The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:43 am 

Hello everyone,
I have just committed to buying Combrig's 1/350 Scharnhorst. If I wanted to display the model as her sistership Gneisenau would I have to change or add anything? I am intending to display her just prior to the opening of hostilities as part of the East Asia Squadron based in Tsingtao.
Any help in this matter would be most appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:10 pm 

I thought since Combrig s coming out with a new 350th kit of SMS Scharnhorst, it would be good to start a thread on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:02 am 
Hi Ingura

I´m calling for any info you can have for this subject. I´m heavily interested on all underwater details, like armour plate arrangenmet, inlets/outlets, and so on. Jim Baumman have redirected to this research to Ingura, but, If any of you have some info about this details, feel free to post them here.
Thanks in advance,
Santi Caro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:12 am 

With my 1/350 scale Combrig Scharnhorst enroute I am sure this question will be asked by others so here goes...

What was her paint scheme in 1914 when she engaged the RN at Coronel and the the Falklands. I believe it was a two-tone gray but I have seen some build-ups of the 1/700 Scharnhorst in an single-tone gray. Also did the linoleum decks retain the red/brown color or where they painted over?

Thanks,
Felix Bustelo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:55 am 

I know this is an old thread, but... did any of you have more info on this model. I'm in the hunt for a 1/350 Combrig full hull kit. Found a WL on ebay for a good price, but I'd prefer a full hull one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:59 pm 

Have you tried any of our sponsors on the front page? I bought a FH SMS Scharnhorst from one of them.

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:35 pm 

Good tip, doh! I found two. Goodness, the FH costs $ 80 more than the WL!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:09 am 

Ordered a full hull kit this afternoon from Pacific Front. Pretty excited.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:03 pm 

@Bondoman,

If you want some aftermarket, BMK ( Burghart Masch ) has some specific railings,brass barrels and kit specific brass masts. Important, masts are not included in the kit you have to fabricate them in any case yourself.

Best regards

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:50 pm 

mw 1378 wrote:
@Bondoman,

If you want some aftermarket, BMK ( Burghart Masch ) has some specific railings,brass barrels and kit specific brass masts. Important, masts are not included in the kit you have to fabricate them in any case yourself.

Best regards
Danke, I have their brass barrels for Borodino and the are very nice. I'll look those up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:18 pm 

Hooray my kit came last Friday. Thank you John at WEM for tracking it down.
I have not been able to track down barrels or railings so far. I'm not too worried in the near future, and the kit barrels look on quick glance like they may be ok, although it needs a little more study.

But the first order of business is the submerged part, and in particular the torpedo doors. Can anyone point me towards good reference material?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:05 pm 

mw 1378 wrote:
@Bondoman,

Best regards
Those turn out to be very hard to get ahold of. I even wrote Burghart an email. Any help would be much appreciated- even a model no. if anyone has the set. Make net search much much easier.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:20 pm 

It's been a few years since I put brush to resin and plastic and now I am ready to get back into the game, that and I am bored. One of the ships I want to tackle first is my Combrig 1/700 SMS Scharnhorst and I want to paint it at the time of the Coronel and Falklands battles. Does anyone know what were the colors she was painted in then, from the hull sides, superstructure and the decks. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:15 pm 

Scharnhorst was painted in the standard scheme of the Imperial German Navy:

Superstructure: RAL 7001 (light grey) (in 1/700 c. Vallejo 153?)
Hull: RAL 7000 (medium grey) (in 1/700 c. Vallejo 154?)
Waterline: RAL 7016 (dark grey) (in 1/700 c. Vallejo 166)
Upper parts of funnel, search light: RAL 9011 (black) (in 1/700 c. Vallejo 35)
Superstructure decks: RAL 3007 (very dark red) (linoleum)
Forecastle, quarterdeck: wooden colour (teak?)
Around anchor chains: black (?)

The border between the hull and superstructure grey is often difficult to see. It is at the same position as the border between white and yellow of the tropical scheme, i.e. a little bit above the quarterdeck level and a little bit below the forecastle.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:22 am 

Building the SMS Scharnhorst in white with spar on upper areas. However I noticed the small pin stripe between the two colors on the upper hull level is either black or red. I've seen two different models with either black or red, hum wonder which is correct ???

Thanks in advance,

Keith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:45 pm 

AFAIK, it should be a dark pink.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:03 am 

I'm planning to do the Scharnhorst from combrig on 1/350 and i do not found any dedicated PE set.... but could you indicate me which generalist PE are the best for that period and model, im specially looking for ladders, guns, railings and (if existing) wooden deck...
If not, maybe someone can suggest also another model whith related PE kits from same period (german SMS)...i have not found any PE set for that category of SMS boat (on tat scale).
I'm also looking for saveboats or small civil boats from that period on same scale for a diorama.
thanks in particular to Mr Baumann, Katseas and Apfelzweig for any tips and knowledge they can maybe give on that specific models from their experience. :thanks: :thanks: :help_1:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:19 am 

maxim wrote:
Scharnhorst was painted in the standard scheme of the Imperial German Navy:

Superstructure: RAL 7001 (light grey) (in 1/700 c. Vallejo 153?)
Hull: RAL 7000 (medium grey) (in 1/700 c. Vallejo 154?)
Waterline: RAL 7016 (dark grey) (in 1/700 c. Vallejo 166)
Upper parts of funnel, search light: RAL 9011 (black) (in 1/700 c. Vallejo 35)
Superstructure decks: RAL 3007 (very dark red) (linoleum)
Forecastle, quarterdeck: wooden colour (teak?)
Around anchor chains: black (?)

The border between the hull and superstructure grey is often difficult to see. It is at the same position as the border between white and yellow of the tropical scheme, i.e. a little bit above the quarterdeck level and a little bit below the forecastle.

I'm working on a Combrig SMS Scharnhorst. Where did you source this information? German capital ships appear to use it, but armored cruisers weren't considered "capital ships."

This photo is allegedly taken a month before she sank. Her funnels aren't topped with black paint and I'm not sure if there's good evidence her hull was two separate greys. I'd think that we'd see more than a lighter color off the rounded hull. Assuming that this camouflage followed her peacetime lines, wouldn't we see evidence above her midships 5.9" casemate? The rounded deck "color" also seems consistent with that on her inclined armor belt.

Thanks! See attached.

Attachment:
Scharnhorst.jpg
Scharnhorst.jpg [ 55.47 KiB | Viewed 4279 times ]

1/700 Saratoga w/Pontos (Needs paint)
1/700 Potato w/Kurama (On hold)
1/700 Murdertorpedoboat Ooi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:04 am 

Chris,

Found these in my archives this morning. Source unknown, but the one picture is supposedly her dockside in China, in 1914. Both show a demarcation between the hull and upper works.

HTH

Attachment:
scharnhorst china 1914 camo line.jpg
scharnhorst china 1914 camo line.jpg [ 209.43 KiB | Viewed 4227 times ]

Attachment:
scharnhorst camo line.jpg
scharnhorst camo line.jpg [ 72.2 KiB | Viewed 4227 times ]

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery