The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:05 am 

Well, that was quick answer - to be honest, I was hoping that You'll know the ansvers - Thank You, Master Yoda! :-)
:woo_hoo:
So, they just climb over the tube - hm, I wass think that maybe there is a door somwhere back:-)
It's funny that nobody took the picture from front deck edge below to quad mount :-)

What to say - thanks a lot again.

And one silly question - does anyone know dimensions of anchor chain links? - I'll start soon with detailig the bow, so I must find some proper chain

Best regards
Mario

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:44 pm 

SliderCRO wrote:
Well, that was quick answer - to be honest, I was hoping that You'll know the ansvers

We can get (some of) the plans from the national archives, but they don't tell us WHY things were designed a certain way. Certain aspects were just assumed that the reader know why, or that it was a trivial detail they didn't need to know. The same is true with your comment about taking a photo from the deck edge looking down. Many times the photos taken at the completion of work don't even circle the work that was performed and are just waterline photos of the ships. The only time I see detailed photographs of areas are either damage reports or the first time a new alteration is done for a class of ship or piece of equipment. Otherwise it's generally just overall views.

SliderCRO wrote:
So, they just climb over the tube - hm, I wass think that maybe there is a door somwhere back:-)

Keep in mind that these are young sailors with no aches and pains yet and it's better to keep things simple and structure strong. A door has more complications and is generally easier to damage and distort than a ladder.

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:45 pm 

Um, it's my bad english :-(
When I was said that I hope You'll be the one to answer ( because of Your obviously great knowlege about subject) , I didn't mean that I'm dissapoint with the answers- right oposite- I'm very glad and thankfull for informations and picture
Thanks again

About lack of good pictures - it's old man grumblig :-()
I know that was war and nobody takes to much pictures for fun, but as a some kind of ingeneer I like to find as more of them as I can
I dont just put parts together, I like to know the subject - to know how things work ( so my friends call me ''rivette counter :-)) )
And . I dont like to have mistakes on my models , so I try to reduce them as much that I can :-) :-)
So, thanks again and sorry if something sounds wrong
best regards
mario

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:06 pm 

Hey Mario, I helped Dragon with the kits, so I have some good understanding of structure and details. Not as much as I would like, however. Ask away, I will answer what I can!

"Let the evidence guide the research. Do not have a preconceived agenda which will only distort the result."
-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:41 am 

Thanks, that's all I need for now, 'cause I'll start with the bow those days - in 72 it's a lot of work, so that will keep me bussy some time :-)
As I move along, I'll ask You, offcourse :-)
I work as a modeller for others ( http://www.m2models.hr), so I work on Belleau Wood in my spare time...I hope that she'll be finished in some 5-6 Years
TIA
mario

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:40 pm 

Hi,
Besides of what's included in the Dragon Independence 1/350 kit, does one need a wooden deck and extra PE sets?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:52 pm 

The photo-etch that is included is an OK start, but is not complete. The project took long enough that by the end we were bumping into the production schedule if we added any more, so there was not enough time to audit and comment on that aspect. My personal opinion is that no wood deck is needed. I would recommend either picking up some generic railings or a dedicated set to fill in the missing pieces or replace the kit parts outright.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:19 am 

Hi everybody.
Although no longer young, I'm on this forum.
I am a collector of metal planes (diecast or kit) at 1/144 scale.
And because I dreamed of a diorama, I launched the project to build a light carrier (Class Independence CVL), the Bois Belleau (ie the Belleau Wood when he was under the French flag especially during the Indochina War).
After finding the plans I discussed with my stepfather how to build it and his first reaction was to say: "I think that's how we build the pirogues..." . :big_grin:
But he did not abandon me in adversity (and my error), and built the hull, the hangar and the flight deck.

Attachment:
BB 001.jpg
BB 001.jpg [ 114.86 KiB | Viewed 7759 times ]

Since I added the bulges, dug the bridge to place the photoetched carrier deck tie downs and finally I represented the slats of the bridge, one by one... on more than one meter...

Attachment:
BB 002.jpg
BB 002.jpg [ 184.36 KiB | Viewed 7759 times ]

Then I started painting the hull and the flight deck.
For painting it, I proceeded as follows : During the war, US aircraft carriers have the flight deck painted in blue and I thought this color was out when the timber bridge was blasted by the French.
So I spent several layers of Intermediate Blue, then I varnished.
After a random sandpaper passage but sometimes pronounced, I painted in layers of hues light oak and dark oak, with even passages with sandpaper in some places.
This is the result of the flight deck.

Attachment:
Ship BB 003.jpg
Ship BB 003.jpg [ 189.01 KiB | Viewed 7759 times ]

To compare :

Attachment:
Color Flight Deck.jpg
Color Flight Deck.jpg [ 152.65 KiB | Viewed 7759 times ]

But now I would have to make the corbelled constructions.
But I have only few photos of underside of the deck, to see how are placed beams supporting the bridge and corbels.

Message to SliderCRO :
Where do you find information to place the beams under the flight deck?
And what you have informations to the beams corbels?
Can you send me photos of your work ?

Meanwhile, I'll get back to work to place doors, windows, and to finish to paint the hull.

To follow
A please, be indulgent with my english...

PS :
During my research about the Belleau Wood, I met a group of modelers in Mantes La Jolie (a town near Paris) who made the sister ship of Belleau Wood, the Lafayette (ex Langley) in 1/48 scale.
Yes, you read correctly, 1/48.
A real monstrer.
You can see some pictures on my blog, at :

http://144airbattle.blogspot.fr/2014/01/surprise.html
http://144airbattle.blogspot.fr/2014/01/porte-avions-la-fayette-la-fayette.html

http://144airbattle.blogspot.fr/2014/01/surprise.html
http://144airbattle.blogspot.fr/2014/01 ... yette.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:34 am 

To SliderCRO

I have this US deck color photography. It's blue ?

