The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:58 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Looking really good. I just love the look and history of this class and your build is a great work.

By the way, I'm available for any future winter trips to Costa Rica. :cool_2:

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:34 pm 

Costa Rica in February has become a regular thing for us. We go to Tamarindo on the Pacific coast and have friends here who now own property in town, and we've become good friends with a lot of the locals, so it's become our "We have to go somewhere NOW" spot.

Back into the build. I asked elsewhere on the board about whether to rig before or after the gloss and dull coats. The answer was overwhelmingly to rig very last -- which is the way I've always done it, but just wanted some different opinions -- so Benson has now been Futured (I'm not sure that's a proper verb, but I like using it).

Not much to see in the photos except an overall shot with some equipment, and close-ups. I use Grex airbrushes now, and really like them. The Genesis is the button trigger model, small top feed color cup. I use this for the majority of my work, as I like to work in close with low air pressure. The top-feed color cup means you can work with very low pressure and very thinned paint (I'm not exactly sure what pressures I'm working at, but they have to be less than 5psi most of the time). The Tritium is for bigger work, the pistol trigger and the large side-feed color cup make larger surfaces and longer working sessions much easier to handle. The great thing about these airbrushes is that all of the interior parts, caps, needles, washers, etc. are all totally interchangeable between the two models. The only draw back to this setup is that sometimes I like to work REALLY fine, and when you get to a certain low pressure on these you get a little pulsating and the paint tends to dry too fast on the tips (I mostly use acrylics). I have a Badger Sotar 20/20 that I LOVE for those times I really need that fine control, but that airbrush has been broken for over a year now and I can't seem to get it resolved through Badger; so much so that they're sick of hearing from me and won't even answer my emails anymore! :big_grin:

The Future will cure today, tomorrow I can start with the washes. I'm going very light on the weathering on her because she's a full hull display. Just a wash to pick out details, a light drybrushing, and maybe some very very light vertical streaks on the hull to break it up a bit.

Attachments:
File comment: Tools of the trade.
IMG_6053.jpg
IMG_6053.jpg [ 184.46 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]
File comment: .50 cal mounts installed forward. This is the last of the little bits that I can install before rigging.
IMG_6054.jpg
IMG_6054.jpg [ 148.16 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]
File comment: Hard to tell due to the lightness of the paint, but this area is very glossy to allow better control of the coming pin wash. Lots of detail in this area.
IMG_6055.jpg
IMG_6055.jpg [ 158.33 KiB | Viewed 2397 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:02 pm 

Looks great. You going to pick out the pilot house windows with a wash?

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne

Ship Model Gallery

Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:07 pm 

Yes, that's the main reason for the wash. With it mounted on the Panavise I can flip it on the sides to fill the portholes. Like I did on the Luzon.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:19 pm 

Just two photos today. Decals applied and anchors installed. I actually totally forgot about the anchors before the gloss coat. No worries, as once the decals finish drying, I'll go over them with a light mist of Future so they blend for weathering, and I'll hit the anchors with some gloss at the same time.

Attachments:
File comment: As with everything else in this kit, the decals are exceptional. Thick enough to work with, react well with setting solution, and dry very thin.
IMG_6056.jpg
IMG_6056.jpg [ 155.83 KiB | Viewed 2325 times ]
File comment: The extra fine depth markings are a nice touch. The only thing I wish I had is some dry transfer decals to do the stern nameplate, so that it would stand proud of the stern like the real thing.
IMG_6057.jpg
IMG_6057.jpg [ 138.56 KiB | Viewed 2325 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:24 pm 

Wash in progress. As I stated, I love the Panavise as I can flip the model on its side to make sure the portholes get good and filled with wash. I don't like to drill out portholes, even in 1/350th scale, but you need something to make them pop.

