The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rhono 3D classes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:02 pm 

This is probably below the skill level of most of you here, but has anyone taken any of the Introduction to Rhino 3D classes? I'm specifically looking at this one:

http://www.magneticvisions.com/Level1.htm

I've had Rhino for several years, but I've never had the time to teach myself how to use it. I find myself wanting to use it more and more, though, the more I get into scratchbuilding. I haven't used CAD since I took a class on AutoCad back in 1995, and remember none of it. I'm pretty good with Photoshop and those types of programs, so I'm looking for something to teach me the basics and give me an idea of the potential.

Any opinions?

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: Rhono 3D classes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:41 pm 

Devin,

The only way to really learn how to use a CAD program is by using it. Classes can expose you to the features of the program (as can just reading the manual) but you won't remember them all. Does Rhino have a users' forum? If so get active on it. You will get better and quicker answers from experienced users than you will from a class instructor.

Ask yourself, what do I not know about using the program? Then devise a project that will force you to learn. Start with something simple. Figure out how to do it. Move on to something more complex, etc. Anything is a good learning project - just look around the room and pick something.

For a simple boat project make a model of something like a Lightning sail boat hull - it doesn't have the complex curves of a warship hull, but you have to figure out how to create a hull shape. Don't try to make it dimensionally accurate, just make it look about right. A bit more complex is a motor whaleboat.

I have used CAD programs for more than 20 years, but I didn't start trying to create a CAD ship model until about five years ago. The complex shapes were quite a challenge at first, but I learned. You can see the results at:

http://www.okieboat.com/CAD%20model.html

If you have questions about how to go about creating a 3D CAD ship model ask them here. The basic principles of 3D design are common to all programs.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:18 am 

Thanks for the feedback. While teaching myself via experimenting and asking others is the way I've always done things in the past, and I've got along quite well with that, I feel that I need a head-start in this case and I'm not sure if the class is the way to go. Anymore if I'm not at work I feel I should be working on my writing and seeking representation for that, and what little time is left after that I want to be able to build models. Tackling something like teaching myself CAD isn't something I think I have time for; which of course could simply mean that I should stick with doing things the old fashioned way, but maybe a weekend class would tell me if it's worth my while or not.

I see the point about getting exposed to specifics for ship building, though. I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

Thanks again.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:14 pm 

The forums are your best possible resource. I am self taught with AutoCAD and SolidWorks and I learned both by doing and by going to the forums whenever I had a problem. Start out with a project. Pick something you are interested in and model it.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:51 pm 

Hi Devin,

I took the level I course at McNeel in Miami, but the instruction is standardized, probably the same everywhere.

We have a similar CAD background. I had been exposed to AutoCAD, but had never gotten very far with it. I now use Rhino every day.

The Rhino course was well worth it, first rate, and money well spent. It will certainly give you a jumpstart. I was lucky in my instructors, too -- both of them were designers but also patient, natural teachers.

It is difficult to absorb it all -- it was a concentrated 3-day push. But it gives you a good sense of what the program is capable of doing, and the basic steps you need to get your own projects going. There is a tutorial DVD available from McNeel for Rhino, and I played with the DVD for several days leading up to the course. It is a good way to preview the basic commands.

Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:21 pm 

mcg,

My background is with regular mechanical/architectural/electronics design CAD programs, where the object is to create very precise engineering designs and dimentioned drawings or NC files for machining, stereolith, etc.

I know very little about Rhino, but it isn't usually mentioned as an engineering CAD program. I know you can create 3D objects and make pretty rendered scenes. I know people who have used it to create 3D stereolith files.

What is the purpose of Rhino, and does it have the CAD tools necessary to create precisely dimensioned objects? Does it produce files for numerical machine control?

How much cross compatibility is there between Rhino and CAD programs for exchange of files?

I have looked at the Rhino web site but appears to be all marketing hype created by paper shufflers who don't have a clue what the program is used for. Lots of pretty pictures and very little useable content.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:35 pm 

You might download it and try it. According to the web site, the trial version is fully functional and free, with no time limit, but a restriction on the number of file saves.

For a list of export file formats, enter File, Export, and it will pop up the list. Precision is set under File Properties.

The program's forte is curves and 3D surfaces. It was originally an AutoCAD plug-in and the command language is similar. To put it in some kind of context, here is link to a hull design software survey on the Boat Design forum.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/design ... 31058.html

Also, here is a quick hull tutorial that may give you a feel for it.

http://pkboatplans.com/files/Rhino_40sqm_Hull.pdf

It is not the be-all and end-all. It is a useful tool if you like 3D. I have had parts CNC machined from emailed Rhino3D files, but I have only done it twice so far. It worked fine.

Finally, search YouTube.com for Rhino3D tutorials and videos. There are several on hulls, boats, development from hulls, creating sections, lines & buttocks from Rhino3D hulls, etc. Also, the ORCA3D web site has a 40 minute video about their Rhino plug-in for hull design. Expensive unless you are a student, but impressive.

Report this post