The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The CAD-yard
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:21 pm 

Thanks Owen,

Was thinking the same thing, my only trouble is finding good river pics. I have a couple that I tried out, but they really didn't look the part, so I just used a cloudy background for those. But I'm still looking...

Cheers,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:27 pm 

One good trick is to set the background to some kind of light emission. That makes it 'pop' from a plain background. If you are lucky, you can get a bit of fill light from the backdrop if you set it up correctly.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:22 pm 

Roscoe wrote:
For a fun little experiment, I wanted to try out some nighttime renders, so I made up a period lantern, put a few on the Chickasaw, and did a render. Adding the 10 lanterns and their light really increased the render time, A LOT, but that was to be expected. I still need to tweak the lighting and scene some to get it to look better.

Holy Freaking Hell...that is awesome

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:31 pm 

Owen,
that's a great tip about using the background as a light source too, I've been using an ambient light to brighten up the scene, but using the background and pic sounds like a better way to go, thanks.

Martin,
thanks for the nice comments. :smallsmile: wait til you see what Owen (tea monster) has planned for his Tecumseh, it should be fantastic....

Take care guys,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:09 pm 

I thought I'd keep this thread going a bit. Here is my Parrot Rifle I've been working on. This is a test render (thus the 'fireflies'), but shows what Cycles can do now if you thrash it a bit. The only lighting is the HDR image you see in the background. Materials are still 'WIP'.
Attachment:
renderresult.jpg
renderresult.jpg [ 94.97 KiB | Viewed 1092 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:49 pm 

Owen,

NICE, that looks sweet. So is that a back woods sobriety check point?! :smallsmile:

Thanks for keeping things alive around here. :thumbs_up_1:

I've been trying to wrap my head around Blender lately, and like anything else, it takes time to get used too. It's been slow going, but by watching videos and just playing around, it's starting to make some sense, although I know I'm only scratching the surface and have a long way to go.

I was wondering, do you have a favorite way you like to do doors or windows on your models? And do you add them early on when modeling or later?

Anyway, here's what I've been playing with, the USS Commodore Perry. It's still an early WIP, and there's not too many pictures I've found to go by.

Cheers,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:33 pm 

No, that's how they guard the still :D

"Is you bein' one o dem revenuers?"
:flamed:

It depends on what sort of stuff it is. If it's a standard 'window' window as appeared on the side of the teaser, I'll have a box floating slightly above the surface of the wall. the glass sits slightly proud of the wall so that it dosen't intersect it, but on the other hand, nobody is going to go in there with a tape measure and find out :D (see what I mean about the 'seat of the pants' thing?)

If it requires an actual hole, like a gunport or those deck vents - I'll usually build a shape that I want the window to be. Sometimes I'll shrinkwrap it to the surface if its curved. If not, I'll just place it by eyeball. Then I'll drop in a few control lines around the shape. If it's a complex shape, one good trick is to apply a subsurf modifier to the shape. If you actually apply the subsurf, you will have a much higher density mesh, but it should be easier to cut in vents and gunports. I'll delete the faces that cover the new shape on the old mesh, then join the two meshes. Once joined, you can then go in and create new geometry bridging the gaps (check out the 'bridge' tool). You have to be carefull about cutting in holes to complex meshes. You can bab up the smoothing if you put in strange edges or triangles.

I usually add them later. An exception is the Wheelhouse windows on the Teaser. I've actually put them through (might do an interior) and thus I've worked out how many faces to use in the curve of the wheelhouse so I can easily just delete alternate ones to get my windows.

It used to be that Booleans were kinda problematical in Blender, but the latest version (2.62 - out soon) has fixed some of this so just 'subtracting' the shape should be a more of a workable option.
Attachment:
windows.jpg
windows.jpg [ 48.13 KiB | Viewed 1071 times ]

The Perry is looking sweet! Looks like you are getting the hang of decks and so forth. Looking forward to more!

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:00 am 

Lol, wouldn't want to mess with those moonshiners. :big_grin:

I'm really liking the Teaser, it already looks great. Be sure to post some pics as you go along, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.
And thanks for the tips, I would probably have sat there for hours figuring that out. :smallsmile: I plan on upgrading to 2.62 when it comes out so I can check out those new features. From what I've seen, it sounds more like what I'm used too (Boolean wise), so that should help the learning curve.

Take care,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:58 pm 

Nice work, the both of you!

Dean, did I send you any ferry/gun boat photos? I have a bunch of them that I've been collecting. The identifications on a lot, probably most of them, are suspect, but I can email them.

-Devin

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:35 pm 

Devin,

I don't think you sent me any actual pics, but I've found a couple decent ones of the supposed Perry, but they differ when it comes to the pilothouse and a few other details. That leads me to believe that one may be the Perry and the other the Hunchback, not sure. If you do have any pics of either of those and can send them to me, I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Owen,

Is there a way to import one blend file into another? I've looked around and can't seem to find any info on that. Thanks.
EDIT: nevermind, I figured it out.