I started using the MIG pre-mixed washes a year or so ago. At first I was one of those that said "How lazy can you be, to us pre-mixed washes?", but then I tried it once. They get a much finer grain to the paint solution than I have ever been able to achieve, and they dry in a matter of hours instead of the days it takes for a mineral spirits and oil paint mixture to set up. And yes, I've tried making washes with naptha instead of mineral spirits, and while it dried faster, it never dried properly, suffering a lot of crazing.

I've also done some work on the props.

Attachments:
File comment: Portholes have been filled with two passes, building up the color gradually. Once dry I'll go over it with a swap dampened in mineral spirits to clean up any gross over applications.
IMG_6058.jpg
IMG_6058.jpg [ 120.69 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]
File comment: The director needs more work. I put the wash on too thick at first, so I've cleaned it with thinner, will let it dry, then go again.
IMG_6060.jpg
IMG_6060.jpg [ 117.75 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]
File comment: Primed the props with Vallejo black primer, shot them with Alclad brass, then noticed some blemishes. A little Mr. Dissolved Putty and then I'll sand and try again.
IMG_6059.jpg
IMG_6059.jpg [ 131.95 KiB | Viewed 2267 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:49 am 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Great workmanship of a good looking ship!

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby

Last edited by ModelMonkey on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:41 pm 

I allowed the wash to dry for 3 evenings, mostly because I was busy with other things, but it gave it a good solid finish before the dullcoat. I've been using Testors Dullcoat decanted out of a rattlecan for some time now, as it gives a perfect flat finish, but that stuff does stink to high heaven, and I just prefer to use acrylics when I can. Sargentx in this topic http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=156653 introduced me to the Golden UV clear coats. The flat is dead flat, as much so as the Testors lacquer, maybe even a bit more. I cut it with just a small amount of their satin so that there's the slightest sheen and so that the blue hue to the paint isn't lost, and shot it, thinned 1:1 with water. I had to be careful as it was just a little too thin, so I'll change that ratio next time, but it came out beautifully. I have found my new clearcoats. (and don't worry, you don't have to buy them in big bulk jugs, they sell it in smaller squeeze bottles).

Next up was a drybrush. I normally do that with oils or enamels, but I'm running out of time, and went with Vallejo Silver Gray, cut with extender and glaze medium. It gave such a nice highlight effect, and so subtle, that I'm afraid I'll lose the shading if I clear coat again, so I'm going to move onto rigging next.

Attachments:
IMG_6061.jpg
IMG_6061.jpg [ 150.87 KiB | Viewed 2151 times ]
IMG_6063.jpg
IMG_6063.jpg [ 173.91 KiB | Viewed 2151 times ]
IMG_6064.jpg
IMG_6064.jpg [ 147.47 KiB | Viewed 2151 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:09 pm 

Rigging is under way. I started running the flag halyards, but then realized they'd be in the way for the mast stays, so I jumped to them instead. Using EZ line that's been snapped and then had individual strands pulled out of it. The strechyness (is that a word?) is very forgiving to work with. Another bonus is that, unlike the Caenis thread, the mucilage glue is sticking to this stuff wonderfully.

Attachments:
File comment: Starting at the base of the gun director. I've drilled the tiniest holes I can and dip the tip of the line into superglue, then thread them into the holes. The clothes pin isn't full-sized, they're tiny ones I picked up in a doll store years ago, they have just the right amount of weight and grip for rigging work.
IMG_6068.jpg
IMG_6068.jpg [ 176.41 KiB | Viewed 2108 times ]
File comment: Also adding the life rafts. You can also see how I've painted the lifelines a darker color to blend with the deck. I really like the result.
IMG_6069.jpg
IMG_6069.jpg [ 191.29 KiB | Viewed 2108 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:08 pm 

She's looking really good, Devin.

Report this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:17 pm 

Thanks. I'm forcing myself not to go nuts on the detailing, and to try new stuff. I'm really liking the EZ Line for rigging so far; very forgiving. I'm also forcing myself to not weather her too much, as she's full hull.

