The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:42 pm 

OK, going to move things over here where they belong. I have been trying to get all the PE and additional parts like aircraft and GSE ordered. I have started the hanger bay with a rough floor and door cutouts. Here are a few shots of where I am with the build.

Here are the previously posted pics of the island which I am finished working on for now. Need a break from it. I still have lots of details to add.
Island1 by gistsc, on Flickr

Island2 by gistsc, on Flickr

Island3 by gistsc, on Flickr

Island4 by gistsc, on Flickr

Some of the extra details have come in. I seem to have over ordered F-18's. I want the entire 76 aircraft of the airwing on the ship.

Airwing by gistsc, on Flickr

Hull by gistsc, on Flickr

Hanger by gistsc, on Flickr

Current build.
Tamiya 1/350 Scale USS Enterprise, 2001
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=102167

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:36 am 

Nice!

What cruise are you going to depict? Year and airwing please.

If I were to guess, I'd say the 1996 cruise or later.

Building:
1/48 Lancaster (HK)
1/350 Akagi
1/350 IJN Kongo

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:41 pm 
Yes, 2001 do to the availibility of Starfighter decals for the airwing.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:57 pm 

looking great so far!

I see you have the veterans seahawks and the bronco ones, would you mind posting a side by side pic of them unbuilt to compare the two?

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:33 am 

Here you go, a side by side comparison of the Bronco Models SH-60B/J and the Veteran Models SH-60.

Here are both kits side by side, the Victory on the left and Bronco on the right. They are basically two totally different approaches to the helo. The Victory is a resin kit with very few parts, 12 or 13 depending on folded rotors or not. The Bronco kit is injected plastic with 27 parts.
H603 by gistsc, on Flickr

This is a closer look at the Veteran Models resin and PE parts. Notice you get two aircraft one folded tail one unfolded. There are options for pylon stores, one missle (not sure what type) and a fuel tank. The PE parts are nice too, with a swash plate and pitch change links. You also get one main rotor unfolded and one folded.
H602 by gistsc, on Flickr

This is a closer look at the Bronco. Notice the entire forward fuselage is clear and the main fuselage is made up of three parts. This kit has the option for plastic or PE rotors. Also included is a simple decal sheet.
H601 by gistsc, on Flickr

A close up look at the Bronco PE sheet.
H60 by gistsc, on Flickr

Here are some macro close ups of the Veteran. Very detailed for 350 scale.
H609 by gistsc, on Flickr

Folded tail option.
H608 by gistsc, on Flickr

Stores, missle, torpedo, fuel tank, ejector rack, sonar boey, and a hoist.
H607 by gistsc, on Flickr

The Bronco up close, not as detailed. Still not bad though.
H606 by gistsc, on Flickr

H605 by gistsc, on Flickr

H604 by gistsc, on Flickr

Well, thats it. I hope this helps everyone make their choice in H-60's. I have to order at least two more to complete the airwing and I am going with the Veteran Models as the details are just stunning.

Scott

Current build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:20 am 

Perfect! Thanks very much! I too love the veterans sh-60's, and agree, the detail on those little helos is amazing! I had never seen the Bronco ones close up, every place I looked only had a picture of the box, I was hoping they would be as detialed as the veteran ones, but oh well. They still gotta be better than the ones trumpeter makes, which are in my opinion, pretty bad,and only useful if tucked way back in the hangar deck.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:22 am 

Awesome work Scott :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: :thumbs_up_1: and i agree the Veterans H-60 is by far the best for detail, just wish they would produce the Mk 29 Sparrow launchers.

I am looking forward to seeing more as you progress.

Happy Modeling

John

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:33 am 

:-( Looks like if will have a little delay in continuing my build. I have a paid commission build to do for one of my local F-18 pilots. I live at the home of the west coast master jet base for the U.S. Navy, and I have been building commissioned F-18 models for aviators here for a few years now. Every few months or so I get a call. Shouldn't take more than a few weeks to build and hopefully I will get a little time to work on the ship while waiting for paint to dry and things. Anyways, moving forward.

Current build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:47 am 

Well after a short break to build three commission 1/48 F/A-18E and F aircraft for some of my local rhino drivers, I'm getting back at it.

During my break, I continued to do a lot of research and have found a small problem. I realized I do not have the 65 markings for the sides of the island. I have the original kit decals, but as the kit is very old, the decals are toast. Cracked and yellowed. I have the Gold Metal Models carrier decal set, but they only have the 65 for the bow. Does anyone know where I can get these decals? Maybe someone here has an Alps printer I can get some help from?

