The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:46 pm 

Matt,

I likely didn't E-Mail that I was going to post the images ... last week was one of those kind of fuzzy ones. I thought I said that I would post some photos rather than try to E-Mail one at a time, which would have taken awhile plus I thought that others would like to see these. These are the best images I have for this configuration. I have images before and after this period, including the only SIMS to get the anti-kamikaze mod. Several of the survivors of the SIMS class were expended in the Bikini Tests and the USN took some really nice views of them ... before the test.

I would like to build/convert one of this class, they were very active in the war and suffered heavy losses. But, my skills to build their stack are lacking. I had hoped that an after-market company would make a conversion set. But, since you are going to buld one ... DML is sure to produce a kit. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:55 pm 

Interesting thread. I too thought you could build a Sims out of a Skywave Benson/Gleaves 1/700.
LOA is the same and so is the hull sheer. Even with a Dragon Benson/Gleaves X2 kit, you'd have plenty of leftovers in case you screw up.

I guess the big thing is the layout and angles of the uptakes. BUT, if there were additional vents put in
along side the funnel during the war, depending on the specific ship, it's possible to "hide" the original uptakes behind the upgrades, at least in 1/700. (Sorry you purists)
Guess it depends on which year you're trying to build. Then, you'd still have to scratch a midship deckhouse & funnel, or hit the parts box.

So, no post in 2 years, I guess no one has attempted. If you have, PLEASE post. Be very interested in the results.

-Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:55 pm 

I've been doing some pre-planning for a model of a Sims in 1/144 scale. As a number of you have pointed out the stack trunking is going to be a challenge. So, a couple of weeks ago during my lunch at work I started modeling the trunking in CAD. My plan is once I have the shape smoothed out and essentially correct I'm going to send the model to our new 3-D printer. At that point I'll be able to make some serious headway.

Anyway, I've added a couple of screen captures for all of you to review; I would love to hear any feedback or thoughts on corrections that you think I might need to make.

From the starboard bow:

From the starboard quarter elevated:

My plan when I print it is to have slots in the model so I can insert plastic strip to create the flanges where it looks like sections were bolted together. After this part is worked out then I'm going to move onto the stack and base themselves.

Your thoughts and observations encouraged.

best,
Bruce

Currently on the building ways:
1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Cook Inlet AVP-36
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:23 pm 

Bruce,

Not to assume, but you must have drawings on the uptakes, no?
Even so, your rendering is very nicely done & convincing.

I can only eyeball it from Ricks & limited Navsource pics.

You're on the right track.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:35 pm 

Hey Paul,

I purchased a copy of the Maryland Silver company plan book on the Sims class. The plans are a collection of different yard drawings, but they don't give any real hard data on the trunk, just general arrangement views. So I have been scaling the drawings and pulling what information from them that I can. Because they only give basic overall shape I have spent a lot of time studying the pictures that Rick posted and have tried to make sense of the shape by comparison. I had reached a point where I needed more eyes that have an interest so I can get a critical review.
I'm hoping to run the first 3-D printing of the trunk this week.

Best,
Bruce

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:21 pm 

Bruce,

I've never scratch built a ship off of plans, just pics.
Since you have drawings, you're one step ahead of anyone else here thats posted
as of late.
That you only have "general plans" I wouldnt think there's a need to worry.
8 different yards built 12 ships from the first keel in Feb '37 to the last launching in May of '39.
Throw in bureaucracy, and different builders/yards, you could
come up with a difference of angles and dimensions over those two years.
Hence, "general" is a great starting point.

1/144, WOW, you gonna motorize her too?

Paul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:28 pm 

Paul,

The individual units in the SIMS class would not have varied that much pre-war. ALL of the units were built to the SAME set of plans ... six by five USN Yards and six by three private yards (two each) . The stack "uptakes" would HAVE to all be located in the same locations to correspond to the power plant (boilers/engines) below main deck that were common with the entire class. This was even true with the large war-built units like the FLETCHERS ... the stacks were located in the same places and were to the same design. The USN ... particularly pre-war ... were adamant about maintaining a common CONFIGURATION when possible and the pre-war Navy would have been very strict about that and took the time to make sure it was done that way. War-built units variations between units in a given class had more to do with things like shape and construction of bulwarks and modified platforms for fire control directors. Generally not major structures.

