The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:31 pm 

I've had good luck with Chrome. I now use it more than anything else at home.

Dave, What form/year with that CGN-42 take? An As built early '80's or a modern take on the same concept?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:00 pm 

No problem opening it here.
Windows 7, IE 9

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:35 pm 

Yay for Chrome!

And yes, IE 9 is fine, which is why I suggested they upgrade if they insist on using IE.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:03 pm 

It was a problem with the quotes around "what if" in the links and in some back-end stuff. Legacy issues that I believed had been resolved.

I was in error.

They are fixed now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:57 am 

Last edited by carr on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:42 pm 

Excerpt from another board:

seasick wrote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spruance class DD before their sink-ex usually were raided for equipment for the Ticos, and OHP.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply:

And for any remaining Spruances!

DD-982 went to Philly for a port visit while I was there, everyone but the duty section spent the first day over at the Decom Facility raiding a Sprucan that was being stripped for SINKEX. My division grabbed things ranging from a mounted dial phone handset (longer cord than ours) to a pump that was no longer available in the supply system. (manufacturer was out of business too).

----------------------
The Spruance class by consensus of the string members expended to keep other ships from that era in service. It was not particularly easy to adapt another pump to do the job of the one that they grabbed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:09 am 

Seasick wrote:
Excerpt from another board:

seasick wrote:
Spruance class DD before their sink-ex usually were raided for equipment for the Ticos, and OHP.

Reply:

And for any remaining Spruances!

DD-982 went to Philly for a port visit while I was there, everyone but the duty section spent the first day over at the Decom Facility raiding a Sprucan that was being stripped for SINKEX. My division grabbed things ranging from a mounted dial phone handset (longer cord than ours) to a pump that was no longer available in the supply system. (manufacturer was out of business too).

----------------------
The Spruance class by consensus of the string members expended to keep other ships from that era in service. It was not particularly easy to adapt another pump to do the job of the one that they grabbed.
Honestly, ask your brain: Does that make any sense?

If we did not have enough spare parts would we just contract new companies to make the spare parts needed, or would we decommission entire warships that are filling vital mission essential roles...just to pick parts off of them?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:09 am 

The Spruance class had the greatest range of any US destroyer class before, or since.
Using the data provided in Navsource, I compared the ranges of all classes. The Spruances came in at number one, whereas the Burkes came in less than the Gearings.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:29 am 

During my time on the Moosbrugger and the Caron, the elevated control station was indeed the original Helo control station, however after station on the flight deck was being used for that purpose and the superstructure station was just a closet with a cool window.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 pm 

carr wrote:
navydavesof wrote:
Does anyone have any scratch building tips for building the interiors of the helicopter hangers? The Spruance DDH modernization version will have an extended hanger, so it needs to be longer and it needs to have some fun detail on the inside. It's kind of hard finding interior detail of the Spruacan hangers, plus this one is going to be twice as long!

Here's a shot of a Spruance hangar that we looked at previously, though for other reasons. You're going to do a telescoping hangar so you'll have to make some allowances but the basic structure ought to be similar, I would think.

The upper window is Flight Deck control and the deck station is the Landing Safety Officer station. both are manned during flight ops. The LSO station was primarily for controlling the RAST (Recover, Arrest, Secure, Traverse) system when it was being used.

Attachments:
Moose Hangar 3.jpg
Moose Hangar 3.jpg [ 115.97 KiB | Viewed 1941 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:56 pm 

carr wrote:
navydavesof wrote:
Does anyone have any scratch building tips for building the interiors of the helicopter hangers? The Spruance DDH modernization version will have an extended hanger, so it needs to be longer and it needs to have some fun detail on the inside. It's kind of hard finding interior detail of the Spruacan hangers, plus this one is going to be twice as long!

Here's a shot of a Spruance hangar that we looked at previously, though for other reasons. You're going to do a telescoping hangar so you'll have to make some allowances but the basic structure ought to be similar, I would think.

The upper window is Flight Deck control and the deck station is the Landing Safety Officer station. both are manned during flight ops. The LSO station was primarily for controlling the RAST (Recover, Arrest, Secure, Traverse) system when it was being used.

Oops...wrong picture above.

