The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You guys........
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 pm 

Well, what can I say?
I had planned to post some pictures here of our first ever boat build, a Billings kit of the Zwarte Zee, a very nice looking ocean going tug built around 1962. Then I spent an exremely long time reading through and looking at the pictures posted here and I figured, you know what? Lets not.
The skills and craftsmanship displayed here is just mind boggling and makes my efforts with the 1=90 scale ZZ so amateurish it is unbeleivable, and want to congratulate all of you on some fantastic looking small scale work that must need the patience of seven saints.
Amazing work guys, keep it up and when I do have the confidence to post some pictures here, it will be of a scratchbuild masterpiece such as the ones shown on this forum, so keep an eye open in around 25 years time for my pictures.
Really well done to all of you!!

Report this post
 Post subject: Re: You guys........
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:45 pm 

They're supposed to be inspirational, not depressing!

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:05 pm 

Highly inspirational and not at all depressing, I find it staggering that this level of model building is possible, and it really makes me want to move onto scratchbuilding even more, so the reason I am not going to post a kit build picture set here is simply that I just don't think it would be of much interest compared to the feast of craftsmanshippiness available here!! :smallsmile:

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:08 pm 

Well, you know most of the builds here are from kits, right? It's just a matter of adding details, whether from aftermarket manufacturers or scratchbuilt, that brings them up to a higher level of awe.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:23 pm 

I had realised some of them were from kits as shown in some of the pictures, but after looking through them I still find it fascinating.
I printed out some free plans I found on the net and began a 'dry run' with a scratchbuilt model of Hermes, another tug, and its actually going quite well now that I have figured out how to read the plans, which was my overall intention.
I was initially inspired to attempt a scratchbuild with materials such as card stock, styrene and any other stuff I could find lying around by an amazing build with paper by I think he was Rick, a young vietnamese guy who really did some fantastic building with mostly paper plastic and sprue.
Sprue by the way is one of the best new thing to do that I have found anywhere, its so versatile its brilliant!
Hmm, ok, so I have gone off on a bit of a tangent there but the upshot is that this forum is now my favourite place on the net to hang out, and when I have made something that I feel is worthy, or almost worthy of a spot on these pages then I shall do it post haste.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:53 pm 

So let's see this Zwarte Zee of yours. Immediately. :)

Dallas, Tx

Working on: Revell 1/426 USS Arizona BB-39

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:24 pm 

Ned,

Search my username. Go back to the first "in progress" builds I put out. They were... not good. I also have three kits I started, messed up, and promptly boxed before moving on.

Now, look at the Maryland. I am by no means an expert, but the worst I do is at least competent. You will find your journey in much the same way. Post in progress builds. Ask for feedback and be ready to deal with criticism. Develop patience, and make sure you're using the right tools. This hobby is an exercise in patience and planning, nothing more.

If you EVER need help, always ask. We're here to help and will ask the same of you. :)

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:47 am 

Yeah, I believe you should show it. Every build has a value. One value of yours is intrincic, it's very RARE over here. I don't remember seeing any of these Billing Boats kits being built over here, so even if it's not built a perfect level, it'll have a value in showing people what a Billing Boats kit looks like and how it all comes together in large scale. It can be an inspiration to others!

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:31 am 

Post your builds, I'm posting mine warts an all and the information and advice I'm getting far outways the thought that squillions of others are looking at it thinking, gee wat a piece a crap. If its something thats not built very often thats even more reason to post, chances are you'll be inspiring one or two others into digging into their stash for the same kit and having a go, when before they were just a little bit unsure to start it.
thats my 2cents and a couple of glass's of reds worth

ohh yeah

which Hermes??????????
maybe you should just show us in a WIP :cool_1:
Cheers Callum

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:19 am 

So it seems I underestimated the level of interest..... will add some pictures in the picture post section, it will give me something to do on the days I am not building, and also can maybe pick up on any hints and tips you guys may have for me.
I have to say that as this is my first ever forum that I have taken part in as a member, this is a very friendly and helpful place to be and I am glad I joined in the chatter, thanks very much to all of you.

@ forlornhope, the Hermes was the first tug boat to be used in Hamburg, it was built in 1923 and was sunk in 1944 in St. Malo, France. She was later recovered and repaired and was still used right up to 1974.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:37 am 

Check out the Arizona build in my signiture. It's very noobish. And this was worked on just a month or two ago.

Dallas, Tx

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:21 am 

Hey Hallis, thats a really nice job on a really nice vessel, that is one of my favourites, and I think maybe would be a good one for me.
What I want to know is this....
When you choose your kit and have it in your hands, how exactly do you go about planning and putting into action the improvements to the kit that the manufacturer hasn't done so well, or even missed altogether or am I missing something here? It seems to me that you would be the ideal person to ask but I know that on this forum there are some extremely accomplished builders, so please guys feel free to chip in.
My overall intention is to move more into scratchbuilding, but feel that beginning in the kit section to build my skills would be a better plan to begin with.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am 

Hi Hallis, read all of your posts relating to Arizona, and you have already answered the question I asked in my last post, so thanks again, no need to repost.....

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:09 pm 

Hi all, just so you know, I have added a few pics of the Zwarte Zee in picture post.
Hope you enjoy these and the rest of the series....

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:40 pm 

Glad I can be of at least some assistance :) I didn't really bother too much with correcting issues. I probably should have put a little more into it but I did to some minor reshaping as noted in my thread. All in all the kit wasn't that bad. and a HECK of a lot better than Revell's Missouri kit.

As far as build planning. That is probably better asked of somebody else as I need help in that area as well. Plastic kits usually come with a set of instructions with a sequence of assembly, but i've found that it's not always best to do it that way. Others can probably be of better help with that answer. but some people i've seen nearly assemble the entire kit before starting to paint. (mostly on resin stuff though).

Hopefully after a few more kits i'll start adding some better details, such as more accurate rigging (I still have yet to add rigging to Arizona). I just need to work on my general skills such as the actual painting, trimming, filling, gluing, etc.

Dallas, Tx

Report this post