The Ship Model Forum

The Ship Modelers Source
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:40 am 

So here are some of the pictures I have of the ongoing build of the Billings kit Zwarte Zee 592, the kit is pretty good, instructions can be a bit vague, and also the drawings on the plans are not too clear sometimes, but overall I have really enjoyed attempting this build so far. I think the kit is aimed at someone with more building experience than we have, but we seem to be getting the hang of things now.
Some of the difficulties has lain in the order we have gone through the build, attatching things before painting and vice versa, and other mistakes that I think all would have been avoided by someone with more experience, but the mistakes have all been rectified fairly successfully and we are learning as we go, so all is good.
The vessel is starting to take shape now, but will start the pictures from early on and then for those of you who are not familiar with the Billings kits, or the ZZ herself, you can see what is in the kit and what is required for a good build.

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:05 pm 

So after a little encouragement I decided to share some pics of our ZZ 592. We are actually pretty happy with it, and the only thing we are struggling with a little is the paint finish, which is odd as I am actually a half decent artist when its on canvas but on the model, I am still trying to find a good method with the enamel paints and straight edges, but will figure it out.....maybe try thinning them a little. Gotta find a way because it really lets the model down at the minute.
We are a fair way tgrough the build now, but will start from earlier days with the pics and see what you pros think.....
Have only added a few as I am a bit short on time and wanted to try out adding some pics, will add a few more later on.

Attachments:
File comment: A collection of bits. The plastic hull only needed a trim, and everything else in this Billings kit needs to be built from laser cut parts. The directions are sketchy at times and the parts dont Always fit well together, but with a little fettling they go together quite nicely.
Knipsel.JPG
Knipsel.JPG [ 30.19 KiB | Viewed 3936 times ]
File comment: Hope this works. My self made motor mount from styrene and triplex. They say the motor only runs to 45-50 degrees so shouldnt melt anything, could always add cooling if it gets a bit warmer, or change the mount altogether. Seemed like a good idea at the time, now I'm not so sure.
Eng.Mount.JPG
Eng.Mount.JPG [ 36.41 KiB | Viewed 3936 times ]
File comment: Foreward lower superstructure phase 1.
SS1.JPG
SS1.JPG [ 33.26 KiB | Viewed 3936 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm 

Oh so this is a motorized model. cool :)

Looking good so far. When you're painting are you brushing by hand or using an airbrush? I've found that I run into problems hand brushing and am looking to get an airbrush to add to the workbench for larger areas for more even coverage.

Dallas, Tx

Working on: Revell 1/426 USS Arizona BB-39

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:00 pm 

As you will see in a few pictures time, I am using brushes. Airbrush is top of my Christmas wish list by a very long way. I have more pics to go on here probably a little later this evening, so I think you will see the sad finish, but I won´t stop until I am happy with it, no matter how many times I have to sand it down, mask it up and repaint it.....

Report this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:20 pm 

Dullcoat and Glosscoat, whichever is applicable, helps hide a LOT of bad brushwork. Trust me. I know.

Dallas, Tx

Working on: Revell 1/426 USS Arizona BB-39

In the Stash: USS Arizona 1/700 Dragon Premium, DKM Bismarck 1/700 Dragon Premium, Admiral Graf Spee 1/700 Trumpeter, & Prinz Eugen 1/700 Trumpeter

Report this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:19 am 

Thanks for the tip, will look into those and see if they will be of any help, but my best plan would be to by an airbrush I think, fabulous finish, and extremely versatile. Well worth the coupla hundred euros I think.

Few more pictures to add from the early days of the project......

Attachments:
File comment: The bridge freshly constructed and first stage of sanding done. This is up to now my favourite piece of the boat, was great fun to build and very satisfying to see it take shape.
ff1.JPG
ff1.JPG [ 50.29 KiB | Viewed 3849 times ]
File comment: First painting of the project and the first dissappointment, need to improve my painting skills.
bk2.JPG
bk2.JPG [ 24.79 KiB | Viewed 3849 times ]
File comment: Taking shape a little at a time.....
ff3.JPG
ff3.JPG [ 44.88 KiB | Viewed 3849 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:22 am 

This is what it will hopefully look like when it´s finished.

Attachments:
File comment: Zwarte Zee 592
zzx2.JPG
zzx2.JPG [ 113.83 KiB | Viewed 3849 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:31 am 

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/misc/tugs/zwartezeeiv-200-ms/ms-index.html

And the real ship:
http://www.hoppenbrouwer-home.nl/ikarus/mijnmodellen/zz-fotos.htm

Good luck!

Report this post
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:18 am 

Hi every one !
I'm new in this forum. I've just bought the Zwarte Zee kit and I'd like to know what are the references of the paints to be used for the different parts of the ships. I'll be using an airbrush for the hull and other parts that do not need manual painting.
Could you help ?
Thanks a lot.

Alain

P.S: I'll likely be asking more questions later but that's all for today :smallsmile:

Report this post