The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:37 am 

It appears to be a wood sticker that will be put out in conjunction with the kit.

The actual wood use on IJN carriers was bei-matsu, which is old growth pine. It has a slight orange tinge to the tan, with golden overtones, if that makes any sense.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:17 pm 

Thank you, Dan.

I will try to be a bit more specific: on the link, the 3rd photo is split into 16 smaller images of a 1/700 Kaga model. In the images

second row from top, far right
third row from top, second picture from right

the bow and stern flight deck overhangs are shown, looking from above. These are coloured on the bow in a base of Sasebo grey, it would seem, with light grey patches on the bow overhang mixed with diagonal dark grey 'catapult' lines, or "tracks"; and on the stern in Sasebo with a dark grey 'line' across the flight deck aft - perhaps a landing indicator?

I spent some time reading a Fujimi 1/700 thread where you posted a great picture of Kaga's forward flight deck and it was suggested that the centre section of the modernisation forward flight deck may well have been the old, bow flight deck parts from the triple deck days, with extra width added outside of the diagonal 'catapult' lines ("tracks"). And perhaps there were no steam catapults placed on the ship at all.

link to thread and good picture:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76712

The material on the forward section is identified as metal plating in this thread.

So with this in mind, is there any confirmation for the different colours of grey being used on the metal plating sections of her flight deck forward and aft?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:16 pm 

Jack, I just can't imagine there being any way of identifying the various grays on her forward flight deck. It's hard to say why there is differentiation in broad areas of the plating. It could be from different paint batches, different timing & wear on the painting/repainting of these areas, differences in surface texture, or something more purposeful. While there does seem to be some clear delineation between some areas, I've yet to uncover a specific mention of why in any reference or source.

The modeler in your example has exercised their own artistic impressions, no doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:27 pm 

Got this picture from http://histoquiz-contemporain.com/
Is this picture real??????? There is another one of Hiryu at Midway if you scroll down.
If these photos are real then e finally see some photos from Midway Battle from the Japanese.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:27 pm 

It's not real. IIRC, the explosion itself is from either USS Lexington or Princeton, superimposed an Akagi model.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:56 pm 

DennisJP wrote:
...There is another one of Hiryu at Midway if you scroll down. If these photos are real then e finally see some photos from Midway Battle from the Japanese.
wow, its all in obolete gibberish :lol_1: ...this is the best pic of Hiryu at Midway. You can see her gutted/burning hanger threw her open flight deck.

Attachments:
Hiryu_burning Small.jpg
Hiryu_burning Small.jpg [ 132.23 KiB | Viewed 4679 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:31 am 
Thanks Dan was quite surprised seeing it. Yes the photo bellow mine posted of Hiryu is real.
Oddly enough the collor 8mm camera that could of taken awesome movie film was in Hornets dive bomber group that gave up and flew to Midway Island but took movie footage of Mogami latter on in the day
Also there was a rear seat gunner on Enterprise that took a photo of Kaga after the plane he was in dive bombing attack. When he was getting the photo developed on the ship a officer came in and saw it and confiscated it. It was not in the Midway report and has never been seen since. So he took it for himself and it is in his private collection. .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:02 pm 

I've heard that story before, Dennis. It's a shame that the photo never surfaced.

IIRC, there were movie cameras and crew aboard Akagi that supposedly filmed several of that morning's attacks, but all was lost when she was abandoned and sunk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:15 am 

DennisJP wrote:
...So he took it for himself and it is in his private collection. .
or he destroyed it.
DennisJP wrote:
…took movie footage of Mogami latter on in the day...
I have been searching for footage or photos of any of the Mogami class, post twin-20cm upgrade. All I can find are some poor photos that don’t show the turrets except in profile or some old international promo-photos with the triple 15.5cm. Does this footage show her twin 20cms?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:12 pm 

As time allows, I can post some photos (not from this alleged film) in the CASF Mogami class thread of Mogami post reconstruction that has views of her main battery.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:46 pm 

One of the few pics I've seen of the Mogamis after conversion to CAs: from L to R we see Chikuma, Tone, Mogami, Suzuya, and Kumano at the 1940 Naval Review.

http://www.ijnwarship.com/IJN%20Lore/Volume%203/Images/NAVAL%20REVIEW%201940-1.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:20 am 

Great shot. Can you re-post on the CASF Mogami thread?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:17 am 

Hey Dan, just going back to the dark and light grey areas on Kaga's metal flight deck, have a look at this pic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... erhead.jpg

What are the darker areas at the bow, then in between the front two elevators just before the island, and the one just in front of the rear elevator's circular striping? I believe the modellers are trying to capture these marks. Also, the new photos of Fujimi's promotional model of 1/350 Kaga show the dark grey section in front of the rear elevator as well. Do your Japanese connections know anything of this?

http://www.fujimimokei.com/item/items/4968728600246/

Kind regards,

Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:30 am 

Well, those dark areas are supposedly metal plating, with no wood deck planking overlaying them. There's no doubt that the forward & aft ends of the flight deck were so plated, same for the elevators, and probably the windscreen by elevator #2. It's probably true for the other areas as well but, you know, photos can be deceiving depending on the light and the angle.

Attachments:
Kaga flight deck overhead, circa 1940-41 (maybe).jpg
Kaga flight deck overhead, circa 1940-41 (maybe).jpg [ 110.46 KiB | Viewed 4230 times ]
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:01 am 

Have just been advised my pre-order 1/350 IJN Kaga + Etch sets are in-stock today and shipping :-)

Rgds

Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:48 pm 

Please post a close-up photo of the flight deck planking when it comes in. That would be much appreciated. Plus any other thoughts. Actually, I suppose that could be posted in the self reporting kit review section.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:09 pm 

Dan these photos may suffice:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10321134n12/40/12
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10321134n6/40/6

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:21 pm 
Jack G wrote:
Hey Dan, just going back to the dark and light grey areas on Kaga's metal flight deck, have a look at this pic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_ ... erhead.jpg

What are the darker areas at the bow, then in between the front two elevators just before the island, and the one just in front of the rear elevator's circular striping? I believe the modellers are trying to capture these marks. Also, the new photos of Fujimi's promotional model of 1/350 Kaga show the dark grey section in front of the rear elevator as well. Do your Japanese connections know anything of this?

http://www.fujimimokei.com/item/items/4968728600246/

Kind regards,

Jack

That is probably areas of touch up paint.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:13 am 

While waiting for my 1/350 Kaga & Etch sets to arrive from Hobby Search, hopefully in the next day or so, I have been looking thru the instructions in more detail and can see that the middle supports for the forward flight deck are "Optional" so the Kaga can be built with 4, or 6 forward support column's, just thought it may be of interest.

I will try and add the page giving the option. The attached from Hobby Search is for discussion only. Hope thats ok.

Thanks
Peter H
Sydney, AU

Attachments:
Ship IJN Kaga 020.jpg
Ship IJN Kaga 020.jpg [ 134.06 KiB | Viewed 3873 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:54 pm 

Thx. As seen on p.8 of this thread, there is convincing photographic evidence that the third set of pillars forward was in place by the time of Pearl Harbor. So, the two set pillar setup would be best for prewar versions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next