The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: The CAD-yard
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:04 pm 

Well actually, I just eyeballed the size when I scaled down the models after I brought them into the scene, so it may not be an accurate comparison. :big_grin:

Thanks,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:10 pm 

A quick look on my online bible (Ironclads and Blockade Runners) shows Onondaga at 226' and the Milwaukee class at 229', so you're darn close!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:18 pm 

Dude! That's amazing. Just imagine having a room with those models in so you can sight over the top of the lead turret in chickasaw towards the rebel fleet and make "ba-hoom" noises.

Owen

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:33 am 

Thanks Guys.

Ha-ha, yeah, "Ba-Hoom", I have to admit, done that a few times already. Did some test perspective shots from the unfinished first scene a little while back, just to get an idea of how it would look.

One shot, no pun intended, from the deck of the Perry.

And one atop the Chickasaw turret.

-Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:43 pm 

Hello All,
I've been on this site for a week or two, and it's taken me until tonight to get through all the CAD Yard discussion. Reading it has been very helpful and informative, for which I thank all those who have contributed.
I'm returning to ship modelling/wargaming after a longish pause. I'm currently doing up a 1/2400 scale WW2 collection using GHQ and CinC models. I am also interested in sailing warships from 1793-1815.
I have also been aware of the approach of 3D printing and its implications for ship modelling.
I would like to learn CAD work to enable me to do models at 1/1200 and smaller scales.
I'm struggling to get my head around all the sorts of CAD available. My want to do is to create acceptable models suitable for 3D printing in 1/1200 and smaller scales. My first priority is to identify a CAD program that will be best for me. In the past, as a model builder I have acquired a substantial library of scale plans, and would hope to be able to use these as a starting point.
I hope some of you could make some suggestions.
Thank you
John L

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:59 pm 

Hey John,

Welcome to the forum, and I'm glad you enjoyed the CAD-Yard thread.

Shetchup is free, and fairly easy to get into, you can give it a try to see if it interest's you. There's also a ton of free downloadable models from their 3DWarehouse you can check out, and quite a few forums too.
http://www.sketchup.com/
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

One thing to remember when making small scale models for 3D printing, your limited to the amount of detail you can achieve from the printer and material, so you'll have to keep them fairly simple at those scales.

-Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:21 am 

Hi Dean,
Thanks for that. It is very helpful. I have already downloaded the free to use version of Sketchup. I've had a some practice on it, and had some success and more frustration. It seemed very insistent on right angles and didn't seem very happy with curves. Either (in order of likelihood) I didn't know what I was doing or I need to get to the full program.
I've been looking at CAD stuff and the variety of offerings in bewildering. So I am very glad to have you recommend Sketchup, as it means I can apply myself to learning the ropes knowing that I'm not struggling with something that will end up being the wrong program.
Thanks again for your very interesting posts. I'm going to have some more cracks at Sketchup and will likely come back for some help.
Cheers John

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:50 pm 

Just proving that I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth.

Owen
Attachment:
teaserteaser.jpg
teaserteaser.jpg [ 88.33 KiB | Viewed 3447 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:01 pm 

I needed a paddlewheel steamer in the background of a shot so I re-purposed the Teaser. It only took me a few hours.

If only the Confederacy knew how quicky you could turn these things around. :D

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:49 am 

tea monster wrote:
Just proving that I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth.

Owen

I have! :big_grin: Just kidding, but it sure seems like it.

The Teaser looks great, and your re-purposed Teaser/Paddlewheel steamer looks really good too, nice one!

Take care,
Dean

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:15 pm 

Thanks, good to hear from you again!

Iv'e actually been working on both the Tecumseh (redone the raft and adjusted all the shaders for Cycles. I've also got a scene together with the Tennessee. I'm quite proud of that one and I'll post a version up when it's been adjusted a bit.

Owen

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 271 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14