The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:03 am 

Dear All,

well I have finally taken the plunge and have embarked on my first real scratch build. I am afraid this build will be a little slow, as I am still working full time, traveling quite a lot (with work) and doting on my new grand daughter way too much :thumbs_up_1:

So, the details, a Russian Slava Class, based on Ozpirates plans, I will use George at Sitek for the running gear, and Action Electronics for the control stuff. I am building a plank on frame hull, to be skinned with 2mm ply and a Fiberglass mat coating and probably way too much bog.

Frames are 6mm marine ply, the main keel is 12 x 12mm oak and the focsle and quarter deck keels are 6mm marine ply.

I currently have 3/4 of the frames traced and cut, the main keel is cut and on the build board and the focsle keel is attached to the main keel. (This is the only part currently fixed in place, the rest of the images show dry fit only.)

First image are the focsle frames.

The next few images show various shots of the fore end frames dry fitted into the focsle part of the keel.

The couple of shots show the main keel being connected to the focsle keel and installed on the build board

I will assemble all of the frames with the keel down. once this is done I will invert the hull, and stand the hull on the "pegs" you see. I am hoping this will make skinning and forming a little easier.

The underwater stern section of the Slava is a little complex, with a neat tunnel down the Centre line. Above the water we have the door in the transom for the towed decoy or VDS, not sure which one. and the transom is inclined. I am planning to "carve this piece in Balsa and attach the structure to the last vertical frame. If anyone has any better ideas would love to hear them.

Next weekend I am off down the coast a few hundred klicks to attend a model show and have some time out. So not much will be reported for at least two weeks.

Feedback is always welcome. Please do not be too hard n a rank novice.... :thanks:

Regards,

Andrew :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:38 am 

Good luck with your build Andrew, I will be following you on your journey as I will be in the same boat! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:25 am 

G'day Andrew! Nice start mate, wish I'd thought of having the pegs 2 attach 2 build board !! What sort of price was the marine ply ?? Might go with that on my next build.
The cheap Bunning's ply wood (a hardware store chain here in OZ) is either really good quality or complete rubbish depending on which day you go in! Not much happenin on my USS California build here as I'm off sick at the moment. (although plastic kit construction has been keepin me sane !!......mostly!! :heh:
It will be an interesting build and you R doin fine mate. I was in same boat this time last year when I started my 1st one!!

Happy building, Bruce

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS JOHN PAUL JONES DDG53
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS SEAWOLF SSN21
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:38 pm 

Good luck with your build, I've been expecting this one for a while! I didn't even use a build board (which I should have done though). You're off for a good start on a handsome ship. The stern door is for a VDS.
:thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:01 pm 

Nice pictures Andrew but maybe for scale show something included in your pictures people can relate to, maybe a RC unit (Transmitter Unit)
With me I have shown myself standing next to my model. When you can get a picture of you standing next to your model. Your model standing straight up next to a person is a great shot for many a large model.
Where you heading down south?
Mick

1/72 Steregushchy-class corvette

Mick
Tumut Australia

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:09 pm 

Good luck with your build Andrew! Looks great! 'Can't wait to see more!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:04 pm 

ozpirate wrote:
Nice pictures Andrew but maybe for scale show something included in your pictures people can relate to, maybe a RC unit (Transmitter Unit)
With me I have shown myself standing next to my model. When you can get a picture of you standing next to your model. Your model standing straight up next to a person is a great shot for many a large model.
Where you heading down south?
Mick

G'day Mick,

Thanks for the pointers, will have the proverbial "match box" in the photos from now on :big_grin:

I am heading down to Murwillumbah for a model expo that will inlcude ships.

Regards,

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:11 pm 

HvyCgn9 wrote:
G'day Andrew! Nice start mate, wish I'd thought of having the pegs 2 attach 2 build board !! What sort of price was the marine ply ?? Might go with that on my next build.
The cheap Bunning's ply wood (a hardware store chain here in OZ) is either really good quality or complete rubbish depending on which day you go in! Not much happenin on my USS California build here as I'm off sick at the moment. (although plastic kit construction has been keepin me sane !!......mostly!! :heh:
It will be an interesting build and you R doin fine mate. I was in same boat this time last year when I started my 1st one!!

