The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:54 pm 

Dave
A truly superb model I will miss the monthly instalments of the build in the model boat magazines

Colin

Scottish Model Warship Assoc.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 am 

Hi Colin although this series is coming to a conclusion on MW it will continue in the pages of the Model Boats magazine for a couple of months yet but I really can’t disguise my own pleasure that other modellers such as yourself have enjoyed the long series of articles on the Kiev in the model press. Equally it is uplifting to know that modellers reading these monthly articles can gain something from them either at a practical level or perhaps just enjoying the read . From which ever direction the interest my be from the articles where done in the knowledge that the information will be out there in one form or another that modellers can make use of .Again thank you Colin for looking in and of course reading those articles .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:00 pm 

hi david
great model pleasure to watch come together
as always well thought out and a logical build and some very nice pictures and lots of how too's
no im no bitter that you gave it to the musum rather than take my money
when are you making the trip to yeovil
cheers
gary r

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:14 pm 

bismarck builder wrote:
hi david
great model pleasure to watch come together
as always well thought out and a logical build and some very nice pictures and lots of how too's
no im no bitter that you gave it to the musum rather than take my money
when are you making the trip to yeovil
cheers
gary r

Hi gary good to hear from you . I shall be taking Kiev to the Museum on Friday 18th of February to be placed into its case and I'l be going back to cover the model event on Saturday .
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:10 pm 

Dave: a wonderful model. What impresses me most is how clean it is -- no glue, scratches, misapplied paint -- and a level of detail that might be matched but not surpassed. And I am in awe of the idea of spending four years on a model and designing it for radio-control knowing that it would only sail once, then be put on permanent display. It certainly is worthy of display in any museum and if I ever get the chance to fly across the pond, it will certainly be on my itinerary. Once again, congratulations.

Dan Linton

recognized, it cannot be measured'

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:08 am 

Dan Linton wrote:
Dave: a wonderful model. What impresses me most is how clean it is -- no glue, scratches, misapplied paint -- and a level of detail that might be matched but not surpassed. And I am in awe of the idea of spending four years on a model and designing it for radio-control knowing that it would only sail once, then be put on permanent display. It certainly is worthy of display in any museum and if I ever get the chance to fly across the pond, it will certainly be on my itinerary. Once again, congratulations.

Dan Linton

Dan As a master craftsman in the art of carrier building your comments mean a lot to me . I have viewed the pictures of your model many times and it is the bench mark for ALL endeavoring to build such models , a classic is probably a better description and I do not exaggerate . I guess as modellers we try to plan the direction of our model building projects but it doesn’t always run as we would like. It is hear I have a confession; it was always envisaged from the start that the Kiev would be on the water more than once. Alas the time table of events conspired against this grand plan and we are where we are. Dan one day we must meet up, I would look forward to that day. I shall be meeting up with Jonathan Evans in July at the National Navy Day in Glasgow which is always a great jamboree of warship models, carriers included. Good to hear from you .

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:49 pm 

As mentioned there are a number of outstanding jobs remaining , two of which involves rigging the two cranes. The first is the forward crane used for lifting the Bazalt missiles
As can be seen in the picture the lift has two purchases . These where incorporated into the model. I have little firm information as to exactly how the crane was rigged other than that available in the pictures. Even the cranes aboard the old Minsk have been de-rigged, so no help there so. I had no choice but to apply some logic and a considerable amount of modellers licence .
Now the crane is fitted aboard the model. One job that can be crossed off the list. .
Dave Wooley nearly there :woo_hoo: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:53 pm 

Hi Dave,
Sent you a PM

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:56 am 

Wow Dave I hadn't realized you had finished her!! Looks great on the water mate.
Now I need 2 pester the Wagga boys about progress on their 1/72 version of 'Novorossiysk'

Cheers Bruce :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo:

Attachments:
File comment: bridges of Novorissiysk and Shinano with the bow of the plug for the USS Lexington to the left
micpix1LoRez.jpg
micpix1LoRez.jpg [ 145.31 KiB | Viewed 4588 times ]
File comment: Plug for Novorissiysk next 2 Craig's Big E work bench...Just to the right out of shot is the Hull for Shinano!!
micpix2LoRez.jpg
micpix2LoRez.jpg [ 142.13 KiB | Viewed 4588 times ]

1/72 RC USS SAIPAN LHA2
1/72 RC USS JOHN PAUL JONES DDG53
1/72 RC USS SHARK SSN591
1/72 RC USS SEAWOLF SSN21
1/72 RC USS ALBANY CG10
Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:03 am 

Hi Dave the cranes are very well executed..
no words :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:31 am 

Hi Bruce Good to hear from you . Yes Kiev is ALMOST completed , I'm still working on a few of the small fittings that I have left to the last , also installation of the ships boats . I'll take some FINAL pictures at the museum just before the model is cased. Just recieved a bucket of Intel pictures of the kiev that have never seen the light of day up untill now but cracking good material for the book!!! :wave_1: :thumbs_up_1: Also give my regards to the guys at Fleet Base Waaga and to get motivated and get that 72nd Novorossiysk on the water!
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:34 am 

Capitão Norbert wrote:
Hi Dave the cranes are very well executed..
no words :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Hi Norberto Yes I must admit rigging the cranes has been a bit of the headache but they are now both finished and installed , one less job to do . I will need a holiday after all this :heh: :heh: :heh:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 am 

hhehehe
well my cranes on Bismarck waiting me too... :heh:
no problem the satisfaction is in the good job in ready piece. :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:13 pm 

Hi Norbert Yes I remember having to build the cranes for Tirpitz !! :thumbs_up_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:29 pm 

Three years aand 18 days on this thread and almost finished! Dave, you are turning into a speed-builder!
Bravo Zulu! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
Cheers,
Guido

Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth. - H. IBSEN

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk8zhb1sc4Pe3BRLqq3d-SQ

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:13 pm 

Guido wrote:
Three years aand 18 days on this thread and almost finished! Dave, you are turning into a speed-builder!
Bravo Zulu! :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:
Cheers,
Guido

Hi Guido You are so right I will have to slow down for my next model or build at 1:700 at least I would be able to turn the model around in my workshop :heh: :heh: :wave_1:
Dave Wooley

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:57 pm 

Great Job Dave!! Congrats!! It will be a high spot on my next Yoevilton visit! Although, it's a shame I won't see her sail in person!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:46 am 

Admhawk wrote:
Great Job Dave!! Congrats!! It will be a high spot on my next Yoevilton visit! Although, it's a shame I won't see her sail in person!!

Hi Darren Thanks . I hope you do get a chance to come over and visit Yoevilton again Wall to Wall naval aviation a carrier builders nirvana . I must confess having sailed Kiev once and enjoyed the experience so much I would have liked a few more sorties but but time conspired against me. :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:52 pm 

Hi Dave

Some time ago you mentioned the ship model exhibition that takes place each year at Ellesmere Port, and I seem to remember it is around March. I wonder if you could post some info please or direct me to a web site where I will find it.

With kind regards and thanks in advance
Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:22 pm 

Dave, your build of Kiev has been inspirational and a good insite for scratch building detail. I hope the webmasters never take it down after it is completed. I've wanted to build a Kiev carrier for years, but as a consistant 1:72 scale modeller she would be massive in size. Still your build has been inspirational, I may just do it. Look forward to seeing your next project.

Robert

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103  Next