The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 am 

I found yet another interesting resource:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/rep ... #contents1

This a report on submarine damage from WW2. It's an interesting read on it's own, but it also contains many great pictures showing battle damage and what's in between the deck and pressure hull on Gato and Balao boats.

And another homemade video walkthrough of the Silversides that I found on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2DGb5-YaMY

Current Project: 1/200 Bismarck

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:54 pm 

hello everyone. Need some help from the experts on Gato Subs. I have one of Revell's 1/72 Gato subs and was looking on the internet for history of some of the subs. My question is do I have to stick with the four subs that the decals come with the kit, Flasher, Cobia, Growler and Silversides. I ran across the history of the Grunion and was wondering is it possible to build it out of the revell kit? I do have White Ensign Models P.E. along with Eduard P.E. What else would a person need to do the Grunion? Dan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:11 pm 

It is possible to build other submarines from the kit, but some work will need to be done for most of them due to the changes that happened both over time and due to different production yards. USS Grunion was lost early in the war, so she lacked many of the changes the kit reflects. Unfortunately, the main site I start out on for looking up photos (Navsource.org) is currently down, so I can't speak for certain, but you will most likely need a different sail, as the earlier fits had a taller sail with more protection that was later cut down to reduce the silhouette. You might check some of the offerings at Iron Bottom Sound.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:28 pm 

Thanks Tracy. I did finally get to surf navsoucre and found a lot of info. I have also been following Channell build and looking to do most of the mods he has done. I did get a email back from Mario and in order to do the Grunion, to use his style 3 early as built set and will also have to scratch build the stern plane guard. Maybe for my first Gato sub will stick to one of the ones that can be built straight from the kit with PE on it, and my second Gato do it into the Grunion. Also on the Grunion since it was a very early sub probably have teak deck instead of the metal deck. Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:25 pm 

smokey2 wrote:
hello everyone. Need some help from the experts on Gato Subs. I have one of Revell's 1/72 Gato subs and was looking on the internet for history of some of the subs. My question is do I have to stick with the four subs that the decals come with the kit, Flasher, Cobia, Growler and Silversides. I ran across the history of the Grunion and was wondering is it possible to build it out of the revell kit? I do have White Ensign Models P.E. along with Eduard P.E. What else would a person need to do the Grunion? Dan

smokey2 wrote:
Thanks Tracy. I did finally get to surf navsoucre and found a lot of info. I have also been following Channell build and looking to do most of the mods he has done. I did get a email back from Mario and in order to do the Grunion, to use his style 3 early as built set and will also have to scratch build the stern plane guard. Maybe for my first Gato sub will stick to one of the ones that can be built straight from the kit with PE on it, and my second Gato do it into the Grunion. Also on the Grunion since it was a very early sub probably have teak deck instead of the metal deck. Dan

It would take some fairly decent scratchbuilding skills but to me it doesn't appear like it would be too difficult to add the prewar shape onto Revell fairwater with evergreen strips and plastic sheet...basically just adding what was cut off on the originals. The aftermarket fairwaters are nice, but they cost just as much as the entire Revell kit! :big_eyes: You would also have to delete/move the storage lockers around as well, which wouldn't be too difficult. Revell's fairwater is pretty good quality too.

But if you do the pressure hull/scratchbuilt "see through" deck get ready to pull your hair out! I decided to stick with the Cobia because I (correctly) guessed doing such a mammoth job would quickly drain my patience and willpower, leaving none left to go crazy on a heavily modded fairwater. I didn't go into too much detail on my build log but it was a serious challenge to get everything straight and sturdy on such a big boat with the kit engineering all cut out, and I'm slowly resigning myself to the fact that all my work is gonna be barely visible anyway (even though it looks pretty cool with no deck on it now!)

One idea would be to compromise....Perhaps cutting out the deck support trusses from the kit deck (like I did, and also what turned out to be the "easy" part of the mod) but leave everything else underneath as-is and just painting it black (saving you the structural work that nobody will see anyway). Then do the entire deck in evergreen strips to represent the teak (a massive job all by itself) and mod the fairwater to it's prewar shape.

Damn, now I want to do it! :heh:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:55 pm 

"It would take some fairly decent scratchbuilding skills but to me it doesn't appear like it would be too difficult to add the prewar shape onto Revell fairwater with evergreen strips and plastic sheet...basically just adding what was cut off on the originals". The stock Cobia fairwater was NOT the as built fairwaters of earlier boats that your thinking it to be. Cobias fairwater was never cut up. The Cobia fairwater is what it was LAUNCHED with. The early Gato's as built enclosed tower i.e Grunion were much LARGER then the revell Cobia fairwater. Grunion was a commercial yard EB, Government yard fairwaters are even more different then revels. . Anything can be done with a lot of work , but It requires more then "basically just adding what was cut off on the originals" Since it is not one of those originals.

