The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:45 pm 

With a scratchbuild there are a few parts or assemblies for which the way to make it begins as an absolute mystery. The masts for the Samaritan definitely belong to this category. I probably spent five times the hours thinking about how to make it vs actual "doing".

The problem was that the masts spring up from the middle of a flimsy bridge between two king posts. How to make it light and strong and absolutely vertical?

The problem started to resolve when I decided to split it into two parts. It was easy to make the king posts strong, vertical and even...so I made and attached them early.

Then the bridge could be strong if there was a channel shaped reinforcement located at the two ends (the channel was made from scrap rectangular tubing).

The mast (a sewing needle) would be vertical if the bottom flange location was fixed and the top flange was adjusted during assembly.

So the bottom flange rested on tape, with a .030" hole right in the middle (and a relief hole below). The channels were glued (I used a tiny spot of "Aleen's Memory Glue" which is absolutely tacky and a wonderful "holder" prior to ACC). A spot of Memory Glue on top of the two channels, the top flange (with the mast inserted in a .040" mast diameter hole at the approximate middle)was then lowered into position. The assembly was adjusted to be vertical and then super glued. Pic 1

Pic 2 The mast/bridge assembly dropped over the king posts solidly and Pic 3 vertically.

Attachments:
MVC-640F.JPG
MVC-640F.JPG [ 87.04 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]
MVC-639F.JPG
MVC-639F.JPG [ 97.2 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]
MVC-638F.JPG
MVC-638F.JPG [ 42.45 KiB | Viewed 480 times ]

aux viewtopic.php?f=59&t=40896

CV-3 viewtopic.php?t=39515&p=263120#p263120

CV-6 viewtopic.php?t=33201&p=201342#p201342

Last edited by JimRussell on Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Report this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:53 am 

Jim,

Nicely done kingposts. Another neat technique to remember.

The crosses and stripes look quite good. I never would have arrived at your solution.

Best Regards,

Mac

Report this post
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13