The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The CAD-yard
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:54 pm 

tea monster wrote:
I'm very interested to see how the turret comes out.

Owen

Me too. :smallsmile:

As I was deconstructing the lower half of the Chickasaw, I figured I'd take some screen shots of the work-flow I used to get it framed up and give a quick overview.

I started with just the lower hull solid body, minus the keel, rudders etc.

Next I offset a few surfaces from the bottom and the flat sides, and thickened them into solid bodies .03in thick. These represent the styrene sheeting/covering.

Those thickened surfaces are used to Indent the main hull body, leaving it recessed where the sheeting will go.

Then add a series of Planes along the length of the body where the frame sections will go. Insert a sketch on each Plane, and using Intersect Curves between the Plane and solid body to get the outline.

Extruded the sketches to get the frames.

For the frame notches and the 3 longeron frames, I'll show two methods, like anything else in CAD, there's usually more than one way to do something, but I'll just use the two here.
This way I made a sketch with Intersect Curves like earlier, and converted the frame edges to get the notch locations, added a line for notch depth, a few taps for aligning the sheeting, then trimmed everything up.
Then used Cut-Extrude to get the frame and sheeting notches.

Re-use the sketch to Extrude the longeron frame, then Mirrored the notches and frame for the other side.

For another option with the notches and longerons, I used two separate sketches, one for the notches and one for the center longeron.
First I Cut-Extrude the center notches with the one sketch.

Then using Intersect Curves again to get the center longeron sketch without adding the frame edges for the notches, Extrude that to get the notch-less longeron.

To get the notches on the center longeron, I Indented the notched frames into the longeron, then Indented the longeron into the sheeting.

And the basic frame and partial sheeting, minus some top/bottom half locating notches,etc.

Devin,

I was thinking of sheeting most of the top too, like the bottom if that's OK with you, it would be less filling and sanding, your call buddy.

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:59 am 

Dean,

Looks great. And, yes, I think the sheeting of the top of the bottom (does that make sense???) is a good idea.

-Devin

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:19 am 

Thanks Devin,

So here's a pic of what I have so far, still needing a few parts and adjustments...
Those 3 center tabs sticking out of the hull half are for aligning the two halves. Also, what do you think of making the top deck covering one piece, do you think bending the styrene over the radius will be a issue?

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:35 pm 

Dean,

Looks fantastic!

The deck covering in one piece would work, as the styrene is thin enough to work with. My only question is if that was a rounded curve or a sharp demarcation on the real ship. Either way, one piece would work; if it turns out to be a sharp angle, then I can either cut the sheet into the three pieces, or I can try some scoring and bending tricks.

What was the verdict on the ship's screws? I can't recall.

I notice how you have the two different turret tops/decking to indicate the two different types of turret machinery. Nice. There was one of the class that had the Ericcson turrets in both locations, and I can't recall which, but the other 3 were as you have it depicted.

-Devin

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:58 pm 

Thanks Devin,

Yeah, there's a radius where the deck transitions, so bending the styrene shouldn't be too much hassle, If not, applying a little heat should do the trick.

For the screws, I'll give you some drawings on them too, that's one of the missing parts that need added I mentioned, and according to the basic drawing I have, there are 4 of them.

I remember us discussing the different turrets before, that it may have been the Chickasaw that was changed, but I didn't find anything that says for sure or when, so that's why I left it as is. I guess that leaves it up to you on which way to go. :smallsmile:

Well I'm glad you like it so far, now for me to get my arse moving and finish it.

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:08 pm 

Just a quick update on the Chickasaw project, I sent out a test part to Shapeways to have printed, but I ended up going with their black detail material, not the ultra detail. The reason being, it's a little rougher finish that I think will give the turrets a more iron like surface when painted. I exported the STL file straight from SolidWorks with no tweaking afterwards, and when uploaded, passed their surface checks no problem. Which I kinda figured, because when I did my first and only printed part almost 3 years ago, we did it the same way, and it worked just fine then too.
I've sent Devin drawings with the exception of a few smaller parts and the final assembly, which I'm working on along with the cut-files.
If anyone is interested, I can post a few pics on how I made and prepped those cut-files.

I've also been playing with Meshlab a bit, and found a cool little feature that may come in handy, it's a chipping filter that basically does what it says, adds chips and dings on either the whole model or just the selected surfaces, which can give the appearance of battle damage. It's really easy to use, and with some tweaking of the settings, should give some nice looking damage. I can definitely see using this in the future.

Here's an example using that chipping filter with minimal tweaking.

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:10 am 

That would look good if it were scaled down a lot. It has a very 'squared' effect that would benefit from rounding out a bit due to the nature of the impacts you are trying to reproduce.

Is there any function in Solid Works that would allow you to apply a bump map as a displacement map and then make that displacement into 'real' geometry?

Failing that, you could always sculpt a few craters here and there. If you used an alpha mask you could get the iron texture as well. Sculptris is free and Blender will do some of that as well.

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:15 am 

Owen,

For the chipping, yeah some chips/dings look OK while others are just way too sharp, not much was changed from the default settings, and they were set kinda high to start with for a small part like this. I guess I need some more playtime.

Quote:
Is there any function in Solid Works that would allow you to apply a bump map as a displacement map and then make that displacement into 'real' geometry?

Unfortunately not, would be nice though... although it can be done, just more labor intensive than adjusting a few numbers and hitting "Apply". :heh:

Cheers,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:32 am 

This is the reason I'm asking.

