The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:27 am 

64Molson wrote:
Greetings Everyone!

I am currently working on a Italeri 1/350 Gettysburg(CG-64). I cannot find any info or pictures of the placements of the triple torpedo launchers or the 25mm Bushmasters. It appears the torpedo launchers are mounted inside the hull (small door/hatch) slighty aft of midships. If they really are hidden (reduced radar signature) it's no big deal.
But the Bushmasters have to be somewhere. Does anyone have any leads on this?

I've been able to locate both on Burke class ships, but that's another build.

Thanks for your help.

Here are the locations of the Bushmasters

Various 1/700 aircraft.
Juan Carlos I LHD 1/700.
HMAS Canbera LHD 1/700.
FGS Type 122 class FFG 1/700.
LSD-41 class LPD 1/700.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:26 pm 

Nektarios,

Thanks for the great photo. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that there is another Bushmaster on the port side in about the same position. Further research has found the torpedo tubes. They are apparently located behind a hatchway that is below and forward (looks to be 20-30feet) of the Bushmaster in your photo.
What else are you doing on your Tico modernization? Do you have any more great shots you'd be willing to share?

Thanks for your assistance!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:04 am 

A related question, has anyone seen any new pictures of USS Bunker Hill CG 52 after the cruiser Modernization program? There are some major mast changes and some minor superstructure changes.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:08 pm 

64Molson wrote:
Nektarios,

Thanks for the great photo. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that there is another Bushmaster on the port side in about the same position. Further research has found the torpedo tubes. They are apparently located behind a hatchway that is below and forward (looks to be 20-30feet) of the Bushmaster in your photo.
What else are you doing on your Tico modernization? Do you have any more great shots you'd be willing to share?

Thanks for your assistance!!!

There are Bushmasters on both sides pretty much in the same position.

My moderniisation of the Ticos includes replacement of the MK-26 with VLS launchers in the first five ships of the class.

Various 1/700 aircraft.
Juan Carlos I LHD 1/700.
HMAS Canbera LHD 1/700.
FGS Type 122 class FFG 1/700.
LSD-41 class LPD 1/700.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:22 am 

sundownernz wrote:
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help me out with a source for 1:72 scale plans. I'm looking at building an RC Ticonderoga class cruiser. I have a set of plans for the Tico at 1:96 and could get these scaled up but would prefer to get a new set at 1:72. I was searching the net a few weeks ago and I'm sure I came across a company that had them in 1:72 but can't find the site again.

If anyone could steer me in the right direction for purchasing a set of 1:72 plans for this ship I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,
Garry.

Yes, 1:72 scale plans, plus either a hull, or a fairly complete semi-kit suitable for R/C is available from APS Models in Australia.

email him at apsmods at bigpond.net.au for more details and prices.

Here are a few models that have been built from those plans and kits

Chosin

Gettysburg

Mobile Bay, Gettysburg and Shiloh

Regards

Unicorn

Task Force 72, home of some of the world's finest 1:72 scale model ships http://www.taskforce72.org

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:04 pm 

I just ordered the 1/350 Dragon USS Mobile Bay, and I'm going to do my best to turn her into the USS Vicksburg. It's going to be a gift for a good friend, so I want it to be as perfect as I can. If anyone has any advice I could sure use it. My plan is to have it underway, but I'm not sure if I'll have it in heavy seas or during a Vert-Rep.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:55 pm 

I've been looking at the USS Mobile Bay and the USS Vicksburg, and if anyone knows if there are any major differences in the two ships I could use a hand. I don't see anything different about them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:04 am 

Greetings,

is Dragon the only manufacturer that makes the 1:350 Ticonderoga Class Cruiser? If so I was wondering where I could order one? I've checked a couple vendor sites and haven't had any luck finding it. I've also tried the Dragon website but it only gave me links to vendors which didn't appear to have it.

