The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:44 am 

Thanks for the reply Prowler, so if I purchased the USS New York & the Pontos Set could I paint (Camo) it the way the USS Texas is shown? Would that be accurate?

Thanks again, as I have no real knowledge of US BB's from WW2.

Regards
Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:36 am 

No, the ships were different in a couple aspects. Just wait a little, Pontos has said they will release a Texas set, since 90% of the photoetch is interchangeable between the two ships.

Check the last 2 pictures of this thread, it shows a side by side of the main structures of the NY and Texas

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=159182

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:15 pm 

Thanks JT for the link, I had no idea Pontos was doing a set for USS Texas, looks so good.

Thanks again
Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:20 pm 

Hi all, I am looking to backdate either Trumpeter BB-34 or 35 to an 'as originally built' version. I have both kits in my stash and would like to have an original and a late WWII New York Class side by side. I have been wanting to build a cage mast BB for quite some time and since now 3D printed masts have become available, this might be the right time to get started on the project.
Since I have little experience with ships (I am mostly an armor modeler...) I was wondering how feasible this would be. Which of the two kits would be most suitable and what aftermarket/detailing sets would come in handy? For instance: I have been looking for cage masts, preferably 3D prints, but can't seem to find any in 1/350.
And generally, there is little or no information on a similar project.
I understand a lot of conversion and scratch building would be involved, but I don't mind that. Any thoughts, pointers, reference sources, etc...from more experienced ship builders?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:14 pm 

Right, I guess that summons up what I need to do first: get good reference material. For my Dreadnought project, I bought a book called 'Anatomy of the Ship' that has detail drawings. Is there a similar source for the New york class?
Is your project on this forum?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:31 am 

DavidP wrote:
I'm doing the new York at the beginning of the war & the texas at the end of the war using kitbashed revell 1/426 Arizona hulls.

Interesting! Could you please elaborate a little or point me to where I can see and read more on your project? Whe you say kitbash, what other kits are you using?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:03 am 

Thanks guys for the previous assist with the Trumpeter 1/350 USS Texas which is now on order. I have one question, please understand I know very little about US Navy, so, did the USS Texas ever have the aircraft launcher removed or not fitted on the mid turret during her operation service?

Thanks in advance.
Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:06 pm 

Hey Peter H

At least one time during her WW2 service where it was removed 22 May 1944 at Belfast, N. Ireland and
reinstalled on 25 July 1944 at Oran, Algeria. This is according to captions from "USS Texas- Squadron At Sea".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:54 am 

Hi Prowler, JT, Plastic, & Tracy and everyone else who has helped. My 1/350 Trumpeter USS Texas is on its way to me in Sydney. I have been a bit "stale" recently & hope this kit gets me back on track.

Question I have relates to the instruction page with Step 4 making of the AA units. I can see there is etch for the single guns, but (J18 make 12) And (J 8,9,10, 11 make 8) Can or Are both of these types available as aftermarket ? I guess Vetran ? Again US BB's are new to me so any help is appreciated.

Thanks again all who have assisted.

Peter Hoskins
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:20 am 

Theres aftermarket for nearly everything. The pontos kit includes barrels for all weapons, as well as Veteran Models 40mm quad bofors.

J2+PE-D5 parts (20mm Oerlikons) - L'arsenal, Flyhawk, Alliance Modelworks, Master Models, 3DModelParts, and I think a few more

J8,J9,J10,J11 + PE-D3 (40mm quad Bofors) - L'arsenal, Flyhawk, Alliance Modelworks, Orange Hobby, Lion Roar, Veteran Models, Fine Molds

J4,J6,J7,J18 (3/50mm) - L'Arsenal, Niko Model

H8 (5/51mm) - I think only brass barrels are available.

Check out places like Freetime Hobbies for a good selection.

Lots of unfinished model ships + attention issues = A busy slipway where nothing gets done!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:57 am 

Thank you so much JT, will start to look @ ordering the AM sets this weekend.