Attachments:
Moose Hangar 3.jpg
Moose Hangar 3.jpg [ 115.97 KiB | Viewed 1942 times ]
Moose landing control station 2.JPG
Moose landing control station 2.JPG [ 30.35 KiB | Viewed 1942 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:22 pm 

Hello Dave

You modernized Spruance Class looks excellent! Reading and locking more at modern USN ships recently I have to say that the Spruance Class in general are very good looking ships. I like them better then the Ticonderoga class ships. This of course is only the opinion of a model builder and not based on technical or historical fact. Hey...even the WASA which I have seen a couple of times life looks fantastic but actually was a crapy ship ;-)
So if I wanted to get a Spruance kit in 350...which of the Dragon ones is the most up 2 date one or would be best suited to be beefed up to sail with Iowa and Wisconsin into the 21st century?

thanks
Uwe

PS: One thing that is ugly is that covered up mast on some of them...just does not look right IMHO...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:56 am 

anj4de wrote:
You modernized Spruance Class looks excellent!
Thanks, mate. I appreciate that. Unfortunatley, the US Post Office destroyed it in shipment. There is another Spruance project I am looking forward to doing, but I don't know if I will recreate this one.

anj4de wrote:
So if I wanted to get a Spruance kit in 350...which of the Dragon ones is the most up 2 date one or would be best suited to be beefed up to sail with Iowa and Wisconsin into the 21st century?
Well, first the USS Cushing represents the last iteration of the Sprucans. However, the Any of the 1/350 Spruance models are getting to be very, very rare. The 1/700s are plentiful! I was able to get my hands on 2 S1/350 Spruances recently, and I feel very lucky. Second, there are no Spruances left in the mothball fleet. When I first opened this thread, we still had 12-17 on hand. Now, there is none. The only surviving Sprucan is the ex-USS Paul F Foster, and she is the Navy's Self Defense Test Ship. She gets shot at a lot, and it's her responsibility to test new non-Aegis defensive capabilities.

So, long story short, there are no Spruances left to sail with an Iowa in the 21st century. :frown_2:

However, if you would like to discuss the "what-if" as if some were available for reactivation, we can! On-line or off-line, let me know. :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 am 

navydavesof wrote:
anj4de wrote:
You modernized Spruance Class looks excellent!
Thanks, mate. I appreciate that. Unfortunatley, the US Post Office destroyed it in shipment. There is another Spruance project I am looking forward to doing, but I don't know if I will recreate this one.

anj4de wrote:
Well, first the USS Cushing represents the last iteration of the Sprucans. However, the Any of the 1/350 Spruance models are getting to be very, very rare. The 1/700s are plentiful! I was able to get my hands on 2 S1/350 Spruances recently, and I feel very lucky. Second, there are no Spruances left in the mothball fleet. When I first opened this thread, we still had 12-17 on hand. Now, there is none. The only surviving Sprucan is the ex-USS Paul F Foster, and she is the Navy's Self Defense Test Ship. She gets shot at a lot, and it's her responsibility to test new non-Aegis defensive capabilities.

So, long story short, there are no Spruances left to sail with an Iowa in the 21st century. :frown_2:

However, if you would like to discuss the "what-if" as if some were available for reactivation, we can! On-line or off-line, let me know. :thumbs_up_1:

Hello Dave

Thanks again for your quick and detailed response! Did a quick swep through German online model shops, found a Cushing and ordered it. :big_grin: Also googeled the Paul F Foster and now watching their 90/91 online cruise video on youtube.
A question on your model, the Mk71 gun, is that scratch build? How badly was your ship damaged by the Post? Is it really beyond repair? Wouldn't a good "yard oberhaul" be able to fix her up? I hardly ever throw plastic away, have ceratin models, like anm F4B Phantom that I first build while at NCO academy in 1985, that have been rebuild/repaired 4-5 times so far. Last time the cat wipped it of the shelf :-(
Anyway, I really enjoy especially those "what if" subjects since I first believe things get thrown away much to quickly for political reasons and also since not always newer means better. Prime examples would be the A-10 and the B-52. The German Air Force only last year gave up their Phantoms...and they served very well all the way to the end.

cheers
Uwe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:00 am 

anj4de wrote:
...Did a quick swep through German online model shops, found a Cushing and ordered it. :big_grin:
Very good, man!

anj4de wrote:
A question on your model, the Mk71 gun, is that scratch build?
I commissioned it to be made by a professional model builder.

anj4de wrote:
How badly was your ship damaged by the Post?
So badly I picked a few parts off it and literally threw the rest in the trash. I was pretty upset.

anj4de wrote:
Anyway, I really enjoy especially those "what if" subjects since I first believe things get thrown away much to quickly for political reasons and also since not always newer means better. Prime examples would be the A-10 and the B-52.
Indeed. Capability reductions based on unnecessary budget reductions is falls 100% into the "wrong" category. They gave the reason to deactivate the A-10 wings that they need money to pursues the F-35, and that the F-35 will be able to replace the A-10. The F-35 cannot replace the A-10, in any way, ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:47 am 