Take care,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:57 pm 

Don't forget the on-line Brady collection. I remember a few of that type of ship (might be the Perry) in there. Again, res goes up to 3K, so that would be good.

To add another Blend file to yours, go to File->Append then select the Blend file. From there you can select to append either meshes, materials or objects and even animations. (EDIT: Didn't see your edit till too late!)

Here is a colour render of the Teaser.
Attachment:
teasercyclespng.jpg
teasercyclespng.jpg [ 39.97 KiB | Viewed 1047 times ]

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:59 pm 

Oh yeah, the Brady collection. Doh, must have had a senior moment. :big_grin:

The Teaser looks great! So how many more ships do have going on that we don't know about? :smallsmile:

Cheers,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 pm 

It's funny you should mention that Dean.

There is the Tecumseh, which is sort of an on-going rendering project, even though the ship itself is 'finished'.
The Tennessee which is waiting for a lull in another project (which just concluded) to get main-lined.
There is the Teaser, which is going to be doing double duty when she's redressed as a tender for the Tecumseh project after being completed as the Teaser herself (with aforementioned Parrot rifle on the bow).

I read what you said and recalled how just the other day I was thinking to myself "You know, all the really difficult bits of an Onondaga are already there."

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:12 pm 

I can relate to having multiple projects going on, and trying to finish them before starting another. But it always seems like one comes along you just have to do, and everything else gets sidetracked, at least for me.
I looked at my project folder the other day and realized there were over 25 models at different stages of completion :eyes_spinning:, and maybe 10-12 of those are so-called finished, yikes! Add to that learning a new program (Blender), which means even more projects. Well, at least I won't be bored. :smallsmile:

tea monster wrote:
I read what you said and recalled how just the other day I was thinking to myself "You know, all the really difficult bits of an Onondaga are already there."

Owen

I say go for it! :thumbs_up_1:

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:35 am 

I've got exactly the same problem. I don't have the same number as yours. My current folder contains armoured cars, a boss from Duke Nukem 3D, and two monsters for Doom 3. I've got the Tecumseh scene to do, I'm about to start up the Tennessee and I've got the Teaser and it's armament to do.

Fortunately or not, I do tend to finish them. But in one case, I revisited a Doom Cacodemon model and completed it after what I thought was a while. I checked in for the first post of the thread and was horrified to find it was three years later. I couldn't even release it for Doom 3 as I had originally intended. During the 3 years I had learned so much from other projects that I couldn't face going back and fixing what was wrong with it. It would mean restarting from scratch.

So I tend to be carefull about what I start.

-------------------------------------------

Having said all that, do you know of any blueprints around the place?

See, I'm trying to be good. I've nearly finished the Teaser!
Attachment:
teasercycles3.jpg
teasercycles3.jpg [ 63.24 KiB | Viewed 1029 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:31 am 

Wow, sounds like you have some really cool projects, I wouldn't mind checking some of those out. Got a link or place to see them? I don't remember seeing some of those you mentioned on your web-page.

Well, I was being a little conservative on the number of projects of mine :wink_3.gif , most of them are airplanes that at one time or another I considered building. But those are mostly pretty basic models (not much detail) because when I would break down a model for laser cutting or such, I really only need the basic shapes to work with, and the details would be added after it was built.

Here's a screenshot of my project folder. There were more, but I lost a few when my PC died a few years back.(dummy me forgot to back them up at the time :doh_1: )

Quote:
Having said all that, do you know of any blueprints around the place?

Anything specific? The one site I use a lot for reference material is here. http://military-machine.blogspot.com/. There's a ton of PDF books to download which do have blueprints in them, just not that big in size.

Man, the Teaser just keeps looking better and better, you've done wonderful job on her, I can't wait to see your fleet come together. :smallsmile:

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:19 pm 

Looks like you've got quite a toychest there!
I'll send you some pics of the game models as I don't want to go OT on the thread. You've got a Jupiter II AND a Fireball XL5? Sweet!

Roscoe wrote:
Anything specific?

LOL, I was looking for some blueprints for this:

Attachment:
onondaga.jpg
onondaga.jpg [ 44.78 KiB | Viewed 1016 times ]

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:39 pm 

tea monster wrote:

I'll send you some pics of the game models as I don't want to go OT on the thread. You've got a Jupiter II AND a Fireball XL5? Sweet!
Owen

Cool, thanks. Feel free to go OT and post whatever pics you want, it's all good to me. :smallsmile:
Yeah, the Jupiter II is one of the models consider done :big_grin: , not the most complicated model, and the Fireball is still in-process, they were some of my favorite TV shows as a kid.

Here's the "Ship" Jupiter II. :smallsmile:

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:54 pm 

Hee hee, that is sweet!

I've got pics of a mini-shuttle I built.

Attachment:
shuttlerender5.jpg
shuttlerender5.jpg [ 14.65 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]

Owen.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:06 pm 

Ooh, I really like that!!!

Hmm, let's see what other ships you have. There's Land"ships" and Space"ships", right, that counts as a ship. :big_grin:

Here's a mostly finished Land"ship", the German A7V.

Dean

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next