The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:03 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Hello again all :wave_1: Well, after completion and delivery of the USS Indiana project, I have taken a short respite from building. I am ready to get back at it! This new project is a bit off the wall for me. I am used to doing larger ships, so this small craft will be a good diversion for me. I feel it will make an interesting subject. How I got to this was I was contacted by a veteran, Mr. Jack Read, who served on these boats during the 1944 invasion of Europe at Normandy. He wanted to know if I could build him a replica of the boat. After looking things over, I agreed to start construction. In keeping with my feelings towards the Vets, I am doing this labor free. Mr.Read is now 88 years old. He is quite active for his age. He came to the Indiana presentation in Indianapolis recently, and drove all the way from Pennsylvania to meet me and check out the Indiana. A really nice fellow, as they all are. Let's take a look, and I'll give a brief rundown on things............
Attachment:
File comment: Stb. side view of the Boat underway. Note the pilothouse. This was the bronze version, early production. Bronze started to run short during the War, so later versions were fitted with a plywood pilothouse. More angular and less of a chamber on the roof. Basic layout was the same in either case.
ResFlot1_83624.jpg
ResFlot1_83624.jpg [ 271.64 KiB | Viewed 11021 times ]

A brief Hisory lesson............The 83 footers were wood-hulled craft,the hull form was the round bilged type, single planked. The design for the boats was completed in March of 1941, and 40 boats were contracted to be built by the Wheeler Shipyards in Brooklyn, N.Y. With the advent of WW2, a further 190 boats were ordered. Early units were fitted with an Everdur bronze pilothouse. Due to a shortage of bronze, later boats were fitted with a plwood pilothouse. All craft were capable of 21 knots full speed at the time of delivery, but their performance was degraded by machinery wear as well as the increased displacement from armaments,radar, sonor, etc. Top speed was dropped to about 16 knots. During 1941-45 these boats were used for anti-submarine patrol, costal convoy escot,and search and rescue. They played a little known important role during the Normandy Invasions harrasing German U-Boats, but most importantly saving some 1500 lives. These boats were 83' in length, had a beam of 16 feet, and weighed in at 54 tons. They were powered by two Sterling Viking II gasoline engines, rated at 600 HP each. The boat carried 1900 gallons of 100 octane fuel. Later units were equipped with a 20mm MG at the stern, two 7.2 rocket launchers, and 8 depth charges. Only a handful of the proud little ships still exist today. Here's some more photos.................
Attachment:
File comment: Heres an early version of the 83. Note the absence of depth charges and rocket launchers. You can see the 20mm.
ResFlot1_205.jpg
ResFlot1_205.jpg [ 282.17 KiB | Viewed 11021 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Another shot of the early version. Note the roof on the bronze pilothouse.
ResFlot1_3743.jpg
ResFlot1_3743.jpg [ 287.33 KiB | Viewed 11021 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Heres a later version. Note the difference in the pilothouse.
ResFlot1_4077.jpg
ResFlot1_4077.jpg [ 245.04 KiB | Viewed 11021 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Heres thae actual boat I will build. Look close and you can see the rocket launchers and depth charges.
02-09-2010 03;04;45PM.jpg
02-09-2010 03;04;45PM.jpg [ 98.78 KiB | Viewed 11021 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Good shot of the subject. Note the boxes on either side of the pilothouse. Storage for the 7.2 rockets. This has the plywood pilothouse.
83 foot cutter 1.jpg
83 foot cutter 1.jpg [ 61.24 KiB | Viewed 11021 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Heres Mr. Read, 20 something. He his now 88, and is an Honorary Master Chief of the USCG.
jackread.gif
jackread.gif [ 127.73 KiB | Viewed 11021 times ]

Well, theres a description of whats new here. Due to the fact that the plans are rather poor for this subject, I have decided to use a fibreglass hull, rather than scratchbuild one. But it is just that, a hull. No details whatsoever. So there will be lots of scratchbuilding on this one. Model will be 1/24 scale which puts it at about 42". It will be waterline with crew. Stay tuned, more to come!! :wave_1: :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 pm 

this will be interesting...... :thumbs_up_1: who's fiberglass hull are you using???....joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:37 pm 

Hi Bill,

Good to see another build, really looking forward to the lessons :woo_hoo:

Andrew

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:12 am 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

desron48 wrote:
this will be interesting...... :thumbs_up_1: who's fiberglass hull are you using???....joe

Hull comes from "Coast Guard Models" out of Illinois. Only saw one photo of it. It is supposed to be a "very clean product". We will see. I'm still waiting for it. They sent the first one to the wrong address, and it dissapeared. So I await another one. Not starting out to be so great.......... :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:08 am 

Hi Bill,

interesting subject! :-) Did these boats wear any camouflage schemes?

Bye,

Bernd.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:36 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

109 wrote:
Hi Bill,

interesting subject! :-) Did these boats wear any camouflage schemes?

Bye,

Bernd.

No, no camo. Just Navy Grey,red bottom, decks sort of a grayish color...weathered wood.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:35 pm 

Bill,

You partially answered the first question that came to my mind. Where did you find plans for the boat?

