The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:26 am 

Before I begin, let me just say

:woo_hoo:

Anyways, like many others, the idea of a new Yorktown class plastic kit in 1/350 (to replace the horror that is the Trumpeter Hornet) has been not only of logic, but also of hope and desire. Any finally at the end of last year, Merit answered our prayers. It should be noted that the kit itself is not perfect (are any?), and one of its errors is pretty noticeable. That said, its a light and day difference to the Trumpeter Hornet that was released like 10 years ago. Naturally, as a fan of a the Yorktown class carriers, I was quick to preorder this kit. While my Portland awaits better weather for construction to continue, I am able to start my Yorktown. I made a promise that this kit would be built strictly Out of the Box. And in the spirit of doing that, I decided I would not be sanding down the hull. Im sure you'll see plenty of that from everybody else, and most likely myself in the future. But until then, heres a very long (and slow!) build of my USS Yorktown.

Here's what I was able to do in January

Hull planted to included tray while awaiting proper base. The shape is beautiful, despite the surface covered with chicken pox.

Directions made assembling the Mk 34 (?) Directors a bit hard, trying to figure out the exact placement for the kit supplied p/e

Starting with the supports to the Fire Control Platform. Placement is marked in the directions (though not very well)

Here's the front part of the platform, which is p/e and attached. Notice that when the p/e is bent into position, there are still gaps present, which will require filling

Speaking of the gaps and filling, they will be required with the Primary Flight Control Room.

Once you start attaching the tripod to the FC Platform, I noticed that the placement of 2 supports blocked the rear legs, and had to be moved. Also, 2 supports stick out of the side of the platform

There we go

Started on the air wing. The kit include 5 F4F Wildcats, 5 SBD Dauntless, and 5 TBD Devastators

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:35 am 

More progress began with the island itself. One of the trickiest p/e builds for this kind of carrier are the rear stairs and rails. I had struggled with it in 1/700, so wasn't exactly looking forward to it in 1/350. However, Merit made it pretty easy, kudos to them.

Wings added to the Fire Control Platform

With most of the gaps filled in, the PryFly was attached

The railing infront required a bit of trimming, came very close to ruining the p/e, but after an hour managed to make it look decent

A good side view to show the p/e added, all supplied from the kit. The stuff is great to work with for the most part

PryFly Supports added

Now adding the p/e above the PryFly (hate curving p/e), and starting to get the hull ready for primer prep, as its now firmly attached to its new base.

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:58 am 

Very nice start! I was waiting to see a construction thread of this one. It seems to be a very nice kit.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:02 am 

I did not realize the kit included that much PE. Looking good so far!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:59 pm 

Nice clean work. Makes it look very good.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:14 pm 

Very nice build thus far!! :thumbs_up_1:

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress as I am still in the process of sanding down the hull whenever I have time.

TOMLABEL

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:22 pm 

Nice to see a build log on this. Looking forward to your next update.

On the bench:

1/200 USS Enterprise, CV-6

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:41 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Angeliccypher wrote:
I did not realize the kit included that much PE. Looking good so far!

Hear, hear. Included PE definitely makes the price of the kit look better, too.

Looks great.

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:49 pm 

Your off to a great start!

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:50 pm 

Great start!

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:40 am 

Thanks all

You do get a good amount of p/e, enough to finish the carrier. All rails are premeasured and for the most part, fit.

More rails on the island, god I hate curving p/e...

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:31 am 

Thanks for this, JTninja. It'll be nice to have a reference like this when I start mine. There are lots of talented builders here who see things which aren't obvious to me.

Having all the PE included is what pushed me over the edge to get it. I'm torn about how far to go (if at all) with replacing the kit armament.

I did get an aftermarket decal set for the air group, but I am happy with this kit.

The graded Ms 12 will be a nice change of scenery in my cabinet too. :smallsmile: Too much Ms 21 makes me go blind.

Ed

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:59 am 

Outstanding work so far. Really glad to see that the PE is going together well with the island. I know that was one of the questions they had at Merit as they didn't have time to do a full test build before the kit went to production.

I'm hoping to start sanding and cutting my hull either this coming weekend or next: I'm removing the plating and cutting her down to waterline.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 am 

Very, very nice! And I also wanted to compliment you on the picture quality, which is outstanding. If you don't mind, may I ask what kind of camera you are using and if you are employing any special settings? -Tim

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:39 pm 

Great looking build so far. I don't do much 1/350 but I love the Yorktown so I am watching this build with interest. I may have to grab one of these for myself!!

Current projects:
1/700 USS Catamount 1960
1/350 USS Columbia 1945
1/350 USS San Francisco 1944

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:25 pm 

All the bru ha ha over this model and no posts in over two months. What's up with that?

On the bench:

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 2:05 pm 

Thanks everyone for the nice words :)

ComfortablyNumb wrote:
If you don't mind, may I ask what kind of camera you are using and if you are employing any special settings? -Tim

I use a Pentax K-3 with a 18-135mm lens on a tripod, and shoot on a timer so I can have a longer shutter to get more detail :)

Mgunns wrote:
All the bru ha ha over this model and no posts in over two months. What's up with that?

Little progress and have been rather busy. With our local IPMS show in April, I spent much more time on my model cars and the ship, mainly because those were nearly finished and could be in time for the show. Also have 2 different weeks when I was out of state. So lots of time lost. Now I have a bit of time to keep working until Mid-June. The hull has been primered and will be painted over the next week and a half. Once thats done I can get the hanger deck going well. Heres some shots of the hull and gap filling.

One area I ran into trouble was the forward railing that cuts into the front of the what I think are the exhaust funnels. The directions on mention 1 piece of railing is used, but in reality that single piece is not long enough. After doing a bit of research, I found a picture of Merit's built model shows they used a different railing around the spot lights. Wish the instructions could tell me what to use, but alas, thats something I'll have to figure out later.

Also worth noting, the top railing to the funnels is terrible. You're supposed to be the struts downwards and attach to the funnel cover. Good idea, except in this case, the struts are strong that the rail itself, so every time I attempted to bend a strut downwards, the entire rail became bent and twisted. This single rail took me about 2 weeks to complete due to lack of patience and frustration.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:21 pm 
Thank you for the info you have shared on your OOB build!!! It will be invaluable to the rest of us who are planning different approaches to building this kit! :worship_1:

I see you have run into the same type of difficulties as me. I should have had the hull sanded smooth by now, but the Indy races at Barbers Motor Speedway, work/friends/life/etc recently, all seem to interject themselves at the most in-opportune moments.

I will be posting some pics of a sanded hull very soon the the Merit Yorki Hull thread soon (hopefully)!!! But......

TOMLABEL

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 5:44 am 

Those funnel railings were just as ugly using aftermarket on the CV-8. Although the engineering was not the issue. It was the kindergarten level drawings they used for the instructions. You on the other hand I applaud. Your work result is very good.

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:54 pm 

Thanks for sharing your work and frustration with the PE railings. What you have done is noteworthy. Maybe the aftermarket guys will come up with something better PE wise than the kit PE. I have this kit and it is on the list, but now the 1/200 Arizona occupies my time.
I'm glad you posted and I look forward to your updates on this model.

On the bench:

Report this post