The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:07 pm 

Hi all

Photos of officers of this period show that their jackets were double breasted and long (see picture below). I therefore modified the existing jacket on the figure by lengthening it.
For this I used "Milliput" epoxy putty, fantastic stuff, but I'm not sure if it is readily available outside the UK. I use this in my "day job" restoring antiques and fine art so know how it works. The pictures show the "super fine white" but it is available in other colours. Mixing the two parts produced a sticky malleable clay like medium which can be worked and spread with tools and fingers. Adding a little water to the surface makes it possible to smooth it out. It cures slowly over about 6 hours to a density that can easily be carved with a craft knife. Left another 6 hours and it's rock hard and can be sanded.
I also re positioned the figures head and removed the modern collar and tie which will be replaced with a Victorian stiff collar.

Attachments:
File comment: Note the officers long dress coats and the small hats.
img019.jpg
img019.jpg [ 180.81 KiB | Viewed 2690 times ]
File comment: The long dress coat was going to be reproduced on the figure which started off with a modern suit.
IMG_1338.JPG
IMG_1338.JPG [ 102.07 KiB | Viewed 2690 times ]
File comment: Milliput epoxy putty is excellent for these fine modelling tasks.
IMG_1339.JPG
IMG_1339.JPG [ 178.73 KiB | Viewed 2690 times ]
File comment: The initial stage of smoothing out the putty requires a little water.
IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1340.JPG [ 175.21 KiB | Viewed 2690 times ]

www.chyldshallmodelshipyard.com
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:21 am 

Attachment:
PIC00033 (2).JPG
PIC00033 (2).JPG [ 134.74 KiB | Viewed 2678 times ]
Although not plastic or resin these white metal figures are very easy to work with.
They need work to convert but are another option

Roy

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:18 am 

Thanks Roy

These are nice figures and are modelled in a quite "human" pose. Some cheap figures tend to look like they have been run over by a steam roller, possibly as this makes them easier to mass produce.
I shall have to try hard to get my figures to look as good as this.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:59 pm 

Hi all

Having previously removed the top of the figures head, I now needed to give him an officers hat. Using a hole punch I cut out a small disc of 1mm plastic card, followed by another disc slightly larger but the same thickness. The smaller disc was the same diameter as the figures head. These discs were glued, with solvent weld, to the top of the officers head, small disc first.
Punching out a hole, followed by another, larger but off set created a tiny crescent which was glued in place to create the peak of the hat. When the glue had set this hat was tidied up and gently sanded.
The epoxy putty was used to create the beard and mustache and also to make the trousers slightly more baggy. It's a little difficult to see the detail as everything is white but it will show up much better when the figure is primed.

Attachments:
File comment: Two plastic card discs were used to create the officers hat.
IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1341.JPG [ 134.14 KiB | Viewed 2654 times ]
File comment: A hole punch was also used to create the a small crescent used for the peak of the hat.
IMG_1342.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG [ 119.94 KiB | Viewed 2654 times ]
File comment: When dry the hat was tidied up.
IMG_1343.JPG
IMG_1343.JPG [ 126.98 KiB | Viewed 2654 times ]
File comment: Epoxy putty was used to add the facial hair.
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG [ 118.11 KiB | Viewed 2654 times ]
File comment: Epoxy putty was also used to make the trousers more baggy and to add a Victorian stiff collar.
IMG_1346.JPG
IMG_1346.JPG [ 107.53 KiB | Viewed 2654 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:54 pm 

Hello,

Keep it coming, I love this build and the figure looks great. I am thinking of converting some rail way figures for my 1/72 project and am watching what you are doing with great interest.

Thanks.

