The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 am 

What a stunner! You have to do the gigs to finish it off...

I have to admit, I'm almost sorry I didn't pick one up when Yankee Modelworks were still in business, but with the challenges you documented I don't think I'd have the time to do it justice, which makes your build all the more impressive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:22 pm 

First, thanks for the kind comments: I appreciate them.

This kit - for me - was *perplexing* to say the least. I build models for my own enjoyment (ie., not for contests, etc.) and my main goals are always to a) remain inspired throughout the project and b) to improve over my previous efforts. To wax a bit philosophical, this kit became my white whale. There were (many) times as I sat down to work on it that I actually dreaded it, while at the same time it represented a challenge to pretty much all of my modeling skills. It's too bad I had to spend so much time, effort and money correcting basic problems with the kit's workmanship.

Enough philosophy: this kit really let me down. Part of that may be because YMW did such a good job of overselling it with the (SolidWorks?) 3d models they released - I allowed my expectations to outweigh my experience (eg., USS Montana was of similar quality). I don't typically bag on manufacturers because I understand very well what it takes to go from concept to delivered product, but in this case, I would be remiss to not speak my mind. The kit was poorly executed, period. I'd rate the main elements as follows:

- hull - 8 of 10
- superstructure/other resin - 2 of 10 (I'd give it a one or zero but I was at least able to use some of it as patterns)
- photoetch - 10 of 10
- white metal - 0 of 10: should have left it out and saved me the money.

This project consumed 18-months, two of which were spent awaiting a replacement kit from YMW (and which you can tell from the photo below, wound up not correcting most of the problems anyway).

Having said all that, you are welcome to the below collection of parts if you can't find one on eBay :)

Note the #2 barbette in the box: once again I say "THANK YOU" to everyone who offered constructive criticism.

As for the gigs, I'm off on a new project (hint below - note the modifications to the transom actuators) and they are sitting there on the bench staring at me, so I'll probably get around to them.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:27 am 

Randy,

Thanks for your honest appraisal, you've done us all (including the kit manufacturers) a favor. And you should be proud of your BOSTON, she really looks great.

Cheers,

Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:16 am 

Sad news... we are a pet family: currently two dogs, two cats. And the cats are Siamese (can you tell where this is headed?). I keep my models displayed in my home office, which is absolutely off-limits to all pets without special permission (except for my dog, a 10-y/o golden retriever). The older Siamese - 5-y/o Leo, is pretty mellow and I will sometimes allow him to hang out with me while I'm working - he usually curls up on the top of my computer and watches me. The "other" Siamese is an 8-month old kitten, Ramsey. Everything you've heard about Siamese being "adventurous" and troublesome is true - especially when young, and Ramsey LOVES to harass Leo at every opportunity. Anyway, recently I was in my office with Leo and I left to get something to drink. When I returned, Leo and Ramsey were in a standoff... up on the shelf with Boston. I grabbed Ramsey by the scruff of his neck and as I brought him off the shelf, he reached out with both paws to swat Leo, but missed and basically removed everything above Boston's upper radar platform.

All the rigging to the mainmast got wiped out (the yardarm is hanging off to one side :( ), the uppermost radars are all gone, etc. And he got the excruciatingly PITA custom made stern jackstaff.

After reminding myself numerous times that I'm an animal-lover, I carefully removed the damaged parts and took inventory. Everything is repairable with the exception of two radars - most notably the CXRX and SPS-8 radar antennae... they are beyond salvage.

So....... if anyone out there has a Boston kit they'd be willing to part with, or better yet the PE set from one, PLEASE contact me.

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:53 pm 

That's awful!

Have you contacted Brandon at Freetime Hobbies? They may have some bits left over from their purchase of Yankee Modelworks.

~Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:04 pm 

Yes I have, and unfortunately the response was negative. But thanks for the excellent suggestion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:45 pm 

Iron Shipwrights makes Canberra, CAG-2 in 1/350 and in my experience is pretty good with helping out in regards letting folks buy parts they need for scratchbuilds. I think the radars are on a separate PE fret too...

It's not a perfect solution, but worth a shot?

~Scott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:37 pm 

Outstanding suggestion - thank you. I never would have thought to ask!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:29 pm 

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:19 pm 

:thumbs_up_1: Nice looking rendition of the 'Boo-Boo Maru!!'

I made her last WestPac cruise to 'Nam in '69, then put her out of commission in Beantown in May of '70. We were getting some bad 5" ammunition by then, and had two 5" rounds 'short fuse' and detonate within the barrels immediately as they were fired; not fun. Made three 'Nam cruises on her sister - "Canberra" - they could surely spit out the 5" and 8"!! I constructed a 1/96 RC model of the 'Canberra' using one of Lee Upshaw's 'Baltimore' class hulls, and occasionally chase the ducks with it on a local pond. Still lacking some fittings, etc - but it's fun to run.... P.S. - if I recall, the tops of the capstans were covered in sheet brass - and, of course - polished!!

