The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:06 am 

Hi Hood fan.I, too, have the Trumpeter kit and have found it to be very good and very detailed. Have not seen the Zvezda kit so
i cannot compare. I believe Pontos will be bringing out a dedicated detail set sometime in 2013, as their set is not compatible with
the Trumpeter kit. I also believe the WEM PE is not compatible for the Trumpeter kit. Could WEM confirm this?. Also could Pontos likewise
confirm that they will produce a dedicated Trumpeter detail set?. Have delayed the start of my build until i have the answers to
these questions.
Tim.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:27 am 

I have just made a start on this one, waiting updates for Bimarcks and Hood.

There is quite a bit of work to be done around the Anchor Hawsiers (SP). There are holes in the deck and holes in the hull, but nothing in between. I used plastic tubing, filler and a lot of trial and error fits to make it all come together. It's currently drying out, with a gallon of mr Surfacer in each hole.

It's worth doing....

Does anyone have a picture of this area, looking from the deck down?

Nigel

Post subject: Tripod railings
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:11 am 
I have the Zvezda 1:350 HMS Dreadnought with the Pontos upgrade set (these just keep getting better and better), but have a rather arcane question. I haven't seen any photographs of the Dreadnought that are sufficiently detailed to show exactly where the ladders would be on the tripods, either for the foremast or mainmast. There had to be a way to get up to those spotting platforms; does anyone know on which tripod post the ladder(s) would be, and facing in which direction? Incidentally, Pontos does not provide such ladders, but I have plenty left over from other builds.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:15 pm 

Location: Cologne / Germany, sometimes Poznan/ Poland and Chessington/ UK
Hello,

because my IJN Mikasa is soon ready, it'stime to make closer preparations for my next ship - HMS Dreadnought from Zvezda + Pontos Set.
After getting much needful informations here in forum, as well on other sites and sources with photos and drawings etc., one point is still unclear:

The exact position of the 5 torpedo tubes (2 each side + 1 at stern)!

Has anyone here some informations, photos or drawings showing them? They are not made on Zvezda kit, but I want to make them on my ship. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Christian
:wave_1:

Post subject: Re: Tripod railings
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:45 pm 

apfelzra wrote:
I have the Zvezda 1:350 HMS Dreadnought with the Pontos upgrade set (these just keep getting better and better), but have a rather arcane question. I haven't seen any photographs of the Dreadnought that are sufficiently detailed to show exactly where the ladders would be on the tripods, either for the foremast or mainmast. There had to be a way to get up to those spotting platforms; does anyone know on which tripod post the ladder(s) would be, and facing in which direction? Incidentally, Pontos does not provide such ladders, but I have plenty left over from other builds.

IIRC ladders (or rungs) were on the inside.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:06 am 
The book AOTS Dreadnought shows the torpedo tubes on the port side roughly in-line with the tip of the guns in turret A and Y turret. The starboard side tubes were slightly forward of the port ones. The stern torpedo tube is just above the "corner" on the stern, about as low on the stern (aft of the rudders) that you can get.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:00 am 

Hello guest,

thank you very much so long for information, helps for the first much. :-)

If anyone has any drawing about the correct position (because where in high) too, will be helpfull.

Cheers,
Christian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:59 pm 

I bought the Trumpeter 1915 version (1/350)
A main difference in this kit seems to be in the command bridge area, other models i have seen have little platforms on either side with searchlights on them.

In the 1915 kit they are not there, i guess there is a reason for this...

Is trumpeter correct about this or did they screw this up?
In their 1907 version they are there, witch is correct i guess.

But they show this feature on their box-art...

Any help welcome :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:56 pm 

No diagrams, just a quote from RA Burt's British Battleships of World War One, under Appearance Changes -> 1914-16, pages 33 & 35:

Quote:
The bridge searchlights were remounted on platforms, low down on the fore tripod legs...In order to give the conning tower a clear view ahead, the wings were removed from the bridge and the navigating platform was extended forward.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:03 am 

Does anybody know of a 1/700 kit of the Dreadnought other than the Combrig kit? There seem to be ships in 1/350 from the usual suspects but i've only found the Combrig kit in 1/700. Not a bad kit for the ~$50 price but wanted to see if there was a less complex and possibly plastic kit available. 1/350 is just a bit large for my intended display area.

Dallas, Tx

Working on: Revell 1/426 USS Arizona BB-39

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:06 pm 

On most models i see that the deck around the tripod mast, funnels and 'inside' 12 pounders is painted in a dark red-brown color...

So my question is why?

Different wood or paint?

Thanks in advance

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:26 am 

Smetsket wrote:
On most models i see that the deck around the tripod mast, funnels and 'inside' 12 pounders is painted in a dark red-brown color...