Completed Projects:
Tamiya BB-63 USS Missouri 1:700
Trumpeter DDG-51 USS Arleigh Burke 1:350
Trumpeter DD-537 The Sullivans DD537 1:350

Current Project:
Trumpeter CA-38 USS San Francisco Heavy Cruiser 1942 1:350

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:28 am 

Below are some picutres I took on baord USS Bunker Hill. Note the patterns on superstruecture. According to ship's crews those are radar absorbing materials. Now we will have to learn how to do panel lines on Tico models :-(.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:25 pm 

Are the Dragon kits the only 1/350 Ticonderoga kits available?
Walt Haynes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:59 pm 

Essentially. Italeri released a 1/350th Gettysburg but it was a reboxed Dragon kit.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:07 pm 
Thanks, Tracy. Walt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:14 am 

As God as my witness I thought the Vicksburg could fly. :censored_2:

Last night I went down to work on the Vicksburg, and had about an hour into her when the phone rang. I got up to answer it, and so did the dog. She wagged her tail, and somehow the ship ended up on the floor. :censored_2:

I had just put the life rafts on her, and was getting ready for the Captains Gig, so I didn't have to much of the fine detail on yet. She ended up in about five parts. Most of it came apart at good spots, but the main structure came apart from the hull (where all the work went into making those seams as invisible.)

I was able to get the large sections back on OK, but now I'm going to have major work on the seams. I'm just happy that the spot putty fractured, and none of it chipped off. I think I can fill most of the seams by putting thin super glue in and quickly sanding in some of the paint. The main bridge is the worst I am going to have to work on it in place, as I am afraid of trying to take off the lower section and doing more damage than good.

I'm just glad it happened at this point, and not when I had all the masts up.
Moral of the story, don't leave the ship (or anything) within tail range.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:11 am 

How make Mk 141 Harpoon launch loading?
Can do it at sea?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:25 am 

Garry71 wrote:
How make Mk 141 Harpoon launch loading?
Can do it at sea?

What? Do you mean, can we load Harpoons at sea? The answer is no.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:51 am 

navydavesof wrote:
Why?
Only in bases?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:04 am 

Devin wrote:
Ticonderoga: early fit, MK 26 dual-arm missile launchers.

Bunker Hill: Early VLS launcher version

Mobile Bay: later VLS launcher version that includes satellite and radar domes now in use.

I think Revell used to have a Ticonderoga offering, but I haven't seen it in years.

In 1/350th scale the Dragon kits seem to be it. There are some Chinese knock-off versions of these kits that you can get for a lower price, but the casting quality is sub-par.

-Devin

I have four questions;
a) !s there somewhere that sells after market decals so other members of the class could be done and
b) based on the list above which boxings will be able to produce which members of the class with little trouble?
c) a list of reference books? The only one I can think of is the Classic Warships Pictorial and lastly,
d) a list of after market bits that applies to these kits? Decals, PE, barrels, resin and the like.

"This is how Admiral Okita fights."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 am 

I was looking at pictures of USS Port Royal on Navsource the other day and saw that she was painted with a bright blue paint below the waterline.

Does anyone know when the Navy changed from the old standard red to this bright blue color. Is this standard now on all surface combatants or is it unique to the class. Or maybe is it theater based being in the Pacific?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:55 pm 

It was an experimental coating for Port Royal only - as far as I know, all other USN units still use the traditional red. The RCN have been using the blue for a long time, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:34 pm 

Seadragon021 wrote:
I was looking at pictures of USS Port Royal on Navsource the other day and saw that she was painted with a bright blue paint below the waterline.

Is this standard now on all surface combatants or is it unique to the class.
I saw it a lot when I was in Portsmouth, Virginia. Only CGs were getting blue antifouling paint. All of the other ones from LHDs to FFGs were getting red. LCS-2 had black. None of the ships here in Japan are getting the blue stuff; it's all red. I think the blue was simply a test. If the Navy has selected it over the red, it has not gotten out to the rest of the fleet yet.

Garry71 wrote:
navydavesof wrote:
Why?
Only in bases?
Yes, sir, you are correct. Ships do not have the crane equipment necessary to lift Harpoons out of their containers and load them on the racks. It's a pretty delicate operation in calm water. Even with a crane trying to do it underway would be quite impossible. It has to be done in port.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next