The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:15 pm 

Mucho provided a sketch of the box previously for me.

Attachments:
ASIx0561_01 .jpg
ASIx0561_01 .jpg [ 89.36 KiB | Viewed 5173 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:27 pm 

for all concerned,
Having been examining details of camouflage schemes of IJN YB1 &YB2 ships and Kure ships,it dawned upon me cruiser TONE was painted in yellow color after June 29th 1945. A telegram order from Kure descrives the color. Idzumo was to deliver yellow paints to Tone,Oyodo and some other ships.

BR
M.Sasaki

Attachments:
ASITone camouflage.jpg
ASITone camouflage.jpg [ 135.51 KiB | Viewed 5152 times ]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:27 pm 

I would think the yellow would be close to German panzer Yellow??? To match the sand and earth around Itajima??

1/350 Shimakaze
1/350 Sharnhorst Dragon
1/350 Belfast

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:00 am 

Thanks for sharing this wealth of information, Mucho and Dan, much appreciated :smallsmile:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:40 am 

the post is deleted ,since it´s overlapped with another one

Last edited by Mutsuo Sasaki on Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:23 am 

Mutsuo Sasaki wrote:
sirpaul wrote:
I would think the yellow would be close to German panzer Yellow??? To match the sand and earth around Itajima??

Yea, the color would be stronger than german panzer yellow color; According to the ijn official color scheme rules mustard yellow was used,chrome yellow,too. for rdsaplala; you´re welcome. I think Dan and I would be able to provide with some more info until we run out of ém one day.

I think yellow color from a distance is to help visually disrupt shapes ,contours, lines of part of ships and/or it´s weapons painted in dark ijn grey. There was one story from an ex-ijn crew saying that a certain IJN ship was painted in yellow color at the Yellow Sea,though.The latter is another one.

So, the use of yellow color on Tone and Oyodo has nothning to do with the scenic color of Etajima area, March-June-August ,1945.

br
/mucho,

Last edited by Mutsuo Sasaki on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:42 pm 
Thank you Mucho and Dan. It's amazing the new information found on these ships that have been gone for almost 70 years.

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:48 am 
Ed Roth wrote:
Thank you Mucho and Dan. It's amazing the new information found on these ships that have been gone for almost 70 years. Ed

-------------
you´re welcome, Ed Fortunately some ijn ship documents & drawings turned out to be not burned out;some had kept them over many decades as in the case of drawings from Sasebo IJN Navy Yard.
Today i took the liberty of dealing with degaussing cable of TONE and CHIKUMA since it has not been known for many decades after the war´s end. In the course of time it dawned upon me that the electricity came from a newly-built el. distrubutor inside the lower bridge,i tried and make a rough sketch of how the cable and it´s outlet should look like. I did borrow a nice image of Tone kitmodel,1/350, from here.
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=35028&start=200

br
M.Sasaki aka mucho,

Will post a pic (=a rough sketch)later, as i am unable do do this now....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:43 pm 

Ed Roth wrote:
Thank you Mucho and Dan. It's amazing the new information found on these ships that have been gone for almost 70 years. Ed

You´re welcome, Ed Fortunately some ijn ship documents & drawings turned out to be not burned out;some had kept them over many decades as in the case of drawings from Sasebo IJN Navy Yard.
Today i took the liberty of dealing with degaussing cable of TONE and CHIKUMA since it has not been known for many decades after the war´s end. In the course of time it dawned upon me that the electricity came from a newly-built el. distrubutor inside the lower bridge area(precisely from Saijyo-kanpan area),i tried and make a rough sketch of how the cable and it´s outlet should look like.To this I did borrow a nice image of Tone kitmodel,1/350, from here. = viewtopic.php?f=48&t=35028&start=200

br
M.Sasaki
aka mucho,

Being a novice to this forum, I quite diden´t understand why I was forced? to post(without the attached image) as guest in the previous same post. I´d appareciate if someone would advise me of typical cause(s) for this embarassement, so i could avoid the same next time when ...