Dry docked:
1/72 HMCS Assiniboine DDE 234-1960
1/72 HMCS Ottawa DDE 229-1960
1/72 HMCS St. Catharines-River Class Frigate-1944
On the slipway:
1/72 HMCS Camrose-Flower Class Corvette-1943
1/72 HMCS Trillium-Flower Class Corvette-1942

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:48 am 

James

I found working on these figures a slow but very rewarding task. Working on 1/72 scale figures would be a challenge (merely the small size) and a good magnifier would be essential. I also discovered that working on the figures in short bursts was much easier. Coming back to them after a break gave the epoxy putty time to harden and you also look at the work with fresh eyes and see errors and flaws you had overlooked.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:17 am 

Hi all

I had decided to model two officers with different poses. The second was to be standing on the (open) bridge of another model, holding the stanchion rails. I therefore needed to re position both arms. Having removed the moulded in plastic arms I drilled a 3mm hole in the shoulders to ensure the new arms (formed from epoxy putty) had a strong key.

The epoxy putty was rolled between the fingers very roughly to shape, and pressed into the shoulder forcing it into the pre-drilled hole. The arm was bent and positioned. I then set it aside for about 6 hours. Gently pulling on the arm when the epoxy had set, removed it and then I was able to CA glue it back in place. This gave a much stronger bond than just the putty/plastic and keyed the new arm into the hole in the shoulder. You need a strong bond if you are going to carve the putty without pulling the arm off.

The tools used for shaping the figure were just a sharp scalpel, fine files, dental probes and a selection of wooden coffee stirring sticks with various grades of abrasive paper stuck on the end with CA. The latter are very handy little tools and leaving the sticks full length makes them easy to hold and use, and good for reaching into difficult spots.

Attachments:
File comment: The new arm was formed from epoxy putty. It is over size and will be subsequently carved to shape.
IMG_1347.JPG
IMG_1347.JPG [ 146.89 KiB | Viewed 2635 times ]
File comment: Some of the tools used for carving and shaping the figure.
IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG [ 147.21 KiB | Viewed 2635 times ]
File comment: The arm starts to take shape.
IMG_1351.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG [ 124.53 KiB | Viewed 2635 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:32 pm 

Hi Steve,

Sorry I missed you on your visit.

Eduard do some 48th scale figures which are quite nice. Gloxinia is going to be crewed by US Navy aviation mechanics and Luftwaffe aircrew :big_grin:

All the best
Sandy

P.S. Nice mods on the figure too.... :cool_1:

PICKETBOAT wrote:
Phil

Your are correct and I had some how forgotten this fact. I think O gauge is 1/43rd scale (not wanting to be pedantic) but quite acceptable size wise. I found some nice little O gauge white metal figures at a UK model rail show a few years back. No sailors but a reasonable selection of overall clad workmen, drivers and canal boat skippers proved very use-able with minor modifications, however they were heavy, and I had to be quite careful not to over populate the deck of small, slim, shallow drafted sailing models for fear of compromising stability.
Light weight plastic figures are most suitable and easiest to modify and I'm always on the look out for additional sources of 1/48th or 1/43rd scale figures. Thanks for flagging this up Phil, I shall hunt through possible US sources. In the mean time keep watching to see my crew members take shape after the initial "dismembering" stage.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:51 pm 

Hi all

Thanks Sandy. I shall follow up your tip regarding the Eduard figures.

The next stage with these figures was to alter the cut of the trousers. Again epoxy putty was used to make the officers trousers slightly more baggy and to add to a distinct "bell bottom" to the seamen's trousers. Some of the seamen had their feet altered (shoes carved away) as I wanted some to be bare foot.

Self adhesive aluminium foil tape is very handy for adding detail to the clothing and here I used it to add a stiff Victorian collar to the officer and also for adding the distinctive Navy collar to the seamen's uniform. Because is stays where it's put, it is very easy to use for jobs like this, much better than using thin plastic or paper strip which springs out of place. You can even add draped cloth or overcoats with care as you can work in the creases. Belts are very easy.

The epoxy putty still looks a bit rough at this stage and will need careful sanding to get a smooth finish and remove the evidence of carving. Small patches of fine abrasive on foam backing follows the contours well.

