The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:57 pm 

I have had very good luck with Freetime via the mail. They are my first stop when I go looking for something. I live pretty far from a hobby shop so I use them for paint and supplies every now and again since shipping can be less than the two gallons of gas to get over to Melbourne. Brandon is very responsive on email as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:20 am 

Imlaam, I have the Aoshima Fuso and the Flyhawk Superdetail set for it. I'd like to invest in a Fujimi Fuso and build that, either the 1935 or 1938. I'm keen to know how the Flyhawk Superdetail will combine with any of the Fujimi Fusos. How is it going with your build? Also, anyone else out there trying to combine Flyhawk and Fujimi Fuso parts?

Many thanks! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:31 am 

Flyhawk's PE set works around 70% on all 4 1/700 IJN Fuso from Fujimi(1935, 1938, 1941 and 1944).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:39 am 

And anyone has anything to recommend for a IJN Yamashiro PE set in 1/700, for which company (Aoshima or Fujimi) does not matter. Thanks in advance. :thumbs_up_1:
Edit: Oh just found a review of Flyhawk 1/700 IJN Yamashiro PE set.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:56 pm 

Mr. Atma,

I did a search for a possible answer to my question so if this has already been covered already, my apologies as I did not find it.

Could one use Aoshima's Yamashiro 1942 kit to make a 1944 version? I bought the 1942 kit from my local model store which had a huge sale, assuming I could just use Tamiya's light vessel ordnance set just to add the additional AA positions that may be missing.

Furthermore, if my local model store only has a the wooden deck for a 1944 Fuso, could that be superimposed on to the 1942 Yamashiro kit?

Any information or guidance from you would be greatly appreciated.

Atma wrote:
First of all wrong stern planking, wrong turret tops, inaccurate funnel base and the tripod in the pagoda was oversimplistic and many deck items are just copied from IJN Fuso(both kits on Aoshima release use same deck parts). Plus some inaccurate rangefinders on the pagoda.

As you can see from this post, Aoshima is also trying to correct those mistake in the 1942 IJN Yamashiro retake version, that is out in August. Still rangefinders and turret tops are wrong. And the various supports of the Pagoda is better molded on Fujimi release.
Atma wrote:
The extra/new pars on the upcoming 1942 IJN Yamashiro by Aoshima:
As you can see, its not a completely new tooling. Just the parts pictured are retooled.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:09 am 

" Yamashiro 1942 kit to make a 1944 version?"
Both Aoshima and Fujimi's 1942 and 1944 versions have small but crucial differences in the pagoda(besides the great augmentation in AA guns.). But it could be made if you manage to transform a 1942 Pagoda to a 1944 standards, it could be done. In my opinion is not worth it.
"The wooden deck for a 1944 Fuso, could that be superimposed on to the 1942 Yamashiro kit?"
Simple put, no.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:58 am 

Atma wrote:
" Yamashiro 1942 kit to make a 1944 version?"
Both Aoshima and Fujimi's 1942 and 1944 versions have small but crucial differences in the pagoda(besides the great augmentation in AA guns.). But it could be made if you manage to transform a 1942 Pagoda to a 1944 standards, it could be done. In my opinion is not worth it.
"The wooden deck for a 1944 Fuso, could that be superimposed on to the 1942 Yamashiro kit?"
Simple put, no.

In that case, anyone willing to trade?

I have the 1/700 1942 retake Yamashiro from Aoshima. If anyone has the Yamashiro 1944 retake version from either Aoshima or Fujimi, I am willing to trade and pay for shipping.

The box is open, but the spruces are still wrapped in plastic wrap and thus it is still untouched and unbuilt.

Pictures of the kit will be available via personal message for anyone who asks.

"You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something in your life."- Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:03 pm 

Timmy C wrote:
For those with the Fujimi 1/700 Yamashiro 1944 Kit #s 72/431123, there's a slight error in the instructions:

The callout for Y3 should instead be for Y4.

Gents,

Seems I will most probably just be selling my Aoshima Yamashiro 1942 kit on Ebay when I get to it.

Still, for those of you who have the 1944 version of Yamashiro, which is the superior kit? The Fujimi or Aoshima version? I found both versions on Ebay.

Looking on Timmy's post above among older posts, it seems the Fujimi kit has at least one error.

Your thoughts and feedback would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:44 am 

Timmy's post is about instructions error, not an accuracy/fitting error.
The Fujimi version is superior in ever aspect compared to Aoshima.
For example the detail of the pagoda is amazing(keeping in mind that is a 1/700 scale).
Is a newer kit after all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:45 pm 

Atma wrote:
For example the detail of the pagoda is amazing(keeping in mind that is a 1/700 scale).

Thank you Atma for your feedback.

Still, have you ever built Aoshima's original 1/700 waterline Yamashiro kit? Just wondering which year it is.

Here's an ebay link to what I mean.

The Aoshima section of our gallery views doesn't seem to have a review on this kit yet so that's why I'm posting this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:03 pm 

CCGSailor wrote:
Atma wrote:

Thank you Atma for your feedback.

Still, have you ever built Aoshima's original 1/700 waterline Yamashiro kit? Just wondering which year it is.

Here's an ebay link to what I mean.

The Aoshima section of our gallery views doesn't seem to have a review on this kit yet so that's why I'm posting this.