Attachments:
Tone degaussing cable & outlet.jpg
Tone degaussing cable & outlet.jpg [ 112.8 KiB | Viewed 5072 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:14 pm 

that's very interesting!

I believed that degaussing cables have being widelly removing during very last years of WWII...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:58 pm 

blacman wrote:
that's very interesting!

I believed that degaussing cables have being widelly removing during very last years of WWII...

hi,yeah
The cable was removed.
What I wanna point out is, one can narrowly see trace or shadow of the thicker outlet cable part only. It should stick out from the upper part of the bulkhead wall. This ought to match the place seen on Chikuma´s starboard 1943 and info abt. degaussing cable arrangement plan made at Maizuru Navy Yard, 1941-probable.

M.Sasaki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:14 pm 

Mucho, you must have logged out accidentally when posting the photo. Nice work on that schematic overlay, btw.

Here is the photo of Chikuma that Mucho is referencing - you can just make out the degaussing cable lead on the bottom, center left.

Attachments:
Chikuma.jpg
Chikuma.jpg [ 66.56 KiB | Viewed 5050 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:25 am 

Mutsuo Sasaki wrote:
Dan K wrote:
Mucho, you must have logged out accidentally when posting the photo. Nice work on that schematic overlay, btw.
Here is the photo of Chikuma that Mucho is referencing - you can just make out the degaussing cable lead on the bottom, center left.

Thank you, Dan ,I see the light now. :smallsmile:
As I recollect, the Chikuma photo was first introduced on a then Rengo Kantai Association journal of Nerima,Toky some 25-28 years ago,I´ve been bearing this info in mind since,so i had thought other members/modellers of Tone model would have followed the suit. As a matter of fact looking at Gakken Tone 1/100 and other Tone models in towns and the world is a bit shocking,;since they all,including modelkit manufacturers,have failed to check the Chikuma photo or other materials(if any) to have the outlet cable lead expressed on their models.

Chikuma´s cable outlet has since inspired me into searching where on the hull battleship Hyuga,cruiser Furutaka and Aoba/Kinugasa had their outlet cables. I think I´ve found Hyuga´s outlet only,as of now.

(Takao class´s is already found some 10-11 years ago by the guy called mucho.However,none in the homeland seems to get interested in it, I stopped introducing/talking about Takao´s any more) :cool_1:

br
M.Sasaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:16 pm 

This is for us IJN fans (particularly the TONE crowd) to salivate over and over again. Superb workmanship and attention to detail. This Tamiya 1/350 model build is right up there amongst the Best in the world, enjoy..........

http://www.themworkshop.com/MGALLERY201 ... g_tone.htm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:00 am 

f14dtomcat wrote:
This is for us IJN fans (particularly the TONE crowd) to salivate over and over again. Superb workmanship and attention to detail. This Tamiya 1/350 model build is right up there amongst the Best in the world, enjoy..........

http://www.themworkshop.com/MGALLERY201 ... g_tone.htm

Very very impressive Tamiya model, indeed.
Many hats off to the author.

cheers,
Mutsuo S.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21 pm 

Agreed. Very impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:24 pm 

Are there any dedicated detail sets available for the Tamiya Chikuma? I haven't found any and I'm assuming I'll need to use either the Eduard or the Lion Roar sets for the Tamiya Tone. Would one or the other be more appropriate for the Chikuma, which I understand is in an early war configuration versus late war for the Tone?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:23 pm 

I'm not aware of any PE sets as of yet for Chikuma. So, yes, substituting the Tone set is your best bet for now. Extraneous PE, for sure but.......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:42 pm 

Eduard is releasing a set for the 1/350 Chikuma in January: http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljlist/?gb= ... reCode=nav

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:14 am 

Thanks, Dan. I was about to order the Tone set so you saved me some serious heartburn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next