The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:04 pm 

I have the new NY#17 and I like the look of the wartime Amagi. In profile, it's a cross between the Nagatos and the Kongos.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:52 am 

I assume by late 1943 early 1944 most of the secondary 14 cm guns will be gone, or retain them till the end of the war ?

Edit:Can someone post a clear picture from the NY#17 of the aft superstructure ? I used for my conversion, IJN Fuso class aft superstructure, cause I assume the higher positioned 12,7 cm AA guns will be safe from the blast of number 3 turret.
Thanks in advance !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:59 am 

Atma wrote:
I assume by late 1943 early 1944 most of the secondary 14 cm guns will be gone, or retain them till the end of the war ?

Edit:Can someone post a clear picture from the NY#17 of the aft superstructure ? I used for my conversion, IJN Fuso class aft superstructure, cause I assume the higher positioned 12,7 cm AA guns will be safe from the blast of number 3 turret.
Thanks in advance !

Nagato and fuso retained most of their secondary guns till late 1944. Ise lost hers as part of weight balance to account for removal of aft turrets. The issue seems to be weight and trim. Amagi might have enough stability after bulging to keep them like the Nagato.

I think the AA arrangement on Ise and Hyuga more likely represents what would be suitable for Amagi.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:21 pm 

Im still confused about what type of AA IJN Amagi(and IJN Tosa) class had, 8 cm or the 12 cm single AA ?
IJN Nagato class was build original with 12 or 8 cm ones single AA guns ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:48 pm 

Atma wrote:
Soon a 1/700 IJN Tosa is due to be announced after the release of 1/700 IJN Amagi by the usual suspect, Fujimi.Definitely a summer release.

Any update on this? I scanned this thread and didn't see any further announcements.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:32 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Atma wrote:
Soon a 1/700 IJN Tosa is due to be announced after the release of 1/700 IJN Amagi by the usual suspect, Fujimi.Definitely a summer release.

Any update on this? I scanned this thread and didn't see any further announcements.

Wondering the exact same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:22 pm 

IJN Tosa aparently have been pushed back cause of upcoming Pearl Harbor date releases.

Anyway, USS Nevada class is still in consideration.... :woo_hoo:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:16 pm 

Hi all,

I have purchased 3 of the Amagi's! My intent was to do one as she would have appeared during the heyday of the Combined Fleet and one during the war. The third is for spares for re-working the first 2 and should she become unavailable.
What I found striking about the model is that they were faithful to the DRAWINGS and like the previous post pointed out, the actual appearance of a ship can and usually does vary. I found the discrepency in the HEIGHT of the funnels between the drawings and, of all things, the BOX ART, interesting. The box art follows what I would think she would have looked like...ie: same pattern as the Nagato, Ise, and Fuso class ships (during that time period). Why go with the considerably shortened aft funnel on the model???

Also, at first, I thought along the same lines as our Japanese model builder and others on this post regarding the late-war appearance; single funnel, Mutsu/Nagato single funnel and Pagoda mast...I even picked up a spare Fujimi Mutsu for the conversion. Even my 14 year old son gave me this rough sketch...
( hmm, can't do it...have it as a jpeg and pdf; any tips?)
But then something said ...wait.
As originally designed, she had 19 mixed firing boilers; 11 oil, 8 coal. After modernization, Akagi still had 19, all oil fired (as a carrier).
The other classes of Capital ships were as follows (before and after modernization);
Nagato; 15/6 - 10
Ise; 24 - 8
Fuso; 24 - 6
Kongo; 36 - 11 (8 Haruna)
If these replacements were larger boilers, more efficient power plants resulting in higher horsepower, wouldn't it follow the Amagi class would retain both stacks? Considering her size, it could be argued her powerplant would be larger (in ratio) for her size than the Nagato. The other "fast battleships" (which she would have surely would have been classified), the Kongo's, retained 2 of the original 3.
Thoughts, comments?
Wonder what she'd look like then!?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:53 am 

Hello Willsdad96 :wave_1:
First, you can upload the picture at the Tinypic site, as jpeg form of course.
Here is the link:http://tinypic.com/
Second the Fujimi's IJN Amagi is as build config, and I think(if we keep in mind what midifications IJN Nagato had) if actually the ship was commissioned, I belive that there would not be rangefinders at number 1# and number 5# turrets(this of course is totally speculative and doubtful) and of course by mid 1920's or early 1930's like in the IJN Nagato class, the funnel will become a single one(Still totally speculative, it might had still 2 cause of her high number of boilers like the IJN Kongo class, but again if she had kept her two funnels I guess some work arround them will happened to protect the pagaoda from the funnel's smoke)and some armor will be added on the main turrets(compare early pictures of IJN Nagato and IJN Mutsu's turrets with those taken early 1930's and beyond).
Also the turrets of all Japanese battleships had increased elevation by early 1930's so that means the eyebrows of IJN Amagi shall be modeled correctly(larger plus bigger rangefinders - like IJN Nagato from the 1930's one) for a 1930's-WWII build.

