The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:13 am 

rob you can delete all the superstructure and just do the hull if you like as the hulls are the only thing I need for my ships the rest of the superstructures I will be cadding myself anyways to be able to produce the parts on the laser

joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:31 pm 

I am a forklift designer, been running Pro-E for 13 years now.....haven't modeled a ship with it though.

Currently in the dock:
1/350 Prinz Eugen
1/350 USS Missouri
1/350 Spruance Class
1/350 HMS King George V

In the Stash:
Cutty Sark
Box Scale USS Missouri - Gift

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:07 pm 

Guess i might as well add myself to the list

Naval Architect/ marine engineer.

Also doing digital hull masters on the side for YMW. As the first one has finally been released, I can post these without letting the cat out of the bag. Unfortunately I've got several more I can't show just yet.

Best Regards

Fritz Koopman

USS Worcester Hull, CL-144 (sorry the exported renderings get funny shadows)

Attachment:
cl144-1.jpg
cl144-1.jpg [ 30.51 KiB | Viewed 715 times ]

Attachment:
cl144-2.jpg
cl144-2.jpg [ 25.76 KiB | Viewed 715 times ]

Attachment:
cl144-3.jpg
cl144-3.jpg [ 33.48 KiB | Viewed 715 times ]

Fritz K.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 pm 

looks great I basically gave up trying to do a hull at least for now. one thing is I got too busy doing some aircraft for customers and cockpits, but then I need to get mack and try to finish my Yamato Hull if I can ever get it fixed. lol I need to take some surfaceing classes for Solidworks then maybe I can do hulls cause solid lofting sure dont work

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:14 pm 

proflooney wrote:
lol I need to take some surfaceing classes for Solidworks then maybe I can do hulls cause solid lofting sure dont work

Joe

I'm with you, its the way we've always done it. Our old software (which this hull was originally done with, had the fast-surf package). It was a matter of digitizing stations, and then mentally breaking down the hull into its component fair surfaces. I.e. hull below chine, bulb, transom, half-siding, etc. then using diagonals splines to fair the stations and make individual surfaces. Then trim them. Now that we work with solid compatible software, its still both easier and more accurate to work with individual surfaces, and then stitch them to make a solid.

I tried the "deform a solid block till it looks right" method, but I found it near impossible to get it to mach a defined set of existing stations with any accuracy, not to mention issues with chines etc.

Fritz K.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:23 pm 

well I am used to aircraft that dont have drastic changes in shapes like hulls do and I am used to just doing a solid loft all in one go. once I have the solid heres a cool trick. do an extrude cut and cut out all your stations. IE extrude cut and tell it to cut away everything but the drawings you made for the stations. now you have a lofted part showing all your stations.

Next save as an IGES file. close the loft then open the IGES. it will automatically create a seperate part for every station and create an assembly of all those parts. the only thing you will have to do is to mate them and I mate them to the top, front and right planes in the assembly.

thats a fast and easy way to pull out all your parts and it beats adding planes and doing intersect curves or projections

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:22 am 

Fritz,

What software do you use?

I work the same way. I could never get a single surface to go through all the contortions at the aft end of the keel without it ending up with wrinkles everywhere. Knuckles weren't a problem in single surfaces, but I usually create two surfaces on either side of the knuckle anyway.

Another place single surfaces were hard to use was at the stern, at the lower outboard end of the transom where the smooth curve of the side meets the knuckle under the stern. You did a good job there on your Worcester hull.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:38 am 

I am using Solidworks 2010 also have Solid Edge ST3 but dont use it much as i am waiting to head to phoenix for some work and then gonna take some classes on it. the guy i work for got me a seat but needs to get me some training with it.

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:56 pm 

DrPR,

The original file was done several years ago on Cadkey 7 with FastSurf package. Great for 3d wireframe modeling and surface development on a small platform. About two years ago we switched up to Key Creator (currently 9.0) which uses the same algorithms as Cadkey, but is now has the FastSurf and FastSolid packages integral to the program.

Fritz K.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7