The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 43  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:24 pm 

Really ? Boris is back ?

1/350 : SSBN 626 Daniel Webster Mikromir

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:37 pm 

yup, I got an email reply from him 2 weeks ago

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:27 am 

Solomo wrote:
I just ordered a Delta IV from Boris at Polar Bear Models, so I will post it up when it comes.
Paul

Delta IV received Solomo ?

best regards

Pierre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:46 pm 

I was wondering what others' experiences have been with Polar Bear model kits. I just received a Polar Bear Hotel II sub kit and overall, the casting is a bit rough. It arrived without instructions and with both of the 5 bladed propellers having 1 or 3 blades missing on each. Most of the parts I can make decent decisions about, but there are two roughly 1 X 1 red and green squares. Are these for running lights? If not, what are they? There is a pour seam running down the middle of the deck which I will have to carefully remove so as not to destroy details. There are two mounting holes in the bottom of the hull, but they are probably 5-6 mm in diameter, and one has a noticeable outward bulge from the hull which I will carefully sand down. My first kit from Polar Bear and frankly I was a bit disappointed in the overall package.

Anyone had any similar experiences? At the same time I ordered the SSG Growler kit from Blue Ridge Models. Very well cast and very detailed. Quite a contrast between the two.

"Project Azorian: The CIA and the Raising of the K-129" Book
https://www.usni.org/press/books/project-azorian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:38 pm 

I have the following Polar Bear models:

Yasen/Severodvinsk
Delta IV
Oscar II
Alfa
Hotel II
November

I just got the last three a month or so ago and I've been somewhat disappointed with the build quality. My screws came perfectly fine, but I have the same issue with the protruding holes in the bottom and the awkward seam-line on the Hotel. My Oscar II came warped. The entire hull was bent downwards and I had to give it many treatments with boiling water to straighten it out (it's still not 100% straight). The aft planes on my Alfa and Severodvinsk were warped, but that was easily fixed with hot water. The Delta IV is fantastic, as is the *Severodvinsk* (though I think the latter came in something like 1/400 scale instead of 1/350). The Alfa and November are also very good, but the protruding holes on the bottom are present, though not as bad as the Hotel. Besides the warped hull the Oscar II is excellent. I too have not been able to fathom the pieces of paper that come with the models. I've put them in water just to see what would happen and they aren't decals (at least not ones that I've ever seen before). I use decals from old models or the Yankee Model Works/Blue Ridge Soviet Submarine Decal set, which is adequate.

I also have the Blue Ridge Tang, which I think may be the best submarine kit I've ever put together. While the Polar Bear models are definitely of inferior build quality (except for the screws, which are the best I've ever seen in a sub model) they are very accurate and no one else is selling these models in 1/350. Similarly, the Mikro-Mir kits are the only decent ones being made of first and second gen US nucs (besides Blue Ridge's Nautilus). I really hope Blue Ridge expands their range because it only took me about an hour to assemble the Gudgeon compared to the endless hours it takes to coerce the Polar Bear and Mikro-Mir models into shape.

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:29 pm 

Thanks for your detailed reply. Looks as if you have encountered some of the same issues with the Polar Bear kits as I am having with the Hotel II. Yes, the propellers (what is left of them, I should say) looked very accurate, but both arrived broken. I am very interested in the Golf II model, but at the same time hesitant to spend the money (they are not cheap kits!) if I am going to get a model that requires a lot of scratch building and corrections. Sounds as if you received no instruction sheet either. And the utility of the green and red squares remain a mystery.

I agree 100% on the Blue Ridge kits. I have their Albacore, the Gudgeon and now the Growler. All three kits are neatly and carefully packaged, the details crisp and sharp, and the resin they use is definitely one of the best I have ever seen. It reminds me of the now defunct series of Pit Road/Combat Subs (I have their Nautilus (SSN 571) and their Halibut (SSGN 587). Same type of resin, which is tack sharp in rendering the details. Blue Ridge is producing great kits with excellent instruction sheets. I am hoping that they produce Seawolf (SSN 575, not SSN 21). The 575 could come in its original 1955 form (when it carried the sodium liquid metal cooled reactor or the extended length "Special Operations" version (although some parts would not be rendered.

