The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:21 pm 

Bill,

This is just a wonderful build! I'm following along and enjoying it immensely. Thanks!

You mention contact cement. What, specifically, do you mean by that? Is this a two part cement, like epoxy, or something different? Is there a brand(s) you use that you've found works well for you? Sorry to be dense, here. I suspect most people understand what you're referring to and I just want to be sure I understand, too.

Thanks,
Bob

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:28 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

carr wrote:
Bill,

This is just a wonderful build! I'm following along and enjoying it immensely. Thanks!

You mention contact cement. What, specifically, do you mean by that? Is this a two part cement, like epoxy, or something different? Is there a brand(s) you use that you've found works well for you? Sorry to be dense, here. I suspect most people understand what you're referring to and I just want to be sure I understand, too.

Thanks,
Bob

Hello Bob, Well, contact cement used to be called rubber cement. It sticks to itself, very well. You apply it to both mating surfaces and let it dry till it's tacky, and does not stick to your finger. You then place the two parts together, making sure the alignment is accurate. Once their stuck, you cannot pull them apart. Weldwood makes a good brand, sold at Home Depot in the paint dept. I use it for all kinds of things, but mainly to join wood to wood and styrene to wood. HTH...... :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:30 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

ARH wrote:
Hi Bill, Your getting quicker by the day, I will have to come and tie thoughs little Grasshopper hands together, :heh: :heh: keep up the good work, its looking awsome. :wave_1:

Thank you, Admiral. Glad to have you back......hope you are doing well and look forward to your new project.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:31 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Richard J OMalley wrote:
Bill :wave_1:
I see you have been busy. :dead: Good step by step how to . :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks for the post Richard....yes, we are busy........ :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:47 pm 

Bill,

Your work is so impressive. Not only do you plan and execute the work brilliantly, but you also, obviously, plan the instructions and photo shoot to go with it.... Simply amazing :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

BTW, how do you know that there is a lego part that looks like a vent AND it is the right size :good_one: :good_one:

Andrew
:wave_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 am 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Ticonderoga wrote:
Bill,

Your work is so impressive. Not only do you plan and execute the work brilliantly, but you also, obviously, plan the instructions and photo shoot to go with it.... Simply amazing :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

BTW, how do you know that there is a lego part that looks like a vent AND it is the right size :good_one: :good_one:

Andrew
:wave_1: :wave_1:

Hello Andrew..... :wave_1: Thanks for the kind words.... Actually, I was working along and thought,"well, may as well take some shots as I go along", which I did. It takes alot of time to do this so thats why posts such as yours, and others, are important, at least to me. I really did not plan this, it just came out that way! As far as the Lego part, just happened to be there. Scratchbuilding has turned me into a scavenger...I am constatly looking for things to use, that are cheap or free :big_grin: You would be surprised what you can use if you are looking..... :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:08 am 

hi bill,you are a man after my own heart,i to spend hours looking for things that match or are close to a part or project i am working on.sometime a little bit of adjusting saves a lot of work.every thing sure looks good :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:05 am 

Hi Bill You have taken your explanation on the construction of a model to a different level. I very much enjoy how you have made the step by step approach with precise illustrations and of course show the assembly in position so the entire exercise is clear and unambiguous. Bill I take my hat off to you, Like ARH you have a natural inclination for delivering not only on a technical level but on a level that is easy to understand. Thank you Bill for taking the time to do such a detailed presentation considering the tight scheduling of the build believe me it is appreciated .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:06 am 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Dave Wooley wrote:
Hi Bill You have taken your explanation on the construction of a model to a different level. I very much enjoy how you have made the step by step approach with precise illustrations and of course show the assembly in position so the entire exercise is clear and unambiguous. Bill I take my hat off to you, Like ARH you have a natural inclination for delivering not only on a technical level but on a level that is easy to understand. Thank you Bill for taking the time to do such a detailed presentation considering the tight scheduling of the build believe me it is appreciated .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1:

Thanks, Dave. I am following your lead.......I enjoy very much your methods also, especially all those scratchbuilt fittings. Glad you enjoyed this! :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 am 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

russclark wrote:
hi bill,you are a man after my own heart,i to spend hours looking for things that match or are close to a part or project i am working on.sometime a little bit of adjusting saves a lot of work.every thing sure looks good :thumbs_up_1:

Thanks for the post, Russ. Like I said, you never know what you can find that turns out to be useful......... :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:35 pm 