Post subject: need source for plans
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:27 pm 
I'd like to buy a set of USN 1/4"=1' plans for the USS Boston CAG-1 Does anyone know where/how to get them?
thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:08 pm 

francis44 wrote:
I'd like to buy a set of USN 1/4"=1' plans for the USS Boston CAG-1 Does anyone know where/how to get them?
thanks

You can have them blown up to 1/4" at a Kinkos: http://floatingdrydock.com/MasterPlan.htm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:53 pm 
CAG-1NUT here, my login is screwed up again? Anyway, your work is stunning; great job! You've also made our task a little easier, whereas my friend and I are about to start on our 1/8" = 1' RC versions of CAG-1 and CAG-2. Your photos should prove quite useful, plus others when, I scale-up and modify USS Baltimore 1/16" = 1' plan set!
Again, excellent job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:53 pm 

\I just started to convert and scale up my -Floating Dry Dock plan set for the USS Baltimore Ca 68- from 1/16"=1' to 1/8"=1' for my RC CAG-1 scratch build project and ran into a small problem. Whereas, during her 1950s conversion in addition to many other mods, the twin funnels were trunked into one - no biggie to change-, and her lower forward superstructure was extended aft. If you're building CA-1 or 2 and can provide a photo or two of the lower superstructure it would be a big help. I've tried to figure it out by looking at the build photos and completed model posted here, but just can't get a clear enough view. BTW, that's and assume model!

Also, if you happen to have plans -in any scale- for CAG-1 or 2 that include superstructure decks and can post a few photos that would be great and much appreciated!

Thanks Francis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:55 am 

CAG-1NUT wrote:
\I just started to convert and scale up my -Floating Dry Dock plan set for the USS Baltimore Ca 68- from 1/16"=1' to 1/8"=1' for my RC CAG-1 scratch build project and ran into a small problem. Whereas, during her 1950s conversion in addition to many other mods, the twin funnels were trunked into one - no biggie to change-, and her lower forward superstructure was extended aft. If you're building CA-1 or 2 and can provide a photo or two of the lower superstructure it would be a big help. I've tried to figure it out by looking at the build photos and completed model posted here, but just can't get a clear enough view. BTW, that's and assume model!

Also, if you happen to have plans -in any scale- for CAG-1 or 2 that include superstructure decks and can post a few photos that would be great and much appreciated!

Thanks Francis

Since you're in the area suggest you head up here to DC and look at the National Archives. From his posts, Tracy White spends a fair amount of time there and may be able to help you out if you PM him.

The US Naval Institute, (usni.org) also has a photo archives, but you need to be specific in regards to your needs.

Post subject: CAG-1 CAG-2 Question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:48 am 

I am in the process of converting a set of 1/96 plans for the Boston CA-68 to the early 1960s version of the two sister ships, CAG-1 & CAG-2. Whereas, we plan to build both ships, I need info on how -if- they differ. Any help appreciated. Also from when to when did that helo pads?

Forgot to add: Did the Boston CAG-1 also have a helicopter pad aft or was it only on CAG-2?
thanks
Francis T

/

Last edited by CAG-1NUT on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:11 pm 

Here's a photo of CAG-1 in 1968 the ejection chuts look dif in 68 lower. Other photos at site.

http://www.subicbaypi.com/sub_repairs003.htm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:32 am 

Off the top of my head, I can give three differences between CAG1 and CAG2, but they are somewhat time related. First, as completed, Boston had 6 twin 3" mounts. Canberra lacked the two at the main deck level aft of the after 5" mounts. Second, Boston and Canberra were completed with different missile directors. In both of these differences, Boston was eventually matched to Canberra. The third difference is the helo platform you already mentioned. Boston didn't have one. (And, some of the earliest photos of Boston show the bridge decks as not glassed in. That didn't last long.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:57 am 

Dick J wrote:
Off the top of my head, I can give three differences between CAG1 and CAG2, but they are somewhat time related. First, as completed, Boston had 6 twin 3" mounts. Canberra lacked the two at the main deck level aft of the after 5" mounts. Second, Boston and Canberra were completed with different missile directors. In both of these differences, Boston was eventually matched to Canberra. The third difference is the helo platform you already mentioned. Boston didn't have one. (And, some of the earliest photos of Boston show the bridge decks as not glassed in. That didn't last long.)

Thanks for the quick reply! Is the Boston model here from the time when both ships looked a like? --to anyone reading this post, if know from when-to-when they looked like twins please let us know--

As for the helo pad, we interested in it whereas, we wanted to fly -more likely crash- our mini RC CH47 between the two ships. We decided to make removable pads. With functional terriers, sound, smoke, trainable 8" turrets & missal launchers, and rotating radars,real -but tiny lol- search lights and signal lamp -BTW: I put them on my CB-1 and it looked really cool at night. Oh, one more thingie, I'd like to have my radars turn or rock at the proper rpm etc. When I'm sure as to which type and Mk I ask here. Thanks again.

Post subject: info need on radars
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:34 pm 

Whereas we found a good source for small motors, we want to activate -rotate or scan up/down- the different radars our large scale RC models CAG1 & CAG2. I hope we have former radar guy here. The fine model in the file/photo below was not my build, but it is the right ship with the radars in question. Yes, I'm being picky, but if I can make them rotate as they should, why not?

http://www.nulspace.com/hobbies/boston/ ... 70513c.jpg

Thanks
Francis T

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next