The ebay ship in your link is by now standards a bath toy. Dosnt worth it in my opinion. Aoshima have retooled those old kits and they where good 10 years ago, Aoshima again partial re-tooled them to fix some "inaccuracies" 1 year ago.
But the ultimate IJN Fuso class is the new released IJN Fuso and IJN Yamashiro from Fujimi in 1/700(3 version for IJN Yamashiro a 1938, 1941 and 1944, and 4 version for IJN Fuso a 1935, 1938, 1941 and 1944). There is also a 1/350 variants from Fujimi.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:36 pm 

Bath toy or not, is that older Aoshima kit supposed to be the Yamashiro in 1944 configuration or an older one?

The Ebay ad description does not say.

I probably will probably buy the Fujimi Yamashiro 1944 kit as you recommend, but I am just curious from which year this older, Aoshima Yamashiro kit is supposed to depict.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:32 am 

CCGSailor wrote:
Bath toy or not, is that older Aoshima kit supposed to be the Yamashiro in 1944 configuration or an older one?

The Ebay ad description does not say.

I probably will probably buy the Fujimi Yamashiro 1944 kit as you recommend, but I am just curious from which year this older, Aoshima Yamashiro kit is supposed to depict.

Is an early war configuration.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:56 pm 

Atma wrote:
First of all wrong stern planking, wrong turret tops, inaccurate funnel base and the tripod in the pagoda was oversimplistic and many deck items are just copied from IJN Fuso(both kits on Aoshima release use same deck parts). Plus some inaccurate rangefinders on the pagoda.

As you can see from this post, Aoshima is also trying to correct those mistake in the 1942 IJN Yamashiro retake version, that is out in August. Still rangefinders and turret tops are wrong. And the various supports of the Pagoda is better molded on Fujimi release.

From your older post above, it seems to me that there is no redeeming value in Aoshima's 1942 Yamashiro retake kit that I have either. :frown_2:

It's gonna take a long time for me to sell it on Ebay, seeing how many people are also trying to sell the same Aoshima Yamashiro or even earlier versions of it online (they all probably read your posts on the subject here). :big_grin:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:19 pm 

Atma,

One last question: I take it there's not very much difference between Fujimi's 1941 Yamashiro and Aoshima's 1942 one?

Just considering changing my mind on selling the Aoshima Yamashiro 1942 retake kit I have.

So the Aoshima 1942 kit is closer to how the ship would have looked if the Japanese battleship line managed to meet the US Navy battleship line in the climactic "Kantai Kessen/艦隊決戦" (classic decisive big gun battle) imagined by naval planners on both sides? (e.g. War Plan Orange and if Pearl Harbor had gone differently, etc.)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:24 am 

The Aoshima IJN Yamashiro is like this one:
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/ijn/yamashiro-700-bv/bb-index.html
Is a IJN Yamashiro after the mid 30's modernization with double 25 mm AA , so its an early WWII configuration, that means a 1941-1943 time period.

Fujimi's 1941 and Aoshima's 1942 1/700 IJN Yamashiro is the same time period model, just Fujimi's IJN Yamashiro is more accurate/better cast. Dont get confused with the 1941 and 1942 tag, is the same time period in general. Fujimi is also producing a 1938 version, the 1938 version is missing an AA gun at the face of the pagoda.And both companies also produce a 1944 version that is actually a 1942 version with augmented AA guns and radars and minor changes in the pagoda.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:34 pm 

Does anyone at this thread think that some of the particular mistakes mentioned before, which I bolded below, with the Aoshima 1942 Yamashiro 1942 retake kit can be corrected?

What if I use Skywave's Japanese ship equipment/parts set to correct the turret tops and rangefinders? or the Tamiya heavy vessel ordnance parts set?

I am considering building the 1942 Aoshima Yamashiro kit I have instead of selling it. Considering the number of people on Ebay also trying to sell the Aoshima Yamashiro kits, it doesn't look like I can sell it, so therefore I'm thinking I can still make the best with what I've bought originally.

Atma wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:46 am 

The problem with Aoshima retake version is still the not so accurate Pagoda and funnel base. Still if you can find the Skywave Japanesae equipment set cause is a bit obscure nowdays. Your friend here is ebay, you replace the wrong turrets that Aoshima is offering.
The Fujimi kit offer better detail overal on the whole ship, but keep in mind that Fujimi's IJN Yamashiro Pagoda is one of the most complicated 1/700 plastic kits.
Anyway you will be fine with the Skywave main guns and I will suggest using the Fine Molds IJN Fuso Nano-Dread series if you can find one, on ebay for example.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10196133

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 am 

Also, Fujimi is offering the correct location and the correct type of boat davits used by IJN Yamashiro.
Check this site Fujimi's instruction for IJN Yamashiro as a guide for your Aoshima's IJN Yamashiro to correct the boat davits:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10184507

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:07 am 

Atma wrote:
The problem with Aoshima retake version is still the not so accurate Pagoda and funnel base. Still if you can find the Skywave Japanesae equipment set cause is a bit obscure nowdays. Your friend here is ebay, you replace the wrong turrets that Aoshima is offering.
The Fujimi kit offer better detail overal on the whole ship, but keep in mind that Fujimi's IJN Yamashiro Pagoda is one of the most complicated 1/700 plastic kits.
Anyway you will be fine with the Skywave main guns and I will suggest using the Fine Molds IJN Fuso Nano-Dread series if you can find one, on ebay for example.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10196133

Thank you a great deal for your feedback here. I highly appreciate it and will apply it to the Yamashiro kit I have.

So if I use the Skywave guns on the Yamashiro, the Aoshima kit's unused, wrong, main guns aren't good at all for other kits?

Slight off-topic...did you ever build a model of the Norwegian warships Norge and Eidsvold?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 23  Next