Happy building, Bruce

Thanks Bruce,

The "pegs" were not my idea, I read about them on a modelmayhem master class thread. I got the ply from Bunnings, I will let you know the cost when I get back home tonight. (At the "real job" right now :censored_2: )

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:02 am 

looking good so far andrew.... :thumbs_up_1: have you given up on the tico???.....joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:49 am 

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for the good wishes. :thanks:

Hi Joe, I haven't given up on the Tico. I am hoping for some good news this week re delivery etc., so I hope to run both builds in parallel. Let's see how I get on :whistle:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:40 am 

HvyCgn9 wrote:

Happy building, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Get well soon. :dead:
The marine ply was obtained at Bunnings @$15.50 per 1200x600x 6mm sheet. Probably a bit expensive, but it is nice timber. (I know it gets covered up, but it is like a scotsman's kilt, I will know what is underneath :big_grin: ) I can only find the 2mm stuff at my local hobby shop and it is pretty expensive. Can't remember the number but I do remember being shocked! :Mad_6: They claim it is aircraft grade, whatever that means. I have a sheet of 1200x600x3mm ply ($7.30) but it feels a little too stiff for the curves at the bow. Maybe I will cut it into thin strips, i.e. real planks.

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:51 am 

Hi Andrew,
Yeah hobby shop ply is damned expensive I stopped by one up near Salisbury, where I got my ply for USS Long Beach and the bugga's have put the prices UP! used to be $22.50 for a sheet 1500mmX300mmX1.5mm.....now they asking $30 a sheet!! (and I need atleast 4 sheets!)
I am going to shop around a wee bit before I fork out on the ply for California's hull planks!!
Have You decided what motor's you R going 2 run in the Slava?? Also which Ship R you going 2 base her on?? (She need's a Name!!)

Cheers Bruce :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:49 pm 

Hi Andrew A superb subject , not easy but good luck .You are off to a flying start .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :woo_hoo:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:04 pm 

Thank you for the support Dave, Ii was hoping to have you "looking over my shoulder". :big_grin:

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:26 pm 

Ticonderoga wrote:
Thank you for the support Dave, Ii was hoping to have you "looking over my shoulder". :big_grin:

Andrew

Andrew you are very welcome I shall be looking forward to it .
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:06 pm 

HvyCgn9 wrote:
Hi Andrew,
Yeah hobby shop ply is damned expensive I stopped by one up near Salisbury, where I got my ply for USS Long Beach and the bugga's have put the prices UP! used to be $22.50 for a sheet 1500mmX300mmX1.5mm.....now they asking $30 a sheet!! (and I need atleast 4 sheets!)
I am going to shop around a wee bit before I fork out on the ply for California's hull planks!!
Have You decided what motor's you R going 2 run in the Slava?? Also which Ship R you going 2 base her on?? (She need's a Name!!)

Hi Bruce,

Not sure about the motors yet, happy to receive advice here. Regards the name, as I have Seaphoto's set of pics from the Varyag vist to the US, Varyag it is! (I also have a Trumpeter 1/350 plastic model to help as well) :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:55 am 

Cool! Varyag is a good name!! She (the real ship) looks 2 be in Superb condition for her age, compared 2 how the Russian's treat the rest of their ships ( maybe being Pacflt Flagship helps!!)
Motor wise you will need something with max rpms around 5000 at 12v for best power 2 a 2.5" prop. Also depends how much you want 2 spend!! a nice motor would be a Graupner 720 torque they R about $62AU ea from www.westbourne-model.co.uk or U could get a Bueller type motor they have plenty of grunt (not sure on the rpms/volt however) or cheaper alternative is 555 sized motor from www.cncmodels.com for about $15US

Cheers Bruce

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:05 am 

Hi everyone,

Not too much progress over the last few days, but I am off to Murwullimbah tomorrow (Saturday) for a weekend away, (and to check out a model exhibition :big_grin: ) so I thought I would post a couple of pics.

I am afraid there will not be any progress for the remainder of this month. :censored_2: After this weekend away I am traveling with work again for 2.5 weeks. Turkey and Canada this time. Maybe I will get some nice ship photos

I learned a very good lesson, NEVER trust the labels on items. I decided on 6mm ply for my frame and fwd and stern keel sections. Well I bought my ply from the hardware place over two trips, and assumed the 6mm ply was in fact 6mm ply. It turns out that the first sheet I bought was actually 7mm or more. Of course I used an off cut from the original sheet to mark my cut outs and consequently the cut outs for the frames made from the second batch of ply (which is 6mm) are too wide and the joints are not as "nice" a fit as I would have liked :Mad_6:

Anyway, not too much harm done, I can make the slots tighter. You can bet I will not mix product batches of any kind again.

Well now for the pictures: Note everything is still only a dry fit.

A longish shot attempting to show the developing hull frames against a backdrop of the plans.

The frames still to be cut out and the stern keel section

A closer shot of the frames, the ruler shows height from under keel to under main deck of 20cm

My favourite shot for the moment showing the nice sheer of the fore deck developing nicely.

Hopefully I will get time to post some pics of the exhibition on Monday before I head off

Andrew :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 am 

Looking good Andrew . :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:35 am 

Andrew everyone makes that sort of mistake sometimes more than once!! I will have 2 pull my finger out and get stuck into my California build 2 keep up with ya!!
She's coming along nicely and starting 2 show off her nice hull lines!!

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next