Report this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:10 pm 

I always dread rigging, until I get into it. Then I remember how it's the one bit that really brings a ship model to life. I have the flag halyards done, used Caenis line, and the running rigging and stays are mostly done, using fibers of EZ Line for those. Should finish the rigging tomorrow, then get her on a base this weekend. All on track for MosquitoCon next Saturday the 4th.

Attachments:
IMG_6072.jpg
IMG_6072.jpg [ 182.53 KiB | Viewed 2013 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:51 am 

That's looking very good Devin!
I like how the deck and vertical surfaces contrast, and how smooth and thin you got the paint on the model.

One question: do you know what the cylindrical thing is, that is attached to the front top of the mainmast? Lexington had one too in '42, and I have seen it on many period photo's ships, but I couldn't find its' purpose.

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:45 am 

Marijn,

That's a crow's nest, a lookout position. When in use the top is flipped up and one or two crewmembers are stationed there. I honestly don't know how it was accessed on these ships, on some you came up through a hatch in the bottom, on big ships they could climb up inside the mast leg to gain access.

Two photos below. The first shows the top of the 'nest with open top. The second shot is a SIMS class, but same concept; if you zoom in on it you can see what I believe is the head and shoulders of a sailor on watch.

-Devin

Attachments:
0543603.jpg
0543603.jpg [ 71.07 KiB | Viewed 1977 times ]
zDD413x10-26May40lr_zpsade4843f.jpg
zDD413x10-26May40lr_zpsade4843f.jpg [ 96.96 KiB | Viewed 1977 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:51 am 

Thanks Devin!

Funny, I had that photo of Mustin saved to my computer as a reference for building Morris (but Morris didn't have it in may '42)!

Cheers,

Marijn

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:57 am 

Yes, with the war prep modifications made in 1941, those things start to go away. I believe they added the sky lookout chairs around the base of the director on the bridge at the same time the crows nest came down. Later in the war you definitely wouldn't want to be that high up on the mast with a radar above your head!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:59 am 

As Air Search Radars were installed, GENERALLY ... and for certain on destroyers, the crow's nest was removed to make way for the radar.

Report this post
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:20 pm 

Finished the rigging last night, so I want to mount her to the permanent base before I attached the small boats and davits (anyone have any tips for mounting those, by the way?)

I've cut a plank of poplar, and some unknown rectangular stock for keel blocks. Now it's a matter of fitting them out so they look evenly spaced, and that'll be that. I normally put all my ships in a case, and I still may, but I have a glass door bookcase now, so I'll give it a try leaving Benson uncovered for a bit. If dust starts to accumulate, I'll buy an individual case for her later.

Attachments:
IMG_6073.jpg
IMG_6073.jpg [ 122.88 KiB | Viewed 1878 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:18 pm 

Another brief update. The wooden pieces from yesterday have resolved themselves into a fitting base. I have to admit that I was winging it on the keel blocks, and they're probably oversized, but I'm happy with the way it turned out. The two differing wood types contrast well when hit with clear shellac; I used no stain.

Had an issue with attaching Benson to said base, the aft mounting screw was hitting the bottom of the deck, heard that sickening CRACK of plastic beginning to separate, so I stopped immediately, cut 1/4" off the screw, and all is good now.

I have signal blinker lamps, boat davits and boats, and the main searchlight to finish and install. I'll probably add a crew member or two as well, just for scale. Otherwise she's 98% done. Okay, maybe 95.3%. I like dragging out these last few days of a build, my favorite parts of a project are the final touches.

Attachments:
IMG_6074.jpg
IMG_6074.jpg [ 103.17 KiB | Viewed 1834 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:42 pm 

Looks great! One of the problems I always have with mounting ships on keel blocks is the less-than-perfect flatness of the keel on the model - you need slightly different heights for the keel blocks, but won't know what that is until you have them all cut out for dry fitting!

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next