Attachments:
File comment: Aluminium tape is used to add a stiff collar to the officer figure.
IMG_1352.JPG
IMG_1352.JPG [ 130.3 KiB | Viewed 2566 times ]
File comment: Epoxy putty is used to make the trousers a more baggy fit.
IMG_1353.JPG
IMG_1353.JPG [ 116.59 KiB | Viewed 2566 times ]
File comment: Aluminium tape is used to add the sailor's collar. It will be trimmed to length when it is on the figure (green dashed line).
IMG_1356.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG [ 96.78 KiB | Viewed 2566 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 pm 

Hi all

Another feature noticeable on the old photos of RN sailors was the lanyard around the sailors necks. I'm pretty sure they usually had a clasp knife on the end of these, and they were all tucked into their breast pocket. I modeled the lanyard using very fine lead wire. This is very useful stuff available from the fishing tackle shop and normally used for making fishing flies. It's easy to manipulate and sticks well with CA.

The figure at this stage is "getting there" but still needs some fine sanding before being sprayed with primer. This fills the remaining fine scratches, but I had to be careful as too many coats will fill up the detail and take away any crisp edges. As with other work I found the red coloured primer made it easier to see blemishes and errors.

You are probably asking why all the figures have walking sticks! No my models are not going to be crewed by aged sailors. I had previously decided to use these figures as masters to cast figures for some of my other models so the "walking sticks" are to allow air bubbles to escape from the silicon rubber moulds during the casting process. That's the plan anyway we shall have to see if it works in practice.

Attachments:
File comment: The lanyard around the sailors neck has been added using fine lead wire. The "walking stick" is to aid air escape when the figure is cast in resin.
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1357.JPG [ 75.21 KiB | Viewed 2520 times ]
File comment: The figure has been mounted on a plastic card base with sloping edges.
IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1358.JPG [ 66.49 KiB | Viewed 2520 times ]
File comment: The figure has been sprayed with primer. This fills the fine surface scratches and gives a good surface to form a mould on. This figure will eventually hold a boat hook.
IMG_1359.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG [ 89.55 KiB | Viewed 2520 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:59 am 

Hi all

Here are some of the other figures also at the primer stage.

Again "walking sticks" have been added to allow air bubbles to escape easily from out stretched arms during the resin casting process.

Attachments:
File comment: This seaman will sit in the stern with his arm along the cockpit edge. He could also be operating the tiller of a launch if need be.
IMG_1360.JPG
IMG_1360.JPG [ 92.8 KiB | Viewed 2489 times ]
File comment: One of the officers.
IMG_1362.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG [ 87.8 KiB | Viewed 2489 times ]
File comment: The other officer holding the stanchion rails.
IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG [ 92.76 KiB | Viewed 2489 times ]
File comment: This seaman will be at the helm.
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1363.JPG [ 79.06 KiB | Viewed 2489 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:35 pm 

Hi all

The individual figures, on their bases, were then grouped on a larger plastic card base which will carry the walls for retaining the moulding silicon rubber.

Attachments:
File comment: The three sailors mounted as a group. This is how they will be encapsulated in the RTV rubber.
IMG_1365.JPG
IMG_1365.JPG [ 115.79 KiB | Viewed 2448 times ]
File comment: These are the two officer treated the same way.
IMG_1366.JPG
IMG_1366.JPG [ 99.19 KiB | Viewed 2448 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:52 am 

Hello PICKETBOAT!

Wow, you have posted some very interesting updates since
my latest visit. I wish I could spend more time with my models :cry_3:
And Man, you've made a very good job on your small vessel!
Now I am really curious about the further build up process of
your sailors. But besides that, do you know nordic/pole walking :big_grin: ?

Thank you for posting!

Regards

Chrischan

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:28 am 

This thread is an education...many thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing the end result Steve.

Hopefully I'll have my picket boat (not up to your standard though) ready for sea trials at the NWW in Glasgow.

Take care
Gary

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:08 pm 

Thanks Gary thanks Chrischan

You are right a bit like Nordic pole/walking.

The next stage however makes the figures look a little like they are all waiting in a bus shelter! :lol_1:

Three of the walls have been installed which will contain the RTV silicon rubber to form the mould. These are made from plastic card off cuts and glued with solvent weld adhesive. The inside of the mould and the figures are then coated with release agent. The advantage of priming the figures with flat red primer is that it clearly shows where the release agent has been applied so there is less chance of missing a section. Leaving off one side makes it easier to apply the release agent. A soft clean artist brush was used and I bent the aluminium ferrule with pliers to make it easier to reach difficult spots. The last side of the mould retaining walls was then added and held in place with tape. I used tape to seal all the joints so the RTV silicon did not leak out. The inner surface of the last side was then coated with release agent.

