The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:24 pm 

Quote:
but the way the hull plating runs into what is apparently a gargantuan and monolithic ram casting is suspicious.

Plate 40 of the Jaureguiberry from the Service Historique site shows that the bow of the Jaureguiberry was mainly of steel frame and plating. The main armour belt, which generally runs parallel to the waterline, starts to dip down from about frame 40 until it meets the tip of the bow. This area of the main armour belt no doubt makes up the ram. The rest of the ram below the point is, once again, steel plate and framing.

Randy

Attachments:
JAUREGUIBERRY Bow Ram Drawing.jpg
JAUREGUIBERRY Bow Ram Drawing.jpg [ 54.74 KiB | Viewed 6613 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:56 pm 

Hello Gentlemen!

With Carnot having at last been completed-- the rigging is done and the water is drying...
viewtopic.php?f=59&t=48865

( new photos soon)

I have started looking at the 1/350 Bouvet...!
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

and the vexed issue of opening the hatches( I intend my Bouvet to be at anchor, booms out etc
ergo she will be open to ventilate...

after a bit of experimentation...( in scrap resin block)

here is the result> 1/350 ( liberty ship l'arsena;)c Handrail section cut into oblong square gives very sharp inner edges and a firm plane to fill to if required.

Only another 50 to go.... :big_grin:

JIM B
Attachment:
2010-06-01 444.jpg
2010-06-01 444.jpg [ 69.41 KiB | Viewed 6577 times ]

http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/sh ... eview.html

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 am 

Just a little cross-posting:

As you may have noticed, my 1:100 L'Arrogante is finished:

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=51472

and the 1:100 Massena is progressing:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=39792

BTW: Having received the pictures of Jim's finished Carnot I can just say, it is perfect (although making her at least seven times as big would make her even more perfect :wink: (well, I think I should really try this "ceterum censeo"-thing). At least the Bouvet will be in 1:350, that's already half the way).

Post subject: Back again
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:05 pm 

Happy News! After they disappeard a long time ago, the french plans are finally up again:

http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.gouv.fr/02fonds-collections/banquedocuments/planbato/planbato/listebato/listebato.php

Unfortunately the side, where they hosted the really old plans (f.e. Redoutable, Hoche etc.) doesn't seem to be up again.

Cheers

Dirk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:29 am 

Hi,

I have seen only one drawing of Hoche on French site before - it was the hull (btw I downloaded that total album with drawings on my PC - let me know if you need any).

Do you mean that one drawing of Hoche (and other 'one drawing per ship') or there was a folder named like 'Hoche' with a bunch of drawings? This I have not seen.

Yevgeniy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:21 pm 

on the hoche it is only one plan with the lines of the hull but the associacion des amis du musee de la marine sell a plan at
http://www.aamm.fr/boutique/index.php?m ... cts_id=223
the 2 foto are of the model, in the booklet they are some little gravures.
the plan is fair, not very detailed.
it is also a russian book on the old french battleship (a.duperre, a.baudin class, marceau class, hoche) with no plans but a lot of foto.
ciao peppe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:42 pm 

Do you know the name of this Russian book?

Yevgeniy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:59 pm 

i think is petter a image
ciao peppe

Attachments:
libro0001.jpg
libro0001.jpg [ 148.04 KiB | Viewed 6385 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:18 pm 

Yes, image is a best thing :smallsmile: Thank you - will try to find it.

Yevgeniy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:03 pm 

I don't see this particular book at the moment, but I routinely see other books of this series on eBay. I have been wondering how good they are, especially since I can't read Russina.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:17 am 

I do not know about this publishing house/series. I have only information about the book of this series called "Броненосец Редутабль" (Battleship Redoutable). According to a person who was describing the book I mention (and I believe him) it has drawings from French archive and many photos. It costs approx 15 USD in Russia http://www.morkniga.ru/p805304.html which is 450 Rubbles). It is up to you to decide whether is is worth your money and do they charge same price on e-bay.

Yevgeniy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:57 am 

the russian book is 72 pages of text and 28 of fotos. in the text are the plans of janes, lot of little fotos and gravures and the plans with hull lines od french historic site
ciao peppe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:07 pm 

I don't have this particular book but I have books from this series covering other ships. They include valuable information and interesting photographs but they don't contain enough data to be "one source" monograph about any particular ship.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:24 am 
Not seen you all before this. Have been interested in carving a ship from wood. I'm a carver/turner of wood.

The Forbes family sold off their 4 generation collection of model toy boats a while back.
One that struck my eye was the French battleship, "Andre the Giant". The narrative indicates it has been modeled after a real French ship. This is a one of a kind model, made in France or England... but, alas, I can find nothing about the actual ship or anything other than 3 or 4 photos for the Forbe's model. It's 47 inches long and is quite impressive.

Anyone out there that can give me some help on locating blue prints or diagrams or good photos of the real ship?, etc......

Thanks for the, (hopefully), help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:55 pm 

Here's a pic of the Andre the Giant model: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZkRxKNxUnxo/T ... +Giant.jpg

I really don't think the model was based on any one ship - French pre-dreadnoughts generally had more than one funnel, and those that did have a single funnel tend to not have turrets with two guns in them.

Ships that may have inspired the model probably include the Marceau, Hoche, and Admiral Baudin classes, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:36 am 
Timmy,
Thanks for the speedy and good reply. Blowing the photo up certainly helps in giving me some detail...although it appears I must use some "artistic license" in the actual construction....
Thanks again.
JB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:23 am 

Ive used search for a thread on Battleship Hoshe's deck color and for some reason cant find it.

The conclusion was the main deck was steel. I have 2 questions. What colour would the painted steel deck be. Also any idea how to find the original thread again which was called "Frensh Battleship Hoshe.What colour steel decks and catwalks" If anyone can find a link Id be very grateful.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:36 am 

It must have scrolled off the board, if you posted the query here in the Main Forum.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:24 am 

Bummer , so its gone then. I thought the board was persistent :( I guess Ill have to start a new thread now Im back building Hoshe.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:56 am 

Certain areas, like "Calling all Ship Fans" are, and when there is good stuff in the main section it will sometimes be merged in with an existing thread there for permanence. That's not to say that you should post all of your questions in CASF, but if it's a question that you think would get asked multiple times it might be best to find the appropriate thread in CASF and post it there.

Also, were you searching for that exact phrase, or did you try cutting it down and just searching for Hoshe?

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next