I have had a lot of frustration trying to find builders' plans for small boats such as motor whale boats, utility boats and personnel boats. I did find plans for a small minesweeper in the National Archives.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:45 am 

Hi Bill :wave_1:
Interesting little project you have there.
Any idea about the power output of the type as it's the first i've seen of them.

Roy

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:21 pm 

Hi Bill Just retuned from a break and I see that you are changing tack so to speak from the large to the small. Interesting subject . I will be looking at this build with great interest.
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:32 pm 

and by looking at the photo's......looks like it should be a very quick very clean build.....looking forward.....joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:45 pm 

An unusual subject but a very very interesting one... Looking ofrward to any progress... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:48 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

DrPR wrote:
Bill,

You partially answered the first question that came to my mind. Where did you find plans for the boat?

I have had a lot of frustration trying to find builders' plans for small boats such as motor whale boats, utility boats and personnel boats. I did find plans for a small minesweeper in the National Archives.

Plans came from Floating Drydock, but are the original early production version. I am doing the later version of the boat. Mr.Read was able to locate plans for the later version from a CG Museum in Seattle, Wash. Drawn in 1/24 or close to it. I have yet to recieve them.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:50 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

roy allen wrote:
Hi Bill :wave_1:
Interesting little project you have there.
Any idea about the power output of the type as it's the first i've seen of them.

Roy

Don't really know. I can tell you she pushed 1200 HP at the engines. No idea of SHP. Made about 17 knots top speed, not as designed.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:51 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Hello again all. :wave_1: While awaiting my fibreglass hull, I decided to take on the building of the pilothouse for the boat. I call it a boat as it's a bit small to be a ship. Overall length will be about 41", with a beam of 8.5", in 1/24 scale. After an exhaustive search, there were no original drawings to be found for this later plywood pilothouse. Mr.Read and his son, who is an accomplished CAD person were able to come up with some really good drawings of what we feel this unit should look like. A best guess scenario if you will. Mr. Read was aboard during WW2 and has a very good memory of the boat. It's really quite amazing after over 65 years. In any event, going by the CAD drawings, I was able to come up with a good representation of said pilothouse. Hull has now arrived and work continues. Let's take a look...............
Attachment:
File comment: Portside overhead view here. House is made from balsa and sheet and strip styrene. There are 11 windows, or ports. Only two open, just behind the center one. I represented it open, while all others are glazed over with thin clear styrene. Roof is 3/32" balsa, and house walls are .020 styrene.
DSC03705.JPG
DSC03705.JPG [ 154.47 KiB | Viewed 10710 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Stb. side overhead view here. Note the frames around the ports. I made a small mold of the frame, then Vac-U-Formed them, adding the rivet pattern with a pounce wheel after molding. I then cut them out and attached them. The three forward ports are slightly bigger than the others. The divider strips between the wall sections are .010 styrene strip.
DSC03706.JPG
DSC03706.JPG [ 161.45 KiB | Viewed 10710 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Another view here from stb. side. Note the curvature of the roof. W/T door opening added as well as a porthole on the back wall.
DSC03713.JPG
DSC03713.JPG [ 158.13 KiB | Viewed 10710 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Portside view here. Note the dogs for the W/T door, made from .030 steel wire. Rivet pattern around ports more visible here.
DSC03714.JPG
DSC03714.JPG [ 152.92 KiB | Viewed 10710 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Aft wall of the pilothouse. Note the grey abs angles mounted. They are part of the supports for two platforms that will go here. Basswood grating will be used. This will be the Flying bridge. Opening in the center will be closed in and will contain the engine controls, compass and tachs, as well as a voice tube of two. Steering wheel will go in the center just below this. Hole you see is marked wrong. Porthole will also be glazed from inside.
DSC03709.JPG
DSC03709.JPG [ 135.56 KiB | Viewed 10710 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Inside view of the pilothouse. Built much the same way that the original was. A bit more interior bracing to be added. This will all be painted white. Lots of other details to add, but you get the idea.
DSC03711.JPG
DSC03711.JPG [ 170.95 KiB | Viewed 10710 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Stb. side view. Again, more detail to be added as I go along.
DSC03720.JPG
DSC03720.JPG [ 153.49 KiB | Viewed 10710 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Heres the radio, desk, chart compartment and storage area located inside the house on the aft wall of the Pilothouse. Dials are clock, barometer and radio speaker with the square unit being the radio. Knob on drawer too big, so I'll replace it with a smaller one.
DSC03733.JPG
DSC03733.JPG [ 94.13 KiB | Viewed 10710 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: The above compartment in its position. Not yet permanantly attached. More to come on these inside details later.
DSC03735.JPG
DSC03735.JPG [ 107.29 KiB | Viewed 10710 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: W/T door outside. I will attach this in its open position for display.
DSC03736.JPG
DSC03736.JPG [ 106.29 KiB | Viewed 10704 times ]