They are also in the process of rereleasing the old MB/Blue Water Navy/Yankee ModelWorks sub kits. I think they are using their new resin for that as well. I believe they may have improved the masters for these models, as most of the originals were missing items like ballast tank openings.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:02 am 

Hi :wave_1:

I bought the Hotel II and same kit like you Tom with same problems .I 'm waiting for another order with the second reference available at freetime hobbies :Graney 885

I would like to have other Polar bears subs (Golf - Yankee - Oscar I .....) but I've an order since april 2014 for 2 1/700 subs (India and Echo I)
Today I have no mail answer and no kit , It is for which on I ask to Solomo if he received his delta IV .Many modelers wait their Polar Bears subs.

Agree too for Blue Ridge Kit :thumbs_up_1: Growler is the best kit I have :woo_hoo: with the Graney , I took the Georgia .Next month , certainly G.Washington class .I look forward the Sierra .

Cheers

Pierre

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:50 pm 

Thanks Kagou for your response! Wow, that is a very long time to wait for a kit order. Makes me extremely hesitant to order a Golf II, which I would dearly love to have, even though it is not cheap. Did the problems with your Hotel II kit also included broken propeller blades?

It was a stark contrast to unpack the two kits. The Hotel II hull was wrapped but the accessories were just taped and fairly loose. The packaging on the Blue Ridge kit was a work of art; multiple, well cushioned compartments.

Last edited by Tom Dougherty on Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:22 am 

I had to get lucky , accessories are intact on my Hotel II , but like you, I do not know what these colored squares.

Last week I contacted boris to change my order for a Golf II or a Yankee but I have no answer .I also still very hesitant ...
it will be interesting to see if Solomo receives Delta IV .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:01 pm 

Guys,

I picked up the Hobby Boss Borei class SSBN and was wondering if the painting instructions was correct for the exterior?

TIA

Brad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:03 pm 

Brad,

What does the painting guide say to do? Dolgorukiy had a red bow sonar and red bow flank arrays, but was all-black everywhere else and likely would be painted all-black during an overhaul. Nevskiy and Monomakh are all-black.

I personally like to paint the sonar arrays on my submarines slightly lighter than the base color because in real life they are covered with a different paint better suited to acoustic transmission and/or weather differently than the steel hull. I use Navy Gloss Grey for sonar arrays (see this crappy photo of my model of Severodvinsk: http://i.imgur.com/gvyJi6S.jpg).

Jacob

1/350 USS Nautilus
1/350 Tang
1/350 November
1/350 Hotel II
1/350 Alfa
1/350 George Washington
1/72 Type VIIC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:00 am 

Hi Jacob,

What you describe is essentially what Hobby Boss has in their instructions. If that correct, then I'll paint her that way. I have seen any pics of these submarines out of the water showing the colors described by you, so I wanted to make sure that Hobby Boss has it correct.

Thanks
Brad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:33 am 

Hi Brad

You can see my 1/700 K-535 on the previous page (34) .I think paint is correct but only for Y.Dolgorukiy (project 955).As Jacob K-550 and Monomakh are different (project 955A).I think paint instructions on the 1/350 Bronco's Nevsky are wrong , it's the same scheme as Hobby Boss Dolgoruky

pierre

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:07 pm 

Quote:
Last week I contacted boris to change my order for a Golf II or a Yankee but I have no answer .I also still very hesitant ...

Any progress on the Polar Bear orders? I'd like to order a couple of kits, but I got to tell you, your experiences so far make me very hesitant!
Thanks!
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:22 pm 

Rumor has it that Hobbyboss is coming out with a new 1/350 scale Golf class SSB.

Anyone else heard of this? Would be a welcome addition. :thumbs_up_1:

Tks

1/700 USS Maine ACR-1 (Combrig)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:42 pm 

Yes, I've had that on my list of upcoming kits for a year or two now. Haven't heard any updates though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:06 pm 

Quote:
Rumor has it that Hobbyboss is coming out with a new 1/350 scale Golf class SSB.

As mentioned, it's been listed since at least 2013, it even has a kit number. But so far, nothing has materialized. This is a Golf I which was given to the Chinese by the former Soviet Union before the split.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:03 pm 

Too bad. Don't look like we will see this release soon. :cry_3:

1/700 USS Maine ACR-1 (Combrig)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:26 am 

Tom Dougherty wrote:
Quote:

Any progress on the Polar Bear orders? I'd like to order a couple of kits, but I got to tell you, your experiences so far make me very hesitant!
Thanks!
Tom

Hi Tom :wave_1:

Sorry but no answer from Boris

Pierre

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:12 pm 

Thanks, Pierre.
This is why I am so hesitant to place an order. You are now roughly 3 weeks with no response?

Tom

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 845 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 43  Next