My Second IJN Amagi is a IJN Nagato style, I "cannibalize" Fujimi's IJN Nagato turrets(I used one more for the extra number 5#) plus I used the pagoda and funnel. For the aft superstructure I used IJN Fuso's one, cause she had her 12,7 AA guns mounted high so this way they will be protected from IJN Amagi's number 3# turret. Of course all this is totally free build and not based on an official drawing :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:55 am 

And finnaly the special version of IJN Amagi in 1/700 by Fujimi with brass barrels is out, notice the new artwork. Link:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10155425

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:56 pm 

Atma wrote:
And finnaly the special version of IJN Amagi in 1/700 by Fujimi with brass barrels is out, notice the new artwork. Link:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10155425

Posted this in a standalone thread on the Main Forum, but thought it would be of interest here as well...

Package from Japan arrived today and unexpectedly included the upgraded Amagi DX kit with metal barrels, the dedicated PE set, and the wooden deck (with a small fret of PE itself).

I am an absolute newbie when it comes to PE - just beginning to use it on my builds, but acquiring it for many planned builds going forward. In that context, I'm very impressed with this fret - it will provide both significant and subtle upgrades the width and breadth of the model.

Fret is ~ 3 x 8 inches in size. Included are:

All railings, etched to size for each placement, for the main decks, as well as walkways on both masts. Replacement railing for a short section of railing cast in plastic at the stern. Railing and ladders for the main turret tops. Numerous stairways. As the decks of this ship are fairly spartan, these additions will be very noticeable.

Funnel caps and bracing replace plastic parts - althought these are nicely molded in plastic, this will be a noticeable upgrade. PE adds wraparound walkways for the funnels.

Replacement fly-off deck, extended in length and greater detail in PE vs plastic. Turret and barrel bracing for the flyoff deck - a significant upgrade over the plastic parts, which are quite simplistic in comparison. Just a lovely step up in detail.

Numerous details for each mast and respective spars, including support bracing underneath.

Pulleys and hooks for the crane on the rear mast. Significant enhancement to the plastic part - will add some beautiful and purposeful detail to this section of the ship.

Two range clocks for the rear mast - directions say to mount both. Only one plastic clock included in the kit.

Boarding accomodations - don't recall that the plastic model included these at all.

Replacement parts for various minor deck structures; the largest piece mounts is decking surrounding the forward funnel.

Replacement windows which will require carving out the solid plastic molding that suffices for molding in the kit.

Davits for ships boats mid-ships. Propellers for the biplanes (but no wing bracing). Oars for all ships boats.

All told, an impressive dedicated fret of PE for this kit. There are significant parts here that you will not find on a generic fret for the time-period.

The wood deck upgrade includes PE for metal decking under the anchor chains, as well as bracing for each of the ships boats. It is unfortunate these braces were not included in the larger PE set above - about the only detail the main PE set overlooks.

The DX version of Fujimi's Amagi kit includes metal barrels for the main guns. Barrels depict the subtle flare at the barrel end, more refined than the plastic barrels (which are impressive in their own right).

Time to finish my first Amagi so I can build the enhanced second version. And prove that I can actually finish a build that I've been sharing/discussing on the board!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:45 am 

Bet you can't :cool_2:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 pm 

Atma wrote:
IJN Tosa aparently have been pushed back cause of upcoming Pearl Harbor date releases.

Anyway, USS Nevada class is still in consideration.... :woo_hoo:

I came to this thread wondering what happened to the Tosa. Thanks for letting us know!

Also happy about the possible Nevada. If they do make it any idea if it would be pre-Pearl Harbor trim or post '42? I like how she looked post '42.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:52 am 

1941, Pearl Harbor attack time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:43 am 

The 406 mm L/45 main gun of IJN Nagato and possible for IJN Tosa class, was also intended for the IJN Amagi class but an L/50 gun tested in 1920 might have been implemented instead.
Is that correct ? Why this gun wasnt replaced later the L/45 of IJN Nagato class main guns ?
Also is was possible that IJN Tosa class will be equipped with the L/50 gun instead of L/45 main gun ?
Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:40 pm 

Atma wrote:
Also is was possible that IJN Tosa class will be equipped with the L/50 gun instead of L/45 main gun ?
Thanks in advance.

Probably not. L/50 guns would require larger rotating structure and fatter barbette than L/45 guns. So the guns and turrets would not be interchangible. We know Nagato received guns originally meant for the Tosa during her modernization. This means Tosa's guns must have been 45 caliber weapons as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:00 am 

Chuck, the AA guns in the IJN Amagi, is the 12 cm guns used on early IJN cruisers ?
Link:http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_47-45_10ns.htm

While the 14 cm secondary armament, was that particular gun ?
Link:http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_55-50_3ns.htm

Thanks in advance :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:59 am 

[quote="Atma"]Chuck, the AA guns in the IJN Amagi, is the 12 cm guns used on early IJN cruisers ?
Link:http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_47-45_10ns.htm

Anyone know of a accessory part kit that includes these weapons? The Fujimi Amagi kit includes these, assembled from two parts. As I lost the smaller part for one assembly, would love to know of a replacement option if there is an accessory kit. I've asked Dragon USA, Fujimi's importer into the US about a replacement spru, but have not heard back...

D-Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:10 am 

Oh yes.
Link:http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10145602
Use the 12 cm AA without the shield, and here you go !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:24 am 

Oh and Fujimi can replace you any part, as long as you live in Japan, same with Fine Molds and Tamiya. :cool_1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 270 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next