As someone whom has been in the service of this great country for nearly 28 years and has served with Army, Air force, Navy and Marines. It still amazes me how something that make sense and should be maintained end up being replaced by some new idea that never works. Sorry for that soap-box moment, I have several these kits I am planning on building into either a What-If and/or Real design over the next few years. David your what-if ideas and designs are amazing. To anyone else thinking of doing a project like this is to simply go for it.
Is not the idea to have fun and not worry about what the "nut& bolts freaks" say...
I love the What-if ideas and always have...
For my What-if project/ idea is taking one of my favorite Spruance class ships the USS John Hancock DD981 and making her into a DDH with some updates that would make her more serviceable.
Let me look at what I have in storage, and will let anyone know who has and/or any interest in a similar project know if I still have some extra Spruance class kits and when they may become available
thanks
Major-B :thumbs_up_1:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 pm 

navydavesof wrote:
anj4de wrote:
...Did a quick swep through German online model shops, found a Cushing and ordered it. :big_grin:
Very good, man!

The Cushing was sold out, the shop just did not update the inventory :heh:
But I found the "girly" boat on E-Bay...USS Hewitt :wink: . So I bought that one. It seems to be the same kit...at least from the sprue pics in the auction.

Dave, the guy who did your Mk71, do you know if he made a master and cast it or was this a one off?

cheers
Uwe

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:02 am 

Mayor B,

MAJOR-B wrote:
As someone whom has been in the service of this great country for nearly 28 years and has served with Army, Air force, Navy and Marines. It still amazes me how something that make sense and should be maintained end up being replaced by some new idea that never works. Sorry for that soap-box moment, I have several these kits I am planning on building into either a What-If and/or Real design over the next few years.
I agree with you 100%, sir. As a veteran who has served with your time and experience, I would like to thank you for watching my threads. I really appreciate it...especially with my lack of continued progress! :heh:

MAJOR-B wrote:
David your what-if ideas and designs are amazing. To anyone else thinking of doing a project like this is to simply go for it.
Is not the idea to have fun and not worry about what the "nut& bolts freaks" say...
Thank you, sir. I really appreciate it. It's very nice to hear such confirmation.. I appreciate it. Thanks so much.

MAJOR-B wrote:
I love the What-if ideas and always have...
Whoa!!! Only more to come!!! I am in the midst of building some PC replacements right now. That should be good fun as well!!!

MAJOR-B wrote:
For my What-if project/ idea is taking one of my favorite Spruance class ships the USS John Hancock DD981 and making her into a DDH with some updates that would make her more serviceable.
I am right there with you, sir! I know that Cliffy B is going to do something similar with a DDG-51 model he has. These should be some pretty excellent WHIF models!

MAJOR-B wrote:
Let me look at what I have in storage, and will let anyone know who has and/or any interest in a similar project know if I still have some extra Spruance class kits and when they may become available
thanks
Major-B :thumbs_up_1:
Fantastic offer, my dear sir! I was able to get my hands on a Spruance and Hewitt recently, and I feel pretty lucky for that!!! They seem to be super out of production. I think Dragon would be in a VERY good way to do a few re-toolings and then reissue them.

:big_grin:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:07 am 

[/quote]Fantastic offer, my dear sir! I was able to get my hands on a Spruance and Hewitt recently, and I feel pretty lucky for that!!! They seem to be super out of production. I think Dragon would be in a VERY good way to do a few re-toolings and then reissue them.:big_grin:[/quote]

Hi...

I am not sure if a simple re-tooling would do? I would prefere a new tool set that is up to the level of the Gearing class Dragon recently released. On the Hewitt...Wiki mentions this "girl upgrade package" that was installed in 1997. Was Hewitt really the first ship to accept girls as crew? I understood it that way... :?:
I now have my eyes on a USS Ingersoll that popped up on E-Bay...

cheers
Uwe

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:08 pm 

My Hewitt arrived this morning! Quite worn down box but all parts still in bags. No instructions but decals for Hewitt, Elliott, Ingersol and Peterson, both in white (now yellow) and subdued. Now starting to dig into the Spruance subject more...trying to find out what were the various build up levels...and maybe how they could look today or in ten years if there were any left.
I started the hull in the afternoon...and this brought back memories of the 70ties when kit parts almost never fitted at all (apart from those fabulous Monogram bombers). Worst fitting kit in decades this is. This will be an interesting subject... :smallsmile:

thanks
Uwe

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next