Configurations of the various units during the war would start to vary with progressive upgrades that changed with time. The Atlantic and Pacific SIMS Class units followed different paths in their configurations.

So once Bruce figures out how this beast of a stack was built, it will be good for all units. :cool_2:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:41 am 

Rick, I agree with you. I apparently did'nt post a concise response.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:11 pm 

Paul,
I have thought about motorizing the model, but based on experience with my 1/144 Fletcher it really won't work. When you see a model of this size out on the water it just doesn't look realistic in my opinion. My intent is that the model would eventually be a "musuem" model to put along side the other 1/144 models in the collection.

Thanks for the additional informatin Rick; as always, good stuff.

best,
Bruce

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:45 pm 

Greetings all,

So I have finally, after a couple of attempts, derived a CAD model of the Sims class trunk and funnel that I think fairly represents the actual structure. It will require some sanding and filling to be truly usable but it is amazing what the 3D printer can turn out.

My thanks to Rick Davis for his inputs and information, it sure filled in some blanks that most of the plans I've seen left open and made figuring out the trunk much less daunting. I would like to hear any critiques or suggestions to improve the project.

best,
Bruce

1/144 USS Stevens DD-479
1/144 USS Walke DD-416
1/144 USS Preble DDG-46

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:51 pm 

Sweet.

So ... when are you going to 'mass-produce' these in 1/350 scale? :big_grin:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:23 pm 

Can anyone tell me what the height of the boot topping should be on a Sims please?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:34 pm 

Here is the "as built" specified boot topping strip. Whether it was changed with war modification or not, I don't know.

Attachments:
DD409BowCloseUp.jpg
DD409BowCloseUp.jpg [ 143.29 KiB | Viewed 2777 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:38 pm 

Thanks Rick. So if I am looking at that right it is roughly 5'6" right?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:15 pm 

Actually it looks more like 4.5-ft ... 3-ft above the waterline and 1.5-ft below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am 

Howdy, y'all.

Would anyone have pics to share of the aft deck house of an early Sims? Specifically, I'm looking for the cranes and boat platforms, and anything novel about the open 5" guns. I am trying to finish a Dragon Benson/Gleaves conversion before the Tamiya kit arrives. My current references, (and my middle-aged eyes) have me stumped.

-ah3000mk1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:17 am 

Many thanks everyone,

This tread helped me a lot for finally finishing my 1/700th scale Morris, built from the Niko Model kit.
The result can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=155076

Marijn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:44 am 

Tom's Modelworks was selling a CD of Sims class photos from Rick E Davis' research at Nationals in Hampton (Richard can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this research was to design the Sims class PE set that Toms sells). I got one. It had 213 jpg photo files, some with incredible clarity (very zoom-able), and 28 scans of old builders plans (some of these files were too large for my aging version of Photo Gallery, but I could still open them in Adobe Photoshop Elements. Some of the plans had clearly seen better days (aged and wrinkled). As for the photos, to give an idea of the distribution of subjects, 23 photos were labeled DD420, while 28 were labeled DD411. Some photos show more than one Sims class DD, e.g. when two were moored side by side at a dock.

Post subject: USS RUSSELL DD 414 PHOTO
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:20 pm 

A few years back I stumbled on to a photo of Russell taken from an adjacent ship that showed the details of the aft superstructure. I lost the photo due to a recent cryptolocker invasion. If anyone out there has it please email me a copy, my contact info is on the page with my models. I do have the photos taken from the bow area looking aft. The now MIA photo showed the aft superstructure from almost abeam of the starboard side of the aft superstructure, taken from very roughly 100 yards away. All ships were docked and there was one beside Russell if my memory is correct. I wish I could remember its source but I do not.

Thanks in advance if you have it.

Fred Branyan

Last edited by Timmy C on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into Sims class thread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm 

This ship is next on the build list.

I have a starboard photo of it with a crane in the background very similar to the one of Morris. I am pretty sure I got it at NARA about 20 years ago when you could only make paper copies. My copy is horrible even after scanning it and adjusting contrast/brightness you cannot see the camo pattern. I do have the photo of her beside CV 5 at Midway if all else fails but the one above was much closer. If anyone has a clear copy of this photo could you please email it to me. Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next