The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 132  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:40 am 

anj4de wrote:
Hello!

A question for Tracy...

When the flight deck of CV-14 Tico was lenghtened where the catapults moved forward as well or did they stay in place? Still puzzeled how/if it is possible to lenghten the Trumpi deck? Would a Yorktown deck with covered over cut outs do the trick? Was the rear lenghtened as well?

thanks
Uwe

I cannot shed any light on the cats but if you want to contact these guys:

http://nautilusmodels.com/orderpage-USA.htm

They do replacement decks. I have had them provide some nice custom decks to replace the Ships & Company deck on their pathetic rendition of a 1/700 SCB-125 Intrepid and a custom deck to convert the Iron Shipwright's Essex SCB-27A into a SCB-27C for my 1/700 Hancock.

They do good work!

Good Luck,

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:35 am 

anj4de wrote:
When the flight deck of CV-14 Tico was lenghtened where the catapults moved forward as well or did they stay in place? Still puzzeled how/if it is possible to lenghten the Trumpi deck? Would a Yorktown deck with covered over cut outs do the trick? Was the rear lenghtened as well?

The conversion is a wee bit of a mystery, but I'm fairly certain they left the tracks in place - it would be quite a bit of work to move them and re-plumb everything, and I don't think having the plan seven or so feet back would make any difference for catapult operations - the decks were mainly lengthened to restore take-off run distance when catapults were not used. Conventional wisdom had been that all of the ships launched with the short deck but were restored before making it out to the war zone, but in actuality each one was completely unique. Tico only had the front section restored before her first war cruise - the aft deck edge remained unchanged. I've got the departure report were the work is listed and it states "50% complete" in the status column with notes about only the bow work being completed. No mention is made of the catapult track. However, a decent shot I have of Randolph shows the track stopping one section short of the round down, with the associated tie-down and wood planks ahead of it. This me to be fairly confident that Tico was the same.

When she was struck by kamikaze in January of 1945 she was sent back to the states, and during repair her aft section was restored to the original length, and she served in this capacity during her second war cruise. So, depending on time frame you've got some differences to consider. A straight-edged deck of the full length and no notches would do for her last war cruise. If you want dazzle, though, you need the regular up front and the short deck aft. I haven't measured the plank width in the Trumpeter deck, but I wonder how hard it would be to get some plastic strip about the same thickness, file one corner to make it have a bit more of a gap, and then laminate multiple pieces to approximate one section of deck.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:55 pm 
Hello guys, I've just finished building a kit of the CV-16 by Dragon, and I absolutely love it.
All that is left for me to do is finish building the aircraft complements.

Now this is where I'm a bit confused. I am not exactly an expert in WWII stuff, so please bear with me.
A lot of photos of the Essex class ships show them having so many planes on the flight deck aft.
This photo: http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/021619.jpg
even has the planes on the bow end of the flight deck.

My question is, how many planes are seen on the flight deck usually? Do they have every parked planes on the flight deck take off in combat? If they don't, wouldn't the parked planes hinder the take off/landing process?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:16 am 

Glad you enjoyed the kit, and welcome aboard!

Planes parked forward are part of the landing evolution (process) and once all of the planes are down, they would push them all aft and spot them for the next strike take off. How many were on deck really depends on the year and ship as air groups grew in size during the war and each ship was made up of different squadrons. Some times they'd launch "all" of the air group (some fighters might be used for patrol over the carrier and would be launched before the strike) for a strike, other times they would break it up.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:35 am 
Thank you for the answer.
I guess it would make sense if they park the planes forward just after they finished their "business", since there would be no take offs for a while..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:28 pm 

Please can anyone provide information for air-wings (colours and aircraft types) of :

Ticonderoga CV-14 May 1945 and Yorktown CV-10 also May 1945.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:06 pm 

Giwrikas wrote:
Please can anyone provide information for air-wings (colours and aircraft types) of :

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

I'm not sure I can post links as a noob on this site (probably not), but here goes:

http://www.history.navy.mil/a-record/ww-ii/loc-ac/1945/may1945/19-5-45.pdf

In May 1945, Ticonderoga was carrying CVG-87. The 10,000th Hellcat was assigned to VBF-87 in May 1945 as well. You can google "10,000th Hellcat", and you can get good images of it. CVG-87's aircraft wore an upside down triangle on the tail and wing for its G-symbol.

For Yorktown, she carried CVG-9.

If the link doesn't work, I'll come back and type things out...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:53 am 

MFH wrote:
Giwrikas wrote:

Thanks a lot!!!!!!