So my question is why?

Different wood or paint?

Thanks in advance

Tim

It's Linoleum Tim. :wave_1:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:42 pm 

I also picked up Trumpeter's 1/350 1915 version of the Dreadnaught. The included PE railing isn't enough to do the whole ship. Is this an error on Trumpeter's part? All listed frets are included in my box. They only give you railing for the platforms, and locations around the bridge.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ThomasEJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:10 pm 

does anyone know if the 1907 PE sets will work on the 1915 kit? I cant seem to find any dedicated sets for this year version...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:48 am 

I just ordered the eduard 1907 railing. I hope it will do to fill in the gaps left by trumpeters railing....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:19 am 

How does the Rhino/Steel Navy 1/350 resin compare to either Trumpeter or Zvezda?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:19 pm 

Hi Felix C

I have actually built the original Rhino models release that was mastered by Dave Runkle--I built it back in 1999.

( way before internet and computers in my house-- and way before access to the huuuge font of knowledge available at the click of a mouse .

As such it is not entirely fair to compare the present day plastic kits -coupled with the vast array of PR aftermarket available now

The kit at that time was actually pretty good-- some of the PE was ahead of its time , though I scratch built the launches-( the kit versions were of a generic US pattern)

and added the net shelves, substituted all the kits handrails for closer spaced WEM PE

IF.... I were to build another 1/350 Dreadnought-- I would probably build a model based on the resin hull from steel Navy-- for one very simple reason...

I do not like -actually loathe- on any model kit plastic or resin -the current fashion; the vastly overscale plank butt-ends .

I am not not over enamoured by the wood decks-- they seem to my eyes too much like they are creating a modellers model-- visually very appealing -as a model--but not actually a 'photographic' representation of the real thing--where the buttends are all but invisible most small scale model wood decks- though not all- have planks that are to wide--caulking lines that are too prominent... and those vexed butt ends! :big_grin:

With the resin hull --despite the hassle of waterling the full cast hull

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18213&start=0

I would then add the plating runs( as I did last time)

I would then buy either an Academy or Zveda kit ( or both) --and the best PE sets available ( North Star, Pontos, WEM et al) and build my usual hybrid model

Might not be cheap--but I would end up with the model I wanted!! :cool_2: :big_grin:

Out of the box .....

and with a little less obsession about plank butt ends - :big_grin:

-the plastic kits benefiting from modern technology and research will give you an easier result ...

here are some images of my Dreadnought model( shot just now this evening through the glass case especially for you ! )

ergo flash glare

Best wishes

Jim Baumann

Attachments:
panhard 005.jpg
panhard 005.jpg [ 126.06 KiB | Viewed 24022 times ]
panhard 006.jpg
panhard 006.jpg [ 192.21 KiB | Viewed 24022 times ]
panhard 007.jpg
panhard 007.jpg [ 169.75 KiB | Viewed 24022 times ]
panhard 008.jpg
panhard 008.jpg [ 100.86 KiB | Viewed 24022 times ]
panhard 010.jpg
panhard 010.jpg [ 179.82 KiB | Viewed 24022 times ]

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:17 pm 

Thanks and that is the crux of it. The resin kit is self contained-model and PE for $$ compared to Plastic kit $ and PE which can range about quite a bit from low $ to several $$ .

Is the Rhino/Steel reasonably accurate all these years later?

I mean it is hobby, not looking for Camelot or a Spanish Inquisition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:36 pm 

hmnnn....

>>>>>The resin kit is self contained-model and PE for $$<<<<

That is the case--however I do not feel that the kit In built back then would build into an equal replica of the plastic kit out of the box

-it may well be a different beast now that Commander models steel navy have manufactured some WW 1 RN subjects

so the ships boats may well have been updated .--as indeed may well be the case for the kit as well--my info is 14 years old!

In outline and location of the items and superstructure I believe the old resin kit to be correct

However I would be inclined to either rework the funnels-( they had cast on ridges to represent the chains) -or use a Zveda kit( which is pretty inexpensive-and also order opne of the very comprehensive PE sets to fill in ny gaps-as a parts donor and build a hybrid ...

so the cost / saving money equation is does not really enter...- ie the resin kit won save you money-- but it my well assist you in getting a model with a more subtle deck!!!

Martin Quinn built a Rhino kit as well

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

Good luck

Jim Baumann

IPMS UK SIG (special interest group) www.finewaterline.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:35 am 

I just ordered the 1915 kit from Squadron at 28 bucks. :woo_hoo:

Eduard makes a Trumpeter-specific PE set but, how does the WEM stuff fit it? I'd look at the Pontos set, but it's for the 1907 ship made for the other manufacturer.

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next