Attachments:
File comment: The retaining wall for the mould.
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG [ 94.12 KiB | Viewed 2378 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:44 am 

Hi all

The next stage was to fill the plastic card box with RTV silicon rubber, carefully measured and catalysed in this case with slow (blue) catalyst. This had previously been de gassed in a vacuum chamber to 18 inches of mercury. The whole mould was then put into a pressure chamber and left overnight at 50 psi. The following day the walls of the mould were removed.

Attachments:
File comment: The RTV rubber was poured into the box.
001 (3).JPG
001 (3).JPG [ 124.01 KiB | Viewed 2333 times ]
File comment: The tape was removed along with the front wall of the box.
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 147.57 KiB | Viewed 2333 times ]
File comment: The other three walls were then broken away.
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 130.42 KiB | Viewed 2333 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:23 pm 

Hi all

It was at this point I did a little calculation and figured I had spent about as much time working on the seven figures as I had making up pretty much all of the picket boat model !!!!!!!!

The next stage was to remove the figures (masters) from their entombment within the RTV silicon rubber. This is a little tricky and needs a sharp scalpel, a steady hand and a good light.

I started at one end and making an incision along the mid line, making repeated cuts, until I met approximately the side line of the figures, then continuing along to the next figure. Pulling the mould apart as I went along was a bit difficult (you sort of need three hands for this) but eventually I went all the way along and half the mould came away. The figures were still captivated by their out stretched arms and "walking sticks" so secondary incisions were made at 90 degrees until I came to the "walking sticks" . The figures were then carefully removed. The mould was checked and fitted back together and secured with three small rubber bands.

I was now ready for casting.

Attachments:
File comment: A sharp scalpel was used to split the rubber mould.
004.JPG
004.JPG [ 112.81 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]
File comment: Holding the mould apart while cutting was difficult.
005.JPG
005.JPG [ 119 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]
File comment: The mould was eventually cut in half.
006.JPG
006.JPG [ 101.92 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]
File comment: Secondary cuts had been made into the mould to meet the out stretched arms and "walking sticks".
007.JPG
007.JPG [ 101.67 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]
File comment: The two mould halves fitted very neatly back together and were secured with three rubber bands.
008.JPG
008.JPG [ 124.63 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:23 pm 

Hi all

Here you can see the secondary incisions into to RTV mould (at 90 degrees), which make it possible to extract the figures with out-stretched arms and "walking sticks". Next I pour resin.

Attachments:
File comment: The secondary incisions into the mould.
005.JPG
005.JPG [ 119.41 KiB | Viewed 2223 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:34 am 

Hi all

Well this is the moment of truth. You never really know how well these moulds work until you try them out.

I poured the resin and increased the pressure pot internal pressure to 50 psi.

Not bad results in the end. OK so it's not exactly "Games Workshop" quality but for home produced figures they are not too bad. There was a small amount of very thin, and thus easily removed, flash along the mould seam. The "walking sticks were very easily removed with small side cutters. These served their purpose very well and there was no loss of limbs.

Beards and chins are a slight problem with small air bubbles trapped under the figures chins on some de moulds. A fine incision in the RTV mould,vertically under the chin allowed the bubble out. The resulting "web" under the chin was easily removed on the de moulded figure.

Attachments:
File comment: The first figures out of the mould.
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 141.44 KiB | Viewed 2194 times ]
File comment: Some fine flash was left along the mould seam.
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 125.81 KiB | Viewed 2194 times ]
File comment: The "walking sticks" served their purpose.
003.JPG
003.JPG [ 148.25 KiB | Viewed 2194 times ]
File comment: The "walking sticks" were removed with small side cutter.
004.JPG
004.JPG [ 165.62 KiB | Viewed 2194 times ]

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:19 am 

Hi Picketboat!

That's a great result. These figures will definately add
a decent amount of „liveliness” to your boat.

Regards

Chrischan

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next