Again, thanks

Peter H
Sydney, AU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:52 pm 
Model Monkey
Model Monkey

Accurately shaped twin 14" turrets of both types (there are subtle differences between the superfiring and the main deck level turrets) are also available:

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Model_Mo ... +Ships&s=0

The differences in the 3D-printed designs and the Trumpeter kits' turrets include:

1. the shape of the glacis. The real turrets' glacis was gently curved. The Trumpeter kits' glacis is inaccurately flat.
2. the Model Monkey turret aprons of superfiring Turrets 2 & 4 have fewer gussets than main deck Turrets 1, 3 & 5, just like the real turrets.
3. Model Monkey Turrets 2 & 4, just like the real turrets, have small, asymmetrical rangefinder hoods near the front (Turrets 1, 3 & 5 have no rangefinders). The kits' rangefinders are too small and inaccurately symmetrical. The real rangefinder hoods were not the same size, left and right.

Attachments:
1-144 Texas Turrets (2) 2&4.b.jpg
1-144 Texas Turrets (2) 2&4.b.jpg [ 180.47 KiB | Viewed 2881 times ]
1-144 Texas Turrets (3) 1&3&5.a.jpg
1-144 Texas Turrets (3) 1&3&5.a.jpg [ 139.83 KiB | Viewed 2881 times ]

-Steve L.

Complete catalog: - https://www.model-monkey.com/
Follow Model Monkey® on Facebook: - https://www.facebook.com/modelmonkeybookandhobby
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:05 am 

Thanks Steve

Much appreciated, will look into these turrets.

Reds
Peter H

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:38 pm 

Plastic Habit wrote:
.......Those interested in the 1945 layout should check this outhttp://maritime.org/doc/plans/bb35.pdf

This is the Booklet of General Plans updated in 7/44 as it shows on the left side. She went through some minor mods at New York before going out to the Pacific...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:46 pm 

Yes, it does obviously show the alterations date in 7/44, but who's to say that the plans that are shown ever got the 10/44 alterations entry.

Or, this is a little more far fetched, is that the first page comes from the 7/44 BGP and the rest of the pages are from 10/44. Of course this is
very speculative, but if you look at the word Page in the upper right corner only the first page has a different 'G' -having a vertical leg.
But like I said very far fetched.

Even with the date of 7/44 and the overhaul of 10/44, my point is that you can still use the drawings from the BGP for a 1945 look.

Lets look at the evidence.

Installation of cross-loop antenna for DAK radio direction finder on platform attached aft of forward battle lookout
Installed 10/44, shown in talked about BGP.

New platforms and compartments on mainmast: new radar & fire control compartment, an enclosed lookout compartment, new 20mm ammo clipping room
Installed 10/44, shown in BGP.

Radar platform: SG radar mounted above SK radar.
Not sure if this was 7/44 or 10/44, but is present in 1945. Shown in BGP.

And the coup de gras: installation of the Mk 50 director.
10/44, shown in BGP.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:00 pm 

I wonder if the date could be wrong somehow? I couldn't figure out how they might have mis-entered a date since the mod dates are so different. I believe these are the mods recorded but not necessarily at New York(last entry) since she was performing her S.France mission at the time. During her post D-Day late '44 refit she received the second MK50 director which isn't shown on the drawings either..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:58 pm 

The second MK50 director is shown, but not shown. What I mean is that they did not draw the director in
in the profile drawing. If you look at the profile drawing on page 3 of the BGP you will see that right above
where it says Forward Air Defense Plate it has a 50 DIR. written in. Also if you look at the drawing of the
Forward Air Defense Platform on page 5 of the BGP it shows the location of the MK50 director.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:24 am 

Proposed for the future, not installed? These are quite curious plans. Note, if you actually print these out they print too large(about 2 inches too large at 100 %). The superstructure levels don't match up either.
So many things depicted are post D-Day/ France refit that I think the version is '45 and they just didn't update the revision date..I would like to find some 5/44 era drawings myself..

Post subject: TEXAS WEBSITE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:01 pm 

Hey Texas fans! Great news! Charles Moore's website on the USS Texas is back up! Here's the link:
http://battleshiptexas.info/
Randy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:57 am 

Hi guys,
I'm working on Trumpeters 1/350 USS New York BB34 and have run into a problem. In step 11 when joining the sub-assembly from step 9-10 to the superstructure assembly from step 6,
the PE parts PE-A20 get squashed by part L3. Where have I gone wrong?
Help please!
John

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next