. All the frames were trued in and the sheeting was applied. Found a good sourse for Balsa if any one from Australia is interested, could save a lot of money.
view from on top of skinned hull from stern.JPG
view from on top of skinned hull from stern.JPG [ 117.08 KiB | Viewed 4541 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Here is the hull upside down from the stern. Shows the prop well has been lined. Hole for shaft sited but no rudder yet.
Skinned hull from the stern.JPG
Skinned hull from the stern.JPG [ 113.63 KiB | Viewed 4541 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: View of the bow area. need to cut the hole for the anchor well and build all the mechanisms in the well for the chain.
Skinned hull from Bow.JPG
Skinned hull from Bow.JPG [ 122.33 KiB | Viewed 4541 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: This shows the lines, so far so good, everything seems to line up.
edge of hull showing profile.JPG
edge of hull showing profile.JPG [ 107.6 KiB | Viewed 4541 times ]

Well, the next phase is to seal the skin and apply the armour plates. Also need to adjust the prop shafts, build the skeg, prop and rudder, build the anchor and anchor well assembly.
very soon will also fit the drain keel, but holding off as the ship sits flatter without it... :big_grin:
Hope to update again soon.
Plans for the next project will hopefully arrive in a fortnight, so need to get a wriggle on to get this slipway cleared.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:08 pm 

:woo_hoo: wow you can really see the line of this old girl really taking shape now mate, you did get a wriggle on, she looks great now :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:11 am 

Here is an update of the hulls sanded down and the frames needing removal removed....
Attachment:
File comment: The razor saw and the snap knife are invaluable as well as the steel ruler
The hulls with the bulkhead frames and the basic tools.JPG
The hulls with the bulkhead frames and the basic tools.JPG [ 133.48 KiB | Viewed 4503 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: both hulls showing the cut away bulkheads
both hulls from the bow..JPG
both hulls from the bow..JPG [ 132.21 KiB | Viewed 4503 times ]

The latest installments seem to show the progress is looking like a real boat should and the plating of te exterior hull plates should be ale to start soon. The radio gear and propulsion systems should be attached to their mountings soon.

Attachments:
File comment: frames removed from stern area
hulls with tops or frames removed.JPG
hulls with tops or frames removed.JPG [ 132.06 KiB | Viewed 4503 times ]
Close up of the stern section of removed bulkhed frames removed.JPG
Close up of the stern section of removed bulkhed frames removed.JPG [ 129.88 KiB | Viewed 4503 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:17 am 

Why do the smaller jobs take the longest?
Cut down the shaft housings and put on a stove pipe so I can add a grease nipple. Anybody got any ideas on an appropriate grease for the shafts?
Also made the props. Brass hub with the blades made from copper. All soldered together. Hope this will be strong enough, as will be a slow speed vessel, hope the slow revs will add to the longevity of the set-up.
Attachment:
File comment: Exploded view of the shaft sleeves and props all disassembled
The exploded view of the two shafts and home made props.JPG
The exploded view of the two shafts and home made props.JPG [ 117.92 KiB | Viewed 4394 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: The shafts and props assembled
Assembled props and shafts.JPG
Assembled props and shafts.JPG [ 134.36 KiB | Viewed 4394 times ]

I am yet to balance the props and am yet to make the bush that will bind the hub to the shaft. Intend to use a steel pin to pin the prop in place once final assembly is complete.
Attachment:
File comment: The prop from the stern
Showing the prop mounted.JPG
Showing the prop mounted.JPG [ 110.98 KiB | Viewed 4394 times ]

Can't wait to get the skeg built and the bottom of the hull plated.... will start to look the part then.
Attachment:
File comment: Top view of the assembly
Top view showing shaft and prop mounted.JPG
Top view showing shaft and prop mounted.JPG [ 118.93 KiB | Viewed 4394 times ]

Here we see the setup from above and thanks to Bomber and his timely research, had to cut away some timberwork covering the prop well, it was apparently open from the bottom and only had a hatch cover on the deck. :thumbs_up_1: thanks
Attachment:
File comment: The sisters at the same point
Showing both hulls to the same point again.JPG
Showing both hulls to the same point again.JPG [ 143.09 KiB | Viewed 4394 times ]

Here are the girls together and at the same point of construction. Hope to get materials for the skeg and rudder this week as well as resin the interior of the hull in preps for the exterior plating coming soon... :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:01 am 

Location: turning into a power-hungry Yamato-models-munching monster... buahahahaha...
Looking very nice indeed! I have the old battlefleet (or is it battlefield?) 1/144 kit, and your build is highly inspirational.

Jorit

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:40 am 

Beautiful work.

Report this post