The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:41 am 

Hope you don't mind a few RN Tribals of a different era

A shot of Zulu (post modernisation) and Tartar pre mod.

Some shots of Tartar

Task Force 72, home of some of the world's finest 1:72 scale model ships http://www.taskforce72.org

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:53 pm 

Although RN destroyers are not usually my standard fare, I found a Trumpy HMS Zulu for a few bucks less than I would have expected along with the WEM PE. I'm aware of the issues with the kit (some of which I'll fix, others I'll leave,) but I'm concerned with the camo of the ship. Trumpy is notoriously bad with their color charts and they have the Zulu in what appears to be a U.S. ms.22 scheme. Pretty sure that's incorrect. I looked online and found some pics, but they weren't all that helpful. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!! :wave_1:

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:37 pm 

ZULU wore the RN's so-called "Dark Hull/Light Upperworks" camouflage. The colors were most likely AP 507A Admiralty Dark Grey on the hull, and AP 507C Admiralty Light Grey on the upperworks. Both are available in our Colourcoats enamels.

Shady Grove Farm on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShadyGroveDuckEggs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 pm 

Thanks a ton John. I figured it was something like that, and luckily, I have those colorcoats on my table!

:thumbs_up_1:

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:50 am 

I am seeking advice on the the colours used inside the twin 4.7" mountings of RN/RAN/RCN ships during the early part of WWII such as would be used withn the Tribals and the J/K/Ns.

I am building HMAS NORMAN in 1/72 scale as she was in the Indian Ocean in 1943 as part of the 7th Flotilla. While I have a very good handle on the camouflage scheme in force at that time I have chosen to depict this ship, I have been unable to find authoritative information on what colours the inside of the 4.7" mountings were painted at that stage of the war - I would doubt that they would simply conform with the camouflage scheme but would be painted such as to make operation of the guns in the dark somewhat easier. I have heard that the inside of the mounting was white (dark grey decks) and the loading mechanism red but cannot obtain any confirmation of this. Any ideas out there from the Tribal community?

Cheers

Dave P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:22 pm 

Hello all.

I have a photo of a Canadian destroyer. I believe it is the HMCS Nootka, 213. The picture was taken from my father`s ship, the Lowrey, DD770 USN in 1952 while serving off the Korean coast.

I am attempting to model this ship in 1:700 using the Trumpeter HMS Eskimo kit. I was wondering what color paint was used during the Korean war era and if decal number sets are avaiable in 1:700 for modeling this ship. Thanks for your help.

TJ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:39 pm 

TJ,
Good luck with the conversion. If you look at the Resin Shipyard sight at Darren's Haida you'll see an excellent view of how much work you're in for.

I was wondering if any of you highly skilled fellows have any experience with the Flyhawk ESKIMO sets? I am going to attempt to turn the Trumpeter HURON into a more realistic version of HMCS HURON but have quickly realized that I will need to essentially scratch-build everything above deck level and cover and re-drill all of the portholes. I was thinking of using some of my hard-earned Christmas gift money to grab one of the sets to use the bulkheads and most of the fittings (I won't even begin to try to build their 4.7 or 4" guns). I had originally thought of copying parts of the Ultracast HAIDA I have (I'll be using the awesome WEM set for that one) but the fear of fouling up the originals has me stalled... I contacted Ultracast to see if they had any leftovers parts to see if could buy those but no luck there. Any tips before this joins the ever-growing list of WIPs?

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:53 pm 

TJ
Nootka as photographed is two mods beyond the RN Tribal as the later RCN tribals were originally somewhat different from the earlier RN tribals and Nootka as indicated in your photo has at least part of the post war ASW upgrade. As indicated by Tim, the Resin Shipyard is a good place to check, take alook at HMCS Haida (which is also a Tribal). Your photo is interesting as it seems to have the 2 squid mountings at the stern but I do not clearly see a twin 3" gun (USN post war, like Haida) as this mount is facing forward as per the twin 4 inch gun originally there and it seems to have an open turret around it also like the twin 4 inch gun. It ASW conversion took place during 1949-50 (MacPherson).

As to your original question, I did this model a year ago. Darren's instructions recommends Model Master Euro grey for the hull (vertical) and Humbrol light grey for the deck and superstructure (I used model Master light grey I think as I couldn't find Humbrol). It is a very nice two tone paint scheme and the current colour was not used until 1955.

Best Wishes
George

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:20 pm 

Thanks for the input about the Nootka. I was on the Haida once when it was located in Toronto. I should have a couple pictures of the Nootka from better angles. I have the cruise book for the Lowrey and they have a couple black and white photos of the Nootka that were taken by the ship photographer when my Dad took his picture. I have to scan them first.

TJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:27 pm 

The Hawk Graphics decal set D7003 http://www.hawk-graphics.com/images/dec ... umbers.jpg has numbers that will work for the Nootka.

Nootka was unique among the Canadian Tribals. She was launched with 2 twin 40mm bofors on the aft house. You can see the shields in the photo as they faced aft. She was upgraded in stages, first with Squids and then the twin 40s removed and the 3"50 added. This photo seems to be the in between stage. Her final config was pretty much identical to the other tribals upgraded.

I have a Photo CD available of the Haida in the final config. http://www.resinshipyard.com/pages/photo_cd_list.html

Regards,
Darren

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:21 pm 

Very good Darren, that explains the shield, the second refit was in 1953-54 where it would have got the twin 3", TJ's photo was taken in 1952, and the first refit was in 1949-50. MacPherson's photo taken in 1960 has the twin 3".

