The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:46 pm 

I recently acquired the Sealsmodels River class kit; I will make use of this thread building her. I haven`t decided on which ship to build. Any suggestions? A ship that significantly contributed to the Battle of the Atlantic would be one I`d want to build.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:31 pm 

Gone Asiatic
I will recommend HMCS Swansea. It had the best record of Uboats sunk by a RCN (glad to see that name back!) ship including U-boats 845, 448, 311, and 247 (three were in co-operation with other RCN and RN ships). It was named after a town near Toronto that is now part of Toronto not the Wales seaport so its link to a Canadian town is no longer evident. It was built in the first batch, ie the 1942/43 program. It also had a post life as a Prestonian class frigate and was paid off in 1966 and BU in 1967. Frigates of the Royal Canadian Navy 1943-1974 would be a good reference by Ken MacPherson. I'm not aware of the records of RN frigates but I do offer this one for your consideration.
Best Wishes
George

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:00 am 

Hi fellow modellers,

Please allow me to join this wonderful topic.

I'm now privately editing small booklet of River Class Frigates.

I'm planning to include "Painting guides" for modellers in my booklet although plates will be reproduced in gray scales except colour cover jacket.

I reproduced these plates from sources I found in my bookshelf and on the internet, but I'm slightly anxiety about accuracy of these plates, especially colours worn by RCN and RAN ships. (Were they wearing same colours directed by Comouflage Department of British Admiralty?)

So I think it is best way to ask here how accurate my plates are and are there any errors I have to correct.

Also I want to attach my models of HMSs Jed and Derg built from Seals Models kit. Derg is almost straight from the box building and Jed is extensively modified to match reference sources.

Please enjoy them and any comments or advises are welcome :welcome:

Attachments:
File comment: My models of HMSs Jed (foreground) and Derg (background)
DSCF1448.jpg
DSCF1448.jpg [ 96.39 KiB | Viewed 18101 times ]
File comment: Quarter view of my model of Jed.
DSCF0113.jpg
DSCF0113.jpg [ 63.57 KiB | Viewed 18101 times ]
File comment: Model of Jed is extensively modified with plastic materials although I didn't use PE parts so much.
DSCF0102-01.jpg
DSCF0102-01.jpg [ 93.22 KiB | Viewed 18101 times ]
File comment: As Michael depict in his post, plan of HMS Swale in John Roberts' book "British Warships of Second World War" is very useful material to upgrade Seals Models kit.
DSCF0089.jpg
DSCF0089.jpg [ 130.23 KiB | Viewed 18101 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:40 am 

Thank you for posting these. I intend doing Jed and Wear, although hopefully one of them in a different fit and colours. I look forward to the opportunity of seeing your booklets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:50 pm 

Dear Fake John Bull:

I am a long-time admirer of your work, so welcome to ModelWarships.com.

Great work! I am, however, unable to judge the accuracy of your color call-outs.

Will try to look at my references, however, and get back.

How might I buy a copy of your pamphlet when it is published? It looks like it will be very worthwhile.

And could you please post pictures of your other models on ModelWarships.com? I have seen photos of your models elsewhere on the internet, and I think many people here would be very pleased to see them! Especially your model of HMS Nelson, and your 1/700 scale Admiralty model of HMS Bellerophon! (If I remember correctly)

Best wishes,

Mike E.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:01 am 

Hi Graham and Mike,

Thanks for your kind comments :-D

Most of editorial working for booklet are prepared by myself, but I will publish it as co-operative work with one of my fellow modellers in Japan. It will be sold at convention like "Comiket" or hobby shops in Japan. Also I want to distribute copies personally to whom it may interest all over the world. More detailed "sales program" should be discussed between him and I. I want to tell about it next month.

Mike,

Thanks for finding my post. Nice to see old friend again. I will post pictures of Rodney and Bellerophon when I have some spare time.

Regards,

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:46 pm 

Hello Fake Johnbull, here are my comments:

HMS Rother: design matches photos, plausible colours.
HMS Waveney: (note correct spelling) design matches photos but border line on funnel is visible in photo (see below), otherwise plausible.
Attachment:
Waveney b funnel crop.jpg
Waveney b funnel crop.jpg [ 6.72 KiB | Viewed 17978 times ]

HMS Moyola: design matches photos no idea about the colours..
HMCS Runnymede: design matches photos, plausible colours.
HMS Wear: design matches photos, plausible colours.
HMS Jed: design matches photos, but judging by the photos I have it was a two colour scheme, just white and WA blue.
HMS Derg: design matches photo, plausible colours.
HMCS New Glasgow: design matches photo, plausible colours.
HMCS Montreal: design matches photo, no idea about the colours.
HMCS Strathdam: design matches photos, plausible colours.
HMAS Gascoyne: design matches photos, but I think the forwardmost darker panel hull port and starboard was the middle tone colour not the darkest one, no idea about the colours.