Attachment:
pont d'envol 053.jpg
pont d'envol 053.jpg [ 157.63 KiB | Viewed 7751 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:48 am 

Yep, its well worn-off deck blue

I have some more questions for all - any answer will help
so,

1. Does CVL's have Jeep on deck - and in what color painted - olive drab or blue
2. Does CVL's have Piper Cub embarked, as some of bigger carriers? If yes, what painting scheme?
3. In 33/d3 dazzled scheme

a) how was painted top of the side blisters - deck blue or in colr of the side?
b) whic color were inner side of gun sponson walls - where the munition racks are mounted?

tanks in advance
Mario

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:01 am 

slider wrote:
1. Does CVL's have Jeep on deck - and in what color painted - olive drab or blue

They were alloted at least two jeeps in 1943. They would most likely have been painted in Ocean Gray, but Navy Blue is a possibility as well.

slider wrote:
2. Does CVL's have Piper Cub embarked, as some of bigger carriers? If yes, what painting scheme?

Not normally. CVL-22 had one on her shakedown that we can see in photos, but I've never seen photos of them past this point.

slider wrote:
a) how was painted top of the side blisters - deck blue or in colr of the side?
b) whic color were inner side of gun sponson walls - where the munition racks are mounted?

a) Deck Blue
b) varied based on ship. Most consistently a lighter color in the dazzle scheme.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:14 am 
Tracy White wrote:

They were alloted at least two jeeps in 1943. They would most likely have been painted in Ocean Gray, but Navy Blue is a possibility as well.

Thanks, Master Yoda ! You're the best, thanks a lot.
I trade Piper kit for a Jeep :-) Anyone? :-)

Another question about camouflage measure 33/d3
I have a model paints White ensign and haze gray 5-H is mainly gray .....but on all CVL-24 models on net this color is some kind of blue....what's corect?? On all samples and color charts that I'we found, this Haze Gray is always diferent - there's no match two of them, and all are listed Haze gray H-5 ...
so,is this scheme dark black-blue (5-N), medium gray ( 5-H ) and light gray ( 5-P )
or dark black-blue (5-N), light blue ( 5-H ) and light gray ( 5-P ) ??

I'm a bit confused....
TIA
Mario

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:42 pm 

Mario wrote:
I have a model paints White ensign and haze gray 5-H is mainly gray .....but on all CVL-24 models on net this color is some kind of blue....what's corect??

It depends on which 5-H Haze Gray you have. The Navy reformulated things a couple of times and kept the same designation. The stock number changed, but they did not reference that stock number in anything other than logistics documents. Up until the end of 1944/beginning of 1945, 5-H Haze Gray was mixed using the same two ingredients that 5-N Navy Blue, 5-O Ocean Gray, and 5-P Pale Gray were: white base and a purple-blue tinting paste. So there was some blue in Haze Gray until 1945, but it became less strong with each paint because it was diluted to make the other paints lighter. I would call it "slight blue" rather than "light blue", if that distinction makes sense.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:45 pm 
Tracy White wrote:
Mario wrote:
I have a model paints White ensign and haze gray 5-H is mainly gray .....but on all CVL-24 models on net this color is some kind of blue....what's corect??

It depends on which 5-H Haze Gray you have. The Navy reformulated things a couple of times and kept the same designation. The stock number changed, but they did not reference that stock number in anything other than logistics documents. Up until the end of 1944/beginning of 1945, 5-H Haze Gray was mixed using the same two ingredients that 5-N Navy Blue, 5-O Ocean Gray, and 5-P Pale Gray were: white base and a purple-blue tinting paste. So there was some blue in Haze Gray until 1945, but it became less strong with each paint because it was diluted to make the other paints lighter. I would call it "slight blue" rather than "light blue", if that distinction makes sense.

Thanks a lot, folowing Your instruction I've got paints, - I think it'll be OK
another silly questino - inside of deck lights - black?

here are links ( hope it's allowed here) - i finished aft lift mechanics....:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DsP5L73XK4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKGWXM33Ato
best regards
mario

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 10:20 pm 

Guest wrote:

You got me there! I have no idea about that detail, but black doesn't sound unreasonable.

Extremely nice elevator mechanism!

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:48 pm 
Tracy White wrote:
Guest wrote:

You got me there! I have no idea about that detail, but black doesn't sound unreasonable.

Extremely nice elevator mechanism!

there will be working hangar and deck lights - since the deck is deck blue, I'll paint the holes black
thanks for elvator- it's just begining- there will be another loading mechanism that will put the Avenger on lift, and remove it from it :-)
ps - 5 kg of paint is ready for painting :-)
best regards
Mario

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:44 pm 
another odd question :-)

foamite stations below the deck - do they have doors,or just open holes to the catwalk?? - on all pics and plans I can't figure it out
TIA
Mario

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:10 pm 

Are you talking about on the catwalks "below the deck" or hangar bays? It's been a while since I've looked at them and I don't remember any doors. Early on the hoses for fuel were stored in compartments that were part of the catwalk deck (lifted up to access) but I'm not sure if a similar system was used for the fire fighting systems.

-Barbara Tuchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:28 am 
Tracy White wrote:
Are you talking about on the catwalks "below the deck" or hangar bays? It's been a while since I've looked at them and I don't remember any doors. Early on the hoses for fuel were stored in compartments that were part of the catwalk deck (lifted up to access) but I'm not sure if a similar system was used for the fire fighting systems.

uff...I'll try to find a picture to show what I mean...
TIA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 4:28 am 
here it is - those holes ( doors ? ) some odf them are crew shelters, and some are foamit stations ( if I was understood it right)

so, do they have a doors or was just holes ? that's the question :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next