I'm not sure I can post links as a noob on this site (probably not), but here goes:

http://www.history.navy.mil/a-record/ww-ii/loc-ac/1945/may1945/19-5-45.pdf

In May 1945, Ticonderoga was carrying CVG-87. The 10,000th Hellcat was assigned to VBF-87 in May 1945 as well. You can google "10,000th Hellcat", and you can get good images of it. CVG-87's aircraft wore an upside down triangle on the tail and wing for its G-symbol.

For Yorktown, she carried CVG-9.

If the link doesn't work, I'll come back and type things out...

Not too shabby fer a noob!! :thumbs_up_1: Some good info there :big_grin:

On the Bench:
1/720 Italeri CVN-68 ca 1976/77
1/800 ARii 1/800 CV-59 backdating to 1961 (CVA-59)
1/700Trumpy USS Hornet CV-8 "Doolittle Raiders"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:25 pm 

I might be a noob posting here, but I've studied Essex's (and Essex in particular, since my uncle served on her from late 1943 to 1946) for most of my life (from about 5 y.o. to the present--~40)! I've built several less than stellar models of her in the past (1/700 Hasegawa in the 80's & 90's), but hope to build some newer ones (I've got the 1/700 Dragon & 1/350 Trumpeter) in the not too distant future. Young kids don't help...

If you need help hunting up photos of the planes from CVG-9 & CVG-87, let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:01 am 

From one Essex fan to another - welcome aboard!

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:56 am 

Welcome aboard! :thumbs_up_1:

On the Bench:
1/720 Italeri CVN-68 ca 1976/77
1/800 ARii 1/800 CV-59 backdating to 1961 (CVA-59)
1/700Trumpy USS Hornet CV-8 "Doolittle Raiders"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome!

My knowledge is more on the operational side of these ships (Essex in particular).

Luckily for me, my uncle saved some of her memorabilia, and I am trusted with their care.

Some of what I've got includes: two cruise books ("Saga of the Essex" and CVG-83), two-dozen (mostly complete) plans of the day (includes both ship and air department), numerous ship's newspapers ("The Essex Buccaneer"), various newspaper & magazine articles, blood chits, various CIC magazines (my uncle was a radar operator), poems, some of the propaganda leaflets dropped on Japan, a VT-9 flight helmet, his diary (which stops just before Iwo, dang it! I wish it went through Okinawa, Essex's toughest combat cruise), etc.

This doesn't include all the other post-war books I've collected and read over time (Lundstrom, Tillman, Olynyk, Reynolds, etc.).

Looking through this thread, it looks more like an emphasis on how the great gals looked, but I might be able to add some with some operational (historical?) insight.

One thing that bothers me is when folks make a gorgeous model, but she's carrying the wrong planes. Perhaps a dazzled Intrepid with Corsairs on deck, or a dazzled Essex with four 40mm quad mounts on her island, etc...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:04 pm 

P.S. Please don't take that last post as bragadocious [sic], I've screwed up many a model historically in the past!!!

However, I've since learned (for the most part), which planes went on which ships, how they were marked, at what times, and how the ship was at least basically configured...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:14 pm 

MFH wrote:
Looking through this thread, it looks more like an emphasis on how the great gals looked, but I might be able to add some with some operational (historical?) insight.

As this is a modelling board, appearance is more of a focus - plus we have the History & Technology section for more operational types of questions. As long as this thread is, we have to balance keeping it free and open so that people are comfortable asking questions with having it so open that no one ever looks to see if the same question has been answered before. It's the same reason we had to split the "Works in Progress" posts out to their own separate section, even though it's great in some ways to have it all in one thread.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:25 am 
Are arresting wires always visible on top of the flight deck? Or are they deployed only after deploying all aircrafts?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:46 am 

ThatSinkingFeeling wrote:
Are arresting wires always visible on top of the flight deck? Or are they deployed only after deploying all aircrafts?

Always visible.

(Now, repeat after me: The plural of AIRCRAFT is AIRCRAFT. It is a word like deer. I saw a deer, I saw twenty deer. The pilot landed his aircraft. All twenty squadron aircraft landed safely. Sorry - pet peeve I have with the younger generation, who seem to make this mistake continuously. I must take this opportunity to teach them what the miserable public schools failed to teach!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 am 
Michael Vorrasi wrote:
ThatSinkingFeeling wrote:

Always visible.

(Now, repeat after me: The plural of AIRCRAFT is AIRCRAFT. It is a word like deer. I saw a deer, I saw twenty deer. The pilot landed his aircraft. All twenty squadron aircraft landed safely. Sorry - pet peeve I have with the younger generation, who seem to make this mistake continuously. I must take this opportunity to teach them what the miserable public schools failed to teach!)