Nice project. Look forward to seeing your pamphlets.

Best wishes.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 pm 

Hi dick,

Thank you for your kind advice and suggestion :smallsmile: I can close to more correct answer through discussion. This is really virtue of forum.

I altered Waveney (thank you for suggestion of correct spelling!) and I hope printer will represent different tone of AP507C and MS4A.

Three colour camouflage of Jed is based on Alan Raven's book (p.48, Camouflage Vol. Two: Royal Navy 1942). But her photos surely show there are distinguishable difference of hull panel colours :thinking:

Colours of Gascoyne are another annoying matter.

Please compare two photos bellow

(These two pictures are quoted from Kookaburra2011's Flickr album. http://www.flickr.com/photos/41311545@N05/4716271959/,http://www.flickr.com/photos/41311545@N05/5263011154/)

While one photo shows medium bow panek colour, another areal photo shows darker bow panel colour, although there is possibility that bow flare are throwing shadow to bow colour :thinking:

After some thought, I altered Gascoyne plate. I also changed colour of aft 4" HA gun and upperworks below of it.

Please feel free to give me your opinion :wave_1:

Regards,
Mitsuaki Kubota

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:10 pm 
I have posted a large collection of pictures of HMAS Diamantina, large pics, walk around and on board if it is of any use to you....

http://ran.macsnavylinks.ca/diamantina.html

Best,
Mac

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am 

Hi Mac,

Thank you for finding my post and your kind support :thanks:

I remember well email exchanges with you almost one year ago.

For some reasons I couldn't go forward my private publication but I hope I can publish it with corporation with one of my fellow modellers in this summer. Of course I will send copies to you when printed.

Regards,
Mitsuaki Kubota

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:03 pm 
No worries my friend, always glad to help fellow modellers pursue their goals. I am just finishing my Amatsukaze which will be so much better because of your kind assistance.

All the best from Halifax,
Mac

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 pm 
starshell wrote:

The Queensland Maritime Museum in Brisbane has HMAS Diamantina, an Australian River class that was modified for Hydrographic Work, but is being restored, rather well, as it happens.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:27 pm 

1/96 Plans for a Canadian River Class Frigate are available on line free at

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/plans/

They also have plans for a Canadian Tribal, Flower Class and minesweepers. Mainly lots of plans of US ships including Battleships and Carriers

Denis

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:27 am 

Does anyone have any scuttlebutt on whether the kits will be re-issued or where I may be able to get my hands on one? I missed the boat but since my birthday and Christmas are coming I thought I would be able to warm the bell a bit with Niner Domestic.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:46 pm 

Try Hobby Shop Sunny.
http://www.hobbyshop-sunny.co.jp/
They still have some.
Yellow Submarine in Akihabara also has a couple on the racks.
http://ys-hobby.shop-pro.jp/
Both as of last week.
I tried to look for the River kit in the Yellow Submarine on-line catalog, but it didn't list it. You may have to request it and see what they say.
Hobby Link Japan lists it as out of stock, but it shouldn't take long for a restock.

http://www.hlj.com/product/INTSMS-014
Rather than Seal, it now is listed under foresight.
1/700 WWII RCN Ex-RN River Class Frigates (2-Ship Set) Limited Edition
From Foresight (INTSMS-014) It includes a decal sheet.
2800 yen.

Best wishes,
Grant

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:41 pm 
Thanks Grant!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:42 pm 

I am interested in the colours used on the standard Canadian two-colour disruptive scheme shown on Strathadam, above.

I am wondering if the Dark Grey and Light Grey are AP507a and MS4a? Does anyone know about this standard scheme?
Thanks,
Rick

1/700 Ulsan - Kobo Hiryu
--and dozens more

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:57 am 

looking for info please - does anyone do a plastic kit of the river class that is 1/350 or above in scale. My uncle served on HMS Mourne and died when it was sunk, would like to build a model of the ship.

thanks

neil

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:21 am 
Hi Neil, Sorry for the late reply, but keep your eye on L'Arsenal, rumour has it that a 1/350 scale River is very close to finishing!!! Cant wait myself!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:24 pm 

Hi , does anyone have a copy of:

HMS Fal British Frigate 1943 - Model Construction Plan Set 1 : 96 [Paperback] by Paul A Webb

that you would be prepared to sell or lend to me?

Fingers crossed,
Dave

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next