The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:55 am 

Hey guys,

I've been out of modeling since my real early teens. Fast forward 20 years and here I am. This is my first attempt. This probably wasn't the best kit to start on because in my building i've noticed that the details are fairly bad and even on som eof the sprues the molds don't appear to have been set straight and there are offsets in the pieces. But here is a little progress shot of what i've done so far. I wanted to built this kit as it came in box without any expensive addons like brass barrels, PE, etc.

I'm chosing to do a simple light grey color scheme on this. Not really wanting to get drawn into a debate on whether it was appropriate for when she was sunk at Pearl Harbor or not. This is how I wanted it to look as I like the lighter grey better than the darker pacific scheme.

A few things. In addition to the model (my individual kit) being pretty horribly molded i think this is a really old revision. The model has a stamp on it that says 1959. the details aren't real great, but there seems to be a complete ship's worth of parts so I can deal with it. I've also noted that I really need to work on my use of paint when hand brushing. I've run into instances where the paint seems to get sticky while i brush it on and not really coating well, going on more gloopy. think I just need to thin them out. (I'm using the standard Model Master enamels). And I think I need to mostly ditch hand brushing and get setup with an airbrush kit for flatter coverage.

Anyways. Here's a pic of some of the progress so far. I got a little sloppy on the masking job near the front rigging. I apologize for the iphone pic quality. It's all i've got. I do plan on painting the rigging/details and do some weathering eventually.

Attachment:
File comment: pic of the hull.
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG [ 152.16 KiB | Viewed 5575 times ]

So here it is. Progress has been pretty slow the last few weeks due to a shipping delay on some paints that I wasn't able to source locally.

I welcome any advice or tips you guys have to offer.

Dallas, Tx

Working on: Revell 1/426 USS Arizona BB-39

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:20 pm 

Hi Hallis.

I'm working the same kit as well. Here are some of my observations.

Hallis wrote:
in my building i've noticed that the details are fairly bad and even on som eof the sprues the molds don't appear to have been set straight and there are offsets in the pieces.

Yep. I got two "partial" kits off ye olde evil bay and both of them had this problem. And when you get to building the masts with their platforms and fighting tops, and you go to level things out, file down the high sides on all the support bracing. The first time I tried to use the parts as is without really correcting the error and it caused fit problems with the platform pieces and the tow support legs of the tripod. I took the same parts from the other kit and filed down the high side of the support braces and things fit much better.

And you will probably have to either drill out the mounting holes in the gun deck for the main mast's support legs or trim down the mounting pegs on the legs themselves because of the misshapen molding.
Hallis wrote:
I've also noted that I really need to work on my use of paint when hand brushing. I've run into instances where the paint seems to get sticky while i brush it on and not really coating well, going on more gloopy. think I just need to thin them out. (I'm using the standard Model Master enamels). And I think I need to mostly ditch hand brushing and get setup with an airbrush kit for flatter coverage.

Did you wash the kit parts in warm soapy water to remove the mold release agent before you began the build? I use dishwashing soap and old nylon gun cleaning brush. I've found over the years that this step helps tremendously with Model Master paints.

Hope this helps and have fun with the build
Mark B.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:58 pm 

Well the bow is looking good. Hope to see more.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:12 pm 

Hi Shane,

Since this is your first build in two decades, it is wise of you to keep it simple. I think it looks good, but I think everybody will agree that an airbrush saves you a lot of time. If you don't want to invest in an airbrush, you could try a spray can. Good luck!

Cheers
Jeroen

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:21 pm 

I used a rattlecan for the grey on the hull there. Notice how it looks pretty good? ;) But man Testor's Model Master spray paint is ~$6/can. So for a can of a color i'd use a lot of like this grey it is ok. but for something i'd not use as much of i've got bottles. I'll be investing in an airbrush eventually. Just need to save my pennies. Starting next week i'm going to be working from home :woo_hoo: so that will be some money i'll be saving in commute expenses.

Dallas, Tx

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:28 pm 

Brocky wrote:
Did you wash the kit parts in warm soapy water to remove the mold release agent before you began the build? I use dishwashing soap and old nylon gun cleaning brush. I've found over the years that this step helps tremendously with Model Master paints.

Mark I did wash the parts in warm soapy water. I'm going to try thinning the paint slightly and see if that works out better.

In other news my shipment of paint finally came in from HobbyLinc. took almost 2 weeks!!. Not sure why it was delayed so long as everything appeared to be in stock when I ordered. (maybe the online inventory wasn't correct). But I ordered and received:

5-O Ocean Grey
5-N Navy Blue
20-B Weather Deck Blue
5-P Pale Blue Grey
5-L Light Grey
5-H Haze Grey

I think I have most of the basics covered. I also ordered several other things like some spray dull coat, Milliput putty, some AK Rust Wash, etc.

Part of the reason I ordered from Hobby Linc rather than some place like FreeTimeHobbies was because they had everything in stock so I wouldn't have to pay a lot of shipping from several sources. And they were even a bit cheaper.. and also MUCH cheaper than the local retail store. So the wait was ok as it gave me time to work on some masking. And i generally do most of my model work on the weekends.

