The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:39 am 

Unfortunately, Dave has had to close the site to further orders as they have all they can do to deal with the orders already in before the close of business tomorrow. After that, he cannot legally process any more orders as WEM will be in the hands of the liquidators.

Shady Grove Farm on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShadyGroveDuckEggs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:59 am 

I feared that was the case, sad news.

Never a good time but especially at this time of the year, my thoughts with all of the team.

'There are 2 kinds of ships, submarines and targets.'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:29 am 

:doh_1: :sorry: :cry_3: :cry_3: :cry_3:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:30 am 

It is a sad time. WEM were always there when you needed that little bit of extra detail to add to your current project. They were so polite, helpful and friendly when you contacted them.

I will miss them.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:31 am 

This are the most sad news in these days. The shipmodelling scene is loosing a fantastic producer of extremly useful items, a very helpful and easy going trader and last but not least a fantastic team. Every body who had the feavour to meet them personaly knows that they all had been far more helpful friends than sleek traders.

Unfortunately economics are the only thing that counts in our days. Maybe we have to take us on our own noses for not going always the cheapest way.

Thank you for all you have done developing products and taking the risk. You did a grat job!

I miss you

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:58 pm 

I only got back to modelling about 10 years ago, and the modelling world had changed a lot in 30 years! However my love of German warships has always been part of me and when I found you could buy the right paint for them I was over the moon.! WEM gave us something we all strive for- authenticity. I thank you all at WEM for giving me that joy.

I hope everything works out for you and maybe one day you will reappear.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:04 pm 

It is sad news indeed, and I wish the WEM family all the best for their future endeavours (including Peter Hall's Atlantic Models business). I cherish the PE sets which I had bought from you in the past, and I can tell you that in Japan WEM is seen also a very high-quality producer much respected. You will be missed!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:27 am 
Bad news for modelers, especially UK based but even worse news for employment and I'm sorry to hear that part of it even more, however, there's an on-line business there somewhere - time to rethink?

All the best to all of you,

Peter F

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:33 am 

Truly a tragedy , also being an old timer customer from WEM ,and always received first class service from them,just realize how sad is this news. Hope the best for the WEM team and my THANKS for so wonderful items you created.

3.- Don't build it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:08 am 

Very sad news, sad to lose the product, and sad to lose the awesome service and people involved!

As a testament to how cool the people at WEM are, I will never forget when they showed us test shots of their 1/350 USS Wasp LHD set, and I jokingly suggested the only thing missing was a figure of my beloved "Lulu" midget blow-up doll that I used to strap to the brush guard of my Humvee, and wouldn't ya know, they went ahead and added Lulu as a "figurehead" on their vehicle fret for that kit!!! :big_grin:

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors both personal and professional. Thanks for a great run!

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:25 pm 

This really bites! Sorry to hear this news John & everyone at WEM. One of the best companies I've had the pleasure of dealing with & was always given A+++ Customer Service :thumbs_up_1: Thanks for all you've done for us modelers WEM!! Wish you all the best in future endeavors...

On the Bench:
1/720 Italeri CVN-68 ca 1976/77
1/800 ARii 1/800 CV-59 backdating to 1961 (CVA-59)
1/700Trumpy USS Hornet CV-8 "Doolittle Raiders"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:44 pm 
OK, you WEM fans - please "LIKE" Mad Pete's Atlantic Models Facebook page - without his awesome talents, we would not have progressed from a 2-bit, part-time backroom business to where we got to before I left in January 2012 ... with a million $$ a year turnover!

In my books Pete's photoetched brass designs were - and still are - the envy of other producers. Peter was the CORE of White Ensign Models! His pattern quality and detail repeatedly set new standards in the business. Peter Hall's Atlantic Models is alive, kicking, and now the endlessly talented Peter Hall has the opportunity for steady expansion with ALL our help :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlantic ... 5735431676

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:53 pm 
Gold Medal Models
Gold Medal Models

Gold Medal Models and White Ensign Models for many years enjoyed a very active and productive relationship and I will seriously miss doing business with them. While WEM and Peter Hall worked hard to produce an impressive series of photoetched detail sets, some of which competed directly with GMM products, they continued to place large orders from us right to the end. And they also promoted us. Moreover, we seemed to have an unspoken gentlemen's agreement about not duplicating each others' efforts in the last few years of our working together.

Such was the civilized and friendly nature of WEM's entire crew.

The company's passing is, to me, tragic. These are all very good people and they have added an immeasurable level of happiness to our lives.

I want to thank everyone at WEM for their unflagging kindness and honesty through all these years.

May God bless you and your families as you move on to the next chapters of your lives.

Gold Medal Models

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:00 am 

Caroline Snyder wrote:
OK, you WEM fans - please "LIKE" Mad Pete's Atlantic Models Facebook page - without his awesome talents, we would not have progressed from a 2-bit, part-time backroom business to where we got to before I left in January 2012 ... with a million $$ a year turnover!

In my books Pete's photoetched brass designs were - and still are - the envy of other producers. Peter was the CORE of White Ensign Models! His pattern quality and detail repeatedly set new standards in the business. Peter Hall's Atlantic Models is alive, kicking, and now the endlessly talented Peter Hall has the opportunity for steady expansion with ALL our help :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlantic ... 5735431676

And buy the products, they are great.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:28 am 

What does it means exactly - do they close the shop, but keep producing / developing products, or do they stop production as well?

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:15 am 

Alex_f wrote:
What does it means exactly - do they close the shop, but keep producing / developing products, or do they stop production as well?

Alex

As i understand it WEM are finshed, unfortunately, Atlantic Models is a seperate business mainly producing RN Cold War subjects to a very high standard. He also did a lot of work for WEM.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:59 am 

http://www.atlanticmodels.net

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:59 pm 

As I have mournfully read this thread, I noticed a number of comments regarding the possibility of some of the WEM model and PE line being resurrected by other firms (although mention of the inventory going to "liquidators" casts an ominous shadow on that theory).

It strikes me that no one has mentioned the potential of the "Color Coat" paint line being licensed for production in other countries, like the US..... as UK export seems to have been the problem there.

Last edited by Pagodaphile on Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:26 pm 

Pagodaphile wrote:
I strikes me that no one has mentioned the potential of the "Color Coat" paint line being licensed for production in other countries, like the US..... as UK export seems to have been the problem there.

I've thought of this as well. A licensee in North America would have access to reliable, competitively-priced ground transport services; essential for these paints. That being the case, why has this not already happened? It's not news that Colourcoats cannot be shipped by air, anywhere.
I suspect that the market is simply too small. That there were only a handful of Colourcoats importers in the US at the best of times tends to bear this out.
A private conversation with someone knowledgeable in these matters, in the US (not our friend John Snyder :smallsmile: ), leads me to conclude that US production/distribution of the line is highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:52 pm 

Pagodaphile wrote:
As I have mournfully read this thread, I noticed a number of comments regarding the possibility of some of the WEM model and PE line being resurrected by other firms (although mention of the inventory going to "liquidators" casts an ominous shadow on that theory).

It strikes me that no one has mentioned the potential of the "Color Coat" paint line being licensed for production in other countries, like the US..... as UK export seems to have been the problem there.

I asked the question a page or two ago if the export ban from UK airmail had any effect on their business. No responses yet. I used to purchase a lot of those paints into Australia and it all stopped when they were banned from exporting. I would imagine there would have been many small time hobby ship builders that purchased those paints around the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next