The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:12 pm 

A quick intro, my name is Adam Baker (obviously), and I work professionally as a 3D CAD designer for a company that manufactures OEM & aftermarket heat exchanges for the auto industry, as well as medium & heavy vehicles such as semi trucks, and we also do products for motorcycle & offroad vehicle applications, and we do some military work as well.

Last year I decided to take on freelance design work as a means to make extra money, and it just happened that I started doing it for model's, which is my favorite hobby, so two of the things I enjoy the most, are making me money, haha.

All of my work is currently done using Solidworks 2013

Thought I'd share a project I'm working on.

The Warrior (ex Minister) class missile boat is based off the Israeli Sa'ar (Reshef) class missile boat. At its peak, there are 9 ships of this class active w/ the SAN, but now only 2 remain, and are being converted from missile boats to coastal patrol & intercept craft.

Armament consists of 2 76mm Oto Malera guns, 6 Skorpion Missiles in rigidly mounted launchers, and 2 20mm guns located on the aft platform behind the bridge.

I guess I'll just show my process so far.

I prefer to work in 1:1 if I can, so I start out by laying out the full size length, beam & draft.

Once I get the sizing figured out, I'll pull the drawings into Solidworks to give me something to work off of.

Side View

Top View

At the bow end I will put the hull line drawing as well, but i dont have a separate image of that.

Once all the drawings are laid out, I will start tracing out the hull shape on the top & side views, to give an outline for creating the hull shape. Once thats done, I start laying out the shape of hte hull.

Once the creation of the hull lines was complete and I had the guide curves I needed, I started lofting surfaces to get the hull.

I'm still learning to use the surfacing tools in Solidworks, but I'm finding that it works great for creating the complex geometry used in boat hulls. My first attempts at creating a hull using solids didnt work well, and thats when I started using the surfacing tools.

Once the hull half was created it, I mirrored it and created a surface at the aft end, as well as the surface for the deck, and then had the program stitch all the surfaces out of it and then convert it a solid model, and amazingly it worked on the first try, I was very surprised. I figured I'd have to make a bunch of changes to get the conversion to work.

And now to the point I'm at now. I've started the basic construction of the bridge. Unfortunately I dont have a bow shot of the bridge, so I'm just having to make an educated guess as to its exact shape.

So far I have approximately 7.5 hrs worth of work into the modeling.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:17 pm 

Nice work! Interesting choice of subjects as well.

There is a classic non-fiction book about the Israeli prototype: "The Boats of Cherbourg."

http://www.amazon.com/Boats-Cherbourg-S ... +cherbourg

Michael

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:10 pm 

Thanks. My client chose the subject.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:53 pm 

Just a small update. Haven't made much progress over the last few weeks, but the last couple of days I've put in a few hours and managed to make some pretty good progress.

At the end of the first update, I had started working on forming the bridge, but I wasn't happy w/ how it was going, so I deleted all of it and started over. Initially I was forming everything from solids, and making cuts & extrusions where needed, but I just wasn't getting the shapes I wanted/needed, so I went back and decided to do it utilizing surfaces instead, and it gave me pretty much what I was looking for.

Here's where I'm currently at with the bridge. Only half of it is modeled so far, since the vast majority of the parts are symmetrical so I'll get the first half modeled and then mirror it, and then finish off the components that aren't symmetric. If anyone is interested I can give a step by step on how I did it, but I figure most people either don't care or already know how to do it, so I didn't bother taking shots of the in progress creation.

After making that progress on the bridge, I had some problems creating the next components, so instead of wasting a bunch of time trying to make things work, I moved on to something else that I knew I could get modeled fairly easily.

At the aft end of the ship, is a access hatch to the below decks area, that is fairly simple, just a 4 sided angled projection from the deck, w/ a hatch, some louvered vents, a life ring and a few other misc. parts.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:32 pm 

Pretty cool stuff there, Adam!

I have an Internet friend who used to use SolidWorks (dunno if he still does) to design various kinds of starships and smaller spacegoing vessels. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a background in design work like that, but nonetheless he was able to churn out some nice designs. Nothing on you, but still...

Anyway, I find it interesting (and amusing) that the life ring mount you've got there looks like a peace sign. :cool_1: :thumbs_up_1:

On the ways:
1/200 Trumpeter HMS Nelson
1/700 Tamiya USS Yorktown CV-5

In the stash:
1/35 Italiari PT-109
1/35 Tamiya "Pibber" Patrol Boat
1/350 Trumpeter USS Yorktown CV-10

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:40 am 

Hello Adam!
I keep an eye on what you do :big_grin: . I like your model pretty much. Especially because I like the Fast Patrol Boats. When many hobbyists prefer the battleships, aircraft carriers etc. just few pay attention to the small combat vessels.
Keep working. You are doing very good progress.

Cheers - Zdzislaw

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:28 pm 

Superb modeling skills!
Can you skip between isometric and perspective in SW?
What scale are you choosing for your boat?

Thanks

Patricio

In the yard:
USS Gudgeon 1/350
Alfa 1/350
Queue:
Guppy II 1/350
Leonardo Da Vinci 1/350
Type 212 1/350
ARA Santiago del Estero 1/144
USS Nautilus 1/350
ARA San Juan 1/350
ARA Chiriguano 1/350
Severodvinsk 1/350

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:04 pm 

Thanks guys! Unfortunately havent been able to make much progress lately. Had personal & family issues come up like crazy over the last month, and its really eaten up a lot of my time, but finally getting back into it.