Well, there's the rough-in on the pilothouse. Many more goodies to be added, so stay tuned! I continue on.................. :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Attachments:
File comment: Opening on that back wall now closed in and I have added the engine controls. In the center will go a compass and to the left of that the engine tachs. Voice tubes to be added later.
DSC03738.JPG
DSC03738.JPG [ 79.25 KiB | Viewed 10704 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:09 pm 

Very Nice :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:16 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Well, I am quickly back :cool_2: As I said above, the fibreglass hull has finally arrived after 3 weeks. A screw up in shipping, but nevertheless, it is here. It was advertised as a "very clean product". The verdict? Well, it is clean. But it has no details on it whatsoever. Up to the modeler to add those. Thats Ok, we can do that! It also has a slight twist to it from fore to aft. I will compensate for that during the rest of the build. I have never used a fibreglass hull before so this is new for me. All in all, I think it will work out. The general shape looks accurate, and the finish is good. A bit of sanding and tweaking here and there. Lets take a look.............
Attachment:
File comment: The first order of business with this was to sand it out smooth. I then had to plot out where the deck would go. There is a line molded in the hull that shows the break between the hull and the bulwark, but it does not go all the way aft. I drew lines on the outside of the hull where the deck should be, then drilled small holes that would be visible on the inside of the hull after a coat of white primer. I then added the framework you see, plotting along the small holes already drilled. 1/4" balsa stick used here. Frame work is flat right now, I will add the camber before I secure the deck to the hull.
DSC03745.JPG
DSC03745.JPG [ 172.78 KiB | Viewed 10690 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Another view of the deck framework. Note how rough the inside of the hull is. I will cover the inside of the bulwark with some thin sheet balsa with a styrene overlay after deck is installed to cover this roughness. Bulwark bracing and details will be added after that. Note the lower rub rail installed.
DSC03746.JPG
DSC03746.JPG [ 180.03 KiB | Viewed 10690 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Heres the preliminary waterline base for the boat. 3/4" particle board. I plotted lines on the hull at 2 inch increments on the bottom of the keel. I then drew these same 2 inch increments on the board with a centerline. Using a pair of large dividers or calipers, I plotted the width of the waterline as it goes down the hull then transferred these dimensions to the board to get the waterline profile. I did this as I did not want to cut thru the fibreglass at the waterline. This way, I can adjust the rise of the ship as she goes thru the water, high speed or low.
DSC03744.JPG
DSC03744.JPG [ 155.14 KiB | Viewed 10690 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Portside aft, looking fwd. Again note the rubrails. Deck is 1/16" sheet balsa. I will cover this with 1/32" scribed basswood,to simulate the plank lines at 1/8" spacing, then add the camber to the deck using 1/8" balsa stick. More on that later.
DSC03740.JPG
DSC03740.JPG [ 154.76 KiB | Viewed 10690 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: A close up of the intermediate rubrails. Made from 1/8" sq. balsa and faced with .080 1/2 round styrene to simulate galvanived iron as on the real boat. Note the holes drilled for the deck plot and the plot line for the main rubrail, which will cover the holes.
DSC03741.JPG
DSC03741.JPG [ 200.24 KiB | Viewed 10690 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Portside overhead view. Note the boat does not fit tight into the base as I want to be able to adjust it slightly as I begin the model the water.
DSC03743.JPG
DSC03743.JPG [ 144.03 KiB | Viewed 10690 times ]

And theres the rough-in so far. Things going to plan Ok, if I can just get these people to send my stuff to the right place. :heh: More to come............Stay tuned...........I continue on................... :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Attachments:
File comment: Now we have the hull, pilothouse and deck dry fit together and placed on the base. All loose fit for now. Note I have added the intermediate rub rails on this side. Still have to do the upper one which is slightly wider.
DSC03739.JPG
DSC03739.JPG [ 146.97 KiB | Viewed 10690 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:49 am 

thanks bill.....looking great.....

joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:42 am 

Hi Bill your build is once again is top draw. I do like the detailing in the wheel house, nice touch . A friend of mine who specializes in coastal warships and particularly landing craft of all types has built a working 83' cutter at the same scale, looks superb on the water. Great subject for modeling . I am amazed at your ability to go from one build to another almost without coming up for breath.
Dave Wooley
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:23 am 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Dave Wooley wrote:
Hi Bill your build is once again is top draw. I do like the detailing in the wheel house, nice touch . A friend of mine who specializes in coastal warships and particularly landing craft of all types has built a working 83' cutter at the same scale, looks superb on the water. Great subject for modeling . I am amazed at your ability to go from one build to another almost without coming up for breath.
Dave Wooley
:thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Hello Dave, Thanks for the comments. Any chance of some photos of your friends 83' cutter. Like to see it...........

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:18 am 

Hi Bill Here is the photo of David Jack's 83ft type and two other sub chancers .

Hope this is of some help.
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Attachments:
IMG_3970.jpg
IMG_3970.jpg [ 134.59 KiB | Viewed 10617 times ]
IMG_2085.jpg
IMG_2085.jpg [ 138.79 KiB | Viewed 10616 times ]
IMG_3955.jpg
IMG_3955.jpg [ 108.42 KiB | Viewed 10616 times ]
Report this post