Brilliant work, Bill. I didn't see this until today. Glad to see you're documenting it so thoroughly. I agree with you about the tedious nature of documentation; there have been many times I've wanted to work on a project, but didn't feel like dealing with the camera just then, so I just watched television or did something else.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:33 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Hello Again all :wave_1: Thought I would post some overall shots of the work done on the sides of the carrier. The DE is now underway and I have begun the superstucture work, using all styrene for construction. Lets take a look.......
Attachment:
File comment: Heres the aft sponson on stb side. A small winch needs to be added here yet.
DSC04243.JPG
DSC04243.JPG [ 164.21 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Midships and fwd. sponson from stb. side again. Another winch will be added on the fwd. sponson, as well as paravanes and 26' lifeboats, port and stb.
DSC04244.JPG
DSC04244.JPG [ 177.53 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Overall view from stb. Note I have placed the flightdeck in its approx. position. Aft elevator will be in its down position eventually.
DSC04245.JPG
DSC04245.JPG [ 113.05 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Good view of portside.
DSC04246.JPG
DSC04246.JPG [ 135.22 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Midships and aft sponson from port.
DSC04247.JPG
DSC04247.JPG [ 154.55 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Overall view from portside. Note the DE hull in the backround.
DSC04248.JPG
DSC04248.JPG [ 127.61 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Superstructure work has now begun on the DE. This is all styrene in various thickness. It appears simple enough, but the up sweep of the hull and deck present some challenges. I am up to bridge level here, with bridge top to be added next.
DSC04249.JPG
DSC04249.JPG [ 132.82 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here are the forward 3" .50 cal gun tubs from port. I fabricated the r/s lockers from balsa block and then wrapped with styrene. Note the perforated decking here. Got this in sheets from a craft store, and it is actually used for needlepoint. Works well here as well as areas on the Carrier.
DSC04250.JPG
DSC04250.JPG [ 82.58 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here we have the funnel. There are three main pieces here. The base, the main stack, and the cap. All are shaped balsa block wrapped with .010 styrene sheet. Other details are then added.
DSC04251.JPG
DSC04251.JPG [ 86.64 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Overall view from stb. looking aft. Several more gun tubs to be added yet, as well as numerous small details, but you get the idea.
DSC04252.JPG
DSC04252.JPG [ 115.01 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Another stb. view looking slightly forward. Note I have marked out locations for other parts, using the plans as a guide.
DSC04253.JPG
DSC04253.JPG [ 110.31 KiB | Viewed 4007 times ]

Well, a short update this time. I will continue with the DE for now before going back to the CVE. Jumping back and forth keeps one real busy. Hope I don't put planes on the DE!!! :scratch: Stay tuned.....more to come,,,I continue on....

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 pm 

Looking good Bill, :woo_hoo: :woo_hoo: all go this building lark, :heh: :heh:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:50 pm 

hello bill ,so the d.e is all styrene not balsa backed?.how do you find working with just styrene.i imagine one needs lots of bracing to keep things plum and square. dollar stores and craft stores are great places to find many things that work for modeling.nice and neat as always :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:11 pm 

Bill ,you are traveling at the speed of light . :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:35 pm 

Wow Bill you do not waste any time , Question as this is build is governed to some extent by a time scale will you be able to incorporate all the work that you would like to see on these two models. I am having to pull the stops out so to speak and turn a around a model in under 8 months which for me is operating in hyper space . So far so good but I will be looking forward to get back to my own build. Crack on Bill my friend I know it will be all worth the effort in the end .
Dave Wooley :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :wave_1

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:01 pm 

i learn a lot from you. :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:38 pm 

Great stuff Bill. Carry on !!!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:12 pm 
Waldorf Productions
Waldorf Productions

Hello again all :wave_1: Been off line for awhile with the flu....nasty bug. But, I am feeling a bit better. Caught the bug while attending the presentation of the USCG 83' cutter I built for my Master Chief client. It was in Herndon, Va. A stones throw from Washington, D.C. Disaster struck there....see my post in completed builds section. In any event I am back and work continues on the Chicago Project. I am still concentrating on the DE for now, getting all the superstructure and gun tubs fabricated and installed, along with the masts and other parts, before getting back to the CVE. Lets take a look at the recent progress............
Attachment:
File comment: Heres an overall view of the progress on the DE. Note the nav. bridge nearly completed, as well as the mainmast. Aft mast in progress. I have also started to add deck hardware such as cleats, chocks, bitts, etc.
DSC04254.JPG
DSC04254.JPG [ 140.89 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Another view here, looking fwd. Note the mushroom vents and refueling hoses behind the mainmast. I have also fabricated and installed the flagbags. A few more detail parts yet to be added to the bridge.
DSC04255.JPG
DSC04255.JPG [ 125.41 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Close up of the nav. bridge. Sky lookouts and range finder, plus a few other details yet to be installed here. Lots of components in a small area.
DSC04258.JPG
DSC04258.JPG [ 131.19 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Vegtable storage cooler here. Note the condenser tubes and fans on the roof. Louvers are doctored up lego parts. Note the garbage cans just to the right.
DSC04259.JPG
DSC04259.JPG [ 127.18 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Aft. 40MM tub here and its director foundation just to the left. Small handwheel is the escape scuttle. Note ammo boxes inside the tub.
DSC04260.JPG
DSC04260.JPG [ 158.24 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Portside midships here showing the 20MM locations and the triple torpedo tubes. Tubes are cast resin and will be detailed out further. Support struts will be added to the aft mast here also.
DSC04256.JPG
DSC04256.JPG [ 139.57 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Another view here of the midships 20MM location. The forward tubs are raised above the aft ones and have a perforated floor. Note the support structure.
DSC04257.JPG
DSC04257.JPG [ 136.61 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Overall view from Stb. side here. Lots to do yet!
DSC04261.JPG
DSC04261.JPG [ 119.43 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Here is an approximate view of how things will eventually look. The base is 42" x 75" and will become an ocean eventually. Location of the ships is still up in the air, I may reverse this view. A couple more shots below.......
DSC04266.JPG
DSC04266.JPG [ 113.7 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
DSC04267.JPG
DSC04267.JPG [ 124.24 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]
Attachment:
DSC04268.JPG
DSC04268.JPG [ 121.29 KiB | Viewed 3832 times ]

Things are moving along at a somewhat slower pace till I feel better. :heh: Anyway, I'm still breathin' :smallsmile: Stay tuned.......More to come......I continue on................... :wave_1:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:30 pm 

Looks great Bill .I like the way you convert everyday items into ship parts .You must have a huge spare parts box . :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next