Last edited by Mario on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:23 pm 

May I suggest the following excellent reference documents on the changes made in the Gato, Balao & Tench class fleet submarines:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/10idx.htm

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:35 am 

Does anybody know if Riich is planning on releasing a later war version of their 1/200 Gato? Their only release so far is an early 1942 version.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:57 pm 

Hey guys.I just picked up Trumpeters 1944 Gato.I have no plans to super-detail it,but would like to enhance what's in the box.Got any recommendations?

Thanks

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:57 pm 

Hi Guys ,

Would like to do a model of the USS Albacore SS-218 !

Which of the 1/350 AFV Club kits would be appropriate to model her ?

1/350 AFV Club GATO Class Submarine 1941 #73509 or 1/350 AFV Club GATO Class Submarine 1942 #73510

Thanks
JOEY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:59 pm 

What month / year? There is also AFV Club GATO Class Submarine 1943 #73511
This 1943 kit appears to match the gross details for "as lost" given a quick look over her Navsourc epage:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08218.htm

But the 1942 and 1941 kits may work well for "as launched" and early war patrols. Compare details of the kits to the navsource photos.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm 

Tracy is correct; these submarines were constantly refitted and modified during the course of the war. Rather drastic changes were made to the conning tower fairwaters and gun outfitting. You need to find photos of the specific time period you are interested in, and then decide which kit is closest to that configuration.

Compare Albacore's fairwater here:
http://navsource.org/archives/08/206/0821804.jpg in 1942
and here: http://navsource.org/archives/08/218/0821828.jpg in 1944

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 pm 

Hi Tracy & Tom ,

Thanks to you both for the links and info . Probably looking at doing Albacore late in her career so i guess i'll go with the 1943 model . Want to depict her at the time that she sank the IJN Carrier Taiho ! Will have to look up some more pics to be sure .

Thanks
JOEY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:32 am 

Anyone have a diagram or image of the internal structure of a Gato sail?

I have a Iron Bottom Sound resin early Gato sail that is solid and I want to hollow it out and need to get an idea of the internal structure.

I know I'll new to model the main induction valve and something for the conning tower chamber but wanted to see something about the internal sail bracings.

Thanks.

1/400 Mirage Blyskawica (Grom conversion)

1/535 Revell USS New Jersey (from Missouri kit)

1/228 Monogram Skipjack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm 

I have several internal views. Unfortunately, because of the extremely restrictive attachment sizes on this site, I was not able to upload any of them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:59 am 

Thanks for the images, Tom. I really do appreciate it.

The only other image I could use is something that has a clear shot of the torpedo loading mount seen on the early Gatos and Tambor/Gar class boats.

Just want to see what the connections to the deck look like.

Again, I appreciate this very much.

1/400 Mirage Blyskawica (Grom conversion)

1/535 Revell USS New Jersey (from Missouri kit)

1/228 Monogram Skipjack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:52 pm 

Cant seem to (or dont want to) finish my 1/72 Gato........ too much like a family member now...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:28 pm 

krgf15 wrote:
Cant seem to (or dont want to) finish my 1/72 Gato........ too much like a family member now...

I've got the same problem, except my excuse is that I'm scared to paint the thing and don't have anywhere to put it! :whistle:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 pm 

Channell wrote:
krgf15 wrote:

I've got the same problem, except my excuse is that I'm scared to paint the thing and don't have anywhere to put it! :whistle:

:lol_pound: :lol_4: :rolf_3:

On the Bench:
1/720 Italeri CVN-68 ca 1976/77
1/800 ARii 1/800 CV-59 backdating to 1961 (CVA-59)
1/700Trumpy USS Hornet CV-8 "Doolittle Raiders"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:22 pm 

For all of you Fleet Boat fans....

The 1950's television series, the Silent Service, is remembered by those of us of a certain age as our first introduction to the story of the Fleet Subs during WWII. After a half century plus of being locked away in NBC's vaults, and thanks to the efforts of Ray "Olgoat" Stone, retired Chief Torpedoman and submariner extraordinaire and his AFTER BATTERY web site, the episodes are available to view and download.

The episode are divided into two series. here's the link:http://www.olgoat.com/silentserv/dnld.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next