Attachment:
turrettestsculpt1.jpg
turrettestsculpt1.jpg [ 15.75 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]

I took my turret (with rivets) and imported it into Z-Brush. I've used a standard alpha mask to get the 'iron' pattern, so that looks a bit like leather, but this is only a test. I could create my own alpha pattern to properly mimic the 'iron' texture.

I used a few different brushes and hammered in some dents according to this picture:

Attachment:
03520r.jpg
03520r.jpg [ 38.82 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]

I think it looks OK, but I'm not sure if the detail is too much for the fab process at this scale.

The other big problem is why I asked about bump maps. This Obj is a whopping 350Mb to retain all that detail at a mesh level. If there is some way of 'applying' bump maps then I could just send you some jpegs and you could map them where you want them!

If you want to take a look at the obj, PM me and I'll upload it somewhere and send you a link. Bear in mind that this mesh has NOT been optimized for fabrication!!! :big_grin:

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:51 am 

Owen,

I think yours looks really good, much better than that one I did. But did I read that right, 350 megs for just one part? Wow, definitely too big to have printed, their limit is 64 megs per part, with minimal detail size of .1mm for the ultra detail material. That's what I ended up using instead of the regular detail stuff, so we'll see how it turns out in a week or so.

I sort of found a round-a-bout way to use bump maps in SW along with another texture, but it's a real pain to get them lined up, if at all, kind of hit or miss at this point, but I'm still working on it.

And yeah, I would definitely like to check out that obj file and those bumps too (thanks for the offer). Oh, a little OT, but did you see that the ocean generator is being included in the trunk of Blender, now that looks really cool, I definitely will be checking that out.

Cheers,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:02 pm 

I had some help from my Son, who is a Z-Brush expert and he's managed to turn off a load of stuff and get the file size down to 86Mb. I got rid of the rivets, which don't need to be a gazzillion polys each anyway. It should be possible to boolean them together again afterwards. That still isn't within the 64 meg but it's a lot closer. He says it should be possible to get it within the range.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:43 pm 

Just to give you an idea of how much that SW turret file increased in size when I converted it into STL format for printing, it went from under 5 megs to over 11.5 megs, that's with rivets, but without the top decking. The part is only 1.4in. in diameter and .6in. tall, not a big part, but a big increase in file size.

Here's what I sent:

I'm really thinking of doing one with damage, just for the fun of it, I'll post a pic before I do to get some crits.

Cheers,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:51 am 

That turret is looking good. I really am looking forward to how all this turns out. :cool_1:

Working on naval matters again after taking a week off for another project. I'm making a Parrott Rifle on a pivot. This is going onto my Teaser model first, then it will probably wind it's way to the Tennessee.

Attachment:
parrottrifle.jpg
parrottrifle.jpg [ 146.22 KiB | Viewed 980 times ]

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 pm 

That Parrott rifle looks great, and I'm sure when your done with it, it'll look fantastic. nice job...

I have to admit, I've been slacking a bit on all this and I'm looking forward to handing everything off to Devin and seeing him work some magic on his build. Once I get the turret back and checked out, I'll send the turret decking and props to get printed too, then those will all be sent to Devin along with the laser cut parts, which I'm working on now.
Since Devin will be doing all the detailing himself, I sent him some simple drawings to use as a reference on a few of the little things, like the outhouse, etc., nothing too detailed, but enough to use for templates.

Here's a sample:

Once I get done with this, it's onto finishing up the rest of my projects, woohoo...

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:25 pm 

looks great Roscoe yes i do love my solidworks thats for sure, but man trying to get my hull done has been giving me fits for a year now as I am ju8st learning to mess with ship stuff and have a few more lines to add before I can start skinning it. I am using the bath shipyard drawings and inputting all the table of offsets into excell then into solidworks and thats a ton of numbers so takes some time

Joe

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:17 pm 

Thanks Joe,

You should post some pics of your progress, I'd like to see what you got going.

Quote:
I am using the bath shipyard drawings and inputting all the table of offsets into excell then into solidworks

that does sound like a lot of work, but then I'm not really a excell guy, so it would take me forever. :smallsmile:

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:25 pm 

Here's a little update on the Chickasaw model.
I got the turret test part back from Shapeways and I was pleasantly surprised with how it came out, all the .01" diameter rivets look good, so the rest of the parts are in the process of being printed and Devin should get those around the 9th of January.
We also had the frame laser-cut and that's on it's way too. I ended up talking Devin into going with birch-ply on this, so if it doesn't turn out great, he can blame it on me. :smallsmile:
We tried some test cuts with the styrene, but it was melting it a little too much for this size material, so that's when I suggested the lite-ply, besides, Ironclads were made of wood underneath the iron, right.? :big_grin:
Anyways, these pics of the turret were taken with my cell, which doesn't do close-ups real well, as you can see. I also took a sharpie marker to it for a quick paint job, but again, hard to see in these blurry pics.

And the laser-cut sheets.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:13 pm 

Dean, this looks great. It is interesting to see that the detail holds up so well at this small scale. Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:42 pm 

As I've told Dean, I took delivery of the final product this past week. Just got back into town from a couple of days in Philly for New Years, so I hope to get some photos and impressions of the parts this coming week.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:41 pm 

Thanks Michael,
Yeah, some of the smaller parts were pushing it a bit, but from what Devin has told me, it sounds like the laser cutter did a nice job. I just hope I didn't forget anything....:big_grin:

Devin,
looking forward to your review. :smallsmile:

And a happy New Year to everybody,
Dean

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next