Thank you very much for your answer. I should rig some with wires for my kit.
About your comment, I appreciate the correction (I also realize that I used deploy twice in a sentence).
I am not a native English speaker, and these random corrections always help me improve.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:37 am 

Quote:
Thank you very much for your answer. I should rig some with wires for my kit.
About your comment, I appreciate the correction (I also realize that I used deploy twice in a sentence).
I am not a native English speaker, and these random corrections always help me improve.

My comments were not intended mainly for you, but for plenty of native English speakers who make that mistake. Like I said, we must use the opportunity to teach the young ones what our schools have failed to teach. You have a valid excuse, they do not! :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:40 pm 

I'm going back and reading the entire thread (to make sure I don't post anything TOO stupid that most folks already know), but I can't resist this: seventy years ago today, USS Essex, CV-9 departed San Francisco after her only wartime refit. (I'm sure everyone here probably already knows this, so feel free to delete this if that's what the the admins want!)

It was during this refit she lost her forward 40mm quad mount on the island and received her enlarged flag bridge. However, she received four additional quad 40mm mounts: two port forward, and two starboard aft side, which were not extend outboard, like many of her sisters, leaving her with less than desirable firing arcs. However, I guess it didn't matter too much to her gun crews, as she claimed the destruction of 33 (!, one less than Cdr. David McCampbell did in the air) Japanese aircraft by her anti-aircraft batteries. To put that in perspective, that is 13 more than the next closest Essex: Bunker Hill with 20. Many of her gun crews came from USS Wasp (CV-7), which never had an opportunity fire her guns in anger in 1941-2.

She also received an update to her radar suite/rig, and I'm 99% sure she received flight deck strengthening.

Most noticeably, she got a new camouflage scheme: Measure 32/6-10D. It would be the only two-tone dazzle pattern of the war for fleet carriers, as well as the only destroyer scheme applied. She would carry it through the Battle of the Philippine Sea, strikes on Formosa and the Philippines, the Battle of Leyte Gulf, Third Fleets foray through the South China Sea, the strikes on Tokyo, supporting the invasion of Iwo Jima, and preparatory strikes on Okinawa.

The two air groups assigned to her while in these markings were CVG-15 (the so-called "McCampbell's Heroes"), and CVG-4 (which is still around [sort of] as CVW-1 today). CVG-15 would start off in tri-colored F6F-3s, SB2C-1C's, and TBF/TBM-1Cs. Starting in the summer of '44, navy blue F6F-5s would start replacing the F6F-3s. All this while, her planes would bear a white horizontal bar on their tail. VF-15 would finish its cruise with 310 claimed victories, BY FAR the highest one tour claim total of any squadron in the navy. Only Hornet's CVG-17 would come close, with 286 claims in 1945.

CVG-4 would take over CVG-15's planes in November 1944, and maintain their markings (however, CVG-4 would go to a three-digit modex by at least January 1945). In December 1944, VB-4 would be detached (the only remaining wartime squadron from Essex still around today: VFA-14), and would be replaced with Marine F4U-1D Corsairs (the first fast carrier to take DAYTIME Corsairs into combat). While on CV-9, CAG-4 (Commander Otto Klinsmann), would be lost of the Pescadores in January 1945, and his replacement was Lt. Col. William A. Millington, USMC. It was the only occasion in WW II in which a marine commanded a navy carrier air group. A more senior navy commnader (Cdr. F. K. Upham, formerly CO of VF-81 on Wasp) replaced Millington as CAG in February 1945 (by the time of the Tokyo strikes). (As an aside, Millington flew with Pappy Boyington, Bob Galer, John F. Dobbin, Donald Yost, and Hank Elrod off of Yorktown (CV-5) in VMF-2 pre-war.)

Right around the time of Tokyo strikes (16-17 February 1945), Essex planes "traded" their tail stripe for the "double diamond" G-symbols, which she would carry through July 1945.

Essex's Measure 32/6-10D would be replaced with Measure 21 in March 1945, which she would wear through the end of the war, with CVG-83 on board. However, her most arduous combat operations were in her "boring" Measure 21 off the Home Islands in 1945: at sea (most of the time in combat) for 79 consecutive days (14 March to 1 June 1945)!!!

So, here's the Mighty E in all of her glory this day in history (being used as a high speed armored ferry!):

(I love her hull number "9" at her bows and stern.)

Please forgive me! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:19 pm 

Tracy White wrote:
MFH wrote:
we have the History & Technology section

FWIW, I posted some Essex documents here, for those of you interested.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2629 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 132  Next