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:05 pm 

gerryw wrote:
Does anyone have drawings/photos whatever, of the Tribal class ships of the 1960s? I have the plan and profile drawings from Model Boats many years ago, but don't have the sections.

Cheers,

Gerry

You can check out the website of the (former) "Canadian Tribal Class Destroyer Association" (http://jproc.ca/cta/), which has a fair few photos and media. I'd also recommend you find yourself a copy of the 1961 film "The Great Impostor", which stars Tony Curtis and is based on the all-to-often-uncreditted Ferdinand Waldo Demara (Wikipedia, CFB Esquimalt
Naval & Military Museum
(at HMCS Naden, Victoria, BC, Canada - by far and large, the SMALLEST museum I've ever been to, but fantastic displays nonetheless). Although he (Demara) had actually served on the HMCS Cayuga, the film itself was shot on the HMCA Athabascan II ("AthaB") with the interior shots filmed on the HMCS Micmac as the Cayuga was undergoing a refit at the time of filming. Oddly enough, my Dad was a radio operator on the Cayuga during Demara's stint-in-blue - apparently "Doc Cyr" was a nice guy!

In addition, there is a brilliant model of the Cayuga at the Esquimalt/Naden museum, and I know I've got about 30 photos of it laying around somewhere. I don't know the scale off the top of my head, but it's quite large (perhaps a metre in length, although the last I saw it was about 6 years ago). Upon looking for photos online of it, I came across this, which is another fantastic rendition.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:07 pm 

hello friend, I am Brazilian and I am looking for plans years the Iroquois destroyers with or without the upgrades, you could tell me or I seder these plans /

Admhawk wrote:
Hi Tim,

I went by the photos on the WEM site. I could see the distinctive angled body on the armoured set, but I couldn't see it on the unarmoured set. It looked like there was no enclosure at all. Do you have a photo showing a glass cover?

If you look at Page 241 of British BB's Raven and Roberts, you see a reasonable photo of Valiant with the twin MK V mounts on B turret. They look the same as the DD mounts, no glass cover.

I don't have the 1/700 sets from WEM (1/700 isn't my scale) so I may be wrong, but from what I've seen, the MK V twin mount is powered and has an enclosure. I haven't seen it called armoured in any of the references I have. According to this site, http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_2cm-70_mk234.htm There is a MK VC, but I don't know what the difference is.

Unfortunately, it's not a well covered weapon in my references, so I can only go by what I see.

Regards,
Darren

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:41 pm 

The Hobby Center in Ottawa sells Vanguard plans. http://hobcen.wordpress.com/vanguard-plans/

Haida is available in WWII or 1963. Good drawings. Lots of details.

Regards,
Darren

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:14 pm 

One for this thread ...

Well during this last week's trip to NARA I found exactly ONE non-USN ship in 40 80-G boxes. That is weird, normally I run into several. Actually, I saw several views of Training Sailing Ship ESMERALDA, but I didn't need to add any more images of her.

Here is HMAS BATAAN from a view off Korea in August 1952.

Post subject: HMS Nubian
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:16 pm 

In Volume 1 of Alan Raven's Royal Navy Camouflage series he has an illustration of HMS Nubian on page 49. He states that the camo scheme shown was worn from January through May 1941 yet the pennant number illustrated is F36. It is my understanding that the Flag Superior F was replaced by G before June of 1940. Is anyone aware of a photo of Nubian in this 1941 camo scheme with the pennant number F36? I would like to build the WEM 1/350 Tribal in something other than overall AP507b but keep the original armament fit.
Thanks,
Doug

Sorry, I thought I added this to the Tribal class thread!

Last edited by Timmy C on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merged into the Tribal thread for you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:28 am 

"Is anyone aware of a photo of Nubian in this 1941 camo scheme with the pennant number F36?"

Quick answer: yes, but in late 1940 - see attached.

Long answer:

The Jan 41 date is doubtless another error by his editor/printer. Nubian was in the scheme approximately shown on page 49 of Vol 1 by early October 1940 at which time she did indeed still wear the Flag superior F (they seem to have been slower to change the letters in the Med Fleet).

The drawing depicts a scheme close to but not identical to a photo and film I have of Nubian sporting F36 at that time (Oct 40) and later photos at Crete (Spring 41) sporting G36. They show one single panel at the bow not the split one drawn, and a range of small differences in the dark panels' edge angles etc - see:

https://picasaweb.google.com/dickfalmou ... abdodyeOQ#

Although similar, the scheme was not identical on the starboard side.

Note also that, contrary to what is stated, she in fact retained her tripod mainmast aft during her 1940-41 stint in the Med (it was not removed until her Bombay repair late 1941-42). Nor did she have type 286 radar 1940-41 - again this was fitted at Bombay. At her foremasthead 1940-41 was the diamond shaped DF antenna.

Attachments:
Nubian f alex.jpg
Nubian f alex.jpg [ 19.43 KiB | Viewed 5809 times ]

Last edited by dick on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:59 am 

To add to Dick's post, a photo of NUBIAN after her Crete damage also shows that she retained her original main armament (8 x 4.7") at that time; replacement of "X" mounting by a twin 4" HA/LA took place whilst she was at Bombay for repairs.
Tim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 pm 

Thank you to dick and tjstoneman. I think I now have enough information to make a reasonable accurate model of Nubian.
Doug

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:52 pm 

Couple of further small details: Nubian was serving with the 14th DF at that time so it would not have been two narrow black bands on the aft funnel as stated (p49) but a red one over a black one; the forward funnel band would have been red as well (not black).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next