Haha, yea, good catch on the life ring, I actually hadnt paid attention to that.

Goodwood wrote:
Pretty cool stuff there, Adam!

I have an Internet friend who used to use SolidWorks (dunno if he still does) to design various kinds of starships and smaller spacegoing vessels. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a background in design work like that, but nonetheless he was able to churn out some nice designs. Nothing on you, but still...

Anyway, I find it interesting (and amusing) that the life ring mount you've got there looks like a peace sign. :cool_1: :thumbs_up_1:

This is something that my client chose, and by what he's said, its something near & dear to his heart. Doing the more obscure stuff has its pluses and several negatives. Its nice to do something different that hasnt been done much before, but on the other hand, more obscure stuff makes it infinitely more difficult to find references that are needed.

lothar79 wrote:
Hello Adam!
I keep an eye on what you do :big_grin: . I like your model pretty much. Especially because I like the Fast Patrol Boats. When many hobbyists prefer the battleships, aircraft carriers etc. just few pay attention to the small combat vessels.
Keep working. You are doing very good progress.

Cheers - Zdzislaw

There's an option for tuning perspective on & off, w/ the default being off. Since no perspective is the preferred option in mechanical drawings, I dont normally think about it not having perspective since I'm used to it now.

Production scale will be both 1/350 & 1/700.

Patman wrote:
Superb modeling skills!
Can you skip between isometric and perspective in SW?
What scale are you choosing for your boat?

Thanks

Patricio

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:25 pm 

Hi Adam
Great work. My name is Varen Reddy 86 to 87 worked in the SA Navy at Naval Base Durban on board P16951 SAS Jan Smuts. Since leaving the navy, building a model was always an ambition, but getting deck plans proofed to be very difficult. I tried all avenues over the years, but to no avail. Could you please help if you have deck plans.
Regards
Varen

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:38 pm 

Hi

You said production?
Please, let us know when they will be available.

Thanks

P

In the yard:
USS Gudgeon 1/350
Alfa 1/350
Queue:
Guppy II 1/350
Leonardo Da Vinci 1/350
Type 212 1/350
ARA Santiago del Estero 1/144
USS Nautilus 1/350
ARA San Juan 1/350
ARA Chiriguano 1/350
Severodvinsk 1/350

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:59 pm 
Hi. I am also busy with a Minister Class StrikeCraft - (Warrior Class if you like). The model is in 1/72 scale and has a length of 810mm. The hull is done and I am now busy with the deck work. I took some time with the hull, but now things are speeding up. Follow my build on FaceBook. I post pictures just about every day. Search for Baxmod or go to http://www.baxmod.co.za and follow the facebook link.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:07 pm 

Hi Varen, I hope that my work will meet with your approval.

Let me talk to my client, and see whether he'll be agreeable to me giving the plans out. If he is, I'll get in contact with you.

Varen Reddy wrote:
Hi Adam
Great work. My name is Varen Reddy 86 to 87 worked in the SA Navy at Naval Base Durban on board P16951 SAS Jan Smuts. Since leaving the navy, building a model was always an ambition, but getting deck plans proofed to be very difficult. I tried all avenues over the years, but to no avail. Could you please help if you have deck plans.
Regards
Varen

Hi Patman, yes this will be produced as a resin kit, in 1/700 & 1/350. Most parts will be resin, but there will be quite a bit of photoetch, and I know right now, the plan is to make the radar mast/tower as a 3D printed part, so as to maintain the 3D shape of the parts in scale. The only other options are to make it solid, or out of photoetch, and my client would prefer to have the correct shape.

Patman wrote:
Hi

You said production?
Please, let us know when they will be available.

Thanks

P

Hi Baxmod, I found your page on Facebook, looks like you've made some awesome progress, I'll absolutely be keeping an eye on it for sure.

baxmod wrote:
Hi. I am also busy with a Minister Class StrikeCraft - (Warrior Class if you like). The model is in 1/72 scale and has a length of 810mm. The hull is done and I am now busy with the deck work. I took some time with the hull, but now things are speeding up. Follow my build on FaceBook. I post pictures just about every day. Search for Baxmod or go to http://www.baxmod.co.za and follow the facebook link.

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:20 am 

Hi Adam
I am impressed with the attention to detail, especially the hull and superstructure. The hull form and shear knuckle design is impressive. I will greatly appreciate it if you are able to sent me plans.
Keep up the good work
Regards
varen Reddy

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:27 am 

Hi Adam

Any chance of a copy of the plan ,I am trying to build a 1/40 rc scale model and cant find the plans anywhere.

Regards
Robert

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:02 pm 
I'm sorry to say those ships in your pictures are actually Chilean, not Southafrican. They have 8 Gabriel MK-II missiles and currently 3 are in service.
Why do I know this? I served on board one of them.

...And I'm REALLY interested in your final product...

Are you willing to sell an STL version of the completed version of this?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:23 am 
For plans of Combatane 111 check out Modelarz 1984-03 from the internet archive

Report this post