The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The CAD-yard
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:40 pm 

That is looking nice. Yeah, I thought it would take a bit of fiddling.

I'm liking the display model look you have there!

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:14 pm 

Yeah, thanks!
Been "fiddling about" (The Who) :big_grin: a little more with that, and I'm satisfied with it for now. I switched up with the folding deck plates, using a curve with the array modifier instead of a lattice, which I think worked out pretty well. Progress hasn't been what I had wanted, but since we've had some unseasonably nice weather this past week, sitting indoors on the computer just wasn't cutting it. :smallsmile:
Still a ways to go, and some tweaking to do, like the rowboats, cables, etc., but the nice weather might postpone that for a little longer.

Quote:
I'm liking the display model look you have there!

Me too, :smallsmile: but it really wasn't on purpose. I just thought it could use a little color to help break things up, instead of the standard grayish color. But I really like the static model idea, now added to the list, a stand for it to sit on, and an engraved nameplate. :big_grin:

Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 pm 

The Perry has enormous character and the detailing really telegraphs the period -- congratulations on this jewel. It would make a great rc pond model. With a motor on each paddlewheel and differential control she could turn on a dime. Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:56 am 

She's looking great, Dean! Makes me want to scratch-build a model of her. Well, I've always wanted to do that, but now it's just a stronger urge.

I like the colors as well. Those ferries usually stayed in their original white color that they worked the NYC harbors in, they didn't have time or the resources to repaint them before they went into action.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:24 pm 

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

mcg wrote:
It would make a great rc pond model. With a motor on each paddlewheel and differential control she could turn on a dime.

That does sound cool, good idea. My problem is, I like speed, so I'd end up putting some high kv motors in it, and it would become a hydro-paddle. :big_grin:

Devin wrote:
Makes me want to scratch-build a model of her. Well, I've always wanted to do that, but now it's just a stronger urge.

He-he, yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think it would make for a good model too. Like Michael mentioned, it would really be sweet as a RC model... Now there's an idea for you. :smallsmile:

I was never really into these paddlewheel gunboats before, but they grow on you after awhile. Another pair that has peeked my interest are the USS Lexington and the USS Tyler. Pretty unique and odd looking, that's right up my ally.

Dean

Attachments:
USS Lexington.jpg
USS Lexington.jpg [ 100.87 KiB | Viewed 1770 times ]
Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:20 pm 

The Perry has turned out brilliantly.

It will be interesting to see your next project :D

Doing a 'cotton clad' sounds like fun actually.

I was tallking about the 'realistic model' look you achieved. It has the feel of a photo of a 'real' display model. It suites the style of the model very well.

I've got a couple of days off so hopefully I can post something here soon!

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:22 am 

Thank you Owen, you've been a big help to me on this project.

I think it was more dumb luck than anything that it turned out looking like a static model. :big_grin: As you've noticed, I tend to like rendering the shots instead of using screen grabs. Besides making the model look better, textured or not, it helps the little things stand out more clearly. At least that's what I tell myself...

Cool, can't wait to see what you've got going on, so post away. I'm starting to feel like a lone wolf here. :smallsmile:

Cheers,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:11 am 

You guys are really tempting me... I'm just now finshed with a consulting project, so I'm going to have time off to write and build models. But now you've got me thinking I need to fire up Rhino and see if I can come up with some 3D models.

Just what I need, another hobby!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:36 am 

Devin,

Would that project be the Viper? It was looking great last time I checked. (oops, I see you said consulting, not model building.)

You know what, instead of Rhino, take a look at this app http://www.123dapp.com/123d. It's free, should be easier to pick up on than Rhino, plus it has options for 3D printing and laser-cutting. We'll make a virtual modeller out of you yet. :big_grin:

Take care,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 am 

Dean,

No, the project is a tech gig I do for a law firm in midtown Manhattan. Been there 13 months straight this time; I'm hoping to get a month or so off before they call me back.

I'll check out that software, sounds just like what I need. The copy of Rhino I have is years old at this point, too. I have to admit, that if our little Chickasaw experiment pans out, and I can learn how to design even basic hulls in 3D, it'd be a huge help.

-Devin

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:01 am 

I have been following this thread from the start and I am really glad you are keeping the virtual modelling page going.

However, I have a complaint/suggestion. Each of your projects is buried in this one thread. This makes it harder for others to find each specific ship. If each ship had a thread with the ship name in the Subject line it would be easier for someone to find it who is searching for information about the ship.

For those of us who are following the virtual modeling section it won't make a difference if it is one or many threads.

What do you think? In any case, keep posting! Your projects are fascinating. I have learned more about mid-nineteenth century ships here than I have from any other source.

Phil

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:32 pm 

Phil,
Thank you for the very nice comments. I too have learned a lot about these ships, thanks to the great members here.
And I see your point about having multiple projects in one thread, it would make it harder to search.
I guess I thought posting various projects from a relative newbie to ship modeling, would help other's new to modeling ships, or modeling in general, feel a little more comfortable, or willing, to show their WIP's, or ask modeling questions. And to have some of the more experienced guys share some of their tips and tricks.

take care,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:54 pm 

For those interested, I've started a post about the build of the USS Chickasaw model designed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=106161

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:27 pm 

More progress on my Parrot Rifle.

This is a Cycles render.

Attachment:
parrotrifle_01.jpg
parrotrifle_01.jpg [ 95.93 KiB | Viewed 1546 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:02 pm 

Nice Parrot Rifle! :thumbs_up_1:

Seeing you posting updates got me motivated to actually work on some lingering projects, thanks for that. :big_grin:

So, following the cannon theme, I've been trying out some new wood textures on this Brookes Rifle, still not completely happy with them yet.

And started back on the Ononadaga, with a little more tweaking it'll be time to start cutting it up for a frame only kit. Still not sure if I'll finish detailing the CAD model once the cut files are done.

-Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 am 

Ooooh, that is nice! The Onondaga looks lovely.

Got my 'real' trees working. These will be used on several different projects, so I'm putting them here. These were made with Blender's 'Sapling' add-on (not 2.63 friendly yet).
Attachment:
cyclessaplingtree_03.jpg
cyclessaplingtree_03.jpg [ 125.28 KiB | Viewed 1519 times ]

Same with the Teaser. I call her the Teaser, but she's also going to do double duty as an ironclad tender :D .
Attachment:
teaseroceansim_web.jpg
teaseroceansim_web.jpg [ 107.75 KiB | Viewed 1519 times ]

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:47 am 

Those trees look great! So by not being 2.63 friendly, does it make Blender crash, or just real slow? Because that's something I'd be interested in using.

Oh my, what a big gun the Teaser has! :big_grin: Looks great though.

Cheers,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:49 am 

They haven't updated the script to work with BMesh, so it just dosen't apply the tree trunks to the trees. It works fine in the old mesh system, just make it in 2.62 and then open the file with 2.63 and away you go.

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 pm 

Having downloaded the latest Blender build, I figured I would play around with it a bit. And since I haven't used it in awhile, I figured I'd dust of the Commodore Perry and add a few items. For me, it's more a learning Blender model, and will not be super detailed like most of the models on this site, but it felt good to get back to it.
Another thing that I've been wanting to learn is post processing, so for starters, I tried my hand at adding a little smoke to a Chickasaw pic, it's not really that great, but I'm learning. I also want to learn more about how to add wake to the hull to give it that feel of motion.
Anyway, here's a couple pics of where I'm at in the learning process.

Take care,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:24 pm 

Love those clouds on the Chickasaw render! The Perry looks great, too.

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next