One additional note: I really need to clean off my desk/workbench. Looks like the Japanese missed the Arizona and blew up the damn workbench because there's junk and supplies EVERYWHERE, lol.

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:52 pm 

I made an excellent discovery. Most of the bad paint behavior and inconsistant finish is largely hidden by matte clearcoat :)

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:09 pm 

Did a little work today. I sprayed some matt clearcoat on the decks and decided to paint the turrets while I had a mind to. Not looking too bad. Still trying to decide if i'm going to attempt to put some bags on the main guns or not. I'd have to make them out of putty if i did. But I do have a block of Milliput sitting here that I just received. However i'm not sure I have the requisite skills to pull it off with any uniformity. lol.

Here a pic of one of the turrets. Just put the base coats down. It'll be far less glossy once I coat it with clear. I decided to use Model Master "Gunship Grey" FS36118 for the top. I've had that bottle on hand for a very long time and it seemed like a good dark grey to use.

Attachment:
File comment: Turret in progress
photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG [ 115.93 KiB | Viewed 5432 times ]

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:36 am 

Nice start.
Hallis wrote:
i'm not sure I have the requisite skills to pull it off with any uniformity.

You have to start somewhere, right? Why not now?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:55 am 

MartinJQuinn wrote:
Nice start.
Hallis wrote:
i'm not sure I have the requisite skills to pull it off with any uniformity.

You have to start somewhere, right? Why not now?

I'll give it a try, And if it doesn't look right I can always remove them. :)

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:01 pm 

Put some preliminary lacquer coats on a few of the pieces that i'm largely done with. Here's a little dry fitting, She's starting to look the business. Still trying to figure out how i'm going to do bags. And also trying to figure out if i want to attempt some weathering or not.

(note: the 5" guns are done but aren't in this pic.)

Pic
Attachment:
File comment: Test Fitting
photo (3).JPG
photo (3).JPG [ 126.25 KiB | Viewed 5388 times ]

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:46 pm 

Looks good Shane. Very clean. :thumbs_up_1:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/users/James-Guard/user-index.html

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:32 am 

I've not done a whole lot of work the last few days. Trying to figure out how i'm going to do some finer details. But not really coming up with any good ideas. Those ropes that are molded into the side of the hull for example. I'm finding that I can't get a really good mask on them for painting. might have to use some kind of liquid masking.

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:47 am 

Great work so far!

Hallis wrote:
I've not done a whole lot of work the last few days. Trying to figure out how i'm going to do some finer details. But not really coming up with any good ideas. Those ropes that are molded into the side of the hull for example. I'm finding that I can't get a really good mask on them for painting. might have to use some kind of liquid masking.

That's one of the things I am looking into on my build. I was able to do the anchor chains and those two things that the cables attach to on the sides of the hull with a fine Sharpe marker but it's not fine enough to do the cables themselves. That liquid masking idea does sound very doable though. Thanks.

Mark B.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:50 am 

Brocky wrote:
Great work so far!

Hallis wrote:

That's one of the things I am looking into on my build. I was able to do the anchor chains and those two things that the cables attach to on the sides of the hull with a fine Sharpe marker but it's not fine enough to do the cables themselves. That liquid masking idea does sound very doable though. Thanks.

Mark B.

A black sharpie is exactly what I used on the anchor chains and the portholes ;)

Update: I did paint and put the superstructure decks together yesterday. Looks ok. I didn't take a picture because I felt those sections by themselves were rather unimpressive. I'll be doing a little work on the masts and the accompanying sections tonight. I'll probably post up some pics of those once i've got them assembled.

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:17 pm 

A questionable attempt at adding some weathering and some darkness to the deck.

I'm not entirely happy with it. Think I like the clean look better. Enjoy this free laugh, on me.

Attachment:
File comment: weathering?
photo (4).JPG
photo (4).JPG [ 129.44 KiB | Viewed 5238 times ]

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:44 pm 

A small blast of primer and I can live with myself once again, lol.

Learning experience, folks. I'm having them. :cool_1: :thumbs_up_1:

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:48 pm 

A nice paint job and some clean building still can make this 60 year old kit look good. Keep at it, looking forward to seeing how she turns out.

Matt

1/350 USS Portland CA-33 1942
1/350 Trumpeter Texas with a twist

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:53 am 

taskforce48 wrote:
A nice paint job and some clean building still can make this 60 year old kit look good. Keep at it, looking forward to seeing how she turns out.

Matt

True story. I've seen some modelers in the gallery make this kit look GREAT. I'm going to be redoing the aft deck and turrets today. And I may work on the masts as well.

Dallas, Tx

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:23 pm 

A lot of bits had been complete in sub assemblies. Finally started slapping them all together. She's finally starting to look the business. Still have the boats, catapults, cranes, boarding ladders, and a few other thingies to finish up and stick on but she's finally starting to look like a warship. Will probably be mostly done tomorrow evening.

Here's a crappy iPhone pic.

Attachments:
File comment: almost done
photo (5).JPG
photo (5).JPG [ 133.92 KiB | Viewed 5171 times ]

Dallas, Tx

Report this post