Anyways I have been ordering parts as I find them. I have tons of PE. Everything from carrier sets to aircraft. I also have most of the airwing. Just need a few more aircraft. I have bought a few things from Veteran Models like CIWS, SH-60's, and SLQ-32 ECM and SRBOC chaff. I am very impressed with the quality of the Veteran Models products.

PE parts, please ignore the deck as I have decided to repaint it with german gray.
_GIS4743 by gistsc, on Flickr

Airwing and deck vehicles
_GIS4740 by gistsc, on Flickr

I also purchased an electro luminescence sheet to light my hanger deck. I realized after purchasing it that it will only work if I have a power outlet as it runs on 110v. So, I also purchased several 1.8mm LEDS to run on 9v battery packs. I just want to be able to light the hanger when I go to model show/contests. I also what to be able to dim the LEDS to give them a more realistic look. I purchased an Arduino micro-processor to accomplish the dimming.

EL sheet off
_GIS4735 by gistsc, on Flickr

EL sheet on with lights on
_GIS4736 by gistsc, on Flickr

EL sheet on with lights off
_GIS4737 by gistsc, on Flickr

LED set up
_GIS4739 by gistsc, on Flickr

Current build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:58 am 

Another option for your lighting needs are LED strips, I recently used these on my build of the Bush and I love them, they are perfect for hangars. You can check them out for yourself on my thread on the bush in the Works in progress forum.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:33 pm 

back in business :D

What are all those GMM PE set? Are those for the a/c or?

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:27 pm 

They are ship sets, both Enterprise and Nimitz, and aircraft sets. I also have extra doors/hatches, life raft mounts, ladders, and lots of figures. Going for 500-600 figures. I know I am asking for lots of work with all this photo etch, but I want a really cluttered look to the hanger/flight decks and catwalks.

Scott

Current build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:55 pm 

gistsc wrote:
They are ship sets, both Enterprise and Nimitz, and aircraft sets. I also have extra doors/hatches, life raft mounts, ladders, and lots of figures. Going for 500-600 figures. I know I am asking for lots of work with all this photo etch, but I want a really cluttered look to the hanger/flight decks and catwalks.

Scott

I'm doing the same ship but with the CWV 11 on board, I'm also looking for a detailed work.

Is there a set that have perforated catwalks for the Big E? I mean preformed, or we have to do it our self?

EDIT:

and also what kind of deck vehicles do you have? I see that you have 2 different sets, can you give me a link where I can find it?

Thanks

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:01 pm 

gistsc wrote:
I have the Gold Metal Models carrier decal set, but they only have the 65 for the bow. Does anyone know where I can get these decals?

Would this be of help?

http://steelnavy.com/GMMdecalsCVN.htm

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:01 am 

That is the decal set I have, notice there are no small number 5.

Current build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:54 am 

It looks to me through my research that Enterprise is unique in catwalk design among CVN's. Unlike the Nimitz Class carriers, Enterprise has catwalks closer resembling WW2 boats.

110404-N-0569K-203 by gistsc, on Flickr

Current build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:27 am 

Started working on the hull today. I had to back up a bit and remove some work I had started almost 20 years ago. The hanger deck was rushed together back then and did not hold up over time. I have completely removed it and plan to replace it with sheet styrene reinforced with hobby plywood underneath.

This is the old deck removed.
_GIS4749 by gistsc, on Flickr

_GIS4748 by gistsc, on Flickr

The next thing I noticed is when I cut the waterline years ago, it was not level. I have drawn a new line to help me remove some more plastic and level the line.
_GIS4753 by gistsc, on Flickr

Other modifications needed are the removel of the drainage pipe from the starboard side.
_GIS4751 by gistsc, on Flickr

Also the last two of the port side tie points (not sure what they are actually called) need to be raised. I am not sure exactly when these where raised, but I do now they where raised after 2000 sometime.
_GIS4754 by gistsc, on Flickr

CVN65 OP SummerPulse2005 by gistsc, on Flickr

I have come to the conclusion that no matter how much research I do, I will not be perfect in the fitting of this ship. There have been to many modifications over the many years in service. I will just do the best I can. Any help from fellow modelers here will be appreciated.

Scott

Current build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:28 am 

gistsc wrote:
I have come to the conclusion that no matter how much research I do, I will not be perfect in the fitting of this ship. There have been to many modifications over the many years in service. I will just do the best I can.

I know that feel, bro.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:40 am 

"Dutchman Bollards" (or at least that is what we called them) used for mooring lighterage alongside.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:53 pm 

Charles, good to hear from you, thought you had fallen off the planet or something.

Report this post